Simulation Hockey League
S62 PT#5: Champion??? - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: S62 PT#5: Champion??? (/showthread.php?tid=120629)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: S62 PT#5: Champion??? - By-Tor - 12-07-2021

Prompt 2:

The Scarecrows are currently in against Kelowna, down 2 games to zero. Let's use our big brains and say we 'crows pick up the pace and win the next four straight. We would then face Vancouver, the first place team. There would not be a tougher task, seeing that they lost as many games as we won. In that series, though, Danny Mercia decides to come alive and score two per game. We battle back and forth with the Whalers an find ourselves in game 7 OT - hardly a place the top team would think to be against the lowly Scarecrows. In the first minute of that OT game, Marcel Beck decides to put it in off Sam Stone's face! Stitches, but who cares!? Is the toughest test behind us? We then sweep Anchorage who were asleep the whole series to find ourselves in the finals against Carolina. It turns out to be a great seven game series, but in the end, Merica scores that final goal to deliver us to the promised land! The lowest seed in the playoffs just won the Four Star Cup! St. Louis goes crazy. Merica wins MVP and the vets finally get the cup they have always wanted.

RE: S62 PT#5: Champion??? - Gifter of Bikes - 12-07-2021

Prompt 2

The Calgary Dragons are your season 62 champions! Their path to victory was paved with the heartbreak of every single goddamn team in the league, and the Dragons are fine with that. Texas? Pfft. Didn't stand a chance. Edmonton? They got snowed in and couldn't even get to the rink. 4 game sweep by forfeit. The finals against Chicago were, admittedly, a nail biter, but the Dragons came up big in a game 7 triple overtime thriller when defensive defenseman Eero Makela pulled the SHL equivalent of Bashin' Bill Barilko and snuck up ice for the winning goal. Fans in Chicago rioted, like they do, and fans in Calgary watching on the big screen at the Big Parm celebrated will a full on orgy in the stands. I'm told that the people from Guiness World Records are going to come by and count the wet spots to try to get an accurate number or participants.

That was gross. I'm sorry.

Calgary wins. Suck it.

RE: S62 PT#5: Champion??? - Spartan - 12-07-2021

Prompt 2

I've basically used only prompt 2's this season not because I'm not creative, but rather because I like having a bit of structure and a clear vision of what to talk about. Maybe the creativity aspect lacks a bit because I'm not familiar with other teams, so I suppose this will be a bit of a difficult one as well. Edmonton has made the playoffs, which is very exciting, but there are clear tiers for playoff favorites in each conference, and the home teams in each bracket are strongly favored to win their respective series.

If Edmonton was to have a perfect playoff bracket, I suppose it would be one against all non-playoff teams. We're in the first round against Chicago right now, which is probably the most difficult opponent to face in the first round. We also sort of limped into the playoffs, getting a lot younger from last offseason to this season, and the play has suffered a little bit as we look to develop over time. If we were to play all non-playoff teams in the playoffs, I think that would give us the best chance to make a deep playoff run instead of our current trajectory that looks to knock us out in the first round, barring some insane miracle that would stun the entire SHL community.

RE: S62 PT#5: Champion??? - takethehorizon - 12-07-2021

Prompt 2

The Texas Renegades are ready for the S62 Playoffs to begin. They are looking forward to a competitive path to the cup with Minnesota, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco and more in their way in the Western Conference. Texas is squared against the Minnie Monarchs in Round 1. The Monarchs finished with a record of 31-34-1 and 63 points led by centreman Phineas Gold who finished the season with 19 goals and 64 points. Cal Labovitch was Minnesota's top goal scorer finishing with a team best, 27. Round 2, should Texas advance will be against either Edmonton or Chicago. The Syndicate look to be the favorite having finished the regular season with the most points, 117. Chicago is led by Ryuuji Minamino who finished the season with a league best, 60 goals and 106 points! Texas goaltender Kavanagh will have his hands full with this one. Looking forward for entertaining Western Conference playoff action. Of course they'll be greeted by a top contender in the East for the Cup match which is looking like either Buffalo, Baltimore or Hamilton.

Word Count: 179

RE: S62 PT#5: Champion??? - Z-Whiz - 12-07-2021

It's a tough choice trying to decide if I want to be realistic and have the superstars kick my ass, or if I want to go with the Hollywood script and myself (a scrub) be apart of a miraculous upset. What do I choose!? Stay tuned for the answer shortly. Going in to this match-up it's quite a daunting task to be faced with a first line of Minamino, Harrington, and Shepard. As a defender, I am genuinely worried about how embarrassed I'm going to get. Luckily, I have a superstar defensive partner in Angus McPipe. Together, we make Duck Pipe and nothing can get past that. He and I cranked our aggression to 1000 in FHM and we were flying across the rink, checking everyone and their mom. It was a defensive performance of a lifetime. McPipe and I could hardly stand after the game due to the energy and effort we put in on the defensive side. Our offense was able to sneak in one goal off a lucky deflection and we were able to lock down the Superstars with an incredible 1-0 victory.

RE: S62 PT#5: Champion??? - Ohtaay - 12-07-2021

Prompt 2:

Well winning it all is definitely something we want to do in Texas, however with the current playoff bracket you run into similar scenarios season after season. With the way we have been playing, as well as the success from Chicago the playoffs have turned into the West being decided in the second round. The second round is where we run into chicago, who have thought. The top two teams in the West facing each other in the second round. If we win, then we have a good chance of going to the finals, if Chicago wins they have a good chance of going to the finals. After that, if we did beat Chicago we would either run into Hamilton or Buffalo from the east, as they usually seem to be the final boss. However, there may be some change up this season. Baltimore once again had another good season and they are looking to take down the giants. A Texas Baltimore final would be pretty cool in my books.

170 words.

RE: S62 PT#5: Champion??? - charlieconway - 12-07-2021

Quote:Written Task: Yeah the prompt 2s this season were boring as fuck, but that's how it goes when you try to be vanilla for everyone. But lets use our imagination here. If you are in the SHL playoffs/SMJHL playoffs, you want to win it all probably. So, do just that. Describe a playoff tree that has you winning all rounds en route to the cup. What opponents did you beat along the way? In how many games? Who was MVP and how did you do? If you aren't on a playoff team right now.... fuck it. Just put your team in for another team. Who cares? (150+words)

The first round is the Toronto North Stars against the Buffalo Stampede. We win because we manage to fluke out a win in every single game after a file worker makes a mistake and sets all of Elizabeth Doyle's attributes to 1 and doesn't realize it until the round is over. HO rules not to play it again and the SHL announcements/thunderdome subforums go up in flames.

Second round, Toronto triumphs over the Steelhawks. Each game is won in OT, with my player Adam Barron heroically scoring the winning goal each time.

Third round, the North Stars beat the Platoon after their star forward Karl Krashwagen is caught using steroids and is suspended for the duration of the playoffs. It still takes 7 games, but we make it through.

The finals sees Toronto face off against Chicago, in a match that seems straight out of the late-S50s Great Lakes division. My player ends each game with a 100 game rating, and finally takes home the Anton Razhov award for playoff MVP after coming close to winning it in S59. I take the opportunity to retire while on top and sail off into the sunset, satisfied with my one and only Challenge Cup win.

RE: S62 PT#5: Champion??? - steveoiscool - 12-07-2021

Prompt 2: Here in Edmonton we have our work cut out for us. After kinda sandbagging the season (hey, we have a ton of rookies. Cut us some slack.), we limped into the playoffs but our first round opponent is a scary looking Chicago team. Honestly though, we've just been accumulating mass all season. Now it's time to reap the rewards of bulking up, and we'll start by sweeping Chicago. After that? Fuck it, we'll take down Texas too. For the conference finals, we'll swing by our old rival (emphasis on OLD), the Calgary Dragons. Everyone can catch these hands, we've been gooning all season and we can't lose if the other team can't walk. As far as the finals go, it has to be a coinflip between Buffalo or Hamilton in my eyes (whoa, deja vu), and at this point it doesn't even matter. We're gonna make the forums blue for the next 10 seasons.

