Create Account

S43 PT #5 - Draft Class

For my write up about the S40 SHL draft class I’m going to be looking at the Rage picks in terms of earned TPE since the draft, and see how the team will remember this draft. In the S40 draft, the Manhattan Rage made six picks, five in the second round and one in the third. Keep in mind that teams passed as early as pick number thirty-five in the third round, and the draft took four rounds (with all but 3 teams passing in the fourth). The first pick of the draft for Manhattan came at the beginning of the second round. With the fifteenth selection, the Manhattan Rage took yours truly, Reginald Rove, the left wing out of Detroit. Coming into the draft, Rove had 267 TPE, a decent number considering he joined relatively late. At present, Rove has 702 TPE, an improvement of 435 TPE. While I won’t be comparing him to the rest of the class (will probably write an article doing so), this was a good pick. With the 20th pick, the Manhattan Rage selected Paz Tappers, who is unfortunately retired, so not the best of selections. Next up with the 21st selection was Asti-Tabarnak Fleur-De-Lys-LaPoutine III who is also inactive. The 22nd pick was spent on Quinn Cullen, who is yet again inactive. With the 23rd pick Manhattan selected Eri Arai, who is also inactive. Finally, with the 38th pick the Manhattan Rage selected Crystal Roy. I’ll give you a hint (also inactive). Did I just write this to feed my own ego? You tell me.

[Image: 2v10l6s.png]

It’s kind of strange looking through these and realizing that my player is old as shit.

The S25 draft class was the next great class after S20. People remember Eggy for his forum presence and media. I think it has been a bit forgotten how big of a TPE advantage both WiC and Jesster had over the rest of the draft class. I don’t recall exactly how much it was, but it was substantial. Eggy, of course, went on to win several cups as the GM of New England, and is the league’s commissioner. There are a few other current and former SHL GMs sprinkled throughout this draft class. This list includes WiC, Baelor, Allen, Nereus, karlssens, and Cynthia.

This group obviously still has a fair bit of influence on the league, but I think we’re on the tail end of that. Only karlssens and Baelor remain as GMs, and Eggy as commissioner. Most of the members of this class who are still active have recreated. I believe only karlssens, Durden, and myself remain as active players. The three us don’t have much time left before regression consumes us. The S25 class will probably won't last 5 more season. Maybe, but I think there is a good chance the last of us retire in that time frame.

[Image: RichSHL.gif]
Thanks to sulovilen for the sigs!
Adam Prpich Portal Link

Check out past episodes of Rich and Luke!

The S13 SHL Entry Draft was definitely an odd one, and one of the more forgettable drafts in SHL history if we're being honest. There were maybe a handful of good picks in the bunch, and the majority were working on an old and outdated update scale which actually was much easier and allowed a player to be nearly capped at 600 TPE.

The top pick in the draft, Christian Bauer, was a story for the ages of how he became a part of Minnesota instead of New England. New England actually paid what would become the first overall selection plus additional assets to Minnesota for their back-up goaltender -- Edwin Ask. Seeing as Minnesota had proper goaltending in the way of legendary Brandon Sawyer, they jumped at the opportunity and Ask fell inactive periodically, yielding this pick to be the top spot for Minnesota.

Bauer ultimately became a useful third line roleplayer who could pot double digit point totals once making his way to Texas and Los Angeles, but ultimately was not long for the world of the SHL and after having his best season to date in S17 with 42 points, he decided to retire.

Instead of being led by the top pick, honestly this draft was led by goaltending and a couple of gem picks. Matthew Buchesner was the second overall selection and ultimately was a spectacular and legendary second-pairing defenseman, at times playing a top pairing role and leading the penalty kill as a true defensive defenseman. He played the majority of his career in Edmonton, and you may now know him as the hard-nosed coach of the Texas Renegades.

After one of a slew of failed players for HFFO, Tuomas Vitikka, came the only other success story of the draft in Rufus Reinhart. Reinhart had a career year in S16 with Texas posting 57 points, but was a spectacular second line center for the majority of his career between Edmonton and Minnesota. He is now helping to represent Sami Owens in Hamilton.

Finally, with failures at the remaining picks including a selection of Eustace Eustachion who turned out to be a banned member attempting to sneak back in and ultimately being banned again -- we came to the true breaking point of this draft and one which is the only reason this draft will be remembered. This is the greatest goaltender draft of all time.

At 9th overall was Jakub Aittokallio, myself. Toronto was planning to trade with New England to move to 7, and New England also made an outreach about selecting me prior. Instead, I talked them out of it in hopes of getting to Edmonton. I spent my whole career there, winning 3 Challenge Cups, helping in management and setting legitimately every record for goaltenders ever from wins (over 400), to playoff wins, to losses and playoff losses, games played in all situations, shutouts and PIMs. I was the first goaltender to win the Ron Mexico Trophy as MVP in S15.

Mikka Aalto went next to Toronto, their back-up plan was the safe option and other Finnish tender in the draft. He went inactive, came back for a short period, took the starter position for a couple of seasons in S17 and S18 after krever's departure, then again was swept by the wayside. He now represents a center for the New England Wolfpack, Artemi Berezin.

Then came my greatest rival, Lauris Prikulis, the leader of the Latvian revolution which swept the SHL for the next decade or more. He unfortunately found his time come to an end prior to mine, and only managed to get to 318 wins total. He never quite reached to my heights in terms of records, but had bursts of great seasons which yielded him more individual awards behind a weaker team. Prikulis currently sits fourth in the SHL in wins, and retired as second behind only myself. It is thanks to him and myself this draft will always be the best goaltender draft in SHL history, at least the winningest.

I went hard on this and I held back.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

The season 43 draft appears to be one of the biggest and arguably one of the greatest drafts in SHL history. So many great young players were available for prospect hungry teams to feast on, and feast they did. Players like Leshaun King, Oliver Kovacs, and Luke Thomason set the bar that continues to be pushed by those draft later on in the draft like Nicholas Williams, Aleister Cain, and Mr. Faceoffs. I was drafted 29th to the Edmonton Blizzard. Excitement turned to disappointment after realizing I wouldn't get to continue my career with both Cain and Adam Taylor in Edmonton when just a few days after the draft, I learned that I had been traded to San Francisco. Today I am preparing to one day make the Pride lineup and help San Francisco become a top team in the SHL. When talking about the best SHL drafts of all time, I fully expect that S34 will be considered one of the greatest of all time.

(Word Count: 166)

PBE PT

damn, can't say I've looked back at the S25 draft class in some time. I believe there are only 3 players remaining, Jack Durden, Jonathan Lundberg and myself, Nikolaus Scholz. While the 3 of us have all been quite successful in our own way, the biggest takeaway from the S25 draft class would have to be Jasper Clayton. The highest TPE earner of all time, 1st ballot hall of famer, three time challenge cup winner and current commissioner of our league. Hard to believe he went 2nd overall, but then again the guy that went 1st overall showed amazing potential as well. Statistically speaking the best player to come out of the S25 draft would have to be Lord Pretty Flacko. With 830 points over just 17 seasons he finds himself within the top 10 all time and has a long list of hardware to go with it. Much like the previously mentioned Jasper Clayton he's a surefire 1st ballot hall of famer.

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

I have written plenty about my S43 class especially since the crop of it entered this season as a rookie in SHL - LW Flacko Lagarfield, D Daniel Karlsson and RW Piotr Czerkawski are leading the class in TPE with huge margin and if it's any indication are on the current record pace which if they career goes as it should they should get real shot at Hall of Fame when it is done. Hard to say about ageing when it's just been around for a few months, but you already can see a lot of tiers within it. It's not a big draft class because it is not a reddit one, but it's not bad since you can track it more easily. There is plenty of players that have taken bigger roles too - either in Head Office or in the GMs role. I think the fight for being the greatest in this class is going to be a fierce one and will take a lot of time before we reach a consensus about it.

[Image: Too9kfy.png]
 Player Page  |  Update Page
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2018, 09:07 AM by Fantobens.)

The s43 draft will probably go down as one of the best drafts ever. All you have to do is look at the activity of this draft class. Every team in the league has at least a couple of active players from this draft, especially a team like Detroit. Just a peek into their locker room sees players like @Snussu @grok and @Mayuu constantly chatting it up. @notorioustig is the co-GM in only his second season. Remarkably these are all 1st Gen players.

