Create Account

Pick #20 Collin Gibbles

Second Round Selection for Local Hero

As we quickly approach the beginning of the SMJHL's 45th Season, we here at the GR Gazette will once more take a look at local talent Collin "Professor" Gibbles. When we last covered Gibbles path to the SMJHL we were just over halfway through the SMJHL Prospect Showcase. Gibbles was leading the Showcase in Assists while playing for the Stingrays who were ranked second in the standings. Things were looking bright for the future draftee headed into the tail end of the season.

Unfortunately team chemistry for the Stingrays ground to a halt. In the last stretch of 10 games the Stingrays only managed to win 1 game against the rival Lions. This skid saw production plummet across the Stingray locker room including Gibbles. Only adding 5 assists and 1 goal in the last 10 was a major setback. Even with his slowed production; Gibbles still managed to hold his assist lead for the showcase finishing with an impressive 36 assists(2 assists above second), 7 goals, and 43 Points(Tied for 9th overall). 

When asked about the late showcase skid; Gibbles had this to say, "We just lost our groove on the ice. We couldn't get any bounces to go our way. But we have the playoffs to worry about now. The guys are hoping to band together and show why we are the best to all the GM's out there."

With team morale at it's lowest the Stingrays looked to the Showcase Playoffs for hope. The Stingrays had dropped considerably in the standings, but managed to stay in the playoff race. In the first round they drew the Bighorns. Things started off hot with the Bighorns taking Game 1 with a score of 5-3. But the joy in the Bighorn locker room wouldn't last as the Stingrays answered back with a close 4-3 victory in Game 2. All eyes were on the two teams going into Game 3 to decide who would face the Showcase favorite Lions in Round 2 after they convincingly put away the Vipers. In a 5-4 victory the Stingrays were moving on to the second round to face their biggest rivals.

Luck would not favor the Stingrays in the second round as they fell short in the first match 2-1. The Lions would take the momentum and eliminate the Stingrays in Game 2 with a score of 5-2. This elimination did not go over well in the locker room with some members blaming others. The Lions would go on to defeat the Wranglers in 3 games to win the S45 Prospect Showcase. At the end of the run Gibbles seemed snake-bitten, only tallying 4 assists in their post-season.

With a second round exit in the rear view mirror, Gibbles focused his attention to the draft. With a massive influx of draft prospects during the off-season the SMJHL had decided to expand with 2 new teams, The Lethbridge Lions and Anaheim Outlaws. Gibbles spent his days leading up to the draft training his strengths and meeting with the various teams to discuss the draft. Touted as a solid 2-way forward, Gibbles had high hopes going into the draft.

"I think my accomplishments and performance in the Prospect's Showcase stand out for themeselves. I have met with many teams to discuss if I will be the right fit for them. I'm just hoping to hear my name called in the first 2 rounds. I'm going to make who ever takes me a contender." - Gibbles

Draft day had finally come for the restless prospects as they all eagerly awaited to hear their name called. Gibbles had decided to await the results with his family back home. After the 10th pick closed out the first round, Gibbles began to feel a bit nervous. Scouts had put him going anywhere from 8th overall to 25th and one by one picks were passing him up. As the second round came down to it's last pick, Gibbles was wondering how far he might fall.

"With the 20th overall pick in the SMJHL Draft, The Anaheim Outlaws select Right Wing, Collin Gibbles."

With one sentence his life had changed. Gibbles received a phone call from the new GM congratulating him and welcoming to the team. With only a few days until the preseason was set to start, Gibbles boarded a plane with his gear and set off for the next chapter in his career. Joining a brand new expansion team presents many pitfalls and opportunities for the new draftees and we will be watching closely to see how Gibbles develops. Gibbles is likely looking to impress in his first season with the Outlaws, with a personal goal to lead the team in assists.

"Collin is a guy that I contemplated taking 10th overall, I like his skillset that much."-Anaheim GM in recently released team presser

- Grant Nugent ~GR Gazette

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

Great pick imo, smart GM. Wink

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

+1

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria