Create Account

Barry's stats analysis of the S48 draft class
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2019, 10:07 AM by Katth. Edit Reason: Apparently I can't read and made a mistake )

1007 words, 2x media

In my previous I highlighted the first round draft picks in order of being picked. In this article I will spend some time in going over the statistics of these players that were selected in the first round and the second round. I will be look at each round, but also compare each round. I left out the goaltenders drafted this season and purely focussed on skaters. I have looked at games played, goals, assists, points, plus / minus, ice time and average ice time. It’s a worthy side note to mention that I did not take TPE into account into this article. I also tried to copy/paste excel tables into the post, but that doesn't seem to work. So I made screenshots of them. It will cost me on my word count, but it is what it is.

So let’s take a look at all the skaters drafted in the first round first round and their statistics.

[Image: 11lRb6O.png]

The first round was divided by 7 defenseman, 7 forwards, 1 goaltender and a forfeit pick.

All but one player played 50 games in the SMJHL last season. In total 43 goals were scored by these first round picks and they had a combined of 114 assists which totals to a combined 157 points. The top goal scorer was Satoshi Zizagooney and the players with the most assists were Kaspars Claude and Piotr Horvat. Satoshi Zizagooney lead all 1st round draftees in points with a total of 23. All of them together were +6 with a high of +14 and a low of -27. They played a total of 9,436 minutes which averages for 13.76 minutes per game. With the highest player having 21.38 min. of avg. ice time and the lowest of 6.28.

Now let’s breakdown goals and assists per position.

[Image: vcuomMo.png][Image: any7HRo.png]

As you can see the forwards scored most of the goals, which isn’t surprising. They scored 58% of all goals scored amongst first round picks. Though it’s quite interesting to see that the gap between defenders (42% of all goals) is quite small.

In the assist category the gap is quite big. Defensemen have 71% of all assists and forwards only have 29%.

[Image: 4NKsYp7.png]

Looking at the total points, you can see that defensemen score way more points than forwards. Defensemen have 63% of the points while forwards only have 37%.

Now looking at total ice time for each position.

[Image: ST5okyY.png]

Now it gets interesting. Forwards have a whole lot more ice time combined than defensemen. Forwards have 5,057 minutes of ice time and defensemen have 3,686 total minutes of ice time. So it’s fair to say that defenseman are far more effective with ice time than forwards.

Defensemen score a point per 37.23 minutes of ice time and forwards score a point per 87.19 minutes of ice time.

Now let’s have a look at the players drafted in the second round and eventually how they compare to the players drafted in the first round.

[Image: LLeE4GP.png]

In the second round there were 7 forwards, 5 defensemen and 4 goaltenders.

Two players in the second round didn’t play a total of 50 games, they played 39 games each. In total 47 goals were scored by these second round picks and they had a combined of 103 assists which totals to a combined 150 points. The top goal scorers was Ravyn Tedisko with 9 goals. The players with the most assists was Noah Tedla with 19 assists. Joe Kerr lead all second round draftees in points with a total of 24. That’s one point more than the top scoring draftee in the first round. All of them together were a -23 with a high of +7 and a low of -8. They played a total of 8,682 minutes which averages for 15.02 minutes per game. Which is almost a minute and a half more than the first round. With the highest player having 21.38 min. of avg. ice time (same as first round) and the lowest of 9.72.

Now let’s breakdown goals and assists per position.

[Image: Vdy1IBC.png][Image: ENFtbgq.png]

So these graphs show somewhat of a different picture than the first round. Forwards scored 83% of all goals in the second round and defeseman only 17%. That’s quite a significant gap and pretty different compared to the first round.

In the assist category the defenseman still have the lead with 58%, but the gap towards forwards (42%) is quite smaller compared to the first round.

[Image: 9PaNih4.png]

Looking at the total points, you can see that in the second round the forwards scored the most points compared to defenseman. Forwards have 55% of the points while defeseman have 45%.

Now looking at total ice time for each position.

[Image: 32vU1lX.png]

So to shake it up a little again. Defenseman drafted in the second round have combined for far more ice time than forwards. While there are 2 forwards drafted more in the second round compared to defenseman. Defenseman have 5,464 total minutes and forwards have 3,218 minutes of ice time.

Forwards score a point per 39.24 minutes of ice time and defenseman score a point per 80.35 minutes of ice time. So it’s completely the other way around if you look at the first round.

[Image: ge5aqQB.png]

If we look at the averages per round we can see that each player in the second round scores on average a goal and an assist more than all the players in the first round. Though they also got more ice time to do so.

[Image: WwsxCVD.png]

Finally a look at the averages per position. Forwards score on average 5 goals and have 5 assists in 47 games played. Defenseman have 2 goals and 12 assists on average in 50 games. Defenseman do get more ice time however, but they are also much better in the plus / minus category. 

Looking at these stats from both rounds you can conclude that the better players statistically were drafted in the second round. The players in the second round got more ice time, but were also more effective when they were on the ice.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2019, 10:32 AM by PenKnight.)

Wow!!
Really nice break down!
Love the statistics and charts.
I really like how you compared first round against the second round picks!!

According to the report, it seems it is safe to say, the second round offered a ton of value!?
Take Notice Jon Forty-One @C9Van this report proves that the second round was the real first round!

Cheers  No last name for Zarley... eventually everyone will just call him Z  Cheers

06-07-2019, 10:21 AMPenKnight Wrote: Wow!!
Really nice break down!
Love the statistics and charts.
I really like how you compared first round against the second round picks!!

According to the report, it seems it is safe to say, the second round offered a ton of value!?
Take Notice Jon Forty-One @C9Van this report proves that the second round was the real first round!

Cheers  No last name for Zarley... eventually everyone will just call him Z  Cheers

Katth proving that SHL GM's making stupid picks. I dig it! (Great breakdown honestly)

Raptors Proud S67 - S69 Colorado Raptors Captain  Raptors
Uk S57 Forward of the Season Award winner  Uk

Blizzard Now Isaac Forty-One Switzerland

[Image: 41-2.png?ex=65d9e0d0&is=65c76bd0&hm=ada7...1aae5535a&]

real nice +1

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

06-07-2019, 10:21 AMPenKnight Wrote:  Cheers  No last name for Zarley... eventually everyone will just call him Z  Cheers

Sorry dude! Seems like people either forget you or don't write your name completely  Sick

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

06-07-2019, 12:24 PMKatth Wrote:
06-07-2019, 10:21 AMPenKnight Wrote:  Cheers  No last name for Zarley... eventually everyone will just call him Z  Cheers

Sorry dude! Seems like people either forget you or don't write your name completely  Sick

LOL No Worries!

They gonna get blindsided as I run them all into the boards for the next 15 seasons!!

This is amazing. You've just solidified yourself as the official Calgary stats guy! I'll have some work for you Wink

Cheers

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2019, 03:09 PM by Rublic.)

Stats stats stats
Stats stats stats
Stats stats stats
Stats stats stats
Stats stats stats
EVERYBODY!!!!

Dragonite

S52 "A" Alternate Captain of the Calgary Dragons
"GM" - Former Prince George Firebirds and Regina Force General Manager
"C" - Former Captain of the Halifax Raiders
S48 Brandon Holmes Trophy Recipient - Top Defensive Forward

FirebirdsScarecrowsraiders - TimberGrizzliesArmadaCanadaDragonsBlizzardStars - PlatoonSpecters
Davos Otasrob Player Page
Davos Otasrob Player Updates