Create Account

Keeping New Members active

Hey everyone,

I have a series of suggestions I'd like to make that I think would help to keep our new members active while they are waiting for the draft. I have recruited some people myself the last few weeks and most of these suggestions is based on the questions/problems they had in their first days here.

1. Rookie-Games every week

I've heard about Rookie-Tournaments quite a bit but there wasn't one last season when I joined and it doesn't look like there will be one this year as well. I think we should get those rookie-games back as soon as possible as they could be a very big motivating factor for our juniors. But I would change the system a bit: A tournament doesn't really make a lot of sense while only 20 or 30 new members are waiting for the draft. So let's just divide them into two teams and let's play one Rookie-Game on a fixed day every week, e.g. Monday. The teams will then meet every Monday until the draft.
Since we'd need two "GMs" to make lines for those games, this would also be an opportunity for other members who didn't have a GM-job yet to get their feet wet in GM work and get some experience. And the Draftees would have an incentive to visit the forum at least once per weak, as there will actually be something happening with their player.

2. Make it easier to find help

I know we have a lot of members who are willing to help new members, we have threads that explain everything etc... But we have problems getting this help to those who need it. People still find this site very confusing and they don't really know how the game works when they first register.
One simple solution for this: Maxy and Hoggie, how about you post a link to the Rookie-Guide every time you confirm a new player? Shouldn't be much, if any, work for you and it usually helps new guys a lot.
In a second step, we should make it easier for new players to find the information that's really important for them. Let's face it, the forum is a mess and very confusing if you visit it for the first time, since it is so cluttered with Spam and everything. How about we change the standard-view new players get when they visit the forum for the first time? Hide the EEL, the IHF and other places that aren't necessary in the beginning, so it's easier for them to navigate to the really important content. Of course as soon as they think they understand how things are working, the can un-hide the sub-forums themselves.
The threads to help new people are all there but we should put them into one place where they can find them easily. Which leads me to point number 3...

3. A Rookies-Only Forum

How about making a new sub-forum, that only the Draftees (and the Commishes Maxy and Hoggie) can see? We can put all the relevant information in there so they have it all in one place + it gives them a place for small-talk, opportunities to bond and everything.
Other members and GMs shouldn't have access to this sub-forum, as it is supposed to be a spot that the Rookies can run themselves, where they can talk about things that concern only themselves and where they can ask questions that may sound dumb - without an more experienced player mocking them.
If you are a new member and WANT to start posting, you usually have a hard time finding the right place to do so. They are discussions-boards, suggestion-boxes, media-sections and so on... If we give the Draftees their very own sub-forum they have a place to start talking right away and to help each other figuring out how things work here.

I have some more ideas like doing evaluations, creating new jobs for people to specifically help Rookies, have more established members write about the Rookies and the draft-class etc, but they aren't really worked out yet...

Looking forward to hearing your comments and suggestions Cheers

Cheers, David

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Ilike
good ideas

if you can find simmers, you can probably do the first one.

The second is something that i have been doing and have asked newcomers to pm me if they have any questions.

the third one is a great idea im good with that one.

[Image: RBQhWRP.png]
[Image: sLnhTvh.jpg]

nice ideas winter

Ilike

GM's should have access to look but not post in that LR. So they can observe who has the best activity etc.

[Image: w2d9MYW.png]

#1 and #3 are brilliant ideas!

These are great suggestions, I don't see why we couldn't work out all three of these. I have no control over the last two but I could possibly help out with the first one. We'll see what Maxy and Hoggie decide on but if they are interested in doing rookie games weekly there are a lot of simmers on the site and they can contact me.

[Image: thejesster435.gif]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ryan Jesster - HoF Goalie (S1-S14)
Proud Calgary Dragon Alumni 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragons | Sweden | Raptors

Quote:Originally posted by Snappy@Jan 10 2012, 11:32 PM
GM's should have access to look but not post in that LR. So they can observe who has the best activity etc.

I also had this thought but came to the conclusion that we shouldn't do that. Make a room for them where they have no pressure at all and have a free and save space, where you don't have to worry about your draft-rank when you ask/say something.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

OcA, you are the freaking man! Outstanding suggestions and just in time for me to get excited about this league again. I won't lie, I'm getting more and more bored here by the day..watching veterans fight, suspensions, days go by with no hope to hit that 70 mark.

I'd have no problem being the Simmer for any sort of rookie tourney or rookie games. Just throwing that out there.

And seriously, we need to do something to keep us newbies engaged. I can only play dumbass arcade games so much while I wait for a the NWJHL draft.

Ilike

repped

Former
SHL Head Commissioner S12ish-S27ish
GM Dragons S8 & S9 (Won cups both years)
2x GM Of The Year
5 Time Cup Winner
League MVP

Past Players
[Image: HOF2.png] D - Aidan Richan - [Image: HOF2.png] (S5 11th Overall) Dragons
[Image: HOF2.png] C - Chico Salmon - [Image: HOF2.png] (S17 1st overall)  Renegades

Current Player
D - Chico Smeb (S46)

SMJHL - Drafted 65th Overall by Raptors
SHL - Drafted 23rd Overall by Dragons

Still don't understand why link to Rookie Guide isn't in the welcome message.

[Image: CamNosreh.png]

i like...i think its pretty easy to find help...all you have to do is ask

i love the all-rookie forum tho.
thats actually a great idea

Great post Cheers

#3 is my favorite idea, I think it would be good for them to have their own area to talk amongst themselves, and get used to the website.

I dont see how 1 and 2 would be difficult at all either. Im sure the junior commishes will have no problem with that 2nd idea and like Jessiter said, there are plenty of people who wouldnt mind simming a game or two a week.

Perfect Ideas David!!!

[Image: NiclasWastlund26.gif]
#40 Niclas Wastlund - W - VANCOUVER WHALERS Whalers / MINNESOTA MONARCHS Monarchs
[Image: vlPUU9v.png][Image: ammBPLt.png][Image: rnZeas5.png][Image: V9MXpXR.png]

Those sound like good ideas to me. I'm looking for more ways to get involved before I get drafted.