Create Account

Why Enqvist Being Drafted by LA is bad for the SHL

<div align="center">Earlier this week the SHL held their latest Entry Draft and it turned out to be a very entertaining affair. Between the retirement of a player shortly after being drafted and the many draft day trades that occurred, the draft lived up to the hype. Let's not forget to mention the draft stream that was going on over at Youtube by <a href='index.php?showuser=2868' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-59'>Nobody</a> and his bands misfits. However, one things stood out from the list of interesting item of topics we came away from the draft with. Mattias Enqvist is got drafted by the Los Angeles Panthers.

[Image: 1297852218935_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si...7302511395]

Now you may be wondering "Who is Mattias Enqvist and why should I care?". Well to answer those, he is a young Swedish centre and no you shouldn't care but you should stand witness to the future of the Panthers. With the sixth overall selection the Panthers selected Lightning Jones (<a href='index.php?showuser=1178' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Jedi</a>) because he was a can't miss prospect and they figured they would get a player with an agent who has a great track record in the SHL. With Mattias Enqvist it is actually rather similar, just not in the way of acquiring the young player.

Enqvist said in pre-draft interviews to some teams that their team didn't fully interest him as a landing spot because it may not have been the right fit. Whether thats because of playing style, position entirely or maybe even the atmosphere of the locker-room as they sit right now. Mattias does have a link to the Panthers as his agent also represented three player sin the past who all were once on the Panthers roster at some point in time. Another thing that may have steered some teams away from Enqvist was that he mentioned that he didn't want to go to a team who had not contacted him before the draft to ask about his interest. Only four teams approached Enqvist pre-draft, which is slightly disappointing for a league that features fourteen teams.

Buffalo approached Enqvist pre-draft and there was interest from both sides there. The hard part was having a pick in a spot to be able to draft the young forward. Enqvist knew some teams had certain players pencilled in in certain spots so the possibility of interested teams not being able to select him was obviously very high.

Texas approached Enqvist as well, but the team makeup wasn't exactly something Mattias was too high on. Texas has had a history (the franchise) of being the pricks of the SHL (whether that is still a fair assumption or not is up in the air). Enqvist admits he has lost touch on the SHL landscape and who is the pretty boys and who is the douche bags. But it ended up not to be a very interested connection.

Minnesota was another squad that had expressed interest and there was some interest from Enqvist but ultimately he did say it may not be a good mix of teammates for him. Some run-ins with agents on their team struck Enqvist the wrong way and ultimately he somewhat turned down interest there.

Los Angeles was somewhat silent in the pre-draft talk with Enqvist. However, with Mattias' agent representing freshly retired Jaxson Reynolds (a long-time Panther); this seemed like a good fit. A conversation took place awhile ago telling Enqvist there was interest (something no other team seemed to do).

[Image: 3_641x392_acf_cropped3-641x392.jpg]

With Jaxson Reynolds, C.J. James and Everett Taylor all donning the teal, black and orange at some point in their careers; it only seemed right to have Enqvist get drafted by a franchise he knows the most about. It also doesn't hurt the management team see eye-to-eye with Enqvist's agent in a lot of different areas of the game, life and general feel for the league. Enqvist will obviously spend one more year down in the juniors to help groom his game but he is looking forward to being apart of a very bright future in Los Angeles with his new teammates and future ones as well.</div>

[Image: cDMBWce.png]
[Image: 0tCQttQ.png]
LA Panthers Goaltender

Looking forward to you lacing them up with the Panthers!

SMJHL better watch out this season.

Cheers
Panthers

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

Loved bringing you back to Sunny LA! Enqvist is gonna be another Panther stud!

Panthers

[Image: NiclasWastlund26.gif]
#40 Niclas Wastlund - W - VANCOUVER WHALERS Whalers / MINNESOTA MONARCHS Monarchs
[Image: vlPUU9v.png][Image: ammBPLt.png][Image: rnZeas5.png][Image: V9MXpXR.png]

we're gonna roll this league, you and I

Panthers

[Image: bXyuiQK.png?2]
Alucard,Apr 14 2016, 03:33 PM Wrote:May the harvest be with you, young spud.
enigmatic,Aug 26 2016, 10:05 AM Wrote:Jedi could have 1 TPE and still improve any team [Image: ashamed0001.gif]
[Image: uyTKBKH.png]
[Image: jSQTZY7.png]

First ever Norwegian IIHF Goal!!
Code:
2. Team Norway , Jackson Rodgers-Tanaka 1 (Isabella Esparza-Osvaldson, Aleksander Andrezjeck) at 5:50

Special Thanks to Count Chocula for the Hugo G sig <3

Well written! Hope you have fun! I am curious, was Seattle one of those teams you didnt want to go to? And what makes LA much better in comparison? (Not trying to flame just curious)

Quote:Originally posted by AssPancakes@May 9 2018, 12:52 AM
Well written! Hope you have fun! I am curious, was Seattle one of those teams you didnt want to go to? And what makes LA much better in comparison? (Not trying to flame just curious)
Seattle never came to me with interest. Actually this was more about who did come towards me and not who I was interested in. I left the interest entirely open until they came towards me with questions.

LA is probably the best run team in the league. They have consistency with management, a desire to win and not flame other members and just an overall understanding of the STHS program (which I'm familiar with). I think it's pretty telling that GM's think prospects should come to them and not the other way around. You always do your scouting, letting the player do it for you is actually just laziness.

LA Panthers Goaltender

If you had been open to coming to us it would have been a different decision on what happened with that pick. I like to think the old Renes reputation isn't as valid anymore, and a lot of the younger members on our team could attest to that I think, but regardless, glad you went to a team that you're happy with and that we were able to get a very good asset back.

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by Reynolds@May 9 2018, 11:10 AM

Seattle never came to me with interest. Actually this was more about who did come towards me and not who I was interested in. I left the interest entirely open until they came towards me with questions.

LA is probably the best run team in the league. They have consistency with management, a desire to win and not flame other members and just an overall understanding of the STHS program (which I'm familiar with). I think it's pretty telling that GM's think prospects should come to them and not the other way around. You always do your scouting, letting the player do it for you is actually just laziness.

Thanks for the response! And I completely share your opinion on that subject.

Quote:Originally posted by Reynolds@May 9 2018, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the response! And I completely share your opinion on that subject.

Quote:Originally posted by dankoa@May 9 2018, 11:13 AM
If you had been open to coming to us it would have been a different decision on what happened with that pick. I like to think the old Renes reputation isn't as valid anymore, and a lot of the younger members on our team could attest to that I think, but regardless, glad you went to a team that you're happy with and that we were able to get a very good asset back.
Maybe that reputation has left, still some of the stink is there I think with certain guys still on the roster. No ill will for the GM's though

LA Panthers Goaltender