Create Account

PT 1 - Draft Day

Draft day. It's a day you'll always remember. Were you nervous? Did you go higher or lower than expected? Did you end up on the team you wanted? Inquiring minds want to know. Give us a rundown of your draft day.

Requirements

Written option: Must include 200 words.
Graphic option: Create a graphic of your player accepting their new jersey. Must include 1 player render.

Payout

4 TPE for doing the thing.

Only S41 SMJHL Rookies (S42 SHL Rookies) are eligible for this PT.

Do not claim this TPE until a post is made in the claim thread.

Deadline
May 17, 11:59 PM Eastern

[Image: thistidalwave.gif]

ArmadaUkSpecters
Player | Updates

Rafe Ulrich was actually still at home in Norway on the day of his draft. He decided to stay at home and wait till after the draft before moving and applying for his sports visa depending on where the team who drafted him was located.

What will happen often is that foreign players will try to follow the draft live even if they cant make it. However in Ulrich's case, finding out where he had been drafted had to wait until he woke up.

Rafe had been helping along all day at a ice hockey workshop, which was held by his club Asker Frisk. Young and old could come to the stadium and try out the sport of hockey. Besides skating around all day helping people out and telling about the sport he loves, he also played in various exhibition matches that were played that day.

Once the event was over, Rafe headed home and eat dinner. Exhausted from his busy day, he decided to take a nap. Silly as he is, he forgot to set his alerm on the right day and slept right through his draft. Father Rolf, Rafe's Number one fan, had been following along live though and decided to let Rafe rest up after the long day he had. First thing in the morning was a huge celebration though.

Rafe is thrilled to have been selected by Militia and is proud to have been taken so early. He is now ready to fly to Montreal and kick some ass.

(253 words)

[Image: 43436_s.gif]
Thank you Fever, sköldpaddor and OD for the amazing sigs!
Heart  Militia Montreal Impact/Militia Militia-Old Heart

Harvey Danger didn't actually declare himself for the draft until the day before, so he was not expecting to get picked. Getting chosen in the 4th round, 28th overall is great, because there is a lot of room for improvement and the expectations are pretty low. The fact he went to the same team who picked first means there is going to be a lot of pressure on that pick, allowing Danger to play a more carefree game in order to raise up the ranks for the SHL draft next year.

The product of London, England was actually at his summer home in the country and got a phone call from his agent to let him know he went in the 4th round to Montreal. He was very excited about Montreal, because although he has never been to North America, Montreal seems a lot like Paris, which Danger has been to once. He liked it. It was a little dirty, but fun. Good weather.

Harvey Danger did make a list of the 27 players picked ahead of him, and he will make sure that he works hard in order to become a better player than all of them, including his new teammate who was chosen first overall, Charlie Schieck.

The Montreal Militia have made a great choice, picking Harvey Danger 28th overall. The next Bobby Orr? Nah. The first Harvey Danger.

-231 words-

Cameron Carter II, son of Brooklyn Carter, was drafted 10th overall by the Prince George Firebirds. A shock to some scouts that believed him to be a great prospect, but his lackluster performance in his try out with the Detroit Falcons proved to be a hindrance. Exposed his lack of consistent effort and that he had difficulty adjusting without time on the PP. Playoffs weren't that different and he proved to be a liability and a non factor. His agents had told him to stay away from signing early but he was stubborn, thinking he could put on a show. He vowed that the other teams would regret taking him so late, but his partying nature may have had to do more with his fall than his abysmal SMJHL performance.

"I wasn't as good as this kid and I ended up going 8th overall in the SHL. He has way more talent and has been training all his life. I got no doubts that he will get his attitude straight and be a top six forward in the SMJHL. He shouldn't become obsessed with my production and I believe he can put up around 15 points this season in 50 games.He just needs to keep his head clear and he will be golden. Firebirds got a steal. "
-Brooklyn Carter

[Image: tuxpi-com-1618108119.jpg]

I was in the pisser draining out the beer I was drinking when I got drafted.

A little more information might help. I was at home with my friends and family drinking beer and watching the draft. For those not familiar with how the SMJHL draft works, it's different then the SHL. Whereas the SHL has round one on the first day then the rest of the rounds on the following day, the SMJHL just runs a 3-4 hour marathon draft. So the first round went through, I went undrafted. No big surprise there, but I had downed about eight beers so I wandered off to the can.

