Create Account

How They Got There: NEW Edition

Code:
Payout 50% of this one to majesiu please

Welcome everyone to what I plan to be a complete look at all 14 current SHL teams, specifically how their current rosters came to be. Whether by trade, draft, or free agency, all of these teams and the players they have tell a story, and hopefully this series will capture that. Basically I'll go through each roster from oldest to youngest player and discuss the journey they made to their current team including any past transactions that I was able to find. I can't promise perfect accuracy but I will do my best. This idea originally came from the PBE, as @majesiu and I discussed it over there and he recently completed a series on the 6 (at the time) PBE teams prior to our expansion. With expansion on the horizon in SHL I felt the time was right for this series here too. Let's jump right in with my own team, the Wolfpack.

(S26) LW - Mainio Mäkinen - TPE: 312

Way back in Season 26, Mainio was selected by the Wolfpack with the 2nd overall pick in the draft. They haven't left the team since and also haven't been active since the start of the year, so you'd think there wouldn't be all that many transactions for them or at least many interesting ones. However, Mainio's series of contracts, clauses, and being specified within the clauses of others is pretty impressive. I won't go into everything, but Mainio's first post-rookie deal was set to be from S29-S35, with an automatic opt-out clause if prettyburn was no longer NEW GM. For some reason the team needed to do a shorter version of the contract (S30-S31) with the same clause the next offseason - would love to hear the reasoning behind that one. Later, players such as Mia Landvik and Bennett Jones had clauses in their long-term contracts that would cause those contracts to become void if Mainio was no longer on the team. Anyways, since those first weird deals Mainio has basically been on 1 year, inactive contracts, but must've once been a high TPE earner to have lasted in the league so long.

(S28) D - Mia Landvik - TPE: 980

Mia has been a Wolfpack staple for a long freaking time. Drafted 5th overall in S28, Mia started out with a 3-season rookie deal with the club, before signing an extension at the time that could potentially go all the way to S96 at 2M per year, though with the aforementioned opt-out clause if Mainio left the team. Mia also had a no trade clause in that deal that would only allow her to go to a team with Mikko Linna on it. Before S34 Mia's contract was adjusted, now terminating in S38 and making 4M a season, doubling her original cash intake. She continued to sign more deals with the team including a few for some big bucks, before signing what will be her last contract prior to S44 for the 3M HTD price for her final 2 seasons.

(S30) D - Viatcheslav Orlov - TPE: 747

Orlov was the 9th overall pick by the Seattle Riot back in S30, he started off with a 2 season deal with the club at 4.5M/1.5M. He next continued with the team on a S32-S36 deal worth 3M per season, before extending for 3 more seasons on a HTD deal through S39. He ended up being dealt before S39 as part of the trade that allowed Cory Knouse/ckroyal92 to go to the Blizzard. His next stop was on Winnipeg, as Edmonton dealt him there back in May. After a few more inactive extension for the guy, Ace actually traded for the player he had traded away while with Edmonton ironically enough, finally leading to his current home with the Wolfpack.

(S33) G - Thaddeus Prince - TPE: 458

Thaddeus has stayed somewhat relevant for quite a long time considering he was originally the 20th overall pick by the Dragons in S33 - though the next pick was Zander Rhys for what it's worth. I wasn't able to trace it back successfully but I believe Calgary had to give up quite a bit for that pick as well. He had already gone inactive prior to S37 however, but remained with the Dragons as their presumably backup goalie for an extended period of time. Ace brought him over to the pack just a couple of months ago, and he's now backing up Leitner for us as well.

(S34) C - Xander Green - TPE: 1080

Xander, the 4th overall pick by the Wolfpack, is another lifer to the organization. Poor guy only made 500k on his first contract, though the number went up afterwards obviously. His most noteworthy deal was prior to S39, and he received 4M per season from then until S44. Xander recently re-signed with the team for this season. He continues to fight regression and be a strong leader for the squad.

(S36) RW - Colton Hagan - TPE: 1022

Colton lasted all the way until the 23rd pick of his draft class, landing with the Renegades in the 2nd round. He remained with that team until quite recently, pretty consistently earning 5M per season. However, he has been inactive the past few months, prompting the Renegades to take what they could get for him and swapping him over to NEW for the team's S47 3rd. Time will tell if Colton can return to activity or if he will follow through on a proposed plan of retirement instead.

(S36) C - Tigole Bitties - TPE: 1999

The real ace of this squad, Bitties was taken 4th overall by the Blizzard in the same draft as Colton above. He signed a 3 year deal with the team after the draft, and would sign himself to another bargain priced 3 year deal after becoming GM of the team. He signed a few more 1 season deals to remain with the team after that, but things got really interesting for him just recently. After Ace was named GM of NEW, he needed to trade for his own player - to do so, he had to send along another big-time player in Oisin Fletcher, along with my friend and likely future linemate Piotr Czerkawski and a Seattle 1st rounder. Tough to say which team won the deal so far, but it was certainly an earthshaking one, and Bitties has quickly become the star of the Wolfpack.

(S37) C - Thomas Reynolds - TPE: 161

Thomas was undrafted originally as best I can tell, but was signed by the Wolfpack anyways months after the draft to become roster filler. Not much to say otherwise about this inactive fellow.

(S38) C - Artemi Berezin - TPE: 891

The 5th overall pick by New England in his draft class, Berezin has been with the Wolfpack for a long time considering his past life as Roman Morenov played for the team as well. His rookie deal was cheap and pretty standard, but his next contract made up for it in paying him 8M to remain with the club. He's had a few other fairly standard contracts since then, and despite a lower TPE total than could be expected with his draft class he seems reinvigorated to continue with the team and continue improving as well.