For off ice leadership just stop by the s43 locker room where you will see @King @"luketd" @Good_Ole_Kimmy and @SlashACM always having a conversation about something.

I tried to be as active as possible, and I think I'm doing an all right job, until I look at these guys. Everyone I've named has some kind of leadership and or job that will have effects on the future and direction of the league. I may not be at the same level as them but I'm proud to be associated with them and the s43 draft.

[Image: Fantobens.gif]

The S26 SHL Entry Draft was not one of the largest classes, but had solid picks right into the 3rd round. In this draft, my previous player, Wyatt Wøllker, was selected 1st Overall! Wøllker went on to have a worthy career with 2 cups, some individual hardware, and top 10 points by a defenseman when his career wound down. Shameless self-promotion here but I think it's safe to say this is one Draft where the number 1 pick ended up having the best career when all was said and done! I think Mainio is the only player from this draft still on a roster.

There were several players who ended up having really solid careers come out of this Draft. Mainio Mäkinen (2nd OV), Cody Black (4th OV), Tim Buckner (7th OV), Brett Broadway (9th OV), Scott Robertson (14th OV), Sven Karlsson (15th OV), Robert Andersson (18th OV), Mattias Holmberg (24th OV), Don Pellegrino (26th OV), and Rick James (Bitch) (31st OV) - all of them were standout players for their teams and had long careers. Definitely shows proof that you can find gems anywhere, and congrats to all of these players on their successes!

There were probably more busts than hits this draft, though - the 1st round is notable for being so full of players who never panned out. Gone and forgotten are such once-highly touted prospects like Conall Macleod, Mikelis Grandmulis, Clayton Fuller, Steve French, and Tony Pellegrino - all wasted 1st round picks that teams likely regret.

So while not the largest class, there were definitely some solid selections mixed with some busts, and maybe even a couple Hall of Famers!

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies     S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK     Grizzlies

Our S43 draft class has been the source of a lot of new blood for the league, as well as some familiar faces in big-name recreates. Obviously, the crown jewel of the draft in terms of TPE, activity, and overall presence is @King, the deserving 1st overall pick this past draft. However, we have many other rising stars that went both early and late in the draft. @Mayuu has consistently gained TPE at close to the highest rate in the draft class, and should be an absolute steal at 8th overall for Buffalo. Even a guy like @Good_Ole_Kimmy would have been a consideration for a top 5 pick in most seasons, but somewhat undeservedly fell all the way to the second round despite being cuter than all the rest.

The off-ice progress from members of our draft class has been phenomenal as well. As a reddit draft with a ton of new members, we were very unsure of ourselves at the start. However, so many of us have grown into well-known members and contributors on the site through awesome media posts or by taking on site jobs. Overall, I'm pretty confident that this will stack up as one of the best drafts of all time.

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2018, 09:06 AM by mstuk41.)

I've been part of two drafts in my time in the SHL, both were reddit drafts, S20 & S43, it's too early to tell what will happen with S43, one thing is clear, the S20 SHL draft is quite possibly the best in the history of the league. Lets review:
Round 1
1. Rage Manhattan Rage (via Toronto North Stars from West Kendall Platoon) - Chuck Goody - Solid Career finished with 393 Points - HOF
2. Platoon West Kendall Platoon (via Toronto North Stars from Texas Renegades) - Bojo Biscuit - Hall of Famer - 561 Points, 1120 Blocked Shots
3. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (via Minnesota Chiefs) - Benjamin Reid - 440 Points 4 time Cup Winner
4. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks (via Edmonton Blizzard) - Friedrich Müller - 449 Points - HOF
5. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (via Toronto North Stars) - Nicklas Wikstrom - 420 Points
6. Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs (via Calgary Dragons) - Jamie Hawkins - Traded to Toronto for Nicholas Pedersen - 346 points, B2B 50 Point 130+ Hit seasons in S28 & S29
7. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (via Los Angeles Panthers) - Nathan Russell - 4 Time Cup Winner - 37th on all time scoring list 612 Points - HOF
8. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - Sam Samsinov - First Bust of the Class - 88 Points
9. Riot Seattle Riot - Mikko Koskinen - 430 Points, 1613 Hits, 983 Shots Blocked - Helluvah career
10. Dragons Calgary Dragons (via Manhattan Rage) - Sachimo Zoidberg - 362 Points - 3 SHL Cups, 1700 Hits, 900 SB -
11. Platoon West Kendall Platoon (via Hamilton Steelhawks) - Jed Lloren - Hall of Famer - 827 Points - 11th All Time Scoring -
12. Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs (via Winnipeg Jets) - Pedro Sarantez - Hall of Famer - 836 Points - 9th All Time Scoring - HOF

