Simulation Hockey League
S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book (/showthread.php?tid=99253)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - Reynolds - 08-28-2019

The most underrated season in the modern era is Jakub Aittokallio's Season 18 campaign. It was a season where he put up an astonishing 5 shutouts in an era where shutouts were rare. He had 31 wins to only 8 losses and allowed his team to be in the thick of things the entire season long. I think it's a season he is proud of but also a season ni which his teammates knew they could rely on him at any chance he got.

I think Willie Weber's record for power play goals could be the record most likely to fall. At 16, it might seem like a lot but it seems more players recently have come close to that record than any other stat in the history books. Weber I recall was a defensemen so most of his goals were scored from the backend. Powerplay goals though mean that a team has to draw a lot of penalties.

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - jRuutu - 08-28-2019

The Tomen Special: What would you consider to be the most underrated SHL record in the current era? Explain yourself.
Danny Fosters 300 hits in S34 is a hell of a number, only 1 hit behind the all-time record, which also shows how special that season was. I think hitting never gets enough love and has a bit of negative image in sim leagues, but when you have someone throwing 300 hits in 50 games - 6 per game on average, that is insane. Foster bossed the blueline and made anyone who dared to come anywhere near his goal pay the price. (81)

Which record would you say will be the hardest to break? Explain yourself!

Elias Armia scored 88 points in S11, highest ever and that has to the hardest record to break. The quality level of teams these days is high, every team has proper stars and even the depth of every team is at an impressive level, there are no absolutely dog shite teams that could maybe help some players collect a nice number of points. If you play in a stacked team - the players you play with will eat up points from you and if you play in a weaker team where you are the number one star - not going to see the puck often enough. You simply just don´t have the opportunity to score at the level it would require. (121)

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - Mavfatha - 08-28-2019

The record that I think could be broken by a current player is the career SB record. Garbanzo established a fairly large lead for himself but has retired with 1882 of them. Meanwhile, Ludwig Koch Schroder is still playing at a fairly high TPE total and is essentially in second place already including this season's results. It certainly won't be easy, as Ludwig would still need to play 6 or 7 more seasons at a high level to seriously challenge Garbanzo while fighting off regression. Still, I think he has a fighting chance.

Meanwhile, a record that nobody else has a fighting chance to break is the 470 PM5's from Taylor McDavid. This stat that basically measures how many fights you participate in is one that almost nobody active today really adds to their tally in, though props to Jack Tanner for giving it a shot. It would take an overhaul of the enforcer archetype for us to actually have someone that stays dedicated enough to the fight to consistently put up those kinds of numbers over a long stretch of seasons, and though Taylor's average for the stat wasn't exceptionally high compared to others close to him on the list, I don't see anyone approaching his consistency over such a long stretch of time.

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - Grapehead - 08-28-2019

The hardest record to break would be the record for most TPE. I remember when TPE was given out like candy, and seasons lasted for months, but nowadays we run a relatively tight ship with regard to those. Players don't have the opportunity to earn nearly as much TPE, and it's for two reasons: many TPE exploits and excesses were dealt with over the past 5-10 seasons, and seasons run shorter due to stricter adherence to scheduling. I personally like the fact that this record won't be touched, because I'm a big supporter of the causes I mentioned previously, and I wouldn't want to see the league start to unravel any of that. I suppose if the league's head office decided to loosen the TPE purse strings, so to speak, then someone might be able to chase this record, but I wouldn't bet any amount of money on that ever happening.

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - Otrebor13 - 08-28-2019

I think a record that is going to be incredibly hard to break is most shot blocks in a single season. As it currently stands, the record is held by Mattias Holmgren who had 128 blocked shots in Season 31. The next highest in a season was 118. Jack Tanner came close in Season 44 as he was one of the people holding that 118 Blocked Shot total, but he was still 10 away.

While Tanner came close, the reason I say I don’t think this will be broken is because looking at this season and the past 2 seasons, the highest blocked shot total doesn’t come close (S49: Ensio Kalju: 96 (Pace) / S48: Alexis Metzler & Kristaps Ball: 101 / S47: Jordan von Matt: 104). These totals are still so far off, and they appear to be dropping slightly with every passing season. Add the fact that not many people create defensive defensemen, and I don’t see how this record could be broken.

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - Thunfish - 08-28-2019

The hardest record to top these days? Well, that's... rough. I mean, considering the current state of the league and the state of the game itself, we have an easy and clear favourite to that: anything that is hits related. The fact we had that one moment where every single team of the juniors' league chose to refuse to bring in the two remaining enforcer builds tells a lot of where the importance of hitting currently is. And I say this with the knowledge that I was probably going to go towards a build that liked to fight a lot since... well, I named my player Yoshimitsu, it'd be a must. Being an Enforcer isn't a thing anymore. That said, I did ask at the Pride locker room and another possible one would be TPE since the opportunities to grab more of those have been somewhat lessened. Not to say that's a bad or a good thing, that's just a thing I wanted to point at as well.

