Create Account

8 Games In - Rookie Showcase - Vipers Edition
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2019, 09:24 PM by Wibbly McButternutz.)

Rookie Showcase - Quick Hit Vipers Edition

Feb. 16 2019
Chaz Anderson - SMJHL Beat Reporter

At 3-4-1 after the first 8 games, the Vipers have some work to do.

The good:
     1. The top line of Kobe Krisp, Espen Knutsen Jr. & Max Huebner combined for a total of 35 points with Krisp leading the way in goal  scoring (6).  The trio hopes to continue to lead the way and will look for secondary support to get the Vipers back over .500.

2. Wibbly McButternutz - Although he hasn't seen the back of the net, this guy gets the crowd pumped with his bone jarring hits and has the stats to back it up.  Second to only Max Power (WRA) in hits with 25, top 10 in shots blocked with 15 and is a workhorse with top 10 minutes played.  I don't think the Vipers penalty kill would be sitting at No. 2 without him.

3. Goalie Harry Carpet has been left out to dry time and time again (Tied most shots against).  His stats may not be sexy, but he's the kind of guy a team trusts.  His work ethic inspires the boys and the coach has 100 percent faith in him. 

4. I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't mention White Goodman.  The odd man out on for top line duty, his second line role has impressed scouts.  He's sits 9th in the tournament in overall points and looks to build on that.

5. The Vipers power play.  32%.  Enough said.

Honorable mentions: Tony Ford & Corey Kennedy.  Both D-men proved their worth. 

The Bad
     1. Eko van Otter - Needs to stay out of the box.  He's also had a bit of bad puck luck with a 7.14 SHT%.  He should start to improve on that and his confidence will follow.  

2. Ariz Babul - Too quiet.  Needs to get involved.  Nothing stands out.

3. The Stingray cheerleaders.  "I could smell the trailer park on them" said Wibbly McButternutz.  Ouch.

Closing Statement

I like the make up of this team and with more players set to arrive tomorrow, it's going to be fun to watch moving forward.  These guys are looking to leave their mark in this tournament and we'll see who steps up and catapults themselves up in the draft rankings.

For any media inquiries, please hit me up on Twitter @ChazAnderson2 -- Please note, this is my first day on the job and I'm looking for x2 bonus 500+ words

[Image: wcD1EnF.png]

We may be competition within the draft class but Vipers stick together. Very well written and I'm excited to continue to flourish in this tournament with the rest of the Vipers.

- Espen Knutsen Jr.