Create Account

Better Know a GM - Riggsy

By: Alice Morgan
Kelowna Daily Courier

Alice: First of all, thanks for taking the time to interview with me.

Riggsy: No problem, thanks for having me.

Alice: You’re coming off an extremely success season. How did you feel about your team’s future coming off a strong playoff run?

Riggsy: I believe we have the pieces to go out and do it again. Chemistry is one important aspect our team is lacking. Max McDonald was a big loss, but I believe Joshua Botelho can make up for some of it.

Alice: While it’s early in the season, the Scarecrows’ have the highest number of shots allowed per game and are allowing significantly more than the league average number of goals per game. Do you have any immediate plans to address this, or do you feel it’s something that can be fixed internally?

Riggsy: I don't believe defense is necessarily a problem at all, it is arguably the best defense in the league on paper. The problem is finish, we have 30 shots on goal per game but rarely do we ever finish. I believe this problem can be finished quick and easily if the players train to their maximum capacity.

Alice: What do you look for when you’re evaluating and projecting a player? Do you ever draft for a team positional need, or do you go with what you feel is the best available player?

Riggsy: It really depends, the transaction of Dominik Makarov was on both team needs and the best available player, Paurs was BPA, while Botelho was the best of both worlds.

Alice: Is there a particular “style” of player you look for? Would you prefer a two way player, or one that specializes in offence or defence?

Riggsy: Two way game. It worked for us last year, it should be working for us this season, we're a playoff team that switches into another gear, and having two way players will help us in the long run.

Alice: Which rookie Scarecrow do you feel will have the greatest impact on your team?

Riggsy: Joshua Botelho is the heart and soul of this team. He is the biggest steal of the draft and I feel he will light it up come playoff time.

Alice: What kind of “identity” do you want your team to have?

Riggsy: Big, rough, hard to play against. We're trying to be a defensive minded team.

Alice: With so much roster turnover at this level, how do you ensure that you build a team that can compete every season?

Riggsy: Drafting well, with all of our drafts, we've had active picks at every pick, even going up to the latest picks.

Alice: Is there a move that you made this offseason that you’re most proud of? On the other hand, is there a move you made (or didn’t make) in the offseason that you regret?

Riggsy: Picking Botelho, this guy is a key player on our team. No move I regret really.

Alice: Do you have a message you want to send to your rivals?

Riggsy: We're just getting started, good luck, we hope we give you a challenge.

Alice: Thank you for your time and good luck this season.

Riggsy: Thanks you for having me.

A big thank you to Riggsy for participating in our Better Know a GM series!

(556 words)

Cough"when Cuffy Chose Botelho" Cough for that 3rd last comment from riggsy :ph34r:

[Image: cuffana.png]

Lol Botelho couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

He couldn't score even if she was wasted and only a 2

He couldn't pass to a grain of sand if he fell off of a camel

He couldn't skate his way through a maze even if the rats helped him