Then I heard my old man yelling 'JUNIOR! JUNIOR GET OUT HERE!'

I rushed out while trying to do up my zipper and then I saw it. On the bottom of the screen in maroon and orange was:

Mammoths SACHIMO ZOIDBERG JR. - 9TH OVERALL Mammoths

And then I got mobbed by my family and friends. Handshakes and hugs and cheering and all that, but it was weird. It all felt surreal. You train your whole life, you have a role model of a father who had a hell of a career. You know it's coming, but you're not ready.

What an afternoon, it was an incredible mix of emotions but finally everyone left and it quieted down. That was when my dad took me out to the back yard and we sat down and talked. This is what he told me:

Quote:Congratulations son. This is the beginning of a long and hard journey, but I have faith you'll do the right thing. I remember when I got you your first skates and watching you fall over, and now you're poised to be a full-blown hockey player. No matter how far you go or how many records you break, being drafted into the SMJHL is something no one can ever take away from you. You've made us all proud.

My dad isn't an emotional man, but as he walked away I saw him smile and a single tear run down his cheek.

And that was the moment that it all hit me; I can't fail now.

[Image: NyUD4Ch.jpg]
[Image: 95lCCDx.png]

[Image: iXI1ET6.png]

[Image: M8aDHJK.jpg]

"I still remember hearing I was registered for the draft. It was two days before, and Henry came and told me the news. Even though I knew I would make it in, I didn't believe it. Prince George is not a big hockey town like Vancouver, Montreal or Edmonton, and a lot of people had doubts about me. I remember thinking about those people, and how their faces would look come draft time.

I used the fire created by the comments those people made, and showed those around the league what I could really do. Attending training camps such as Camp Izzy was a cool experience that I will be looking back on for a long time. When draft day hit, man it was a crazy feeling. I remember conversations with Prince George and being nearly star struck for being able to enter parts of the stadium that the general public isn't allowed to go to. Draft wise,I was expecting to go in maybe, I don't know, second or third round? I registered really late and a lot of people didn't know me, so my expectations were low. I knew I was good enough to be first round, first overall even. But I wouldn't hold it against GM's very much to go later on in the lower rounds.

It wasn't until a few hours before the draft that I learned that I turned a few heads. There were a couple of teams who took me away from the media to ask a few last minute questions. I learned then that my draft stock had increased at a rapid rate due to the amount of progress I've made during the few days I've been registered.

When I heard my name being called by the Falcon's, I don't know. I froze. I heard that they were interested in me but 4th Overall? For lack of a better term, I was humbled. After a few seconds, my phone started blowing up. Members of the team and management sent messages of congratulations, some other draft members too. I was shocked.

Going to the photo shoot was something else, too. Wearing the jersey and looking at the flashing cameras. Henry told me to enjoy the spotlight. To be honest, I did. I enjoyed it a lot. Between the flashes I thought of all the goals, all the checks and all the jarred fingers I was going to experience in my career.. I was really excited. I'm still excited. Being taken so high in the draft has definitely put a lot more pressure on me, especially as a dark horse. But hell, I'm ready to carry the pressure. Hell, I'm ready to carry this whole damn league." ~ Justin Siddals

Quote: 454 words

The up-and-coming   ANTONIO HALL
[Image: ul8eHwY.jpg]

Previously known as:

I had a chance to ask Jordan von Matt a few questions regarding his draft day experience:

What was going through your head when your name was called as the 8th overall pick?
I was stunned. I had no idea that I would be drafted that early. Because of my inexperience, I would have been perfectly happy with being drafted in any round, let alone the first! It seems that Prince George has seen something in me that they like, and I'm incredibly grateful for that. I hope to prove them right this upcoming season.

What are your expectations for this season?
I just want to focus on improving my game. I'm not after individual records or stats, I just want to help my team win. That being said, I want to get better positionally, and make sure I'm able to compete at the SMJHL level. In regards to the team as a whole, I feel like we're going to surprise some people. We have a pretty young team, but from what I've seen in my first few days, they all seem eager to learn and ready to get after it. I'm predicting that we'll be fighting hard for that last playoff spot. If we get in, then who knows what can happen, but we plan on taking it one game at a time.

