Create Account

The First Taste

I just got my first taste of playoff hockey. What else can I say, other than I’m hooked?

Right from the beginning of the game, the vibe was just different. Colorado’s crowd was on us the moment we stepped out on the ice for warmups. Did it phase us? Definitely not. I revelled in it. The boos, the jeers, everything, because the more they hate me, the more I know I’m doing a good job.

I was bumped up onto the second line for this game. A far change from my small minutes on the fourth line, I’m now playing a much bigger role with them team, including minutes on the PP. Practicing with Pavel and Piotr felt like second nature. Sure, we’ve done the line drills together now and then, but I felt like I just fit the moment I settled in with them. They’re great guys to play with, and have been giving great advice on how to better fit with them.

From the get go, the pace was frantic, and Colorado really came out strong. They popped the first two, and honestly the mood on the bench never soured. We knew that we were there to play a full game, and wouldn’t quit until the very last whistle. Nobody said much between periods, but everybody knew. We had to get out there, and we had to push back.

Six minutes in, Tut drew us within one. We knew we could do it, so we didn’t stop the pressure. We get put on one of our many powerplays of the game, and things were moving well. I stepped up and ripped a shot, I thought I had the keeper but he flashed across the crease quickly to make the save. Disappointment started to set, but it didn’t last long when Danger crashed the net and put home the rebound. First playoff point of my career, awesome. Tied 2-2 boys. Halfway through regulation. If only we knew what was to come.

Starting the 3rd period, we were down 3-2. It hurts, but 20 minutes left is a lot of time. That’s when things went a little haywire. Both lines went at each other. Gloves started flying, cross-checks and slashes were delivered. It’s a rare site to see me get into a scrap, but I felt that Winters was an even enough match for me. Damn, they never tell you that punching someone hurts like hell too. We traded blows, but ultimately it looks like we drew on that fight. Maybe we’ll go again this series to break the tie.

We tied the game shortly after, and the rest of the third period is madness. Both teams firing pucks all over, trying to end the game. We each scored one more and sending us to overtime. What a feel for the first game.

Overtime was a long and drawn out affair, and despite the fact that we should be tired, both teams were still flying. The rest we’ve both had since the regular season ended is pretty clear. Through 2OT periods, no one can score.

In the dressing room between the 2nd and 3rd OT, everyone was gasping for air. Snacks had been brought, and everyone was trying to get some food in them just to keep fueling this breakneck pace that seems to have no hope of ending.

Colorado continued their undisciplined play much to our benefit. Phillip Winter took a boarding penalty, and we just had to capitalize. We were 1 for 11 at this point, which is just horrible, but it wouldn’t matter as long as we finished on this one.

Then it happened. Dead silence in the arena except for the scream out of my boy Dabcity. In that moment, the pressure of the game was lifted and we came pouring over the bench to celebrate stealing an away game after such a long effort.

What a way to get my first taste of playoff hockey. Back and forth game. My first playoff point. My first playoff fight, and our first playoff win.

Everybody’s been counting us out online and in the media, but this team has something to prove. We can do this. One step at a time.

Let's keep firing boys, and show everyone what we're made of Militia

Battleborn  Finland     [Image: QwTZD8C.png]   [Image: uJXrVDL.png]  [Image: iemKOIk.png]     Finland  Battleborn

[Image: ecaJZ6D.jpg]
[Image: flowseidon.gif]
[Image: PRedauw.png]

Alex Winters is such a goon.

[Image: cooldudeam1234.gif]
(Sig Credit: toedragon84)

Hell of a fight mate, looking forward to a rematch and a great series!

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52