Create Account

S45 SMJHL PT #5 - Firsts

Vandy scored his first goal on Day 41 of the season. Already with 10 assists on the season, he would have been happy with just getting 2nd line minutes and scoring a ton of assists all year. But that first goal against Montreal, a team rocking their best Ronald McDonald uniform look alikes, that one will always stand out. The two guys that assisted on the goal are both suspended, which doesn't bode well for a repeat first playoff goal. But a team isn't just two people, we can overcome and push on to a repeat trip to the Four Star cup finals. This season, my first in the J has taught me one thing, that I definitely belong here. That all of my hard work, all of those late nights and early mornings, all of those days working in the gym and on the ice has finally paid off.

It has prepared me well for my ultimate goal, playing in the SHL and I am ready to prove to the league what I am capable of.

01-27-2019, 10:33 AMej27 Wrote: Highlight one of your SMJHL firsts.  Tell us about your first point, first fight, first penalty, whatever.

Requirements

Written: Must include 150 words.   Must be hockey related, must reference a specific moment from a SIM.  

First Halifax Win of the Season/My First Career SMJHL Win

Halifax was riding a crazy fourteen game losing streak to open the season, and it felt like we were going to set every negative record in the SMJHL record book.  Even worse, the Raiders lost their fourteenth game to Detroit, and they were now facing the Falcons at home in Halifax.  Nobody thought it could be done...but little did Detroit know what was in store for them.  The Raiders came out strong, scoring in the game's first five minutes.  The previous game ended 1-0 in favor of Detroit, so the first goal was very important.  Then Halifax added a second goal with under five minutes to go in the first.  This type of offensive outburst was unseen previously in the year for the Raiders.  Halifax added an insurance goal near the half way point of the second period, and the Raiders shut the door on Detroit.  The Falcons did score a meaningless goal with 4 seconds left in the game, but the Raiders were victorious 3-1, and I won my first SMJHL game.  It was monumental.  Let this be a lesson to the rest of the league, no one beats Halifax fifteen games in a row.

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

I had a strong start to my first SMJHL season but the first that I want to talk about today is my first SMJHL goal. Heading into my fourth SMJHL game I was point per game and feeling hyped. I was anxious to keep the vibes flowing and help my team secure more wins. I was making a name for myself and I wanted people to remember who I was throughout the season. Kelowna scored the first of the game half way through the first and doubled up half way through the second, only allowing Anchorage their first after that to bring it up to 2-1. We were in the third, protecting our lead. We were playing much tighter at this point in the game, heavily focused on defense over offence. By the mid way mark of the third we only had 1 shot on net. With my limited ice time I wanted to make something happen and somehow I actually did. With our second shot of the period I managed to beat the goalie and increase our lead to 3-1. I was ecstatic! 4 points in 4 games was great for a rookie! I finished the year with 30 points in 50 games and I am extremely impressed with what I manage to accomplish.

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2019, 06:07 PM by Wawazat.)

S45 SMJHL Schedule.
  Game 194 on the schedule, also listed as game 62 of the 77  for the Saint Louis Scarecrows. 
A forgettable road game in Kelowna where the Scarecrows out shot the Knights 19-11 and that unfortunately finished as a 3-2 W for those home standing Knights. 
  It's also the first SMJHL game for 'that guy Wawazat'
And that makes it UNforgettable on a personal basis. I did a lot of staring at my gear, and the newness of the jersey with my name sewn on the back. Just living in the moment..the stiffness of the laces of the skates I'd been given since mine were considered 'too old' to be seen on the ice of a 'real' game. 
  I watched my teammates as they got prepped making sure I was doing it right..'slightly nervous?...F**k Yeah!!' 
I watched the reaction from those across the lockerroom to my personal superstition of drawing a smiley face on all my stick blades before I taped over them. And I smiled and my nerves relaxed. '..no trip to the John to puke necessary.'
 I wanted to soak it all in. Everything. Even the simple little things like the stacks of rolls of stick tape and the coaches famous quotes that were altered with different colored dry erase marker scribble turning a few into humorous dirty jokes on the grease boards. I watched as several of the players made trips to the refreshment table to grab some orange slices or Protien bars , and the sounds of the pregame playlist. Although I gotta admit when that 'Scarecrow rhyme' thing came on, well I put in my wireless ear buds and let some old school metal take me to a higher level.
It's a good memory of what really was a statistically forgettable beginning for a hockey career. 
S45 11 games played ,and a big 0 across the board.
All I can do is stay positive and try my best to be a player that improves over time and makes wearing a St.Louis jersey a 'Great' thing.

