Create Account

Challenge Cup Roster: Who Gets in?
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2019, 12:24 PM by ArGarBarGar.)

So I had a conversation with another member on the site, asking me to add a few players to a championship team's roster. I countered with my mindset that if said players aren't listed on any lines and/or play sub-1 minute during the playoffs or something, then they really shouldn't count or be recognized for being a part of that roster, because in the end they really weren't.

However since this isn't the first time this has been brought up, I am curious to see what others think about this. When posting the Championship team's roster in a given season, what do you all think is the best course of action? Should I include everyone who was listed on the roster, regardless of games played or minutes? Should I limit it to players who played a certain number of games, regardless of minutes? Should it be based on total minutes played?

Curious to see what people think about it.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

I think allowing this to continue should happen, unless we remove it from people who were given "free cups" for the last 48 seasons. Otherwise it's not super fair for everyone

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]

Put me on s45 blizzard cup I was I N S T R U M E N T A L

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

My 0:00 minutes were crucial to our success this season.

slash should have been on the s45 blizz roster. he went undefeated as the backup in the regular season and our IFA backup didnt even play in the playoffs or in the reg. slash was just as much a part of that team as anyone else and its really dumb that he wasnt considered a part of that roster

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

08-01-2019, 12:57 PMcpetrella Wrote: slash should have been on the s45 blizz roster. he went undefeated as the backup in the regular season and our IFA backup didnt even play in the playoffs or in the reg. slash was just as much a part of that team as anyone else and its really dumb that he wasnt considered a part of that roster

I mean if you notice something specific that may be amiss you have the ability to PM someone about it...

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

IMO, if you are put on a line by your coach then you deserve the cup. so those bench riding players that are roster fill shouldn't get the cup. They're only on the roster as a filler piece.

Shout out to ml002, schultzy, slashacm, tedward!
[Image: blastmeaway.gif]

[Image: f4IDm9I.jpg] I [Image: specterspp.png] I [Image: czechup.png] I [Image: gs89eGV.png] I [Image: f4IDm9I.jpg]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

09-05-2018, 10:04 PMBeaver Wrote: Wow look what the PT affiliation has done to our pristine league.
12-19-2018, 12:31 AMBeaver Wrote: I personally blame the PT affiliation for handing out massive amounts of free TPE to all these players, inflating the TPE they're at when they get called up.
[Image: Capture21.PNG?width=400&height=90]

counter point: Jeremy Lin is an NBA Champion

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

absolutely they should count. they were a part of the season that got them to where they were.

#giveFordyHisCup

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

I'm a rookie and still relatively new to this so take that for what it is worth.

I think what you are asking is for an objective measurement that validates being a member of the team vice just being on a roster or not contributing. I think you are on to something with identifying minutes or games played. It kind of reminds me of Rudy, where he has to dress and play at least one play to have been considered a part of the team and I think something similar should definitely be considered as an addition to the SHL Rulebook.

Personally, I'd stay away from subjectively trying to identify contribution. If they are on the roster and they played minutes during the season then they were a part of the team and should be recognized as such. Even if they didn't contribute greatly (subjective) they still contributed (objective). I would argue that as long as they are on the roster and played 1 minute during the season they should be recognized.

WolfpackBlizzardRaptors  raiders Switzerland  FINN RHYS  Switzerland raiders Raptors Blizzard Wolfpack

[Image: hockey__27674.1518661372.1000.1200.jpg?c=2]

[Image: iOjAcRd.gif]

My viewpoint as a relative newcomer to the SHL;

What, to me, makes a winning team (a championship winning team, if you will) is the ability to keep great players around. To have them not go inactive, and to have them wanting and willing to stay in the same franchise for you to get that roster that is finally good enough to get the job done.

So what gets people to stick around, and enjoy themselves? A great LR. And who's apart of that LR? Everyone. The guy who averaged 20+ minutes a game, and the guy who played 0 minutes. Who's to say which one of these contributed to the LR the most to actually achieve this winning roster?

I don't see why one would omit anyone in the recognition of that accomplishment.

[Image: vhY18i8.png] [Image: nBgNUTY.png]

[Image: f7Sn74Q.png]
[Image: G7pWGHR.png]

08-01-2019, 01:12 PMTnlAstatine Wrote: counter point: Jeremy Lin is an NBA Champion

Counter counter point: ligma

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

08-01-2019, 01:16 PM.bojo Wrote: absolutely they should count. they were a part of the season that got them to where they were.

#giveFordyHisCup

I agree. Players that were part of instrumental trades to a team winning a cup should get on the roster.

[Image: 58170_v.gif]
[Image: 58170_s.gif]
Thanks to @Carpy48 , @sköldpaddor, @Weretarantula, @Bruins10  and @Wasty  for sigs
Extra special thanks to @Julio Tokolosh for the sick gif one

If they are on the roster they deserve the cup. Simple.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

08-01-2019, 01:12 PMTnlAstatine Wrote: counter point: Jeremy Lin is an NBA Champion

counter counter point: Luffy has a challenge cup listed in his profile when he hasn't played a minute in the SHL so doesn't anyone in the org get it or water we doin here b

[Image: 66818_s.gif]