Create Account

(2x Draft Media) Grandmaster Funk Post-Draft Q&A
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2020, 07:15 PM by funk.)

Ready For Grading, 2233 Words

Hey all, my name is Grandmaster Funk and I was selected 5th overall in the S56 SHL Draft by the New England Wolfpack. I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce myself and open a conversation with you fine and lovely SHL folks through a post-draft Q&A. Please drop any questions below and I'll update this post throughout the day.

From jRuutu, Nevada Battleborn/San Francisco Pride:

1. Thoughts on getting picked in the first round, was 5th overall selection a surprise?
Oh man, I'm over the moon. A couple weeks ago I thought I'd be a late 1st at absolute best. I know what I have to offer and I know I can bring the value of a top pick in the draft, but I was totally set on the idea of going in the 20th overall range. When talks with teams picked up and I realized my stock was on the rise a bit, I was thrilled. I still didn't expect to go as high as 5th overall, but just to be in those talks as a potential high pick was incredible. Honestly, I didn't believe it until my name was called, and even for a little bit after that. The trust that New England put in me to take me where they did is incredibly telling for how much the franchise believes in me, and I can't wait to prove my worth to them.

2. I noticed that your mock draft post was just next to mine in the mock draft thread, but after copying it once I later copied someone elses mock post, did I make a mistake in not trusting your mock, how did your predictions for the draft go? And in general is it fun to try and figure out who goes where and when?
You made the best choice possible in not copying my mock draft! I thew my list out without a huge understanding of some of the other prospects in the pool, so deciding to go with another mock was an A-1 move on your part. There are many, many better scouting minds than mine on the forum and to go with a more tenured analyst is a great play. Leading up to the draft, my focus was on getting my talks in with the GMs and really trying to get a good idea as to what each locker room was like. My mock definitely suffered because of that.
In general, it's a blast to do the mocks though. I had a great time looking at all of the other prospects lining up beside me on the draft floor and I've gained a new respect for a LOT of players I never would have assumed were rookies at all from how great they were playing in the J.

3. How many seasons you think you need in the juniors before you are ready to play in SHL? Or do you feel you could play in SHL already if needed?
In all honesty, I definitely need some more seasoning before I make the jump to the big leagues. As excited as I am to play for New England, my focus is on Nevada for the next 2-3 seasons at least. I want to prove my worth as a killer on the blue line before I even attempt to make the jump. Last season I finished with some pretty great defensive metrics, but the offense was definitely underwhelming. I'm going to be looking for an opportunity to prove myself on that end of the ice, and I'd love to put myself in talks as a top defender in the J before I'd feel ready to graduate to the SHL.

Thanks for taking the time to ask some questions, Ruutu! Much appreciated.

From Andy, Nevada Battleborn/Baltimore Platoon:
1. When did you know NEW was taking you at the top?
Shortly before the draft I got my confirmation as a top target. We've had ongoing talks for the better part of a week now and I was absolutely in love with the idea of going to New England. These guys were accepting me with open arms even before they made the selection, and the fact that they opted to secure me with such a high pick is such an incredible honor. Up until my name was called, I was totally open to the idea of going later or to a different team. I genuinely didn't expect anyone to take that chance on me until it happened.

2. With this being your first player, what did you think of the whole pre draft and draft experience?
I think the best word to describe the whole experience would be 'magical'. Being the subject of draft talks, getting to meet so many great people who've been around the league for ages, getting my name called on draft night, and finally meeting my awesome new teammates in New England. The draft had to be the most fun experience of my SHL career so far. It was almost surreal how fast this past week has moved, and now I have a great future to look forward to with an excellent organization and another fantastic group of teammates.

3. How does it feel from going in the 50’s to a top 5 pick?
I mentioned it in the previous question, but it feels totally surreal. Nevada took a chance on me on your word as the 56th pick of the J draft, and even then I was so glad to go as high as I did. Honestly, I just wanted to be drafted. To go from that to a top 5 pick in the SHL draft after my first season in the league is just wild. I'm totally blown away with the trust and respect that New England has shown me in the past week, and the fact that they felt strongly enough to use their 5th overall pick on me is just incredible. I owe every aspect of my development to the incredible Nevada organization and the great people involved, from the guys at the helm in Jay, Noka, and Wasty to each and every member of that fantastic locker room.

4. What are your thoughts on Krazko who you were drafted with?
Krazko seems like an absolutely swell person, and his production speaks for itself and then some. Calvin Hobbes on the Timber was a total threat on both ends of the ice, with great point totals for a fourth line C on top of a mature personality and style of play. Totally deserved spot at 4th overall, if not even higher. I think the value this guy will bring to the long term stability of the center position in New England will speak volumes. Looks to be someone who can slot in anywhere in the lineup and be supremely effective, and I'm hyped to play with him.