(470)

[Image: Untitled-5.jpg][Image: 189-1895167_american-flag-superman-logo.png]

UPDATE PAGE

Quote:S56 WJC AWARDS
“Our third award is one that is dear to my heart as a SHL goaltender… The Peter Larson Award for the Top Goalie! This is voted by the GMs and considers both the round robin and medal rounds. The S56 Winner of the Peter Larson Award is….…
C.K. Supernaw! “

Battleborn Usa

Chico Smeb made his SMJHL debut against the Halifax Raiders. As a 64th overall pick, not much was expected of Chico this season. He made the team just barely out of training camp, and was put on the 3rd pairing to play as the #6 defenceman. Chico didn't agree with this as he thought his family history (his father being a HOFer) would allow him to play in the top 4 out of pure respect. Chico had a lot to prove now that he could be a HoF type player like his father.

Chico came out strong in game one. He recorded his point of his career just 7 minutes into the game on his 3rd shift. Later in the 3rd period he recorded another beautiful primary assist, giving him 2 points in his debut. His first SMJHL game gave him not only his first point, but also his first multi-point game, and on top of that was a +2. A pretty good debut with only 12 minutes of ice-time.

Words: 173

Former
SHL Head Commissioner S12ish-S27ish
GM Dragons S8 & S9 (Won cups both years)
2x GM Of The Year
5 Time Cup Winner
League MVP

Past Players
[Image: HOF2.png] D - Aidan Richan - [Image: HOF2.png] (S5 11th Overall) Dragons
[Image: HOF2.png] C - Chico Salmon - [Image: HOF2.png] (S17 1st overall)  Renegades

Current Player
D - Chico Smeb (S46)

SMJHL - Drafted 65th Overall by Raptors
SHL - Drafted 23rd Overall by Dragons

There were a lot of options to choose from: first point, first goal, first match, first first star rating, getting a spot on the first line. However, i have chosen my first 4-point game. This happened on 17 january 2019 in game #177 against the Vancouver Whalers (LINK). On that day we crushed the Whalers 8-2 and Gordie had an amazing game. He scored 1 goal and assisted on 3 others. What made it more spectacular is that all 4 points came on an even-strength situation and Gordie ended the game with a +4. That performance deservedly earned him the first star of the match. It was an unbelievable feeling being that important for the team. It was also totally unexpected since Gordie did not had many multi-points games until then. It was the breakthrough of what was already known in the St. Louis locker room, a superstar in the making.

Stars | Player | Update Thread | Gordie#6746 | Manual Lineup Sheet | HockeyNation | Grizzlies

Game 7 the Anchorage Armada visited the Kelowna Knights at Prospera Place. Past the halfway mark in the second period Vladislav Konstantin scores an important equalizer for the Kelowna Knights to make it 3-3. The Kelowna Knights were being heavily outshot in the first period so it comes as a surprise to see the Knights bounce back like this. Than at 15:02 in the second period there is Liam Hutchinson with a nice feed to Barry Batsbak who scores his first ever goal in the SMJHL to make it 4-3 for the Knights. Because the third period remained scoreless it would also be Barry’s first ever game-winning-goal in the SMJHL and for the Kelowna Knights. Barry receives the third star of the game because he also won 11 out of 17 draws on the faceoff.

