Create Account

PT 2: Draft Day

Draft day. It's a day you'll always remember. Were you nervous? Did you go higher or lower than expected? Did you end up on the team you wanted? Inquiring minds want to know. Give us a rundown of your draft day.

Requirements

Written option: Must include 200 words.
Graphic option: Create a graphic of your player accepting his/her new jersey. Must include 1 player render.

Payout

4 TPE for doing the thing.

Only S34 SMJHL Rookies (S35 SHL Rookies) are eligible for this PT.

Do not claim this TPE until a post is made in the claim thread.

Deadline
April 16, 10:59 PM EST

[Image: thistidalwave.gif]

ArmadaUkSpecters
Player | Updates

It was 7th april 2017 the draft started for me at 2 o'clock in the morning in germany it was a good day until this morning i got my meals and my sleep i had no problem to be up this late and follow the live stream of the draft at my laptop with my family.

i was excited would i get drafted and who will draft me?

Then the first draft round expired this went not as i expected. Will i get drafted in the second round will a team pick me up or will i went undrafted this is what i thought in this moment.

But then with the 4th pick of the second round the kelowna knights drafted me i couldn't be happier my dream comes true i was drafted in the team i always wanna get drafted to.

I freaked out and could hug the world my mom and dad did hug me i was so so happy after the draft i got my interview and everything went fine for me.

i hope i can find a connection with my future team mates and maybe we can build a new knights dynasty who will win a lot of titles #futurechampions

[Image: P9htSSf.png]
[Image: Sr4Rvg.gif]

#TeamFuhrby
#knightsknation

"I couldn't say exactly how it felt because I don't think there are words accurate enough to describe how I felt on Draft Day and how I still feel every time it comes to memory.

I remember waking up and priming myself for the day--to say I was surprised that it was happening at all would be an understatement. After all, what little kid from Germany isn't shaken up when he finally gets the opportunity to chase his dream? I remember putting on a suit for the first time in... what felt like years and then stepping out to do the last of the business I had needed to take care of. A couple of pre-draft interviews, nothing terribly important.

And then it happened. I'd told my father to wait until the third, maybe the fourth round, before my name would be called. I was expecting to be sitting for quite a while. Robert went first overall, as he damn well should have, and then Sophia followed. That was Vancouver's way of telling the other teams to stock up. Tooth went third overall and I think I might have been happier for him than I was for anyone else.

And then someone called my name. Fourth overall, to the Colorado Mammoths. The team that I'd been so encapsulated by during my time as a draftee.

Pulling that jersey over my head and seeing the reactions from my father, from the crowd, from my friends in the draft pool (Tooth especially, that bastard)--that was one of the greatest moments of my life. Not sure I'll ever forget it."

<div align="right">- Finn Krüger, Radio Interview 4/9/17</div>

[Image: MvfRxO2.png]
sigs by me bitch

During the week leading up to the draft, I was in contact with manangement from every SMJHL franchise. Some conversations were short and sweet because of the fact that only a select few teams were in the market for a starting goaltender. There were other teams that were interested in drafting me if I would be willing to wait in the wings and play a back-up role until their starting netminder moved up to the SHL. That role was of no interest to me to be completely honest. I mean, every player wants to play with the opportunity to showcase their skills and develop their game. So, when draft day rolled along, I knew that I was going to be selected to one of two teams, the Halifax Raiders or the Prince George Firebirds. The Raiders held the number six and number twenty-four overall picks, while the Firebirds held the number three and number fifteen overall picks. With not much in the way for demand of goaltending in this draft class, I knew the number three and six positions were off the table for me. As I sat in my seat patiently in the jam-packed arena with my family, I nervously awaited my name to be called until Prince George management stepped up to the podium with the number fifteen pick and selected me! I walked up onto the stage, a bucket full of nerves and threw my new jersey on over my suit and the Firebirds hat as we posed for photos. I was not familiar at all with the Prince George management or players but following the draft, I was welcomed with open arms into the locker room. I am very happy that they selected me and am excited for the opportunity in front of me as the starting goaltender for the Prince George Firebirds!

[Image: fever95.gif]
[Image: LpkqUbe.gif]

PREVIOUS PLAYER STATISTICS

"St. Louis I think, but listen - mama, I gotta go --"

"What do you mean you think?"

You try not to say something you'll regret. It's not her fault you're this tense -- shoot, you didn't even think your name being said before half the second round was tucked away to bed was all that likely until the phone call you'd gotten this morning.

"I'd be more than happy playing for you all, sir," you say. You wonder if you said something to indicate otherwise in the prospect interview you had with the Scarecrows management staff, you wonder if you were somehow deficient in the combine or at Worlds. "The Crows seem dope."

