Create Account

An Open Letter to SHL Members

There has been quite a bit of discussion going on about wanting "insider articles" to stop, and I just wanted to give my opinion on the topic. These aren't a new concept in simulation leagues, but the issues surrounding them have never seen this kind of spotlight before. I will say, I try my best to not be the type of member that says "Oh well back in the day, we did [insert previous practices] and it was fine", although some times that may happen. I'm also pretty much just sticking to talking in my locker room these days, except for when I go on public boards to annoy my friends, @.bojo for example, to congratulate people on accomplishments, @raymond3000 and @Steelhead77 being the most recent in memory, to thank people for their work keeping the site as in tip-top shape as it can be, @ArGarBarGar and all his work, or to ask people questions on their podcasts, @Slappydoodle and @Bonk obviously come to mind. But some times, I like to voice my opinion and that's what I'm doing here. Take it or leave it, I just wanted an outlet for this side of the matter heard and the extra media money doesn't hurt either.

The current and prevailing argument for wanting these types of media articles to stop is because "people are getting hurt they're being told they're on the block and it's making GM's upset". That's what I've gathered, and I'm obviously paraphrasing. But that's the general idea. So in short, people aren't happy. That's not what we want in our league. I was in the SHL Head Office from S20-S32, and was asked to step down from my position because "it'd be a good idea to bring in new blood". In hindsight, that was a terrible decision because the person who took my spot was almost immediately asked to leave. But, it led to other members being able to step up and some of those individuals were great, so I digress. My point is, when I was in HO all those seasons, I always wanted this to be a place where people could escape to and enjoy themselves. That's what it was for me, and it remains to be that. However, people are upset, so let's deal with the issue.

People are upset, but I don't think this is a thing to be upset about. There are quite a few reasons you'd find yourself on the trade block but I'll focus on the two that are most obvious to me. One, the GM of your team finds your attitude doesn't reflect the image he or she wants their team to portray; two, the GM of your team thinks that by sending you away, they can better their team. If it's the case of the first situation, then you know, stuff happens. Communication has broken down with your team's management and it's time to go. If you're upset about that, go talk to your GM. Maybe you can reconcile your differences. I was the co-GM of a team at a time where the GM heavily wanted to trade someone because of attitude issues. I said "hold on, let's talk to him one last time and see what they say". So we had a good, productive talk with the individual (I remember being at the airport on my way to Ireland on low battery on my phone at the time as well), and we managed to fix things. We ended up taking him off the block, after he knew he was on there. The individual at hand wanted to change his ways, and he did. Problem solved. Both parties knew this person was on the block, I'm pretty sure it had gotten out that he was as well, but it was fine in the end. If it's situation number two, then ya. It might hurt a bit that you think your team doesn't see you as a part of the future. But if someone trades for you, then that means there's another team that thinks highly of you, and thinks you ARE the piece that they need to get to the next level. Even if you're on the trade block for a while, and no one is biting, take that as an opportunity to show people "hey, I'm here. I'm relevant. I want to win, let's get it done." If you do that, I guarantee you'll either have people vying for your player, or your GM is going to take you off the market after thinking "oh wow, maybe moving this person isn't the right move for us". You don't have to turn a negative piece of news into something that ruins your experience here. Be excited that you may get to be somewhere you're wanted. Take it as a challenge to show off how great of a player you have, and what a good member you are to the site.

Finally, stuff like this can be good for the site. If we can stop feeling hurt about being on the block, think of the discussions that this can bring, either in the locker rooms or in the media section. The site can thrive with activity like this. Use it to better the place we all share. If you want a "real life scenario", think of this. If Erik Karlsson had found out through Bob McKenzie that he was actively being shopped, would the NHL order a blackout on Bob McKenzie for telling people what he was told? No, of course not. Is it hurtful to Erik Karlsson's feelings? I don't know, probably. He seemed really upset after being dealt, anyway. But it's part of the game. It's hockey. Trade rumours, true or false, will always be there. It can be negative, sure, and it can hurt being told you're on the block. But try to turn it into a positive.

I won't go into how SHL's Head Office is currently dealing with this, because it's not an issue that everyone should concern themselves about, but if they see this, and I'm sure they will, I want you guys to know that I strongly disagree with how you're handling it. I'm disappointed, and I'm looking forward to the day I see a decision from you guys that brings back the trust that I once had in you.

That's all I have to say on the matter. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but since July of 2014, I've prided myself in trying to make this into a community that we can all enjoy. Whether it be during my tenure as SHL HO member, an SMJHL GM or rookie mentor helping new members, an SHL GM, or just an ordinary member on SHL trying to make sure his teammates are doing alright. This is my opinion, take it or leave it.

Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Please take care of it. Here are some helpful links just in case.

Algonquin College Student Support Services - 613-727-4723
Crisis Text Line - Text 'HOME' to 741741
Distress Centre Ottawa and Region - 613-288-3311
Good2Talk - 1-866-925-5454
Kid's Help Phone - 1-800-668-6868
Mental Health Hotline Ontario - 1-866-531-2600
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Click here for a list of crisis centres within Canada
Suicide Prevention Resource Centre
Suicide Awareness Voices of Education

If you have the contact info to your local mental help centres, let me know!

--------------------
[Image: 34987_s.gif]
Player Page | Updates

[Image: 8y3FJne.jpg][Image: kA0CbGn.png][Image: aGT9Qsn.png]

I will say, and I want to stress this. I know HO is acting on what they think is best for the site, and I thank them for trying their best. I don't agree with how things are being done, but I won't take away all they try to do for us.

Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Please take care of it. Here are some helpful links just in case.

--------------------
Player Page | Updates

Or ya know, people put players on the block just to gauge market value. There's a lot of reasons to have trade discussions and they don't need to be made public.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

11-18-2018, 01:46 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Or ya know, people put players on the block just to gauge market value. There's a lot of reasons to have trade discussions and they don't need to be made public.
It doesn't have to be made public, but if it is for whatever reason, it shouldn't cause such a ruckus. You're on the block, you amr or may not be moved. Don't get hurt over it, just do you.

--------------------
Player Page | Updates

wait, is there a punishment being handed down from this?

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

11-18-2018, 01:54 PMMike Izzy Wrote: wait, is there a punishment being handed down from this?
http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=90708

--------------------
Player Page | Updates

Great points imho, I fully agree.

It’s clear that Samee should not be posting articles about potential trades if he can view the GM discussions himself. However, if someone is leaking the info to him, then the HO has no leg to stand on here.

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]