Create Account

S40 Championship Week

TASK ONE: Your player has been invited to do color commentary for Game 1 of the Finals. (Un)fortunately, your player’s decided to drink a bit before making this guest appearance. In at least 150 words, write a transcript of the opening commentary of the game and your player’s introduction.

PBP: Welcome to Game 1 of the SHL finals, my guest commentator is a man well-known in Winnipeg for having the hardest name to pronounce in the country, it's Vijanupatan Singh. Vijanupatan, welcome.

VS: bagooska

PBP: sorry?

VS: yes hello it is me vazabusa sing and i will be doing commentary for this game thank you for having me john

PBP: Absolutely, Vijay, can I call you?

VS: absolutely not

PBP: Um, ok. So, what do you think of Roman Augustus heading into this series? Do you think he can put up the points despite being pretty inexperienced in these high pressure situations?

VS: FUCK THAT GUY STUPID ST. LOUIS HACK CALGARY SHOULD BE ASHAMED TO HAVE HIM ON THE ICE

PBP: woah vijanu-

VS: HEY FUCK YOU BRIAN TRY TO CENSOR MY OPINIONS CAUSE IM BROWN? IM GONNA GO PUNCH HIM IN THE NOSE

PBP: Well, Singh just jumped out the booth and is currently headed towards the ice, we'll have more updates as security attempts to keep him from disrupting the game. And that's the puck drop!

TASK TWO: Who is your choice for the unsung hero of the S40 playoffs up to this point? Must be at least 150 words and include at least two statistics in support.

Alex Mack, in my opinion, is a very strong candidate for unsung hero of the playoffs. On way less minutes than everyone around him, Mack managed 12 points in 20 games, and that is despite being incredibly unlucky with a 3.5% shooting percentage to boot. The veteran center managed this production despite not getting much help from a young Hunter Jones and a very old Esa Anrikkanen on his line. Mack managed to be 5th on his team in P/20, behind only massive names like Louie Garrett, Joe Kurczewski and Dani Forsberg. 11 of Mack's points were assists, with 3 of them on the powerplay, showcasing a very strong ability to get the puck to the forwards he plays with, getting Anrikkanen 6 goals and even 3 for Hunter. Mack has never been a massive name in the SHL, but as his career starts to dwindle, he has shown time and time again that he is a core part of the Dragons organization that will be very difficult to lose.

TASK SIX: Both of the goaltenders in the finals have put up a remarkable battle for their teams to get them this far. Between the two starting goaltenders, who wins the goalie battle, and will it be enough for them to bring their team home a Cup win? Justify your decision in at least 150 words with at least two goalie statistics and one team statistic.

Honestly, regardless of the actual result of this series, Richard C. Hocolate was and still is the the better goalie throughout the playoffs. The man has been unreal for the Dragons this playoff season, and was absolutely crucial to their success. Not only did he finish with the best SV%, and the best GAA, he only faced 4 more shots than O'Koivu, meaning the massive difference in stats honestly isnt even factored by sample size. Hocolate was the best goalie in the playoffs by a long shot, and that is clear.
Not only that, but Hocolate was a very large part of the team's final series. He was inconsistent and had patchy form, as he had almost as many good games as he had bad,but he absolutely turned it on in the most crucial moment, almost singlehandedly bringing his team a win in game 7. Hocolate has been one of the most consistently good goalies for season after season since he entered the league, and he deserves another challenge cup on his shelf.

sent both trivia tasks

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Player Page
Update Page

Task 1:
*BURPS ABRUPTLY*
Holy shit, it’s the motha fuckin challenge cup! And here I am again, Chippy Chiclets, your resident scrub who’s not in the challenge cup finals to tell you all about it.
Everyone’s making noise and shit because they think that this is their year, but they have yet to realize that the best team in the entire galaxy, the Edmonton Blizzard, *BURPS* are not in it so what’s the fucking point, am I right.
Okay, okay, hockey. People are skating. They look god awful. I think there’s a bunch of anthems going on, so I’m going to sit here quietly.
*BURPS DISTINGUISHLY* haha psyche. Fuck that, I’m here to raise some hell. Okay, let’s talk about the lady singing the anthem. I didn’t know susan boyle was from Calgary. Oh wait, that’s just the way that Calgary singers look. I guess that’s what you get when you’re entire identity is centered around a horseshoe.
Oh look, they’re announcing the starters. Isak Odegard, what a scrub. You know I’m better than him, right? Like much better. Like, couldn’t skate circles around him, but if you ask anyone in the league who’d they rather be around *BURP* is C to the Hippy to the Chick-Fil-A-Lets. But no one gets that. Remember when Lui Koller was a thing? Yeah, no thanks. There’s only room for one defenseman in this draft class, and I’m it. Mediocre I may be, but at least I go hard and bring the fuckin rhythm, you know what I’m saying?
All right, I think we’re getting started. I’m now getting looks. You guys fucking suck, I’m going back to my seat. Fuck Calgary! Go Blizzard!
Code:
Word Count 280

