Create Account

Pay the GM's

With the amount of turnover and the difficulty of finding suitable replacements I think that HO should look at giving GM's a salary of some sort. I understand that these are fairly prestigious roles that people sometimes want and will do for free, but that doesn't change the fact that most people can only dedicate so much time to this site and GMing for most would eat into time they could dedicate to other jobs or article writing.

I'm not saying that this would open the door to better candidates or even getting more applications but I think I it's worth a shot. Good, reliable GM's play a vital role in keeping the SHL running smoothly and members active.

The last week of offseason is a nightmare for us GM's

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

While I agree to some extent, being a GM is one of the more entertaining/fun jobs in the entire site. If you want to pay GMs for the time they put in, that's great, but make sure it's less than some of the more tedious jobs like Updating. Grading or Banking.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

I agree with this. Not so much because I'd get paid then, but then GMs wouldn't need to also hold other jobs on the site and we can give other members those positions. Using myself as the example:

I spend a LOT of time per week setting up lines, testing, scouting, helping my players with builds, etc.

And then I still have to do the banking stuff so I can get that cool 5.5 million.

If you pay me that to do the GM work, I can give up my bank slot to a non-GM member who could use the cash.

I asked for banker applications (and I got a bunch and need to decide, I know), and half of them were GMs needing cash.

I think paying SHL/SMJHL GMs $5 million a season isn't a bad thing.
We toyed with paying IIHF Fed Heads $3 million too.

Implementing these will help the league as a whole.
It'll help spread the wealth around.

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

im broke i need money id like this thanks

I agree completely with what Joe said in the previous comment. I'm personally not in financial struggles because I have taken advantage of double media weeks and tried to keep myself from drowning. But I can see a lot of my fellow GMs needing cash to keep up with their training and not having the time to do both GM and Updater/Banker roles. I don't expect the job to pay huge amounts. I'd honestly just say enough to cover training for a season ($4m?) is all that is needed. In turn this opens up another job spot for a non-GM member and allows GMs to focus even more on making sure their role is done the right way.

[Image: 3GSD0dd.gif]
[Image: m1IMt5k.gif]

Pay them.

I mean I help manage the budget for the SFP and it's tedious enough to keep it up to date, and to micromanage all of the various contracts. I can't imagine how tedious it is for line management, keeping up to date on all of your rookies, making sure everyone on the team is happy, and trying to keep your team competitive, all on top of managing your own player, keeping them up to date and still having a life outside of the league with IRL commitments like school and/or work.

They deserve some sort of pay aside from a dope ass role.

PLAYER | UPDATE
[Image: BBr47PN.png]

[Image: m9F8nRF.png]

I like this idea, but the other problem is, is the others that help out as well. We would need to go back to the management budget again because most teams now have guys helping scout, or do other things such as running Sims for you while you do all the shitty paperwork for your team. You would need another budget and then as a head separate it accordingly.

[Image: WtrC9qy.png]

FalconsJapanpride

Of course the second I get out of a GM slot this comes into vogue...

I agree, kinda salty but I agree

While I agree with the sentiment, I disagree with the practice.

While I'd love some extra cash flow, when I was GM I felt like I could've done it with my eyes close. Sure there's some deadlines to meet, but they're not difficult tasks. Maybe it's because I had such a wonderful co in RED or such a dutiful helper in Tomen, but I never worked a day when I was gm.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

Also, keep in mind that in the short run, making GMs a paid job will make it harder to get a GM job as many of those who left the market previously would be coming back with superior resumes.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by artermis@Oct 10 2017, 07:29 AM
Also, keep in mind that in the short run, making GMs a paid job will make it harder to get a GM job as many of those who left the market previously would be coming back with superior resumes.

Don't we want the best GM's possible in the roles?

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

offseason is usually the most difficult tasks, with most time being spent preparing for the draft, having the draft, free agency, keeping a budget, and finalizing all the GM checklist. During the season it's a little easier because it's just lines and possible trades. But yeah offseason gets pretty brutal. I'd gladly open up my banker spot if I could get anything for this.

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Quote:Originally posted by artermis@Oct 10 2017, 09:29 AM
many of those who left the market previously would be coming back with superior resumes.
That's not a bad thing.

What's pay for, anyway? It's for contributing content and activity to the site, right? Even with media, that's the point. It's also to encourage people to take on tasks which need to be done for the league to function (tasks that aren't always fun), isn't it? GMs do both of those things.

That's why we pay bankers, updaters, graders, etc. How are GM roles any different in that regard? All the aforementioned jobs require a time investment, they're 100% necessary... but we're not paying GMs?

Seems silly, doesn't it?

[Image: tZTGSGj.png]
[Image: 2AFxw6o.png]

I'd support this.

While it's an honor to be a GM and I'd continue doing it for free, after 17 seasons I can say it's definitely a lot of work at times and I've always felt we should get some compensation. Especially with the condensed off-season now, tasks, timelines, budget, etc. Not to mention in-season player/team upkeep, pm's and so on. GM's can't take a day off. It's all how much you want to commit to it but I'd imagine most GM's commit a lot of time to managing all aspects of their team.

GM's normally take home town discounts or minimum contracts also so they can pay their players. Getting a little salary each season would be nice to help make up for that.

We do work hard, it's an important job in the league. Even a few mil a season would be nice.

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite