Simulation Hockey League
S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book (/showthread.php?tid=99253)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - jcfbey01 - 09-01-2019

Code:
Which record would you say will be the hardest to break? Explain yourself!

I would say that the hardest record to break will be the record held by Esa Anrikkanen of most games played over a career. Esa holds the record with 1458 games played over his 29 season career. The next closest is Joe McKeil with 210 less games played than Esa. My reasoning for saying that this will be the hardest to break is because of the insane longevity of Esa. Sure, anyone can last that long career wise, but to play that many games you will be to have a ton of TPE before regression and be able to fight off regression with consistency so that teams will still play you and have you on the roster. There's also the fact that you can't get bored with the player. 29 seasons is a long time in real life, so you have to be truly dedicated to keep a player that long and truly like the player. That doesn't even take into account the SMJHL seasons too. This is why I believe it will be the hardest record to break.

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - Waters - 09-01-2019

The Tomen Special: What would you consider to be the most underrated SHL record in the current era? Explain yourself.
top points output since S34: 78, Jason Visser T-1st

I believe Jason Visser's 78 points in s41 was the greatest single season output by any player ever. In 23 minutes a game, less than York's 25, Nova's 26 or VLAD's 29 (!), Visser managed nearly the same output as all 3 of these players. He carried his team so hard the next highest scoring player in the league was his linemate, Corey Bearss, who had 3 other ppg seasons in his entire career. Visser, on the other hand, has 9, with many near misses. I think you could make the argument Visser is the most underrated player of all time, and i'd say his scoring output should be viewed more importantly than it is.

Which existing record (e.g., most goals, most wins, most hits, etc.) do you think will be broken by a currently active player? Explain yourself?

I'm gonna talk about Visser again. I think he is going to end up being regarded as the most prolific scorer of all time when his career finally winds down, but at his current output of nearly a point per game in his 18th season, he is at 895 points, requiring 4 more seasons of point per game production to pass Esa Anrikkanen. Unlike Anrikkanen, however, who took nearly 29 seasons to produce this feat, Visser could do it by his 21st, demolishing players with similar career lengths in terms of production.

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - PeanutButter - 09-01-2019

I think a record that has a good chance of being broken is the record for most powerplay goals. Right now Esa Anrikkanen has the record with 114, but he has three players within 15 goals of his record (all are retired, though). With it seeming like a lot of players have a very high number of powerplay goals, any winger who gets a lot of time on the powerplay (and if the powerplay really clicks) could get close to and break this record. Can Banananak do it? I am not sure about that, since I haven't even played a game in the SHL, but you never know. Goal scoring is kind of my deal. Also the one thing that is clear with this record, is each of the players who have reached 100 powerplay goals has played a lot of minutes, so it seems the only way to get to that point is just play a lot. Crazy theory, I know.

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - Bonk - 09-01-2019

[code] Which record would you say will be the hardest to break? Explain yourself! code]

So I was really looking forward to writing about some scrub player that had the highest career point per 20 minutes by playing for 18 minutes for the their career but somehow ended up with two points in the those 18 minutes thus crushing every else. Nevertheless, unfortunately the Bojo Box does not hove points per 20 minutes. Boo hiss. Therefore, I guess I will go with the insane record held by Max Weber. So right now, I hoping no one else has written about this and I have your attention. Max Weber hold in insane record compared to the rest of league in one playoff stat and that playoff stat is shot blocks. Max Weber has a career playoff total 265 shot blocks. The player in second in career playoff shot blocks is Ludwig Koch Schroder with 198. So currently, Max Weber has 67 shot block lead over the player in second place. Just have 67-career playoff shot blocks would place you 73rd in SHL history. Grant Weber has played the second most games in playoff history, which certainly is a factor in this number, but this record should not be dismiss because of that. This number is result of a perfect storm of being a solid defensemen and playing on solid playoff competitor for most of your career. That is why I think the breaking of the record of career playoff shot blocks is going to be the hardest to break.
Words ~258

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - Sean - 09-01-2019

I believe that no one will ever break Elias Armia's 88 point season. No one has broken 80 points since S11 (the year Armia set the record). There are a couple of reasons why I don't think this record will be broken. The level of competition has raised a lot since S11. There aren't as many low-level players to prey upon and put up big points. The league has grown a lot and there's a lot more competition. There is now a maximum amount of playing time that players can get. We saw people like VLAD McZehrl put up huge numbers, but they did so while playing huge minutes. That's no longer possible. Finally, the style of play has changed. Armia put up 88 points while playing less minutes than many star players today. The game has simply changed to a play-style that allows less goals. Our top point producing player put up 26 less points than the all-time high. It's just extremely unlikely someone can break out and get the numbers that Armia had nearly 40 seasons ago.

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - DilIsPickle - 09-01-2019

Code:
What would you consider to be the most underrated SHL record in the current era? Explain yourself.
I think the most underrated record in the SHL is probably Alonzo Garbonzo's career shots blocked record. He has over 400 more than the next closest person on the list which basically puts him in a league of his own, and yet it's never brought up. Shot blocking is such an important part of defense; if you stop the puck from getting to the goal, then it can't get past the goalie. And yet everyone either just talks about points or if they focus on defense they talk about hits, seasons played, or minutes. All of those things are important, but Garbonzo deserves more recognition for being a great blueliner and being willing to put his body on the line to keep the puck out of the net. He did so many other things well, beyond just shot blocking he is just such an underrated player overall and he's a great example for all the young defensemen.

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - micool132 - 09-01-2019

I think the hit record by Taylor McDavid is unreachable. He played during an era where hockey was truly brutal and where hits were not as punished as today so he could throw his body and be sure it would be a good play and not get penalised like today. If you look at active players hits per season, you can see a tendency for hits to lower slowly over the seasons. I think if this record were to be beaten, it would have to have been by a player who started seasons ago, I think newer players won't even get close to top 5 in hits no matter how hard they try. The show was balanced in order to favorise offensive play and as such players focused on offensive playstyles to diffenreciate themselves. This is also why I think offensive records such as total passes or goals should be touched by the new generations of players as the league focused on such stats.

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - Ason94 - 09-01-2019

The record book, the impossible achievement, that never will be broken. When you are new to the SHL everyone wants to be the best, the greatest that the league has ever seen, the star of the super stars. There are many ways that can make you a super star, you can score goals, be the playmaker, outstanding two-way game, the greatest defender or the most clutch goalie. And ofcourse there are many more ways to be a star then the ines I just mentioned. But to be the most Elite among the Elites, Tpe is the way to shine. At the top of the Tpe leader board sits, in the Iron Thone, Jason Visser at 2285 tpe. An insane amount of effort has been put in to this record and I'm sertain no one will ever brake it, with changes around the league and faster offseasons it is close to impossible to ever reach these huge numbers. You should aim for it if you want to be the greatest, but there is no way you ever get there.

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - JaytheGreat - 09-01-2019

The hardest record to break in my opinion is Alonzo Garbanzo's all time assist record of 765. First of all he played 24 seasons and only 3 of those seasons he had less then 20 assists, while having 5 seasons with over 40 assists. Considering only 2 players reached 40 assists this year that's a huge accomplishment. Garbanzo had an average of 31.8 assists per season which on the outside seems doable until you factor in that he played for 24 seasons. The closest active player is Jason Visser who prior to the season had 499 assists and has played 17 seasons and he's still 266 assists off the record. Say Visser plays another 7 seasons in the SHL he would have to average 38 assists over those last 7 seasons just to tie the record, and considering Visser has only gone to 38 assists or over twice in his career, I think it's safe to say that the record will be in Garbanzo's hands for quite a while.

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - gaby - 09-01-2019

Which record would you say will be the hardest to break

Unless there is some major changes in the future in players build, we will never see someone break the most PIMS record in a season. It has been obtained by Danny Foster in s35 and no one has come close since. People seems to forget Foster wasn’t just a goon, he was also a pretty useful d-man. In today's game, GM's are afraid of the enforcer build. Most SMJHL GMs would rather have an inactive 350 sniper build than an active membre trying out the enforcer build. It's a shame in a league seen as a development one. People complains everyone ends up with pretty much the same builds once max out but people wanting to try a different build like the enforcer are force to retiré as no GMs want them. The league will keep on having in majority playmaker and sniper builds making this record forever unbroken in my opinion. No one tried to follow Foster footsteps since he retired almost 10 seasons ago, I dont expect this to change.

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - JSS - 09-01-2019

Alright well, there's an existing record that I think has the chance of being broken by not only a current active player, but by my current active player. Yes, Flacko Lagerfield. Now, what record is this you might be asking? Well, it's the franchise scoring leader for the Tampa Bay Barracuda. Now if we're talking about just Tampa Bay, Flacko is the current leader as the team has only been around for 4 seasons however if we're talking about the whole franchise which started back in S1, Lagerfield is just hitting the top 20 as we speak. As of right now, Lagerfield is sitting at #24 on the list with 205 points in 4 seasons. The leader has 509 points in 13 seasons. At Flacko's current pace, he should beat the record in about 6 more seasons. 5 if you count S49 which just ended. Very surprising that a franchise since S1 doesn't have much history to it unlike a team like Calgary.

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - notorioustig - 09-01-2019

I think one of the most impressive records in the SHL history books is Alonzo Garbanzo's incredible record of 765 assists in his career. Not only is this a ridiculous number for any player, but doing it as a defenseman is even more impressive. However one of the reasons I consider this to be one of the most impressive records in league history is the sheer amount of distance he put between himself and the next best player down the list: Joe McKiel scored an excellent 582 assists in his own career. This means that Garbanzo scored an astonishing 183 more assists than the next best assist generator of all time (an incredible 31% more). The sheer volume of assists requires that a player plays for a very long time to amass a large number of games played but also that they survive regression and remain a consistent offensive threat even as they age. This is very difficult, and Garbanzo's assist record truly shows how incredible his career was

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - khabib - 09-01-2019

[Image: OZd9cN3.png]

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - Flowseidon - 09-01-2019

I think the record that we will struggle to ever see broken is the most hits in a season record set by Danny Foster. The guy is an absolute animal on the ice unlike none we've ever seen before, nor do I think we will ever see it again. Danny hits everything that moves and that put him to an absolutely insane 300 hits in a season which is far and above the next highest mark on the leaderboard (also set by Danny Foster). Nobody has ever played the game like him before and being on his infamous hit list struck fear into the hearts of opposing players knowing that Danny would be gunning for them.

6 hits a game, averaged out through the system, many of them crushing the opponents with hits they'll remember for a lifetime, or with black moments surrounding them. He is one of the most prolific hitters ever in the game, and ran up the numbers during his career

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - Vandy - 09-01-2019

I think the most games played record would be tough to beat even with all of the leg ups the League gives to the players. For instance, IRL you've got Andrew Cogliano who never missed a game (Damn suspension) even with injury issues. The SHL has them turned off and durability is high. So right there, Michael McFadden had a considerable leg up without even creating a player yet. So if injuries are out, what did he have that other star players didn't? I would wager consistency. McFadden was a consistent asset for his team over 19 seasons, not missing more than a dozen games over that time and still contributed until the end of his career. I saw one poster mention that he couldn't find a goaltender who had played a similar amount, I would wager because Goalies fall off earlier and retire faster once newer and more talented goalies come up from the J is why we haven't had an ironman Goalie, but the great thing is there is always next season when one might come along.