RE: S62 PT#5: Champion??? - marco999 - 12-07-2021

I've decided to write about Prompt #2. Ok, this is highly improbable, but how crazy would that be: The Edmonton Blizzard winning the Challenge Cup. You know what they say about parity and so forth, but let's throw that out of the window for now. Here me out. Edmonton is up against Chicago in the first round. In all likelihood, we'll get swept, but here's the thing... we'll reverse sweep Chicago, en route for an upset win against the #1 seed. Highly improbable you say ? Well, it gets even crazier from there. Texas would most likely be our next opponents and the Blizzard are going into this series trying to avenge their loss in the Conference Finals last season and they sweep the Renegades. How cool would it be to be up against the geriatric ward of the Western Conference in the western conference finals ? The young Blizzard would outskate and outwork the old Dragons to make their way to the Final where they'd face Buffalo. Most people would write us out, but we'd win the series in six at home, culminating an improbable run with a Cup win. The MVP would be the old Tony Pepperoni of course, enjoying another great playoff run. Kaapo would probably be its usual self, not really noticeable, but serviceable enough so he's not a liability.

RE: S62 PT#5: Champion??? - efischermann - 12-07-2021

Code:
PROMPT 2- If you don't understand the previous prompt or that one doesn't sound fun to write about, try this prompt.

Written Task: Yeah the prompt 2s this season were boring as fuck, but that's how it goes when you try to be vanilla for everyone. But lets use our imagination here. If you are in the SHL playoffs/SMJHL playoffs, you want to win it all probably. So, do just that. Describe a playoff tree that has you winning all rounds en route to the cup. What opponents did you beat along the way? In how many games? Who was MVP and how did you do? If you aren't on a playoff team right now.... fuck it. Just put your team in for another team. Who cares? (150+words)

Well, now in the third season of my career I have found that the easiest way to win a championship in the SMJHL is to have a bye in the first round. Third year and three first round byes makes it a very nice feeling, and also makes it one less team you have to go through. Back-to-back seasons we have been the top seed going into the playoffs, but I couldn’t be prouder of the team we have right now. We were supposed to take a dive this year. We lost almost our entire team and we still earned the top seed.

This is a resilient bunch and I would put us up against everyone, even with people doubting us. With the way FHM does ratings, the semi-finals are the bigger round for the top seed.

The quarterfinal matchup will be likely Quebec City, which should be a tough series, but very winnable. The big one will be Anchorage in the semi’s, but it is very possible to get through them. Then it will be on to a very familiar foe of Newfoundland. Then…we raise the championship trophy for the second consecutive trophy.

WHALE NAYSH!!!

Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers

196 words

RE: S62 PT#5: Champion??? - Rabidsponge21 - 12-07-2021

PBE PT

RE: S62 PT#5: Champion??? - Merica - 12-07-2021

Playoffs. Where mettle gets tested, and those who have test simmed a million times in order to figure out every advantage will inevitably win (looking at you Hamilton, tryin to break another sim engine are we?). But let’s table that, let’s pretend all things our equal for this hypothetical projection, and I may just do both of my teams since their both In the playoffs.

For Buffalo to win, it really doesn’t matter what the playoff bracket is. This team is stacked and year in, year out, they are near the top of the standings and vying for the Cup. All Buffalo need to do is continue what has worked. They have a stalwart in net with Doyle, and depth out the ass. Now if they truly want to win, they will have to call up Daniel Merica Jr, pull a Kucherov and bring him in as a last minute addition.

Why would this change things? Because Merica is essentially Tom Wilson. Send him out there to knock peoples teeth in and protect the stars. Easy dubs.

RE: S62 PT#5: Champion??? - StadiumGambler - 12-07-2021

https://forums.sim-football.com/showthread.php?tid=36431&pid=543790#pid543790 - ISFL affiliate claim

RE: S62 PT#5: Champion??? - Crazylemire - 12-07-2021

https://worldsimbasketball.jcink.net/index.php?showtopic=1177&view=findpost&p=11879

(WSBL AFFILIATE)

RE: S62 PT#5: Champion??? - hhh81 - 12-07-2021

The entirety of Team Grizzled Vets was chomping at the bit for a rematch and redemption against the Hall of Famers. To their shock, they would get another round with Team Superstars. Rested and angry, the vets take the ice against those who wish to take their mantle as lions of the league. Former rivals Ryuuji Minamino and Jimmy Wagner combine for the dangerous attack line of the Superstars, and the vets will need to play their best to keep with these younger, talented players. The vets have something the Superstars don’t; experience, and more Challenge Cups combined than the Superstars could dream of.