Round 2
13. Stars Toronto North Stars (via Minnesota Chiefs) - Kristian Eriksson - Future Hall of Famer - Currently 2nd All Time Scoring - 950+ Points
14. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers (via West Kendall Platoon) - Adrian Thomaz - 331 Points - Averaged 41.375 Points per season
15. Platoon West Kendall Platoon (via Texas Renegades) - Bryson Thomaz - 232 Points. our 2nd disappointment in the first 15 picks.
16. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard (via Hamilton Steelhawks from Edmonton Blizzard) - Jackson Rogers-Tanaka - 409 Points - 37.18 PPS - HOF
17. Stars Toronto North Stars - Barney Stinson - Hall of Famer - 590 Points 1300 SB 2700 Hits - 3rd all time in SB. 2nd All Time Hits
18. Dragons Calgary Dragons - Gil Lemar - 306 Points over 10 season - Traded from Calgary to LA for Nicholas Pedersen
19. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers - Valterri Bottas - 356 Points over 10 Seasons - Helluva teammate
20. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - Dean Colt - Faceoff King - 475 Points over 18 seasons - 20th All Time in Hits
21. Stars Toronto North Stars (via West Kendall Platoon from Seattle Riot) - Toki Wartooth - 208 Points over 15 Seasons our 3rd sub par career
22. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (via Manhattan Rage) - Keith Trubachev - 12 career points over 2 seasons - Bust City
23. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard (via Hamilton Steelhawks) - Mark Longford - 17 Seasons - 407 Points - 1000+ Hits - Solid Career
24. Rage Manhattan Rage (via Winnipeg Jets) - Jaden Maxfield - 3 games played - Bust
25. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (compensatory pick) - Blake Sherill - 424 Points over 15 seasons - Member of the 4 Cup Club

Round 3
26. Platoon West Kendall Platoon (via Toronto North Stars from Minnesota Chiefs) - Aviad Ratzon - 322 Points over 12 Seasons, 1251 hits, Solid Power Forward
27. Platoon West Kendall Platoon (via Toronto North Stars from West Kendall Platoon) - John Heimer-Schmidt - 144 Points over 6 Seasons. meh
28. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (via Texas Renegades) - Le Scucker - 1 Season 3 point bust
29. Jets Winnipeg Jets (via Edmonton Blizzard from Los Angeles Panthers) - Jed Hackert - 9 Seasons 182 points Shot block machine over that time span
30. Rage Manhattan Rage - Arton Laxk - First Goalie Taken - 70 -75 -21
31. Stars Toronto North Stars (via Calgary Dragons) - Chester Cunningham - 29th on the All Time Scoring List w/642 Points - 1924 Hits -
32. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers - Alexander Kjærberg - 11 Seasons 238 Points -
33. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - Yuri Boyka - 562 Points in 14 Seasons, 55th All Time -
34. Riot Seattle Riot - Clay Parker - 28 points over 3 seasons - bust city
35. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (via Manhattan Rage) - Jakub Krejci - Never made it to the SHL
36. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks (via Texas Renegades from Hamilton Steelhawks) - Griffin Simons - 12 Seasons 563 Points -46.9 PPS - HOF
37. Stars Toronto North Stars (via Winnipeg Jets) - James Adkins - Never played in the SHL