Quote:Words: 173

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - Trautner - 08-28-2019

pbe

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - Jenny - 08-28-2019

Even just glancing at the Bojo Box in order to assemble a modicum of a thought about SHL records makes it pretty obvious that point totals are the most unlikely records to be broken in the regular season of the SHL. While VLAD McZehrl made a good go of it in S34 and almost broke 80 points (with 79), reality remains that no player has done so since S11, when Elias Armia claimed himself a comfortable spot at the top with 88 points, as well as Frankie Gooseneck and Jordan McArthur scoring 82 points. Unless Simon T really goes hog wild at some point, which is fully possible because STHS is a fickle motherfucker, the scoring era of the SHL is well and truly over, and Armia is basically untouchable. Especially since he apparently did that in 48 games instead of 50. He really fizzles out after that season, but honestly, who wouldn't. I would also be tired after scoring 88 points. He deserved to rest.

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - Noble - 08-28-2019

The current hardest record to break will definitely be the all-time point scoring record for a single season set by Armia back in S11 with the Texas Renegades. 88 points is an absolutely godlike figure that I really don't believe will ever be matched again due to the nature of the league and how balanced things currently are. Obviously this record was set during an era of inflation where point scoring was through the roof, and this means that in the current meta where goaltending can stand up to even the most elite of shooters it's unlikely we'll ever see someone get even remotely close to that. The last player to near the record in any amount was Terrance Nova back in S46, and since then the league has been pretty devoid of generational point scoring seasons. But, who knows. Players like Gretzky hold astonding records in the real world, who's to stay Armia's won't stand the test of time like the Great One's have?

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - wumaduce - 08-29-2019

pbe, username squishes

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - Zombiewolf - 08-29-2019

I honestly think Vlad McZehrl's shot record from season 32 will be the hardest to break, he had 364 that season. Mainly because this record comes all the way from season 32 and not a single player has even come close to beating it. Chris York has been the only other player since Vlad broke the record to have over 300 shots with his 311 shots in season 40. The reason becuase nobody will or has come close to his record, in my opinion, is because of the double shift rule change. Because of this players see fewer ice time, thus they have less opportunity to shoot. I mean just look at season 48 where Nora Wozy had the most shots with just 235. Season 47 it was Bobby Watson with 274. It will take a lot of sim luck if anybody wants to beat Vlad McZehrl's shot record.

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - FinnRhys - 08-29-2019

The Tomen Special: What would you consider to be the most underrated SHL record in the current era? Explain yourself.

I am a defensive minded guy. Points are great but the unsung and most underrated heroes of the defense are the guys that throw their bodies in front of the puck. The reason shot blocks is so underrated is because it is a stat without much context. You can't really show or prove that an unblocked shot would have resulted in a goal. It could have been saved by the goalie or it could have pinged off the post or missed the net entirely.

That said, in my mind it is incredibly valuable and the most underrated specifically because you don't know what could have happened otherwise. You do know, however, that the puck stayed away from the net and prevented what could have been a goal.

Additionally, with all the variables in Simon T it is incredibly hard to be a consistent shot blocker. Somehow Alonzo Garbonzo was able to be that consistent shot blocker. Over a 24 season career he averaged 1.5 blocks a game. That doesn't sound like much until you factor in how fickle Simon T can be and for these reasons this record is the most underrated.

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - NONAME - 08-29-2019

I believe there are a lot of record within the SHL that will never be touch again. Just like the NHL, the game changes with time and as that happens certain things just aren't reachable anymore. One record I believe we won't see touched is the all time TPE leader which is Jason Visser at 2285 TPE. There are a few reasons why I believe this will never be touched. From the research I conducted through searching the forums and talking to people, seasons use to last longer which opened up more TPE opportunities throughout the league. Once upon a time, anyone could participate in post game shows which can rack up quite a bit of TPE. Play by plays also use to be worth 10 TPE as well. There are just fewer chances for players to gain TPE throughout their career now before they can hit their peak and regression begins to kick in.

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - TnlAstatine - 08-29-2019

I really don't see the record of 88 points (by Elias Armia) in a single season getting broken anytime soon. It was even in the era where they played 2 less games. I know there was way less great skaters as we have today (it seems like every team has 3 or sometimes 4 lines of depth) so it was easier to run the league down, but these are some Gretzky type numbers. If it were a full 82 game season this is projected at 144 points which is legendary by today's standards. Right now there are only 15 ppg players in the entire league and you gotta be almost getting 2 a night to have a sniff at this record. Unless there are some (much needed) changes to the formula this one isn't gonna be touched for a long time. It's just too much to ask with the depth and how the rules fit the system right now.

RE: S49 PT #4 - The Record Book - StamkosFan - 08-29-2019

Code:

I think it would virtually impossible to break the single season points record; scoring seems to have dropped off for the most part in the last decade or so, with only 3 players in the top 20 for all time single season scoring being from S40 or sooner. The record is Elias Armia's 88 points from Season 11; somehow, he accomplished that in less games than we would have now. In the current scoring climate, it's an impressive feat to break 60 points. Just to hammer that point home, the points leader for S49, Herb Robert, is the only player in the 50 point range now and is barely there; he has 50 points exactly and is pacing for 55 in the full 50 games. The idea of someone getting into the 80s is almost laughable, it just probably wouldn't happen under any circumstances. It would be exciting to see, but could only happen with serious slider changes or every goalie and defenseman in the league quitting at the same time.