Task 2:
There’s only one choice for the unsung hero of the Season 40 Challenge Cup Playoffs, and that’s the man with a plan, a stand, and hot dogs to spare, Austrian Mike Izzy. The Calgary Dragons winger is a dominant force on the Dragons team, and that type of physical presence is necessary to weather the long, painful, and tough grind of the Challenge Cup Playoffs. Izzy leaves no stone unturned and no skater unhit. He’s put up 50 hits, a crazy high number that has left opposing players in his wake. This not only makes room for the rest of his line, but himself as well, as the timid nature of opposing players towards Izzy has given him 17 points in 19 games. Holy shit! Combined with the offensive prowess of other forwards on the Calgary Dragons roster, Izzy is a unique player who provides depth and a well rounded game to an already talented team.
Code:
156 words

Task 6:
You cannot talk about the goaltending in these S40 Challenge Cup Playoffs without mentioning the spectacular performance of the always impeccable Richard C. HOcolate. My god what a performance this young man has brought to his team. So far he’s put up a .928 Save Percentage, and his defense has stood strong at 2.4 Goals Against Average throughout these games. Calgary will win this series because of their strong performance in net. Some say the Goalie is the most important penalty killer on the ice, and Minnesota is learning that the hard way. While Calgary is enjoying an 85% Penalty Kill percentage, the Chiefs are sitting ungly at 76%. Wow, what a hit! You can’t win a cup if you can’t stop the man advantage, as the increased intensity of the playoffs naturally brings out a more physical style of play. Hocolate’s play, especially on the penalty kill, is what will lead Calgary to a Challenge Cup in S40.
Code:
159 words

Task 4: Sent

Task 9: Sent

TASK ONE: Your player has been invited to do color commentary for Game 1 of the Finals. (Un)fortunately, your player’s decided to drink a bit before making this guest appearance. In at least 150 words, write a transcript of the opening commentary of the game and your player’s introduction.

Luuk "The Archduke" Kraaijkamp here with you for Game One of the SHL Finals between the Calgary DragQueens and the Minnesota Racist Mascots. I'm here today for god knows what reason. Why invite someone who hasn't played a single minute in the SHL to do color commentary for one of the biggest games of the season? Who cares, let's do it anyway! So I am here today to talk to you about the match-up between the Calgary Dragons and the Minnesota Chiefs. Both of these teams are full of cheaters and their uniforms are ugly. The leaders for these squads definitely do not look good in the playoff beards. Especially Mike Izzy, his beard is super patchy. Looks like we a terrible game on hand. But next year when the Toronto North Stars make the cup, we'll see a much better finals. Until then I am Luuk "The Nuke" Kraaijkamp and this is the SHL Finals of Fox.

(158 Words)

TASK TWO: Who is your choice for the unsung hero of the S40 playoffs up to this point? Must be at least 150 words and include at least two statistics in support.

Adam Kaiser is easily my choice for most underrated player in the SHL playoffs. While his 11 points was a very positive part of what he brought to the team. His defensive play is what really did stand out to me when checking for playoff performers. He led all players in hits during the playoffs with 75 and finished second in blocked shots with 29. While he did finish the playoffs with a -1, this wasn't too big of a deal because he played such big minutes for the team. When you play nearly 25 minutes per night you're likely to be out there for quite a large number of goals for and against. He was a true playoff performer for the Calgary Dragons these playoffs and was one of the reasons the team was able to bring home the Challenge Cup. His two-way defensive play showed that having a solid defender that can play both aspects of the game truly allows teams to shine. They might be the most important player on any team.

(175 words)

TASK FOUR: Unscramble the names of these four players who will be competing in the Challenge Cup Finals. Send the answers to me by forum PM. You will not get credit for posting the answers in this thread. Please make the subject of the message “CW Word Scramble." [Grading: 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer]

SENT

TASK SIX: Both of the goaltenders in the finals have put up a remarkable battle for their teams to get them this far. Between the two starting goaltenders, who wins the goalie battle, and will it be enough for them to bring their team home a Cup win? Justify your decision in at least 150 words with at least two goalie statistics and one team statistic.