(S38) RW - Hugh Manatee

Despite a great player name not much to say about this guy; was brought to the club as filler at the same time as Reynolds.

(S39) D - Patrick Brumm Jr. - TPE: 480

Brumm was the final pick of the first round in his draft class, and has stuck around with NEW his entire career. Made 3M per season for the first 4 before taking a pay cut before S43 and going largely inactive following that. Still seems to be around the league but not really focused on improvement at this point.

(S39) C - Brock Becker - TPE: 832

Brock lasted all the way until pick 26 in his class, landing with Seattle finally. He was traded to the Blizzard in a deal that allowed Seattle to acquire Alex Koivu while Edmonton cleared some cap space from the roster, and decided to stick around with the team, extending for a season originally before agreeing to terms on a 2 season deal for S44 and S45. Before that deal could really even start he came over from the Blizzard with Bitties as part of that big trade I discussed previously, and is now a strong member of the Wolfpack.

(S40) LW - Max Hansen - TPE: 215

Only Wolfpack member left with me from my draft class, Max was the 53rd overall pick by the team in the 4th round of S40. He was still around at the time of the draft and able to accept his own rookie deal, but was never heard from again. Max is fully able to fulfill his role of making 500k a season to do nothing.

(S40) RW - Manuel Gotze - TPE: 1078

I was taken 11th overall by the Wolfpack in that S40 draft, sandwiched between my SMJHL teammates Blaine McElroy and Kire Yelkrab (I miss y'all). Not much to be said about me since, as I've been paid 3M per season during my career so far and have remained with the team that drafted me. That salary will double starting next season though so I don't have to write long articles like this to afford equipment.

(S41) C - Alex Andani - TPE: 711

Alex was well-regarded going into the S41 draft, and was the first of a back-to-back sequence of picks by the Wolfpack at #2 and #3, with Piotr going after him. He made 2M his rookie season, 3M for the next couple after that, and then signed a big extension with the team prior to S44. He'll make 5M or slightly more through the next 2 seasons, and should be a solid component of the team moving forward.

(S41) D - Kristaps Ball  - TPE: 768

Kristaps, a forward at the time of his draft, joined the squad as the 7th overall pick in a season that the team had 3 first rounders to work with. Along the same lines as his draftmate Andani, Ball started out making 2M, increased that to 3M for several seasons, and is now on a 4M contract for several more seasons to come.

(S42) RW - Herb Robert - TPE: 796

It's pretty rare for an active recent draftee to change teams, but that's exactly what happened for Robert here. He was originally drafted by the Seattle Riot with the 2nd overall pick, and now teams up with Andani as former #2 overall players working together to bring success to the Wolfpack. The guy gets paid good money, with a few seasons at 6M before agreeing to a 3 season, 5M per deal upon arriving to his new team. It cost NEW a S47 1st and Soren Kierkegaard to bring him in, but early signs are extremely promising.

(S42) D - Buck Maverick - TPE: 532

Buck was another player taken by Seattle in that S42 draft that has now ended up on the Wolfpack. Originally the 15th overall pick, he was shipped over to NEW before the S43 draft after wearing out his welcome with Seattle I assume. It cost NEW 2 2nd's in that draft to acquire Maverick and a S44 1st. Seemed to have lost his will to train for awhile but also seems to be back at it now, could end up being a key defensive piece of the squad going forward.

(S42) LW - Rafe Ulrich - TPE: 882

The only player taken above Herb back in S42, the pick came as no surprise considering Rafe's past life with the Wolfpack. Rafe has already started contributing at the SHL level and paying dividends on the early draft selection, and brings another high-scoring, heavy-hitting presence to the team along with Bitties and Gotze.

(S43) G - Johannes Leitner - TPE: 525

(S43) Defense - Maximilian Egger - TPE: 578

These two have followed a pretty much identical path so far so I'm grouping them together to finish this thing off. Egger was the 13th pick in their draft class and Leitner was 16th, and both are making their debuts for the team this season. They also each extended through S47 already, so look for them to stay mean and green for seasons to come.

That's everyone currently on the Wolfpack roster; the breakdown of how they got here looks like this:

Part 1 is done! Let me know if you have any comments or suggestions going forward!

[Image: gotze_team_siggy.png]
[Image: lKRNHAn.png]

Is this Boston Wolfpack? @Ace

[Image: ThdtxoF.png]

|| Fujikawa Player Page || Update Page ||

Nice job on this!

Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Please take care of it. Here are some helpful links just in case.

Algonquin College Student Support Services - 613-727-4723
Crisis Text Line - Text 'HOME' to 741741
Distress Centre Ottawa and Region - 613-288-3311
Good2Talk - 1-866-925-5454
Kid's Help Phone - 1-800-668-6868
Mental Health Hotline Ontario - 1-866-531-2600
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Click here for a list of crisis centres within Canada
Suicide Prevention Resource Centre
Suicide Awareness Voices of Education

If you have the contact info to your local mental help centres, let me know!

--------------------
[Image: 34987_s.gif]
Player Page | Updates

[Image: 8y3FJne.jpg][Image: kA0CbGn.png][Image: aGT9Qsn.png]

Perfect time for the series and looking forward to other teams, since I had pretty good idea about this one Wink

[Image: Too9kfy.png]
 Player Page  |  Update Page

Nice post

[Image: cooldudeam1234.gif]
(Sig Credit: toedragon84)

12-31-2018, 03:47 PMMarley Wrote: Is this Boston Wolfpack? @Ace
Did you look at our Team Information page? It literally says we're based out of Boston.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother