Create Account

Siberia Sports: Interview with Mika Kandinsky on his Historic Season and the Draft

Code:
2x draft media, 2806 words

The St. Louis Scarecrows have won the Laurifer Trophy for the second time in two seasons and followed it up with another disappointing playoff run where they were eliminated in the second round.  Siberia Sports was able to catch up with Mika Kandinsky in the offseason to talk about his past season with the Crows and also the draft coming up for the next season.

SS: Hi Mika, thanks again so much for sitting down with us.  You had a fantastic season with the Scarecrows this year.  You came into your second season ready to go and you had a much different role in your second season.  What did this season mean to you?

MK:  Thank you for having me once again!  This season was very bitter sweet for me. On a personal level, I had a great year.  I scored 59 points which is the second most in a season by a Scarecrow.  I'm only behind Muller.  He had a really incredible year and I was so happy to be his center.  I wouldn't have had the season I had if it weren't for him.  But yeah, I had a great year and everything but it obviously did not end the way that I wanted it to end.  So, for me, it's more important to win a championship than to have the personal accolades.  Winning the regular season was a lot of fun and everything, but I wanted to win a cup and I know the boys in the locker room had their heart set on only doing that.  So yeah, it was bitter sweet for me, but it was definitely and enjoyable ride all season long.

SS:  Can you tell us what it meant to you to have an expanded role on the team?

MK: Well, this year I was made an alternate captain and that meant a lot to me.  It was incredible to be a captain along with Muller and Odelein.  They are two great guys and lead by example and I just try to fit in with them and be positive and help all the guys on and off the ice as much as I'm able to.  You know me, I like to train really hard so I like to lead by example.  I'll often brag about all the tpe I'm earning to hopefully motivate the other guys in the room to train hard too.  The culture there is pretty good like that, but I think the captains definitely set that tone in the room and I like that a lot about our team.  Then after being named alternate captain, I was put on the top line with Muller and Fleming.  It felt really good to take that big step forward, playing on the 4th line in my first season to the top line in my second season.  I was ready and I really wanted to show the team and the league what I had in me.  I think I had a little chip on my shoulder as well because I wanted to get picked first overall in the draft and that obviously didn't happen.  So I really wanted to light the league up this year.  Our line was amazing and I was so happy and lucky to be with those guys playing every night.  I was ready for the bigger role and I was happy to take that responsibility on.

SS:  Thanks for that answer, I think that's inspiring for all the younger kids in the game today.  Speaking of younger kids, how are you feeling about the draft this season? 

MK: I'm really excited for the draft.  I think the Scarecrows always do such a good job in the draft, I mean they did pick me after all Wink.  Yeah, I'm excited no matter who we pick for them to come in and we can give them the lay of the land.  I like being there to help with training and just navigating the way around the league.  I know when I came in I had so many questions so it's nice that I'm in a position to help people out now and I have that experience.  I'm really not sure what the GMs are going to do in this draft. I'm not too privy on that information and I don't pay that much attention to be honest. I heard we have the 6th overall pick, so that will be really nice for us.  I think no matter who we pick it's going to be great for the team. I know we are losing Fleming and Sorokin, so there are a few immediate needs I guess.  I think we'll draft some kids that can have an impact right away and let some of the more experienced guys move up the lineup a little bit to fill some holes there left by Fleming leaving.

SS:  Is there anyone in this draft that you want St. Louis to pick?  Are there any players you like in particular?

MK:  I really don't pay enough attention to that sort of thing to be honest with you.  I'm not too familiar with all of the players coming into the league.  It seems to me like it's a lot of newcomers to the league which is great to see.  I was a newcomer when I was drafted so I obviously feel pretty positive that these guys can come into the league and start impacting their teams. Obviously not everyone will do that, but I have faith in our GMs that they can pick some guys that will stick around and be great players for our team.  I did like the name Dick Trickle of one of the defensive prospects coming in.  I wouldn't mind if we picked that guy because he sounds like he'd be a fun or interesting kind of guy.

SS:  In your opinion, what type of player do you think St. Louis needs right now?

MK:  I think we can always use more talent.  I think if we picked up another great goal scorer that would help the team in the future when Muller eventually gets called up. I think he'll go next year so it'd be nice to have a young guy who can come up to play on my wing in my last seasons and score a lot of points with me like Muller did this year.  I think that would be pretty important.  I think even if it's one of the guys already on the team that steps into that role and the draftee can be a depth guy, that would be great too.  You can never have too much depth.  I think we should continue to draft guys that can play two way hockey. It was really nice seeing our possession numbers were really good and we tended to dominate at 5v5 hockey.  Those are the types of guys I personally would like to see keep getting drafted.

SS:  What is your advice for any of the new draftees that might be picked by St. Louis in the upcoming draft?

MK:  I think the best piece of advice would be to really enjoy the draft and then come into the locker room really ready to make some new friends and then go to work.  My favorite thing about when I was drafted was when I was introduced to the locker room and all of the guys were so great.  I'll never forget how welcoming and excited the Crows were when my class got to the team.  I want to pass that feeling on to the newer guys coming in.  Now that I'm more of a leadership role in the room, I'll be setting that tone even more.  So I'd say enjoy the draft and if you get selected by St. Louis to not worry about anything and that you are going to a great organization that will take care of you and you'll belong from day one.  I'd also give them the advice that they should go as hard as they can into training and taking on the league.  I think putting my all into my game has been really rewarding and i would encourage all the newcomers to really embrace the league and do everything they can to help their team win.  If you set up that type of culture early on with the new players, your team tends to be able to compete year in and year out.  I think that's one of the things the Crows have done such a good job at doing.