Richard C. Hocolate is one of the more interesting goaltenders the league has seen over his career. He never hit the peaks of other goaltenders but he has always been a rock in the net for Calgary. He plays a very steady game and is always ready for what teams throw at him. I feel like the roster in front of Hocolate is what swayed the series, but he definitely deserves credit for what he provided the team in terms of structure, continuity, and steady play. While O'Koivu, I believe, is the more dynamic goaltender, sometimes dynamic goaltenders can have off days. And I think with the margin of error being so difficult for the Minnesota Chiefs in this series - Hocolate will benefit with his steady play. I am not surprised the Dragons came out on top with the series win. As goaltenders are only a small part. Hocolate led all goaltenders over the playoffs with a .922 SV% and a 2.57 GAA and I believe his great play alongside a VERY solid defensive group is what allowed this to happen. The most telling statistic for the finals is the Penalty Kill % for the Dragons as they are what might have been the biggest factor for why the team won the cup. As Hocolate played very well a man down and Calgary was smothering compared to Minnesota.

(227 Words)

TASK NINE: Trivia! Send the answers to me by forum PM. You will not get credit for posting the answers in this thread. Please make the subject of the message “CW Trivia.” [Grading: 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 for each correct answer.]

SENT

[Image: 3GSD0dd.gif]
[Image: m1IMt5k.gif]

Task 4 & Task 9 sent to pris.

Task 6:

Richard C. Hocolate is one the most consistent goaltenders that the SHL has ever seen. He's established himself as one of the leagues top goaltenders and he's proven that he has what it takes to win important games. I think that Hocolate's proven track record over the years will be a huge boost to the Dragons and the team is probably very confident with him in net. On the opposite end is another goaltender who has enjoyed an excellent career. Coming off of a Challenge Cup & obviously continuing his impressive play with another deep run through the playoffs, the artist formally known as Kyle Whalgren has been a big reason the the Chiefs have enjoyed a lot of recent success despite the retirement of superstar goaltender and Chiefs legend Robert Andersson. Ultimately I think that the goalies of both teams are a big reason why they found themselves in the finals. I have to go with Hocolate here because we chel.

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

Task one:
"Bonjour, here we are today on the day that we've all been wanting. Here it is, come and get it: Number one game today for the h-*hic*-ockey we all enjoy to do. What a day today is to be here, thanks for inviting me to speak even though Calgary beat out Texas like a pack of wild assholes they are. Here I am today to be like "What the fuck hockey? Why do you forsake me so?" It's not an easy question to answer, I know. So I ask you: Are you ready? Are you ready for the game? Are you ready to be disappointed like I was? Because I was very disappointed. We all were. We all still are. But here we are. Today. On the day we've all been want... Waiting for. That day is one game - game one of the Stanley... Challenge Cup Finals. Here we are."

Code:
150 words

Task two:
My unsung hero now as ever is Fedor Shirobokov of Minnesota. Let me clear up the <a href='index.php?showuser=495' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-17'>Confusion</a> surrounding this pick. Shirobokov is an excellent defenseman perhaps not being used properly. While on the top pairing eating up 40% of available ice time, he is tasked with playing a stay-at-home style even though he is built more to push offense. In spite of his deployment he has put up excellent numbers at 1 goal and 9 assists in 20 games. One good thing coming from his deployment however is he leads his team in +/- at +10. Very respectable for a defenseman. He does not shy away from laying the body either with the most hits on his team at 31. He truly is an underappreciated part of the Chiefs and very often overlooked throughout the league. I'm watching though, Fedor. I'm always watching. He is an exciting player to watch as another player that appreciates offense.

Code:
151 words

Task four:
Sent

Task six:
My money is on Olli O'Koivu to win the goalie battle in this final. Olli is an excellent goalie. Olli loses to Chocolate in the playoffs in save percentage at 0.909 to 0.922. He loses to Chocolate in goals against average at 2.79 to 2.57. He loses to Chocolate in wins 11 to 12. He loses in all his goalie stats to Chocolate, but here's the thing: Koivu is the better goalie. Far and away. Calgary has a better supporting cast than Minnesota deflating O'Koivu's stats. Minnesota has a combined shots for/ shots against of 104.8% to Calgary's 94.9%. This means Calgary may not be as good at generating chances, but they are better at capitalizing on errors made by Minnesotan players. If Minnesota could stifle such high quality chances better O'Koivu takes home the cup. Or maybe if they could finish more of their opportunities it would take the work load off their star goalie.

Code:
156 words

Task nine:
Sent

[Image: T8nB5Dn.png][Image: KXZ8h4k.png]
[Image: duderino.gif]

Clint Eastwood, Jun 10 2018,  09:36 AM Wrote:Can't buy love, but love can buy a lot.

TASK 2:

Unsung hero of these playoffs is Esa Anrikkanen, my GM and the oldest player in the league, He may not be a top scoring player anymore but he's a motivational leader out there for the Dragons and scores timely goals when he's needed most. He scored 6 goals in the playoffs and 2 of them were game winning goals. He was the person who scored the overtime winning goal in game 7 against the Winnipeg Jets to move the Dragons into the finals. Without Esa scoring that goal the Dragons do not win the cup, so that's a hero right there. He may be 50 years old and played 90 years in the league but he's truly a hero and watching him out there is motivation for the rest of us. 6 goals 2 assists, 8 points and 3 powerplay points may not be jaw dropping every goal he scored was heroic because he's so old.

TASK 3:

[Image: https_www.discountmags.com_shopimages_pr...xtra_i.jpg]

TASK 4: PM'd 5/8

TASK 7: [Image: d_RAGONS.jpg]

TASK 9: PM'd 5/8

[Image: Depositphotos-46829959-original-1024x602.jpg]

My choice for unsung hero is Calgary Dragons forward Dani Forsberg. He’s a great player and doesn’t get as much notice as guys like Joe Kurczewski, but he’s just as important to Dragons. You need a full team to win the cup and can’t just ride one superstar player. The Dragons have a lot talent and Forsberg is one of the best. He’s played great the entire playoffs. He even scored 3 goals in game 1 of the cup finals setting the tone for the Dragons in the series, they went on to win in game 7 and he scored the game winning goal. He’s definitely been a hero of this series for Calgary. He finished the playoffs with 12 goals, 7 assists and 19 points. He scored the most goals of any player in the playoffs. I don’t think the Dragons would have won the cup without Dani Forsberg playing like he did. He’s my choice for unsung hero of the S40 playoffs.

TASK THREE: Create a magazine cover showcasing one of the players who will be competing in the finals. Must include at least one player render, player name, a magazine title, and at least one story preview/headline.

[Image: UCNMEtH.jpg]

TASK FOUR: pmmed

The two goalies in the finals are Richard C Hocolate for the Calgary Dragons and Olli O’Koivu for the Minnesota Chiefs. Both have played excellent to get their teams to this point. O’Koivu has the edge in experience because he won the cup last season with the Chiefs so he’s been here before, he should know how to handle the series. That being said, Richard C Hocolate has been the hottes goalie of the entire playoffs and is coming into the series on fire. Hocolate also has the desire to win his first cup where O’Koivu may not have as much since he won last season. I think we’ll see Hocolate win the battle and bring home the cup for Calgary. He’s my choice which is also supported by statistics. Hocolate has a .922 Save percentage and a 2.57 goals against average in the playoffs. As a team Calgary has the lowest goals allowed in the post season with 2.63 per game.

TASK NINE: pmmed

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, Ragnarr, and sulo for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

Code:
Game one is almost underway, and we have the two shitty teams we're all tired of watching ready to hit the dot: the Calgary Dragons and the Minnesota Chiefs. Don't despair sports fans, we're really excited to read you the same damn names you've been hearing for a dozen seasons or more. We're gonna talk about experience, depth, defense, and goaltending. We're going to use phrases like "That's how you play this hockey game" and "you have to get pucks on net" even though they're horribly unprofound and obvious. But what more do you want? We've arrived here at a lackluster matchup, it's only fitting that you guys get lackluster commentary to match it. Maybe they'll surprise us, but if I were a betting man I think we're going to have a pretty vanilla shitshow here. Fuck Calgary and the horse they rode in on. Chiefs may be alright, we'll see.

[151 words]

Code:

Sebastian Strange has to be one of the top contenders for the MVP of this postseason. He's lit it up for the Chiefs, nearing the top of the charts in a number of individual scoring categories while playing some key minutes for his club. Strange has potted 9 goals so far, good for a tied 3rd place in postseason scoring this year. His league leading 24 points only tell part of the story -- Strange has a staggering 85 shots on goal as well. While nobody is surprised to see Sebastian tearing it up, it's difficult to argue that the Chiefs would be seeing similar degrees of success without him. At under 22 minutes per game, it looks like Sebastian Strange has some room to take an increased role in the Chiefs lineup in future seasons, underscoring his impact as one that will span multiple seasons to come. Or maybe not.