After the game Barry received the puck he scored his game-winning-goal with from captain Sanyi Kocsis, who was over the moon with the rookies performance and told the media that he thinks Barry will have a bright future in Kelowna and any team in SHL would be happy to have him.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

[Image: image.gif]

Mike McKorsy Halifax Raiders

[Image: image.png][Image: image.png][Image: image.png][Image: image.png][Image: image.png]

[Image: pt5-SMJHL.jpg]

[Image: Depositphotos-46829959-original-1024x602.jpg]

Anaheim Outlaws power forward Jerry Mander recorded his first [two] hits in his first game of the season, a 5-2 loss against the Detroit Falcons. In pre-season interviews among smaller publications (as this is Jerry's preferred mode of communication), it was pieced together that he would be looking for the hit before a goal in most cases:

"My goal to start the season was to help my teammates score. The most effective way I can do that as a stronger guy who likes to hit is, well, hit people. That way, we both win -- the guys on my team can show off their scoring capability, and I can show the SHL teams what I'm all about, which is maintaining physical play."

Mander's take on the game is certainly not unique, but it has become increasingly rare in recent SMJHL seasons. In preparation for the playoffs, Mander was asked about his first career official hit in the SMJHL, registered on Hippo Passamus at 0:04 of the 2nd period.

"Well, it's simple. I tried to line him up about 4 times in the 1st, and he scored on the power play, so I felt like I needed to make a statement to start the 2nd. Angelo won the face-off and I cut left, went straight for Hippo while he was still looking for the puck. Hit him clean. Needed that momentum down 2-1. Too bad we didn't capitalize! But yeah, it felt good."

Mander led all SMJHL rookies and was 6th in the league with 110 hits.

"I'm hoping for 150. But if I matched 110 with 40 points, I wouldn't be mad about that, either."

It took Russian forward Aleksandr Scherbak until the last game of the regular season, but he finally scored his first professional North American goal. Keith Keller is downstairs with him now to ask him about it.

KK: That must have been a good feeling for you, finally getting that first goal, can you talk us through it?

AS: Was great feeling, yes. Have scored goals before, obviously, but this one is most special. Felt good to finally get it, help out Kelowna, and is a huge confidence boost heading into the post season. Was a great pass by [Guy] Zheng, right on blade, and I just shot it. Didn’t think it was going in, to be honest, but just put it over the Colorado goalie’s glove and in. Amazing feeling.

KK: Back home, you scored more than a few timely goals, how important do you think this one was, opening the scoring in the very last game of the season?

AS: Very, we had a strong start, obviously getting goal was great, but more important was getting momentum for team, getting confidence for playoffs. Feels like the start of a strong push, am very excited to try and bring the Cup back to Kelowna.

KK: One again, congratulations on the goal, and good luck for the playoffs.

AS: Thanks Keith.

Everyone remembers their first goal, but Michael Fox's first goal was something to be remembered within itself. It didn't take long for Fox to make his mark either, finding the back of the net in just his second SMJHL game. The goal, however, was no ordinary goal. Shortly after an icing call against the Whalers, Blake Zhukal won the ensuing faceoff in the Whalers zone, and Michael Fox immediately scooped up the puck and took a shot that was then blocked by fellow rookie Casimir Stevens. Zhukal then snagged the rebound and took a shot of his own, but with quick thinking by Fox, it was deflected off of Fox's stick into the top of the net. Fox had this to say about his first goal:

Michael Fox: "Man, I don't think I'll ever forget that first goal. It happened pretty quickly after the faceoff too. Zhuke just got the puck right to me off the draw and Cas made a pretty good save on it. Zhuke got the rebound and I got to the front of the net to try and give him a screen. His shot was a little low so I tried to redirect it up to go over Cas's pads and next thing I hear is the goal horn. I've still got that puck at home, I'm waiting for when I get drafted into the SHL to get a house and make a room for stuff like that, but that one is pretty f****** special. Whoops, sorry about that."