Thank you for your time Jordan. Any last comments?
I'm just excited to get the preseason underway. I want to thank PGF's management group for putting faith in me, and I won't forget it.

Go Birbs.

(260 words)

[Image: 400x200.jpg]

A big party was held for Rowdy on S41 SMJHL Draft day at his parents’ house in St. Paul, Minnesota. All of Rowdy’s friends and family gathered to see where he might be selected for the draft. He was a collective bundle of: nerves and excitement as it came time for the draft. Rowdy knew that he wouldn’t be round one material, but thought he might be able to make it to the early second round considering some buzz was slowly built up around his entry into the draft even though it was last minute. He thought he made a good impression on some of the general managers, but as each name was called he felt like he was disappointing his late father. Rowdy’s father passed away a few weeks prior to the draft and it was his dream to make it to the SHL. Rowdy didn’t want to disappoint the memory of his father and was praying that a team would select him eventually. By the 15th overall pick, the St. Louis Scarecrows ended up picking him and he was elated to get a call from Ryan King. This was the team that Rowdy knew he could find success with and he was more than excited for the next part of his hockey journey.

Quote:215 words

Entering the draft, Nicholas Falk was regarded a one of the highest ranked prospects of the bunch. Featuring the most potent offensive skill set, Falk was a consensus first round pick although his actual landing spot was in question. He had some deep rooted ties to Montreal but of course nothing was in stone, but entering draft day he was expected to go 4th overall. As the draft began and trades panned out, it became clear his destination was no longer in the hands of Montreal. However, just two picks later at 6th overall St. Louis claimed the Sweden-born offensive dynamo. St. Louis has actually contacted Nicholas just two days prior to the draft inquiring about him landing in the Midwest, but Falk assured them he was surely going to Montreal. After a series of events, most notably a blockbuster trade between the Militia and Falcons, Nicholas found himself completely in the air where he might land. After just a few short moments of anxiety and what seemed like a lifetime at the edge of his seat, he found himself in the lap of the Scarecrows... and he couldn't be happier. Boasting a roster chock-full of elite SMJHL talent, St. Louis looks to contend for the cup this season, with rookie Nicholas Falk paying his dues the bottom lines.

Quote:Words: 219

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER

Charlie Schieck was quite certain that he would be the first pick of the draft when he woke up on draft day, and that didn’t really change. He spent most of the day wondering if Montreal was going to make any trades or if they were going to hang onto the 4th pick. Militia management was pretty clear with Schieck about their intentions with him, but as far as the 4th pick went it was anyone’s guess. Just when the team thought they had everything figured out the Detroit Falcons traded up to the third pick. Schieck mentioned that as soon as they brought him over to the team’s draft table there was a frenzy of conversation going on about a last minute trade. Apparently a trade they had been trying to set up for days was suddenly an option and they were scrambling to decide if they should pull the trigger. Schieck commented that he had no clue who they were planning to select yet they all seemed really excited when they were heading to make the pick. As it turned out they made the move so they could draft big bodied winger Rafe Ulrich out of Norway. With that the Militia had a pair of big boys to insert into their lineup for the next few seasons. Charlie Schieck’s day ended with a whirlwind of interviews followed by a nice dinner with his family, his new teammates, and all of their families as well.

246 words

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

On the day of the draft Nico Wallner and his family gathered in their Austrian home to see where he would be drafted. At first glance Nico doesn't look like someone you would expect to be an SMJHL draft pick as he stands only 5'9 and weighs about 165 pounds, but Nico more than makes up for his small stature with his finesse on the ice. Nico and his family waited for the draft to begin as they ate some of Nico's mothers famous goulash.

Playing in Austria, Nico was an unknown commodity but had had brief talks with some of the GMs before the draft so he had an idea of what to expect. The draft started and Nico waited as the first round drew to a close. At the end of the second round Nico watched a fellow Austrian get drafted to St Louis, but still his name had not been called. As the third round continued Nico started to worry. His name had still not been called and that is when his phone rang.

As he picked up the phone he tried to see which team was up next to see who could be calling. When he picked it up Nico was disappointed to hear his friend Johannes Bauer on the other end calling him about the draft. Filled with rage, Nico yelled at Bauer to not call him until both of them had been drafted and cursed him for the false hope. In the end Nico would get a call from Colorado, a team he is excited to be a part of and be part of the new generation of players.