[150 words]

Code:
TASK FOUR: Unscramble the names of these four players who will be competing in the Challenge Cup Finals. Send the answers to me by forum PM. You will not get credit for posting the answers in this thread. Please make the subject of the message “CW Word Scramble." [Grading: 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer]
PM'ed

Code:

On paper, the goaltending battle surely goes to the Calgary Dragons. Richard C. Hocolate has more impressive numbers (0.922 save percentage and 2.57 goals against average) when compared to the Chiefs' netminder. Olli O'Koivu is posting a more modest 0.909 percentage and 2.79 goals against average. As with the rest of this game, these things don't happen in a vacuum though. On a team level, for example, we can look at shots on goal allowed per game. The Calgary dragons are at a disadvantage here, allowing a slightly higher number of shots per game (33.05) when compared to the Minnesota Chiefs (31.20). While close in number, those extra couple of shots could be a difference maker, even with an elite goaltender like Ricahrd C. Hocolate in net. This is likely less important than the goaltending battle on special teams, where the Dragons have an edge on both the powerplay (23.61% vs. 21.13%) and the penalty kill (81.82% vs. 72.06%). Thus, I think the Dragons will take it because they've demonstrated a slight edge in net, but a sizable edge in the supporting cast surrounding them.

[185 words]

Task one:179
Carlson Calla: "Hello ladies and gentlemen. Today we are here in Calgary for nothing other than game one of the Challenge cup. Next to me is man that had a shot on the cup last year, but fell short against the Minnesota Chiefs, give him a warm welcome. Mr. Maximilian Wächter from the Los Angeles Panthers. Welcome Max."

Maximilian Wächter: "higs, blurb, higs heeellllloooo laaaaaaadiiiiiiiiiiiiiies, I am looking for one of you. And Carlson you are an asshole to mention my cup lose. But why the fuck I am here, I don't remember, I was out there drinking some beers and an Idiot paid me some money??? I should stop drinking so much?"

Carlson Calla: " You are here today to do a color commentary for game1!"

Maximilian Wächter: "I can give you some color, right in to your face, two blue eyes if you want "higs", stop swinging around or I have to throw up!"

Carlson Calla: "Can please someone bring out this drunken bastard before he ...... oh it's too late we need something to clean it"

Task two: 165
The unsungen hero of the S40 playoffs (every year the same old story again Smile ) This year I chose a guy that have been in the spotlight for many season. He has one everything and is a living idol, not only in Calgary but also in the league. To be honest there are many candidates in the Dragons line up, but I talk about Mr. Chickenparm himself Esa Anrikkanen. He now played his 23rd season in the league and isn't slowing down that much as everyone would expect.

Task four : pm send

Task six:273

For the reason that the finals have been played, we will have a look at what the two goalies have been able to do there.

Game one:
It was a hard working day for Olli O'Koivu, he had to face 45 shots in this game and allowed 5 goals for a 0.889 save %. His opposite Richard C. Hocolate only let in one goal from 28 shots for a great 0.964. So Richard C. Hocolate leads the series.

Game two:
Calgary dominated again, but this time C.Hocolate wasn't as good as his team mates. He finished the game with 0.852 and O'Koivu with 0.861. So the series between the goalies is tide by 1:1.

Game three:
One more time the Dragons dominated the game, but O'Koivu had a fabulous day. With 42 saves good for a 0.955 compared to C. Hocolate's 0.906 gives him the 2:1 lead.

Game four:
a very balanced game, but O'Koivu took home the win. 0.909 - 0.865. O'Koivu leads the goalie series with 3:1

Game five:
First time in the series that the Chiefs have been the better team, but C. Hocolate was thinking different and took home game four with a 0.943 save %. C. Hocolate back in the game, O'Koivu still leads 3:2.

Game six:
This game brought us with O'Koivu a series winner, he finished the game with 0.923 and leads now with 4:2 before the last game.

Game Seven:
C. Hocolate stroked back with a great performance with a series high of 0.967. He lost the goalie duell against O'Koivu, but I believe he can live with them very well as Challenge Cup Champion.

Task nine: pm send

[Image: wachter3.png]
Alexander Wachter, RW, S51
Carolina Kraken - Texas Renegades - Winnipeg Aurora 
Player Page // Update Page

I think there is a couple players you could choose here. Think if the Chiefs ended up winning the Challenge Cup I would've wnt with Halfdan Thorsteini. I thought he had a quiet solid playoff run, but they didnt. So I am going to go with Calgary Dragons center Randy Randleman. I know it seems weird putting Randleman as the unsung hero but in my mind he is. He had his role slightly reduced this season as he gets into the twilight of his career. But despite that he still had a great playoffs for the Dragons. As the second line center, he put up a nice 13 points in the playofffs. He provided good secondary scoring for his team. He also played a ton of special teams minutes, espicially on the penalty kill. No one played more penalty kill minutes then Randleman on the Dragons. Finished with 53 total penalty kill minnutes.

