Create Account

Sit Down Interview with Sebastien Primeau

Hello everyone and welcome to a very special edition of Chiefs 24/7.

Now, normally on the show we would go ahead and make a retrospective of Minnesota's Season 47 which needless to say was not what the players and management were expecting at all but this time around we will do things differently. We are not saying no to a season recap it may happen somewhere down the line but we have made the call to do something special; A sit-down interview with the team's lead goaltender. Montreal native and one-time Challenge Cup winner Sebastien Primeau.

Thank you for having me.

- In your opinion what are the factors that contributed most to the Chiefs' worse seasons since you came in as lead netminder during Season 42?

To be honest I have a hard time putting the finger on what made it that we went down so hard this season. I mean we went from first in the Western Conference during 46 with 59 points to dead last this season with a tally of 44 points.

- The Chiefs were not last in the league though.

True. Hamilton and Tampa Bay were worse but I’m not playing for either of them. I have trouble understanding how we went so wrong considering most of our core players were still around but their contribution significantly lowered from 46 to 47. One thing I can point out is the decrease of production from our top stars, I mean last season Terrance Nova and Bobby Watson crushed the league by being the top two points scorers. Terrance dominated with 75 points followed by Bobby just one point behind. Their production was halved this time around, Nova finished 20th with 49 points while Watson ended 34th with 43 points.

- Dick Skillstedt retired before Season 47 that must’ve hurt.

Of course, it has, first he is one hell of a team player and an amazing human being he has been missed in the locker room. Things would’ve been different were he had been around considering last season he produced 71 points finishing as the third best points scorer in the league. And even if he would’ve produced less this season it’s still a bunch of points that we don’t have that would’ve surely made a difference this season for us.

- Anything else you think contributed to the lack of success for the Chiefs?

Based on our numbers and comparing Season 47 with the previous one we had a decrease in goals score while maintaining almost the same goal against average. This is matched with a decrease in shots on net as well with an average of 31 a match in 47 versus 35 in 46.

- That is correct, the team held an average of 3.86 goals per game in 46 which lowered to 2.76 in 47.

We had almost the same amount of goals against between the two seasons at three-point thirty-something so we were steady in that department so I think that’s a positive somehow. The same can be said to our Power Play department which had around 21% of average during both seasons. Another positive was an increase in the Penalty Kill we improved from 75 to 80% in Season 47. Another positive element is that we received fewer shots in 47 with an average of 30 compared to 32+ the previous season. We were less efficient also in the Faceoff circle with 49.93 in 47 compared to 53 in 46. We also were less disciplined this season compared to the previous one but not by a whole lot. So if I am to recap everything to resume why this season sucked so much I would say that the loss of key players and the lack of production of some other big pieces contributed to our absence during the playoff dance.

- Do you think the tradeline roster moves were the right ones?

Some of the trades were made to please the desire of some of the guys to play elsewhere that I know for a fact, but others were trades aimed at improving the team and focus on the future as well. We got several draft picks in the mix as well as I believe good players that will be able to contribute now and also in the future. Conor McGregor will be of use real quick real fast during Season 48 as well as Mika Mayfield. Both already played at the end of Season 47 yes I know but they surely will improve upon the next season. I haven’t forgotten about Dwayne Rider either.

- Let’s not forget about the draft picks too.

You are right! Right now Minnesota has a boatload of them for the first three rounds. One in the first round, three during the second round and same in the third so the Chiefs will get seven new players during the next draft which makes things very interesting for the future.

- You talk about the other players a lot, but what about you?

I can’t say I’m satisfied with my own performances either, it would be too easy to push my teammates under the bus and take no blame. I went from winning 26 games in S46, losing 15 and three more in OT with a 3.18 goal against average and 0.901 for save percentage. I had no penalty minutes, two shutouts and 142. In season 47 I won only 18 games but lost 22 and 4 more in overtime this if memory calls is an all-time low for me so you can be sure I’ll be looking to put that record behind me quickly. I expect more and better of myself come Season 48.

- What about Casimir Stevens and Mark McFleury?

In short, I think with those two the future in the net is assured. Casimir has already shown a lot of promise and if McFleury puts in the work there is no telling what he’ll be able to do.

- Do you consider the Minnesota Chiefs to be in rebuilding mode?

At this point in time, yes I believe the organization is in rebuilding mode, but the team is not far away from another run at the playoffs. They have a strong core even if they have not delivered the goods like hey did during Season 46 and their prospects are still growing I do feel like we are just a player or two away from another playoff run.

- With your contract currently up with the Chiefs do you consider exploring Free Agency?

If you’ve been paying attention I recently signed a contract extension with the Chiefs my friend.

- My apologies. Are you satisfied with the terms of your contract?

Yes, I make a bit less money with that contract but I’ll say it here and now I’m not playing for money. Actually, the reduction in pay in my mind can very well help sign some players so I am helping the team by taking what some might consider a pay cut. See I’m not growing any younger and eventually age will catch up to me which I am fine with. I’m working, playing, to win but starting now I am also playing for fun.

- Would you accept to sign up with a team offering you a backup role?

That is I do not retire as a member of the Minnesota Chiefs but to be honest I see myself as a Chiefs for life.

Is there a team you’d see yourself play at before retirement?

Toronto, Edmonton, and Winnipeg. What can I say I’m a sucker for Canadian teams even if I play for an American one. Keep in mind I feel right at home here in Minnesota.

- Would you in the last year of your career accept a backup role in a team?

Yes, but only if unlike Team Sweden they give me proper ice time.

- Still salty over your IIHF treatment I see.

