Create Account

Prospect Talks Showcase, combines A sit down with Hendrickson

Halfway through the Prospect showcase new names are becoming popular as old favorite face new challengers. And with the start of the draft combine the prospects certainly have their work cut out for them as they roll on towards the draft. New performances and old names are circling in the waters, and it might be high time to catch up with some of the players caught up in the drama of this year’s draft. In that spirit we sat down with rookie prospect William Hendrickson, and asked him a few questions about his experience in the SMJHL draft life.
Interview
How are you feeling today, after five showcase games and two combines?
You know, I feel good. My play could be better, I’ll admit that. But I feel really good about my combines. I started off real slow with very few minutes in games, but now that I’m getting a few extra minutes I’m really getting my legs under me. Once the showcase is over and I can get back to my regular training I’m feeling very confident I’ll be able to be drafted. Right now it’s all about putting in a good name for yourself.
Interview
Walk us through game one, if you will.
Game one was real tough for me. Going -1 in just under nine minutes of playtime is never easy. I definitely felt like I wasn’t able to make an impact on the game. Add to that a handful of turnovers and I wasn’t focused. I definitely think the pressure got to me that first game. Trying to impress not only your squad GM but also all the scouts and GMs who would be watching the showcase? It was tough. First time hitting the ice in an SMJHL sweater was exciting though.
Interview
What about games 2-5?
Game two was a lot like game one, nervous that I hadn’t put out enough to get noticed. But game three was different. I finally got myself to focus on playing my game and it showed. Two hits and much cleaner passing meant I was having a better time on the ice. Games four and five I’m definitely feeling like I’m meshing with the guys on my line. I’m still not in the best shape statistically but I think my effort out there is really starting to show. I’m excited to see what comes up in the final five games of the showcase.
Interview
How are you adjusting to life in the SMJHL?
You know, at first it was really difficult, new cities, new talent, new friends, all of that. But I think I’m settling in nicely. The training here has been great, I feel my game is already starting to improve and I’ve only been here for like what, two weeks? Three? There was definitely a learning curve to playing here but now I’m starting to get real into it.
Interview
Give us a taste of what the rookie locker room is like.
Oh man, it’s great. Good group of guys. You’d have to be there, I can’t put words to it.
Interview
Now to the combines, who did you do combines for today?
Today was the Montreal Impact and the Detroit Falcons.
Interview
Who do you think got your best showing?
Oh dear, I hope they both did. I’m really trying my best to put out a good word for myself. Get the GMs talking about me. What I’ve found is that stress will ruin you if you let it get to close during these events. I learned from the showcase I just got to relax, take it slow, and play my game. If I do that, the team that I can succeed best with will see it and draft me. That’s my philosophy. If I want to compete, I have to play my game and no one else’s.
Interview
Who of these two teams would you prefer to go to?
Oh man, that’s tough. I haven’t had much experience with Montreal, versus having had several conversations with the GM for Detroit. I’d be excited to play with either team. But I know you won’t let me walk without giving a straight answer. Personally, I’d like to be in Detroit. I know the GM there, and I’m looking at a team that’s just coming off a cup win so I know they know how to get to the highest level of the league.
Interview
Where would you want to go in the draft?
As early as possible. But I will go where I will go. Right now I’m not focused on that. I’m all about playing hard and doing the combines.
Interview
How’s Montreal treating you?
The city? It’s been great! It’s a famed hockey town and I’m proud to be playing here. It’s enough to make any player jealous. Getting to come to such a storied city and play for the future of a league that has a team here is great. I love the opportunities here. My choice in hotel couldn’t have been better either. I got a great view. I’ll say it again, it’s been awesome here.
Interview
What are looking forward to when it comes to draft day?
Seeing all the guys get suited up for the big day. Seeing the jerseys get put on, it’s going to be a blast. Seeing new friends and acquaintances take the stage as they get drafted is going to be like nothing else. I could go on for hours about the guys I’ve met here. They all deserve a first round pick in my book.
Interview
Any other words for the fans or family?
To the fans – You guys have been top notch. Really loving the support in this city.
To my family – I know you’re worried about me but I’m doing fine. I’m in a good league with some great players. It’ll be all right.

Thanks for sitting down with us.
Thank you as well.

Clearly Hendrickson is going to be looking forward to the draft with excitement that belies the nerves he may be feeling. Coming to such a big event in any leagues off season has its up and downs. We extend our hopes to all those players who are going through combines and playing in the rookie showcase.
This year’s draft is going to be one of the largest the SMJHL has seen in recent years. With over 100 new prospects looking to join the league it will be a battle to make it into the top levels of this year’s draft. Halfway through the rookie showcase and just beginning the combines, we’re sure players like Hendrickson will be looking to make a name for themselves. Until that time, we’ll just have to wait and see.

(Words: 1,112)