Round 4
38. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks (via Minnesota Chiefs) - Jakob Tanner - All He Did was Win WIn Win Win 4 Cups - HOF
39. Platoon West Kendall Platoon - Kari Kekkonen - 16 Points over 2 Seasons.
40. Renegades Texas Renegades - Brian O'Rourke - 46 Points over 4 Seasons
41. Stars Toronto North Stars (via Edmonton Blizzard) - Axel Reid - 7 Points over 2 seasons
42. Stars Toronto North Stars - Nicholas Pederson - 5 SHL Cups - 869 Points - 8th All Time Scoring List - 22 Seasons
43. Dragons Calgary Dragons - Deacon Douglas - Never Played in the SHL
44. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers - Jackson Hauke - Hit Machine 1550 Hits over 10 Seasons.
45. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - Christophe Bourgeois - 7 Seasons 122 points
46. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers (via Seattle Riot) - Shinji Kudryashov - No SHL Career
47. Jets Winnipeg Jets (via Manhattan Rage) - Kodiak Clark - No SHL Career
48. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (via Hamilton Steelhawks) - Elyk - 16 Seasons - 416 Points

As you can see this was quite a draft class with what it looking like at least 12 Hall of Famers. There was nothing like S20's draft. It remains to be seen if the recreates in my class can recreate the success this amazing class had.

[Image: mstuk41.gif]
[Image: 35884_s.gif]

[Image: jcjcF7J.png][Image: nHs4nH0.png]

S42 was overshadowed by the massive S43 draft class in almost every way possible. With only a handful of high-profile recreates in Grapehead, Raven, and Narconis (I'm probably missing like half the draft but whatever), the draft was green, and most of it seems likely to never leave the smjhl, with players like Noah Nowes busting in amusing fashion. The first round did have its fair share of talent, though, with Rafe Ulrich at 1st OA, and other players like Eriks Skalbergs. Somehow I've ended up one of the most highly touted prospects from there, despite my subpar TPE count. That alone should tell you a fair bit about the quality of this draft class. It's not because I became Rage Co, there's no way anyone actually cares about that, right?

Either way, I think my fellow draftee and first overall pick Raven sums it up pretty well. When asked about the class, he had few words to say, leaving us with only the following:
[Image: unknown.png]

[Image: sig-e-e-geck-atl.png]

e

The Season 31 Draft Class. Where to begin? Four of the last five Ron Mexico Trophies have been won by the class (Jeff Kirkstone, Timo Haas, Joe Kurczewski, and Jason Visser). The class has also produced five John McBride Trophies (Haas x2, Olli O’Koivu, Kirkstone, and Ekaterina Rudnikova), three Scott Stevens Trophies (Alexis Metzler x2, Matthew Leetch), three Jeff Dar Trophies (Zach Evans, Corey Bearss, and Kurczewski), and three Damian Littleton Trophies (Jaosn Aittokallio x2, Evans).

Unfortunately, the class has not had much in the way of staying power. All of the McBride-winning goalies have since retired, and many of its members who held positions of power in the league have since relinquished them. The amount of success its holdovers can enjoy – players such as Kurczewski, Evans, Metzler, Bearss, Ludwig Koch Schroder, Pietra Volkova, Trevor Wilson, and Alex Light – will likely determine how the class is viewed in hindsight.

How does Evans fit into it? Well, he was here, I guess. Evans won a Challenge Cup, and had one spectacular season in S38 that saw several awards placed on his mantle, kicking and screaming the whole way. At one time I cared a lot about this league, which is why (for now, at least) I’m its only first-gen member to win the Littleton. But on the ice, he was a pretty good player in a class full of great players, and Chadathy Brodangleschlong.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

Well this is an easy one! The Season 37 draft class was just covered in a recent breakdown I did of the class not long into the future and as my title tells, the draft class I was a part of ended up being historically bad. The class was pretty shallow form the start with just a couple of rounds with many already being inactive. However, there weren’t even enough actives at the time of the draft to fill out one round. To make matters even worse if you go back and look at the class today there are only six players that remain solid, active contributors today. A few others got their players to a level high enough to contribute to their drafting teams but not to be long-term players or all stars. Personally, I fit in as one of the top players of the draft class, but that would be the case regardless of my earning simply by the process of elimination….so it doesn’t mean too much! Some of the leaders are Myself, Hercules Rockefeller, the Tanner Brothers, Logan Jensen and Sven Brokstad….that’s everyone that is still around today…so it hasn’t aged well.

[Image: TorTuck.gif]
[Image: sAx3Llh.jpg]