TASK FOUR: Sent

TASK FIVE: Create an infographic breaking down and comparing the teams’ performances for one of the games of the finals. Must include at least five sim statistics and both team logos.
[Image: dc58YUe.png]

So I am writing this after the series has already concluded. Going into the series tho, I was definitely thinking that the Minnesota Chiefs starting goalie, Olli O'Koivu, would have the edge in the finlas here. Both goalies had very good regular seasons for their clubs. C. Hocolate had the slight edge in the regular season. Finising on top on both Save Percentage and Goals Against Average with 0.922% and 2.57 gaa. Very solid numbers. O'Koivu was not too far behind finshing respectfully with a 0.909% and 2.79 gaa. Despite that I still think O'Koivu had the edge and not just beacause I think he is a slightly better goalie, but because I think overall the Cheifs have a better defensive group to help O'Koivu. On the back end they have veterans like Alonzo Garbanzo and Noctis Caelum plus some new young stars like Isak Odegard. Not like the Dragons don't have a great d cores, bbut if I had to choose I would take the Chiefs. That is why I gave O'Koivu the edge in the series.

TASK NINE: Sent

[Image: TommyWestbrook.jpg]
[Image: UznKCpb.png]

Quote:TASK TWO: Who is your choice for the unsung hero of the S40 playoffs up to this point? Must be at least 150 words and include at least two statistics in support.
In regards to this year's SMJHL Playoffs, it's really easy to point to players like Jacob Dorty and Mikhail Lokitonov for their contributions to Kelowna's first four star cup win since S32, but it would be criminal not to mention Flacko Lagerfield, who in his first junior season, was just an absolute monster for the Detroit Falcons. Leading his way to a fantastic rookie season, Lagerfield also put up an impressive 17 point performance, making him one of the only SMJHL Rookies to lead playoff scoring. you could argue Kelowna didn't play as many games as Detroit, but even in this scenario I feel its hard to take away from Lagerfield's achievements here, especially as a rookie. This doesn't even touch Lagerfield's other impressive stats, like his 5th place 39 shots on goal, or his 10th place 277 minutes played. Say what you will about the Detroit sweep, but Lagerfield did everything he good to keep Detroit in it, up until the final minute of Game 4.

Quote:TASK SIX: Both of the goaltenders in the finals have put up a remarkable battle for their teams to get them this far. Between the two starting goaltenders, who wins the goalie battle, and will it be enough for them to bring their team home a Cup win? Justify your decision in at least 150 words with at least two goalie statistics and one team statistic.
Ultimately there's no way that any goalie can touch Hocolate in terms of a goalie battle. Richard Hocolate was a tough nut to crack in net for 3 rounds straight and this finals battle should prove no different. A striking difference as Hocolate edges out O'Koivu in GAA (2.57 > 2.79) and Sv% (.922 > .909), despite facing more total shots throughout the playoffs. A big factor outside of Hocolate though has been the team in front of him, where Calgary's fantastic 81.82% Penalty Kill rate has provided a lot of breathing room for the Dragons net minder, allowing him to find success at the stage he's been put on. Oddly enough, the Chiefs Defensive Zone FO% is higher than the Dragons, albeit only marginally. This should have lead in an edge for O'Koivu, but its more likely that the Chiefs defensive play wasn't up to snuff to capitalize on these faceoff wins, even with stalwarts like Garbanzo on the backend.

Quote:TASK SEVEN: Design a comical fan sign that you might see in the stands during the Cup finals. Must include one player name, a number, team logo OR team colors, and a slogan or text.

[Image: jirtrmz.jpg]

TASKS FOUR AND NINE SENT VIA PM

[Image: bjobin2.png]
[Image: 9tINabI.png][Image: c97iD9R.png]

**First GM in SMJHL history to win 3 Four Star Cups back-to-back-to-back**

TASK 1
Doc: And Welcome to the first game of the finals of the SHL! We have two greats teams battling it out toni…
Marmeladov: Boooo!
Doc: ...Well um...yes my guest commentator obviously has some strong feelings against these two teams.
Marmeladov: *off screen* Can I have another beer? I'm getting nervous again
Doc: As we start this game lets look at the starting goalies of the night.
M: I heard they kissed each other before warm-up
Doc: What…?
M: Huh? I’m a Communist don't mind me
Doc: What does that have to do wi...nevermind we should get back to the game. As we see these two teams you have to commend their ability play defense at such a strong level.
M: Only thing strong about these two teams is something in my pants! Am I right doc?
Doc: No we dont say that.
M: Why not?
Doc: Were live
M: Your mom is live
Doc: What? What does that even mean?
M: Im a Communist
Doc: Can we get security! Please!
M: What you wnta to fgtit me?
M: *Screams of Marmeladov being dragged away by security* Your not even a real doctor!

