Create Account

Rookie Goalies: How they doin'?
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2019, 11:17 PM by LGRW613.)

(963 words)

Hey y'all! I figured as a nice compliment to the awesome 'Top 10 Rookies Partway through the season' article that Lynxfire wrote up, I would do a goalie version! To be completely transparent here, I want to state first and foremost that I AM ALSO A ROOKIE GOALIE. However, I'm only using the stats, which I've put into a Google Sheets page linked below. Hopefully you all enjoy!

Let's start with my favourite stat, Games Played. I know it's not a fancy stat, but it's always nice to see rookies getting a starting job from the get go. The grand champion here is Casimir Stevens of the Vancouver Whalers Whalers . He paces all rookie goalies, having played in 26 of his teams 27 games! In 2nd place, we have a tie between Mike McKorsy (Halifax Raiders raiders ) and Patrice Nadeau (Lethbridge Lions Lions ), with 24 games played each. What's been interesting is that 7 rookie goalies have played in over 50% of their teams games this season, with Tibok Soonika (Anaheim Outlaws Outlaws ) JUST missing the mark, with 13 GP out of 28 games. 

Now, on to the stats we're all wondering about. I'm talking Sv% and GAA. These are stats that really show which rooks are flourishing with their teams. I was going to write all these stats out, but after seeing the data and how all over the place it is, I'm just going to make a list for you guys.

Sv%                                                                          GAA

1. Lee Marshall Scarecrows  (0.917)                                   1. Lee Marshall Scarecrows  (2.05)
2. Tibok Soonika Outlaws  (0.913)                                 2. Peter Larson Armada  (2.26)
3. Aleksi O'Koivu-Volkova Militia  (0.907)                     3. Tibok Soonika Outlaws  (2.28)
4. Peter Larson Armada /Yuri Ushakov Raptors  (0.898)     4. Aleksi O'Koivu-Volkova Militia  (2.32)
5. Eddy Ask Jr. Whalers  (0.895)                                   5. Eddy Ask Jr. Whalers  (2.50)

Looking at these two stats, it's easy to see who the top goalies have been this season. Taking the 1 spot in both categories is Lee Marshall of the St. Louis Scarecrows, who has had an impressive rookie season. His stats would rank him first in the league in both categories. However, he has the least appearances of any goalie on this list (6 GP), compared to rookies like Peter Larson, who are clearly the starter on their team (19 GP). Tibok Soonika is having objectively the most impressive rookie season, as he ranks 2nd and 3rd on the rookies list while playing in 13 games. I think it's safe to say the future of SMJHL netminders is looking bright, and we could definitely see most of these boys being called up to the SHL sooner rather than later. 

Now, I don't want to bore you guys too much with my awful writing, so I'm going to avoid writing out a paragraph for every stat (you can check out the doc yourself if you're stat hungry), and I'm going to dive in to a couple of stats that caught my attention. 

I'm going to start with shutouts. I'm a huge fan of shutouts, because nothing is more awesome than a goalie standing on his head and blanking the other team. Leading the pack this season is Mike Hunt (Anaheim Outlaws Outlaws ) with 2 shutouts (which ties him for 1st in the SMJHL). We have a three way tie for second place, as Yuri Ushakov Raptors , Peter Larson Armada , and Billy Sorokin Scarecrows each have 1 shutout on the season. What's interesting is that, out of the 10 shutouts that have been posted this season, 50% have been posted by rookie goalies! Either this crop of rookies is good, or it's a bad year for SMJHL goalies (Hint: It's not.). 

Another fun one to look at is PIM. Most rookies have 0 (obviously), and 4 of them have only 2. Lee Marshall Scarecrows takes second on the list with 6 PIMs (shoutout to my Double Minor Slashing call, gotta play with that edge). HOWEVER, blowing all other rookie goalies out of the water is your boy Casimir Stevens Whalers . This prototype goon-goalie hybrid takes the top spot on our list with 19 PIMs! Honestly, either this dude is throwing down like Doug "The Thug" Glatt or he just can't see the (expletive) trapezoid. You're guess is as good as mine.

The final stat I want to dive into really quick is Penalty Shots. Now, I don't know what the hell is going on in this league, but our leader in this category is Yuri Ushakov Raptors , who for some reason has faced 13 of these bad boys in his 23 appearances this season. The best ratio, however, is Tibok Soonika Outlaws , who's faced an absolutely RIDICULOUS 10 penalty shots in 13 games! The sim gods are certainly NOT playing nice with Tibok, who seems to have just flipped them off and kept playing at a high level anyways. 

Well, that's it for me boys. If you guys liked this article, let me know! I think I'm going to keep updating this doc as the season goes on, because whether or not you guys care, I certainly do. Click the link below to get to the sheet! Also, I'd like to pass this on to you guys. Who do y'all think the best rookie goalie this year has been? I personally say Lee Marshall Scarecrows , but I'm probably SLIGHTLY biased.

S45 Rookie Goalie Stats

GO SCARECROWS Scarecrows

[Image: DBXYBXV.png]

Aleksi O'Koivu-Volkova been great for us!

[Image: dVy6XWn.jpg]
[Image: 9POiosr.png]
First SHL goal on first SHL shot in first SHL game.

Knights backup goalie Low Temp, also a rookie, is 4-0-0 just sayin. Wink

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

@chetib and @"AtlasHunter" you boys are making me proud.

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

@SlashACM teaching the rookie how to Slash

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]

01-14-2019, 12:41 AMDangles13 Wrote: @chetib and @"AtlasHunter" you boys are making me proud.

its all your teaching boss!

[Image: il_fullxfull.2951208976_e3ir.jpg]

[Image: zFE0mSA.png] [Image: HKi05IH.png] [Image: KS8UYv9.png]

Great stat collection and commentary. Good to get visibility of the rookies who have some playing time but not enough to to hit the league leader boards.

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page

stevens the goon!

also as Goalie a fighter

DAMMIT

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

Enjoyable read!
Lee Marshall rocks.

Stars | Player | Update Thread | Gordie#6746 | Manual Lineup Sheet | HockeyNation | Grizzlies
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019, 02:07 PM by Ask.)

Good one @LGRW613 Cheers Looking forward to reading more about the goalies. And nice to finally see my name somewhere, haha!

[Image: b84a2c-1547401519.jpg]
@Chris-McZehrl  Angel

[Image: TtSHTwn.png]

Player Page | Update Thread
[Image: VhDOEWm.png]

01-14-2019, 02:06 PMAsk Wrote: Good one @LGRW613 Cheers Looking forward to reading more about the goalies. And nice to finally see my name somewhere, haha!

[Image: b84a2c-1547401519.jpg]
@Chris-McZehrl  Angel

<3

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

Love the comment about me haha it's all I got goin in this slump right now

[Image: S3zuZxo.png]
[Image: 10cjae8.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019, 08:01 PM by chetib.)

Thanks for the kind words! (Feel free to keep them coming!)

Tibuk Soonika - G - Tampa Bay Barracuda| Portal Page
BarracudaSwitzerlandKnights