Create Account

Official Magic: The Gathering Thread

Quote:Originally posted by GCool@Nov 17 2015, 08:44 PM
Would it be advisable to buy a few packs of this new set and see what's up?

All of the starting guides I see are outdated, can I trust there haven't been any big rule changes?
After cracking the box to get started (if you can, go for it, but money can be better spent elsewhere)

I started playing constructed in paper at FNMs. A $15 draft was an awesome way to get back into playing & grab some cards to play casual with. Then I signed up for MTGO and made a standard Bogles deck for about $10 and play that when I'm feeling like playing on weekdays.

I've spent about $150 all in costs to get back started and have played a ton (2 drafts and 5 standard tournies). You could reasonably do it for $50 if you want to play online & paper. Or budget out $15 once a month for a draft if money is a bit tighter.

I'm very happy I chose to start playing again.

[Image: kickz_jr.png]
Thanks to Merica for my sig

Quote:Originally posted by Baelor Swift@Nov 17 2015, 08:37 PM
<object width="460" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mYuF3T7s7XY"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mYuF3T7s7XY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="460" height="315"></embed></object>

I'm so glad I watched this until the end. Dude waits for it, starts to flip, looks him straight in the eye, and chunks that shit

Don't play anymore but I still have my decks. I sold all of my extra cards about a year ago and made close to $1000 on them :D Decks I still have though:

Grixis Mind Control(Blue, Red, Black)
Vampire (Black)
Tooth and Nail (Green)
Psychatog Deck (Black, Blue)

Haven't played a game of Magic in probably close to 3 or 4 years though, it's fun as shit but god is it a money pit.

[Image: eyM9Y3U.png]

[Image: 2gotrRl.png]

I sold my cards. So much regret.

And Cool, the mulligan is to prevent having to mull to 5 which in competitive is nearly a forfeit outright from card advantage.

I have 9 constructed, 1 standard contructrd and two EDH decks. Best probably a white/green control deck.

[Image: CamNosreh.png]

I guess I'm worried about getting completely owned because I was never THAT great and am now a total noob.

I'm gonna get the Deckbuilder tomorrow I think. Heh.

[Image: OaSEcaw]

Quote:Originally posted by :C.A.S.H.:@Nov 17 2015, 09:17 PM

Get a deckbuilders toolkit, it will have four of the most recent packs, a box, lands and astorage for $25. Gives you a great idea where the game is currently.

Fuck Ulamog.

IMO buy singles. I bought a toolkit in M15, it's not really all that helpful.

Also I saw mention of a standar Bogles deck in here. I'm thinking of doing that myself, seems like a cheap way to play my friends who play standard.

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

Quote:Originally posted by GCool@Nov 17 2015, 09:48 PM
So what you just call Mulligan and Scry 1? Lol I wonder what prompted that
the original rule change was that you could scry as many times as you mulligan, but that was too broken.

RIP Mac & 701

Quote:Originally posted by Eggy216@Nov 17 2015, 09:05 PM
IMO buy singles. I bought a toolkit in M15, it's not really all that helpful..

I probably would buy singles, but the rest of my cards (~1700?) are at home. I could use the lands - and if the stuff I get looks cool enough, I'll go home and get them next chance I get.

Quote:Originally posted by GCool@Nov 17 2015, 10:09 PM

I probably would buy singles, but the rest of my cards (~1700?) are at home. I could use the lands - and if the stuff I get looks cool enough, I'll go home and get them next chance I get.

If you have cards at home and you want to use those, you'd want to play modern anyway, not Standard.

[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]

So I bought the event deck and 3 boosters (I have money, and I wanted to see how the new sets worked).

It seems ... rigged compared to years' past. Really quick games, lots of token/mana/sacrifice/damage/repeat set-ups, etc. Can someone confirm / debate this with me?

Caught a foil rare on the first pack. Also, what's a red color instead of gold/silver/black mean?

Red is a mythic.

Quote:Originally posted by Eggy216@Nov 18 2015, 08:12 PM
Red is a mythic.

Is that good? Did I break it?

Also, care to share your thoughts on this block? Has this been what most sets of recent memory (i.e. post 2008) have been like, or is this ushering in and catering to a new, quicker play-style?

Quote:Originally posted by GCool@Nov 18 2015, 11:24 PM

Is that good? Did I break it?

Also, care to share your thoughts on this block? Has this been what most sets of recent memory (i.e. post 2008) have been like, or is this ushering in and catering to a new, quicker play-style?

Mythic are even more rare then normal Rare and are usually very good cards...usually.

This block is all about speed, the most recent set like this was the original zendikar. Normally Magic cycles in their speed, if you were to look at Onslaught, I could win on turn 3-4 with a mono red deck easily, then Mirrodin came out and that was lightning fast and then later, you have Kamigawa block which I and a lot refer to as battlecrusier magic, huge build up, epic fight and lots of destruction.

I caved.

I bought MTGO.

Quote:Originally posted by Eggy216@Nov 19 2015, 07:57 PM
I caved.

I bought MTGO.

There is a red card that allows you to win from turn three through a broken mechanic. They know of it, have refused to bother fixing it cause they have your money.

"Enjoy"