[Image: lap-teamsig.png]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

My first goal, It was my second game of my first season in the Smjhl. We were playing Halifax Raiders in Halifax, first time I've ever been there. I remember that Alexander selich fired a puck on net and Mike McKorsy made a save and covered it for a whistle. Coach taped me on the shoulder and told me to get on. I was facing Troy Reynolds at the dot and i manage to win the faceoff, we keep the puck in the offensive zone and circle around with it i remember Eric Vanderberg passing it to Anastasia O'Koivu at the top of the left side and she skates along the boards toward the corner and then just flips the puck to me at the right circle and i just fired a onetimer straight in to an almost open net. It was a surrealistic feeling. The goal tied us at 1-1 and we managed to win the game in the shootout.

[Image: knute.jpg]

How could Tibuk Soonika forget his first professional match. It had been 3 matches in and only 1 of the rookie goalies had seen any ice time. Tibuk was getting nervous as he watched Mike Hunt back stop what was shaping up to be a juggernaut of an expansion team. It was in the morning skate that he got the call that he would be starting between the pipes that night and what an entrance he would make.

Nerves would get the better of Tibuk early in the first period letting in a goal in the opening 2 minutes of the game. This would only steel his resolve as we wasn't going to let his team down on his first night. Colorado was pushing hard in that first period getting 13 shots away and trying to pull ahead but Tibuk stood his ground and his team rallied. By the end of the first period it was tied at 1-1. The second period saw Tibuk falter again and Anaheim was in the hole again 2-1. It was as Tibuk was resetting his net that he looked to the crowd and saw a young boy cheering, spinning around the back had the name Soonika printed across the back. No one realized at the time it but this would be the turning point of the game. Tibuk shut the door on rest of the 2nd period allowing Anaheim to get back into the game and tie it once more. Going into the 3rd period it was a 2-2 draw. Both teams battled but Tibuk was solid shutting Colorado out and giving his team a chance to win. By the end of the 3rd it was still a 2-2 tie. In overtime Both teams had their chances but in this goalie duel neither blinked. This game was going to be settled with a shootout.

First shot by Anaheim was a goal from Hiro Fujikawa. Colorado player Jakub Novak has a chance to tie it, but the door is slammed by Tibuk. Anaheim has the opportunity to pull away but a missed shot but Thornton Opperman gives wind into the Colorado sails. Alexander Selich has a chance to tie it up for Colorado, He deaks but too slow and Tibuk Soonika catches a piece of it! All Jerry Mander of the Anaheim outlaws has to do it score and the game is decided. Snap shot.....it's in! Anaheim wins!

With that Tibuk records his first ever win, in his first ever game, during his first ever shootout appearance. This is a game that will go down in Anaheim history.

Tibuk Soonika - G - Tampa Bay Barracuda| Portal Page
BarracudaSwitzerlandKnights

It was game day 6. The Anaheim Outlaws played their 2nd game of the season against the Lethbridge Lions. The first one was a deceisive 7-1 win, but this second duel was going to be much closer - and it was going to be a memorable game for Mathias Seger. After 4 minutes and 46 seconds in the 2nd period, Jerry Mander played to puck back and with a beautiful slapshot into the top right corner, Seger beat Lions goalie Patrice Nadeau to score his first goal in the SMJHL. This goal marked the 2:1 lead for the Outlaws. But early in the 3rd period, the Lions managed to score two goals within four seconds to steal the lead. Five minutes before the final horn, Vital Kravtsov scored the equalizer. The game looked to go into overtime when Tye Maximo played a perfect pass to Seger and he had an easy time to score his first game winning goal.

But that's not all firsts this game had to offer for the young Swiss defenseman. It also marked his first two-goal game and to top it all off, his first "1st star" of his career.

[Image: outlaws2.png]  [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]  Mathias Seger #15 | Player page | Update page [Image: outlaws2.png] [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]
[Image: Segi.gif] 
Sigs by Donini, RainDelay, Fever and OrbitingDeath