274 Words

Code:
208 words

Draft day. Normally a day of nerves for most players. No so much for Geezus Kryyst. He didn’t even know he was in the draft. Independence, Missouri isn’t exactly known as a hotbed of hockey, but for Geezus Kryyst, it was life. He worshipped at the altar of Jordin FourFour and the Texas Renegades. While he had always dreamed of one day playing professionally, it never seemed to be a realistic goal.

That was, until he received the call. Barney Stinson (or someone claiming to be him), legendary defenseman and recent retiree, was on the phone. He informed Geezus that he had been drafted by the Halifax Raiders at the #13 spot none-the-less. Geezus assumed it was a joke and hung up.

Barney called back. Geezus couldn’t make sense of the words he was hearing. Barney was his agent and he declared for the draft? It didn’t make sense. And then came the voice….

A big voice. A booming voice. A voice he recognized. “My son,” the voice boomed. “You will go to Halifax and save them. Be the saver they need. Stop the evil pucks. It is my command. Your father’s command.”

Geezus smiled. It seemed for once his calling would be something his heart also desired.

[Image: WuRZxKN.png]
Player Twitter
Kryyst: Player Page | Update Page
Stinson:Player Page

Geoff Moore was sitting at his local rink back in New jersey, necking down a couple of beers while watching the draft with family members and some former teammates in the arenas lounge. Moore knew he might go to a Montreal or Vancouver, but when both teams used their early picks on other players, Geoff didn't really know at all where he would go, until the 14th Overall pick came up and Vancouvers General manager stepped up to the podium. "With the 14th selection in the S42 SMJHL Draft, we're proud to select, Defenseman Geoff Moore!" Geoff's face lit up with a huge smile and he started high fiving and hugging people in the room. Once things calmed down a bit, his phone started to light up with calls and messages from friends and some other draftees who he got to know during the combine.

Once Moore received a lenghty call from the Vancouver general manager, he grew more excited learning how much the team wanted to pick him up in the draft. Geoff also received several text messages from his future teammates, welcoming him to the team and the city. Moore travelled to Vancouver the next day and is now preparing for his professional hockey debut.

(207 words)

[Image: lebbish.gif]

Draft day.

Any day you get to hit the ice is a great day. Well we aren't on the ice today, but that's okay. I'm ecstatic to be not to be drafted. The nerves of being looked at, judged for one thing or another, it just isn't worth the stress. I'd rather see if anyone wants me instead of getting picked and ranked. Image getting picked 7th just to be a dud! I don't need that stress!

Now image getting offers for a few teams and picking one that fits you. That is the key to success. However, I am excited for the guys that did get drafted. Hopefully they pan out.

I am going to prove that undrafted gems can be even better then the draft. At the time of this posting. I've been approached by 3 teams. One is made up, but still. Let the number one pick know; I'm gunning for you. Unless you are on my team, then I'm gunning for number two.I intend on making the team that rolls the dice on me to be extremely successful. My playstyle is designed to play well with just about everybody. I don't let people down, I win games smash faces and put the puck on someone else's stick to score.

(About 212)

[Image: TROYMCCLURE.gif]
Colorado Raptors Capitan S42-Until Forever!
Czechia Wants you! Ask about a transfer!!

I actually wasn't able to make it to the draft, so it was a different experience for me. Being the fact it was Mother's Day weekend, I went to the airport to pick up some family members that were flying in for the weekend. Unfortunately, that's when things unraveled. The plane had crashed about five hours away, so we drove down and tried to see what had happened. To be honest, I can't quite remember what happened right about now, most of it is a blur and it seemed to happen so fast. I just remember that once we got there, we had found out that somehow, nobody had gotten hurt. What a miracle. Anyway, we spent the rest of the day driving back home, and by that time, the draft had been over. I didn't see the draft summary until a couple days after, actually. I saw that I had been drafted 7th overall by the Vancouver Whalers. That was good for me, because I know they were interested in me, before the draft started. I'm just a little shocked I got picked where I did because I specifically remember at least one team saying "you won't go past this spot", which I did. What's up with that?

[Image: tempsnip.png]
[Image: image0.jpg?width=360&height=180]