With Superstars getting the home ice advantage, assistant coach Gunnar Soderberg suggests sending out a grittier unit to start the game. The third forward line of Barry Batsbak, Nick Brain, and Andreas Kvalheim start off with the shutdown pair of Collin Gibbles and Matthias Seger against Team Superstars top unit (Minamino, Wagner, Kaarlo Kekkonen, Akira Ren and Adam Scianna). They set the pace, playing a tight, clean, defensive style that grinds down on the younger, faster youths. There are plenty of scoring chances both ways, highlighted by Bjorn Leppanen and Keith Lee sandwiching Tony Pepperoni in the neutral zone, where Steve Harrington slipped a breakaway pass to Mats Marner late in the 1st. Marner went top shelf to beat Harry Carpet, taking a 1-0 lead midway through the 1st. The Grizzled Vets answered back quickly off a Corey Kennedy one-timer into a Martijn Westbroek rebound.

The game continued in this manner, with both teams getting chances. The slower, lock down style the Grizzled Vets play begins to get to the Superstars, as Tom Fiddler takes a cheap tripping penalty, claiming “they are stealing my TPE!” on his way to the box. Rotticus Scott then slashed his teammate Michael Scarn, giving the Vets a 5-3. Aaron Wilson does Aaron Wilson things, feeding Corey Kennedy in the slot for a brutalizing one timer to pull his team ahead 3-2. Two shifts later, the 2nd PP unit holds tight pressure for 35 straight seconds, getting 4 shots on goal. Cassius Darrow—taking a rare shift in this tournament with the man advantage, shows out with a sneaky strong wrist shot toward the net. The ancient Tony Pepperoni grabs a rebound high off the goalie’s left pad, and slides a pass to Matt Kholin. Wide open, Kholin puts a blistering backhand shot behind Strom Chamberlain to extend their lead to 4-2.

Heading into the 3rd period down 2 goals, Team Superstars changes goalies, as Cillian Kavanagh takes the crease. If speed was the name of the game before, Team Superstars dials it up another gear, racing up and down the ice and trying to keep the vets off balance. Darrow, Gibbles, McScruf, and Seger see a lot of time blocking shots in their own end, trying to slow the onslaught. Darrow, in particular stands out—after playing a smaller role in previous games, through two periods he played over 11 minutes, with 2 shots on goal, 3 blocks, and a takeaway. In the third period, the old German blocks SEVEN shots in 6:32 TOI, including a pair of back-to-back slap shots from Keith Lee. The veteran fans in the crowd went wild as Darrow limped back to the bench after a whistle—blocks go unrecognized, but this vet team has three of the league’s best in Seger, McScruf, and Darrow (the only 3 players in league history to break 2000 career blocks in the SHL).

The Superstars tie it up off a slippery wraparound from Mitchell van der Heijden, and a beautiful snipe by fourth liner Michael Fitted. They carry pressure and control for a good portion of the 3rd period, but the vets still have tricks afoot. After a good stickcheck, Karlstrasse Scholz tips a pass to mid ice. Nick Brain gathers the puck, and protects from a hard back checking Ryan Shepard, before dropping it to Corey Kennedy, soaring up the ice. He drives deep, dekes, and drops the pass to his trailing man—Julio Tokolosh. He blasts a one timer at Kavanagh, who gets some of it. Kennedy waits on the doorstep and slams it in to put the veterans up 5-4 with 2:16 to go. The faces on the Superstars is crestfallen—they felt anointed, that it was their time. These old shits refuse to give up the spotlight here. Not even an extra attacker could beat Harry Carpet, and the Grizzled Vets take this championship.