"That's good," Joe Kurczewski replies, laughing a little. "That's real good kid, because we like you for number five."

You blink. You look down at the banana in your hand, and then across the hotel room table where Krüger -- who agreed to room with you here for the draft after WJC training camp in Dresden -- gives you a strange look in return.

"You OK?" he mouths, raising an eyebrow. You wave him off.

"I might, uh, I might go before your fifth pick of the draft, sir," you stutter, trying to do the mental recall. Marley had shown you sheets -- does St. Louis even have five picks? Is this a joke?

"Fifth overall," Kurczewski clarifies dryly.

"Oh," is all you can think to say. "Oh, OK."

That's a hell of a lot higher than you thought you'd be going.

"You never really know until you're up there," you hedge, your mom clucking angrily on the other phone.

The music in the ballroom's started up, you can feel your phone vibrate with incoming texts as you peek through the hall doors back to the floor full of young hockey hopefuls, all eyeing the stage. You might be panicking, just a little.

"And besides, I really gotta go," you try again. "I love you, I'll call you once I know for sure."

You feel tremendously bad about it, but you hang-up then, without really waiting for much of a response. You catch half the texts as you close out the call screen, all variations on the theme of the night which is -- where are you? It's about to start!!!

You pocket your phone. You sneak as quietly as you can back into the room, and then, back to your seat.

You zone out, trying to stay calm. You clap on autopilot when they call Robert Phelps -- no surprise there. You start clapping again when the second name is called, and it takes a while for you to realize that the room has kicked-up a low-grade murmur. You look at the stage, now, force yourself to pay attention. That's not St. Croix, or even Murray -- the son of a famous Vancouver GM; it's Sophia Bennett.

She looks fiercely proud as she pulls on the Whalers jersey. You find yourself clapping a little harder.

She's clearing the stage as Prince George's management take the podium, and you start clapping on cue with everyone else, not even realizing anything is wrong until you're being jostled hard as someone slaps your shoulder. You turn towards Aleksandrov who's sitting at the table with you and Krüger and Garrett, about to ask him what the heck he thinks he's doing when Krüger pulls you into a huge -- whispering fiercely -- "You owe me a hundred bucks a bottle of Hennessy you fucker."

You're not sure what he means, you'd bet on who'd go higher in the draft, after all, and you know they're not on St. Louis' first pick yet.

Bewildered, you turn and once again, look at the stage.

It's your name on the screens.

It's your name on the back of the jersey the Firebird's GM is holding.

"Holy shit," you say a little dumbly, and try to figure out how to move your legs.

Draft day. It's a day you'll always remember. Were you nervous? Did you go higher or lower than expected? Did you end up on the team you wanted? Inquiring minds want to know. Give us a rundown of your draft day.

Draft Day was incredible. Not only was i treated with first class service from the first step out of my car, but my family was as well. It really made this special/nerve racking time of my life that much more memorable. Moving onto draft day. I had alot of discussions with my family and agent about whether or not we'll attend the draft or just hang with friends and family back home. I said I wanted to be there in person. I wanted to shake my coach, GM and Owners hands, look them in the eye and say, "Drafting me was the greatest decision this organization has ever made." I didn't care about being embarassed if i started to drop down the draft board. That was my decision and what i wanted to do.

Next comes draft day, my family and i were brought in through the back players entrance of the arena, all the draft prospects were treated to free food and drinks etc. I got talking to Tommy Toothsome for a little about draft position and teams etc. we both agreed as long as we both get drafted, it doesn't matter. Which, coincidentally is fantastic because we both ended up being drafted by the Firebirds. Soon after, the draft starts, tommy goes #3 as expected, i knew i was in the position of either being a top 10 pick or dropping deep into the draft. Once the first round ended, i was the only prospect still waiting at the draft in person. I think that's when it all dawned on me that no matter where i'm projected, there are no guarantees in this sport. Pick 18,19, then 20 go by, now i'm starting to worry. I'm also a little pissed off, all these teams are passing on me on after the other, pick 21, pick 22 and then suddenly, as my entuhusiasm was all but gone, my phone begins to ring. It's a Prince George area code. I look at my dad, he has like a half smile/look of appreciation on his face, my mom is just straight up frozen and staring at me. And with the 3rd pick in the SMJHL entry draft, the Prince George Firebirds select, out of St. Louis Missouri, RW Jay Beagle Jr! It was like a dream come true. I couldn't believe it, finally, everything i had worked for my entire life had just came true, now, it's time to go to work.