You damn right I am.

- Have you talked with the head office of Team Sweden since the last tournament?

No I have not, and they have not approached me either so, to be honest, I don’t know what is going on.

- It’s not very fair for you if you ask me.

You (bleep!)ing right it ain’t fair and it also does not make any sense. Do you want to know what else doesn’t make sense? Choosing who plays based on season’s performance, well no let me rephrase myself: Not giving any ice time to a top tier goaltender when you have the luxury of having two in your team. Sure, and I will give her the credit she deserves; Kata Wilde outbested me during the regular season that much is true but that was the SHL season, we’re talking about an International Tournament here with a whole set of different players as part of Team Sweden. I’m not asking to play all the matches, I’m not even asking to play half of the round robin ones either! Just give me a match or two, is that too much to ask for a veteran of six seasons in the SHL? Do you know what I think? In the SHL and the juniors, there is a rule requesting teams to have their backup goalies to play a minimum of games a season right? Why not do the same in the IIHF? It sure would keep me happy and not want to throw a fit.

- You aren’t throwing a fit now?

No, I’m expressing my severe dissatisfaction regarding my ice time situation on the International Stage. Keep in mind that if I don’t play a single game this time around it’ll be the third straight season I don’t play for Sweden. At this point, one has to wonder what I am doing there right? I came to that team in it’s a time of need wanting to contribute and win medals. Contribution for me Does Not imply warming the damn bench. It’s quite simple if I don’t play this tournament I’m going to push for a change of rules regarding transfer.

- Say more?

No one on the SHL level should spend more than two seasons off the ice for their National team. So what I suggest the Head Commissioner is to make a rule that allows players like me after two seasons with no play to change Countries. I think it’s only fair for players like me hungry to play and win. It kills me man, KILLS ME, to be stuck on that Ikea bench and that’s all I have to say about that.

- Let's talk about a different kind of future, your son Jake is about to enter the SMJHL as he is set to be drafted in the upcoming Season 48 Entry Draft. How do you feel about that?

''Well it's quite thrilling I'm not going to lie, thrilling and humbling at the same time to see that your own flesh and blood is taking a similar path as you and will be playing hockey professionally this is something that makes me as a parent all sorts of proud and a bit emotional.

- Report says that Jake is a talented forward playing at Center who spend his junior years in the WHL, did he ever consider playing the same position his father did?

''I showed him the ropes with the pads, but while he played a few games in front of the net he always wanted to skate forward. He wanted the thrill of scoring goals so who am I to try to force him into playing a certain way when he is natural in another? I'm not the kind of dad who will impose his will on his son, Jake has always been allowed to do things his way and to see he is about to step into the SMHJL tells me his dedication and his love for the game. Soon the rest of the World will see what I saw in him since he first laced his skates and pushed a puck on a sheet of ice. If he plays hard and works even harder he will make it far, I'm sure he will have a great career if he puts his all into it.

- Can we dream of a father-son duo or even possibly confrontation in the seasons to come?

''It would be a dream of mine of playing at least one season against or with my son I won't lie, it will depend on when he is drafted and when he makes it to the SHL as opposed to when I will decide to call it quits. Truth be told I am no fool I know age is going to catch up to me and one day I will have to hang the pads. It won't be soon though, I feel I have a pair of good seasons still left in me. Right now despite the results of Season 47 I am in the best shape of my life but as I am older, of course, that will be harder and harder to maintain. We'll see, I am taking it one season at a time now, to be honest. I want to enjoy the time I have left.

- Jake is not your only son correct?

''Correct, I have another son who plays right wing in AAA Midget back home in Quebec but he is a few years younger than Jake so he is not ready to make it to the SMJHL just yet.''

- You back in the day played for the Quebec Ramparts, where has Jake played prior to the upcoming SMJHL Draft?

He spent his junior years in the WHL in Canada as as a member of the Red Deer Rebels.

- What about your other son?

Thomas-Ludovic finished his last Triple-A season he played for the Longueuil College-Francais, he is eligible for the upcoming Q draft that is set to take place on June 8th.

- Do you have an idea as to where he will be drafted at?

I wish Patrick Roy will draft him to Quebec as I have, but no matter where he will be drafted my youngest will give it his all. He mad

- Do you hope to see your sons play together or against each other one day?

''It's the dream that's for sure. And once it happens, because it will, I will be there in the stands cheering them both on.''

- Have you considered a managerial job once you retire?

''We'll see when I retire. I'm not there yet. I attempted to give a hand with Sweden a few seasons ago as Head GM but that didn’t work out at all. Lately, I considered trying to help Minnesota with a co-GM assignment but I decided I would do, am, a much better job to help the team in front of the net than behind a desk.''

- Thank you for your time, Sebastien.

Pleasure!

- Well, folks there you have it! This has been a fascinating interview which surely will have people talking ahead of Season 48 or even the next IIHF World Tournament. This has been Chiefs 24/7! So long folks!

Word Count - 2,523
Thank you to @rangersbruinslightning for playing along with this and @Shmurph for helping me with a few of the details. ^^

Mr Prime for starter goalie in Sweden! I sign dis.

RETIRED

Yup Sweden wrong for not even giving you a shot.. its pretty much a form oppression depriving you of an iihf career while others enjoy their offseasons with sims. They really need to look into this issue and make a rule or something idk.

Ily though bro you've been a beast throughout your career and it's an honor to have you as my starting G baby

Doubt is a dream killer

Great interview!

[Image: 60043_s.gif]
Player Page                Update Thread 
Thank you to @Wasty and @frithjofr for a couple great sigs!