Task 2
SHL Season 40 unsung hero for me would be Roman Augustus. The leader in shots blocked this playoffs with 32 blocked shots has made him extremely important for Calgary Defensive Core. Augustus has been a huge factor for Calgary and his been one of their best defenseman, while he has +1 he has been effective on the offensive side of the puck, as he has posted 3 goals and 8 assists. He has also not costed the team with any silly penalties as he only has 2 PIMs. And while he is not the most aggressive defender as he only has 6 hits he makes up in many different area with moving the puck and being extremely smart positionally as he is one of the leaders on the Penalty Kill. If Calgary wins the team will definitely have to thank their top defender that will only get better with age.

Task 6
The finals where all the pressure is put on goalies and everyone has a microscope so they can scrutinize every little movement the goalie makes. In these finals though two of the best goalies will be facing head to head to win the cup. For Calgary Richard C. Hocolate will be the netminder. He has been phenomenal this season and the postseason recording a .922 save percentage and a 2.57 Goals Against Average. While for Minnesota Olli O'Koivu has been every bit as good in the regular season. But in the playoffs he has struggled a bit, with a .909 save percentage and a 2.79 goals against average. Though both the goalies will have a huge impact on who wins the games I think as a team Calgary will have a better chance at helping out their netminder. For Calgary is holding on to a 81.82 penalty kill percentage compared to Minnesota's who have a 72.06.

[Image: vikian.gif]

“With us in the booth today is a special guest, straight from Halifax, Raiders captain Yannick Berger! Yannick, it must be disappointing that you aren’t on the ice right now”
Let me stop you right there, I’m furious that I’m not down there. We should be down there, I shouldn’t be in a goddamn booth. This is some crappy consolation prize before I head up to start training with Edmonton.
“Well, I get your frustration, it certainly is annoying to miss out and with the word out of Edmonton being that you’ll be up in the SHL next season, it seems like your Four-Star chances are nonexistent anymore. But we should focus on the game at hand. Who do you think makes it out as champions Yannick?”
Uh let me think. If I had to guess whatever team didn’t beat the Raiders in the postseason.
“Raiders played neither team, the Mammoths were knocked out by the Knights in the previous round.”
Well you just figured out who I’m rooting for, although both teams can go suck a *bleep*
“Uh Berger you can’t say that, we’re live right now. Maybe you should take a breather and recompose yourself during the break.”
(197 words)

Brock Becker to me was the unsung hero. While he wasn’t their top scorer, he was their top faceoff man, controlling the one with 53.95 faceoff win percent. Being able to win faceoffs gets your team in a good spot and allows you to get off of defense faster and shooting the puck and possible goals. Becker was also a good power play contributor, scoring 4 of his 6 goals off of the powerplay. Being able to score when it matters is what helped the Knights win it all, as capitalizing on penalties and 5v4 situations are a big part of the game. Becker was able to help the team win in special teams and faceoffs, being their top scorer on the power play and their top faceoff man. Both are important facets of the game, and to me are a bigger factor than just points scored for the team. While outright scoring is nice, winning these phases of the game allow the team to control the pace of play and take advantage of costly mistakes. (176 words)

TASK FOUR: Sent

Well the playoffs are over, and we already know which team won the 4-Star Cup. Damien Blackfyre and Sebastian Primeau were both fantastic leading up to the finals, and in the finals only one could leave victorious. Although Primeau had the better percentage of saves, with .900, compared to Blackfyre’s .893, Blackfyre was able to win the goalie battle and help the team take home the championship. Blackfyre allowed less goals on average at 2.83, compared to Primeau’s 2.85, another real tight statistic. Both goalies were performing pretty similar, so no team really had the leg up, unless you consider Primeau played 300 more minutes and 5 more games in total. The Knights had scored a total of 41 goals over 10 games, while the Falcons score 46 over 15 games. This may have been the edge, as the Falcons could not stop the high-powered offense of the Knights, who had gotten a pass through the first round of the playoffs. Blackfyre was the clear winner here, as he might not have had the better stats, but he had the better team backing him up which allowed him to make a few mistakes and still come out on top. (199 words)

TASK NINE: Sent

[Image: U04Nn2j.gif]

Welcome to game one of the SHL cup game. Let’s take a look at these two teams (who’s playing again), as they take the ice. The white team appears ready to go, look at them skating those great circles, the black team has head to the bench. It appears they are sniffing something, oops, shouldn’t have said that. And the puck drops, it goes back into the corner, wait, what in the hell is that goalie doing? Who told that clown that he can play the puck? Anyways that is awful forechecking but he managed to grab the puck, that stupid goalie is out of position. Holy shit, he scored, he scored. I can’t believe that fatty actually scored. Wait, has this thing been on all game so far? I thought that I was just practicing, oh shit, I should have prepared by doing more than ripping a few shots of Jame-o. Wait we’re still live. I’m definitely getting fired.