I am extremely excited to start my career with PGF. We have a very solid rookie goaltender and d-core, as well as some pretty talented forwards. I will also be getting an opportunity in the top 6 to begin the year so I don't think i could've found a better situation to start in. I'm truly honored to be a Prince George Firebird, and I will never forget the 7 other teams that passed up on me. I plan to play with that chip on my shoulder my entire career.

It was a crazy day to say nonetheless. Couldn't sleep the night before. So excited to know that I was going to be officially a member of professional hockey. I thought of all the teams I could possibly go to that were interested. St. Louis, Montreal, Prince George. I thought all these teams would be a great fit and I would give my all to every team that drafted me. Then it happened.

"With the 8th overall selection in the Season 34 SMJHL Entry Draft, the St. Louis Scarecrows are very proud to select Khet Chupp"

Reality hit me. I was a Scarecrow now. I had trouble forming sentences for a couple of minutes. The team I had the most discussions with pre-draft had put their trust into me. Me of all people.

Immediately I was congratulated by co-GM of the Scarecrows, Joe Kurczewski and I felt like this was my new home. The locker room, full of open arms welcoming the new rookies on the team. I feel when I look back upon entering the SHL, I will know that St. Louis was the right destination.

Hell, I'm already being given Top 4 ice time with 2nd line Penalty Kill. The amount of trust this organisation has put into me as an individual and a hockey player is far more than I ever would have expected.

My goal now is to win the Four Star Cup with this team. I definitely feel like we can make a huge impact in this league.

[Image: nZm6qE4.jpg]
Press photo of Angelo Odjick donning the Vancouver Whalers jersey.

Were you nervous?
I was extremely nervous, and honestly I’m still a bit jittery. I really didn’t know what to expect or where I was going to go in the draft. I figured I was going to be late in the draft, but I was hoping to go early. It was a bit nerve racking listening for my name to be called with each pick. I’m hoping the butterflies will go away before our first game; I really want to come out with a strong showing for my new team and show them what I can do.

Did you go higher or lower than expected?
I went pretty close to where I expected a bit higher to be honest. Sixteenth overall is a huge accomplishment for me. I really thought I was going to be third or fourth rounder. I am very proud to have gone in the second round, even as the last pick in the second. I knew Robert Phelps was going to be number one, I’m happy we are getting the opportunity to play together again.

Did you end up on the team you wanted?
I’ve been a Whalers fan since I was a kid. My dad used to take me to a lot of the games. I’ve said before I would have been happy to play in any city. But, I am ecstatic that I get to represent my home town in the SMJHL. I couldn’t be happier being drafted as a Whaler.

[Image: 2BYlmZn.png]

Robert Phelps accepting his Vancouver Whalers jersey after being selected 1st overall by the Whalers in the SMJHL S34 ENtry Draft

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Leading up to the draft, I had no idea what to expect because I’m a different type of player from everyone else. There were projections with me going anywhere from late second round to the early fourth, so I was ready for anything to happen. The thing that I didn’t expect was to be drafted by the Militia with their first pick of the draft; the first pick of the second round.
It feels amazing to be drafted by a team with the pedigree that Montreal boasts, especially considering that they are the defending champions. Adding onto that the fact that they deviated from the conventional projections to snag me that early in the draft really makes it a special feeling, and I can contribute early to an elite squad.
After the draft, I was immediately welcomed warmly to the militia family with grapes welcoming me personally and the rest of the team saying hi to the new guy. Getting acclimatized to the culture here is a lot of fun, and the guidance of the vets makes everything easy. That first day as a member of the militia was amazing and the culture of winning and development is going to make it really easy for me to grow my game and help us repeat.
Love the team, love where they got me, going to love winning.

Interview with Daedric Heikennin

Going into the draft day i was definately nervous. I had been in contact with a couple of teams leading into the day but there was no certainty it would lead that team being the one.
I thought that added to the excitement however; not knowing which team I could go to ya know? I read a couple draft predictions and saw that i was most likely
going to be drafted in 3rd to 4th round, but that didn't concern me too much. I just wanted to be on a team where I got the chance to play my game.

Going to the Colorado Mammoths as pick number 18 was really special though. To have a team select you with a pick they traded for really shows how much they
believe in you. Standing up on that stage receiving my jersey will always be a special day for me and my family.

To be truthful, I haven't really thought about that day since. Its been so hectic and fun meeting with my new teammates and trying to find synergy on the ice.
I hope that by the time the season starts we will have created a team that can do great things, a team that forces people to take notice.

What can I say about Draft Day? To be honest a lot of it is kind of a blur for me. I remember not being able to sleep the night before; not because I was nervous, but because I was just too damn excited for what was going to be happening that day. Every athlete in a draft scenario wants to go number one overall and if they tell you they don’t, they are lying through their teeth. I knew there wasn’t a good chance that I was going to go first overall, but I was hoping that I would go in the first round. That honestly was my goal for this draft. I didn’t know, however, that I would be going to the Scarecrows. They were definitely one of the teams that I had had a little bit more communication with during the whole process, so I knew that they were interested in potentially bringing me in. I didn’t really have a team that I had my heart set on getting drafted by. That being said, I am very happy to be a part of the St. Louis Scarecrows organization. They have a lot of great players and I think that we will have a bounce back season this year.

GO SCARECROWS Scarecrows Towel

RenegadesUsaRenegadesUsaRenegadesUsaRenegadesUsaRenegadesUsa
[Image: GkHz3HI.png]

[Image: T8nB5Dn.png][Image: KXZ8h4k.png]

The days leading up to the draft were a Virtual blur. Signing that contract with the SHL on march 28th left little time to make sense of this vast league in time for the draft. Much of that first week was about asking questions, following leads and stumbling on to activities... to be honest the draft was the least of my concerns.

By week 2 I began to recognize names, I new where to find basic information and by following the clues.... I had built up a relatively decent week of completed tasks. It was right around that point where the first Mike Izzy draft sighting accrued! Ranked 16th in a pre draft write up i began to scour for information on this draft, it's participants and the teams involved...This was now SHL priority number 1!

Confidence that i could make an immediate draft impact began to grow as I shifted from 'trying to understand' to 'understanding' my role in this new league. I began to familiarize and eventually visit each franchise (filled out there draft Bios) I strengthened my skill set by banging out the available assignments and I even went out and bought a suit.jpg! By the morning of the draft it was my belief that I had done enough to allow teams to overlook the unknown Izzy factor and warrant a mid draft selection.

I watched the draft live and as it began my hope was to see an Izzy selection somewhere between the 10th and 20th picks... but as the each name got called out a recurring theme began to surface which was that teams liked drafting known quantities. 2nd or 3rd generation players and teammates from the past were like draft comfort food.... suddenly I began to worry that the unknown project from Whitby didn't have the same allure as I thought i may. By pick 10 I was just hoping to be drafted.

I was quite pleased to see the Izzy Name called with the 22nd pick! Coach Jenny's 'Welcome to Kelowna' words validated the work I had put in since signing out of the CCHA and the general feeling I had was gratitude to the Knights. The risk that they took on me was noted and the welcomed nature of this organization was appreciated! Now that the draft is over i want to reward the Knights for taking a chance with Mike izzy by becoming this drafts most potent power forward while helping this franchise win a title.

With the hard work leading up to it and the ups and downs while watching it... overall the draft experience was quite exciting!

[Image: C8xoHquXgAAivgy.jpg]

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

On the date of the SMJHL draft I woke up extra early, I’m still not sure if I even slept that night because I was so nervous… a part of me was also excited but mostly nervous. When I first entered the league my goal was to be drafted in the Top 10, but two days prior to the draft my competitive side took over and I changed my personal goal to Top 5 as I had been in contact with quite a few general managers before and had a rough idea of where I was headed. I remember sitting at the draft center with my family and I heard Robert Phelps drafted to the Vancouver Whalers 1st overall. They stayed up at the podium to announce their second draft pick and I heard my name, I don’t remember anything that went through my head at that time it was all a blur… The next thing I remember is pulling the jersey over my head and presenting the crowd with a big smile. I was not expecting to go 2nd overall at all, that was a big surprise for me… and I think everyone else who was being drafted. I had two teams that I was interested in joining and the Whalers were one of them, so when I got selected I was super happy. I’m so honored to be a part of such an elite league and so excited to be a whaler. After the draft I was immediately welcomed into the Whalers Locker room and got to meet most of the players, they were all so welcoming, I can’t wait to get things started!

<div align="center">Whalers Whalers Whalers </div>

Stampede Citadelles  [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]  Citadelles Stampede
[Image: goilers.gif]

Well, I missed the draft, so I’m going to talk about free agency. Honestly, I kind of wish that I had been drafted, simply because it was such a tough decision choosing who to sign with. I could have signed with any of the teams and felt good about it. It’s nice that I got so much attention as a free agent, but it was stressful trying to nitpick and really decide what the best choice for me was. I’m still very happy with the team I chose and I know that we will be successful, not only this season but going forward as well. All of the GMs in the SMJHL seem to be very proactive and helpful, and they made my entrance into the league as smooth as it could have possibly gone. I couldn’t be more excited for the regular season to get under way, and I’m especially looking forward to developing with my teammates and pushing our team to new heights. It’s an honour to be a part of the Montreal Militia, and it’s an honour to be a part of the league in general. I look forward to being able to show what I can contribute to my team. Militia