SS: Circling back to your season a little bit, when you were drafted did you see yourself coming in to your second season and being second in the entire league in points?

MK:  I have to say I was surprising even myself out there this season.  I have high expectations for myself, but this season was beyond what I imagined.  I was super excited to be on the top line this season and I was ready for the task of leading this team on the ice.  I began the season a little slow and that was really frustrating for me.  Things weren't clicking the way I thought they would be and our top line started off a little slow. I think my first goal was a short hander, so it was just a little strange out there.  Then at some point we started to really get going and it just took off from there.  Before I knew it my teammates were telling me I was on all the leader boards and at the top of the league in points.  That was really wild. I was just happy we were winning games and went on another long win streak this season.  I had my first four point game and also my first hat trick this season so that felt really good.  I also improved my faceoff percentage and got it up 50% which was a big deal for me.  All of that being said, I never thought that this would happen in my second season after being drafted.  I stepped into the league and didn't know much about it and now I'm a top point scorer in just one short season.  It was such a big jump for me that I am a little surprised.  It just shows you what you can do if you really work on your game every day.  If you put in the work you will get the results. That was what I was trying to say about the rookies being drafted this week.  They need to put in their all to their game and they will have huge impacts on their team.

SS:  We here are wondering if St. Louis would trade some picks and try to bring in a veteran to help you guys really push for a cup next season in what is likely to be Muller's last season with the Scarecrows.  What do you think about that strategy?

MK:  I don't think we need to bring in anyone by trading picks.  I think we all feel in our locker room that we can win the cup now with the team we have.  We have a great group and I just can't see us trading away picks that would get us a rental type of player.  The philosophy in St Louis has really been to build through the draft and a bit in free agency.  They aren't the type of organization that trades the future for the present.  They expect their draft picks to come in and get the job done and I've only seen that happen as I've been here.  So I expect them to make strong picks and have those picks come in and be impact players even during their rookie years.  It's the best way to build a team in my opinion.  You get to raise these players up through your system and imbue in them a sense of what it is to be a Scarecrow.  The system of the team works from the bottom up and you get this real sense of pride that the team is built to win through the hard work of the rookies coming in and progressing as the season goes along.  I think there are guys that were drafted last season that will take big steps forward this season.  That is just a testament to the great drafting that is going on in St. Louis.  The fact that we can just keep moving guys up as they improve and then bringing in rookies from the draft to supplement the team is pretty great.  So, I guess that is the long winded way of telling you that I don't think we are going to trade picks for a veteran player.  We are pretty happy with the locker room and the way the team is built and functions right now.  We are all excited for the next season and we are always excited to bring in the newly drafted players and get them on board with everything regarding the team and competition.

SS:  Do you really think you'll be able to have someone come up from this year's draft and replace Muller in a couple seasons on your wing?

MK:  Look, you don't replace a guy like Muller. He's got it all.  He's a scoring machine, a two way guy, and he is highly skilled.  Not to mention he's a natural leader on and off the ice.  It'd be foolish to think we could simply replace him.  But also, I believe that we will be able to find someone who can fill a role on the top line. I think they will be their own player, not a clone of Muller or something like that.  But yes, I think there is a strong chance for this organization to bring in a kid this year that will eventually slot into the top line by the time Muller gets called up.  I believe in the system we have and the GMs to bring in someone who really wants to be there and is a self starter who wants it really bad to eventually play on the top line.  I don't think that's crazy.  So I don't think we can replace Muller, but I do think we can find a star to be on the wing in the future.  I think the rest of the team will all step up to take on the roles that he is leaving open.  The team will work together just like we did this year after losing so many great players and leaders on the team.  

SS:  How was that losing so many veteran guys at once?

MK:  It was hard.  I'm not going to lie, we had our work cut out for us.  We lost a lot of good players this past season.  No one saw us being as strong as we were because so many guys left.  But we all stepped up and we collectively decided that it was our team now and we needed to uphold a legacy of success.  We banded together and went to work because that's what Crows do.  So, it really sucked to lose that many guys all at once and we are lucky that they drop by the locker room and check in.  A lot of the guys still follow the team and come in to congratulate us when we are doing well.  It's really nice to still have that kind of support from our past players.  I was really lucky to play with guys like Boomhover, Fox, and Serpe.  Their leadership and example set the stage for us to come in the next season and perform well without them.  I'm hoping I can do something similar and leave a similar impression on the younger guys and our future draftees before I'm called up to the SHL someday.

SS:  That's really great.  We wish you the best of luck and the best of luck to St. Louis in the upcoming draft.  We hope you get a group that is as excited and passionate about the game as your are, Mika.  Thanks again for sitting down with us and chatting.

MK:  Thanks for having me, I'm always down to talk with you guys when I get the chance.

SS: We are going to have to come back and talk about your international play!

MK:  Sounds good to me.  I'm hoping to have two great tournaments this year.

Mika Kandinsky Stars 

[Image: mika_kandinsky.gif]

The Muller-Mika Connection is a real thing. Nice write-up once again!

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, Ragnarr, and sulo for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

07-29-2019, 06:13 PMesilverm Wrote: The Muller-Mika Connection is a real thing. Nice write-up once again!

Thanks for reading buddy!  The connection going to get us a cup!

Mika Kandinsky Stars 

[Image: mika_kandinsky.gif]