TASK THREE: Create a magazine cover showcasing one of the players who will be competing in the finals. Must include at least one player render, player name, a magazine title, and at least one story preview/headline.

[Image: quizmmj.png]

pm

TASK SEVEN: Design a comical fan sign that you might see in the stands during the Cup finals. Must include one player name, a number, team logo OR team colors, and a slogan or text.

[Image: DwJqgX2.png]

TASK NINE: Trivia! Send the answers to me by forum PM. You will not get credit for posting the answers in this thread. Please make the subject of the message “CW Trivia.” [Grading: 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 for each correct answer.]

1. Who is the Minnesota Chiefs’ only historical winner of both the Ron Mexico and Sarmad Khan trophies?
2. Which two Western Conference teams have the Minnesota Chiefs defeated in the Finals to win Challenge Cups?
3. Who were the Dragons’ first two inductees into their team’s Hall of Fame in S6?
4. What is the Dragons’ Jesster Award awarded for?

pm

TASK ONE:

"Now joining us at the booth for game one of the Challenge Cup Finals is Hamilton Steelhawks star Zanarkand Abes. How are you Zanarkand?"

"I'm doing *burp* I'm doing gg-good"

"What's that's smell? Are you drunk?"

"N-no...."

"You sure sound drunk mate?"

"I've.... maybe had a few beers before the game"

"Well you don't talk like you're drunk to me so let's carry on. Who's your favorite player on either one of the teams playing tonight?"

"Yeah, yeah so uh IZZY I GOTTA SAY IZZY LETS SEE WATCH THIS, WHITBY BOY MIKE IZZY WHAT A GUY. GETS 2 GOALS AND AN ASSIST, LEAD THE TEAM IN BLOCKED SHOT. LOOK AT THIS CLIP OF HIM LAYING THE BODY ON THEM JETS PLAYERS I GOTTA TELL YA. WHAM WHAM! KABAM KABAM! IT'S A DOUBLE IZZY. WHAT A GUY I JUST LOVE HIM.

NOW LOOK AT THIS SLAPSHOT HERE O BOY O BANG! NOW KIDS WHO WANT TO BE A DEFENCEMAN. THIS IS HOW YOU SHOOT THE PUCK, WHAT A GOAL WHAT A GUY! GOOD OLD CANADIAN BOY THESE ARE THE TYPE OF PLAYERS YOU GET FROM WHITBY I TELL YA BOY! MY TYPE OF GUY!"

"Well alright..... that's is all for pre-game, thanks for coming Zanarkand."

"Cheers"

TASK TWO:

The unsung hero for the S40 playoffs I must say has to be Mike Izzy of the cup winning Calgary Dragons. Now I know what you're thinking, Mike Izzy isn't a Dani Forsberg, Louie Garrett, or a Joe Kurczewski. Traditional goal scorers and point getters. Mike Izzy is a traditional power forward who's objective is to change the game with his physical presence. Even though he did just that during the playoffs, he had also upped his scoring intake to match the levels of his fellow counterparts. In 19 games these playoffs, Izzy found the net 6 times and assisted 11 times for 17 points, putting him 4th behind Garrett, Forsberg, and Kurczewski. Izzy also had 50 hits these playoffs, only behind his teammate Adam Kaiser for the Dragons who had 75. Izzy despite his physical presence found himself in the penalty box very rarely, only having 12 penalty minutes which has proved very crucial for a Dragons team to stay out of the penalty box as well for Izzy who with less time in the box, he had became one of the top players on his team these playoffs.

TASK SIX:

Now that the Challenge Cup Finals are over, it's time to compare the two goalies and see who did better. The two goalies who competed in the Challenge Cup Finals are Olli O'Koivu of the Minnesota Chiefs and Richard C. Hocolate of the Challenge Cup Champions Calgary Dragons. Now both have had pretty similar stats and have played pretty similarly throughout the playoffs, but I do think that Hocolate has a slight edge over his goaltending counterpart of Minnesota. In terms of wins, Hocolate has 12 wins over O'Koivu's 11 which you might think isn't much, but if you look at losses, O'Koivu has had 9 losses compared to Hocolate's 6. O'Koivu also has had a 0.909 save percentage over Hocolate's 0.922 save percentage. O'Koivu has also had a 2.79 GAA compared to Hocolate's 2.57 GAA which shows that Hocolate is less likely to give up goals over O'Koivu. Also in terms of team statistics, Calgary has had a 2.60 Goals Against over Minnesota's 2.90 Goals Against. Calgary has also faced more shots against with 33.05 shots against per game over Minnesota's 31.20 Shots against per game. In the end, I think it's easy to Hocolate was the better goalie over the series against O'Koivu.

TASK FOUR

Sent PM

TASK NINE
:

Sent PM