5. Did where/ when any of your Nevada teammates go in the draft surprise you?
There were a few players that I was totally surprised when I saw how far they dropped. Guys like Bane, Kamado, Danger, and Helminen all went lower than I expected. Mildly surprised to see Tampa drafting out of Nevada, but very glad that Weaver found a home and especially that he got taken in the first round. Dude's a stud and he totally bailed us out of a few games this past season.

6. Lastly, thoughts on NEW before the draft as well as now?
Before the draft, as with most teams in the draft, I didn't have a strong opinion. When talks started up over the past week, the guys over in New England were always kind, courteous, and open with me. The locker room in New England is hilarious, lots of fun-loving people and about a billion different things to do. Gaming, blackjack, music discussions, memes for days, and just a horde of awesome people who are always down to chat from what I've seen. Being in the New England system definitely makes me feel like I have a bright future in the league.

Thanks for the awesome queries, Andy! Gave me a lot to think about!

From W19eaver, Nevada Battleborn/Tampa Bay Barracuda:
1. What is your plan to make NEW more "funk"y ?
Easy; I show up, it's more funky. It's as simple as that. I bring the funk wherever I go.
Seriously though, as far as what I can bring to the New England locker room goes, I think I just want to take in the fresh air of my first SHL team for now. I'm going to do my best to be a positive, happy presence off the ice and to be the kind of guy that lights the room up a bit. Nobody wants to have a doom-and-gloom draft pick stinking up the equipment closet, so my main goal is just to be a consistent face in the room and to try to elevate the morale.
Also, a keytar. I'm bringing a keytar. That's funky as shit.

Thanks for the question, Weavs! Let's kill the J this season!

From bluesfan55, New England Wolfpack:
1. How excited are you to be in the New England system?
Absolutely overjoyed! The team has welcomed me home with open arms and the culture is fantastic. It's a team with a clear goal in mind for their competitive window and a clear plan for what they want me to do to help them accomplish their goals. Being able to play a key role in the next wave of New England excellence is something that's keeping my mentality fierce and keeping my drive going strong. This is the kind of team that can win cups in due time, and I'm absolutely blessed with the opportunity to contribute to that.

Thanks for the question, Bluesy! Super excited to be a part of The Pack!

From Ace, New England Wolfpack:
1. Thoughts on your chances of developing into a Stevens Trophy contender? (SHL Top Defensive Defenseman)
You know, when I was developing my style initially, I never really thought about being a contender for the defensive defenseman award. After a season in the J with good defensive numbers and a lot of positive reinforcement on the defensive side of my game, I think it's definitely a goal that I want to work towards. I think I bring a unique combination of speed, finesse, and game sense to my defensive game in a league that typically trends towards the bigger, stronger guys putting up the accepted stats needed for that kind of award. I tend to try to impact the game with a fast, rotational style to keep high pressure on shooters and burn guys in transition.
I'd be honored if my name is ever mentioned as one of the top defenders in the league. I know my kind of skillset tends to project well in terms of advanced stats, but what's on my mind now is the improvement and becoming a defender that people will pretend they never doubted.

2. Is there anyone you've really clicked with or look up to as a mentor so far in the New England system?
Oh man, my head is still spinning from the draft night. I've definitely been acquainted with a lot of the guys up in New England, and I feel like I'm clicking really well in the locker room in general. So far, my biggest mentors in New England have been the team management, but it's such a hard question to answer because everyone in the locker room has been so welcoming and supportive. I've only been on the team for about 24 hours now and the outpouring of kindness and fun has just been incredible.

3. Favorite NHL Team?
Don't hate me, but the Penguins. Been a fan for as long as I've been able to understand the game. My dad followed Mario, I was around for the Crosby era, and we both got to watch  some of the best players to ever touch the ice win some cups and put up absolutely insane individual statistics. I also follow the Sabres because Eichel and Dahlin are supreme talents that should be a LOT more recognized than they currently are.

Thanks for the questions, Ace! Your openness and support prior to the draft were huge in getting me so hyped to join the squad.

From bbjygm, New England Wolfpack:
1. How did your anticipated placement evolve over the course of both your entry drafts?
This is a great question. In the days leading up to the draft, I was all over the place. It started off with me thinking I was going in the second round, then I was getting some mumbles that I might be going in the first, and then I started talking with teams and my projection just kept climbing. It felt pretty far out of my hands by the time the draft rolled around, and any expectations I had going in were absolutely shattered by the position at which I was actually drafted. I'm still in disbelief I went as high as I did, so the only thing to do now is to get on the grind to really show the world that I'm worthy of a top 5 pick.

Thanks for the great question, bb! This has definitely something I've been thinking about for the past few days.

UPDATESPLAYER PAGE

1. Thoughts on getting picked in the first round, was 5th overall selection a surprise?

2. I noticed that your mock draft post was just next to mine in the mock draft thread, but after copying it once I later copied someone elses mock post, did I make a mistake in not trusting your mock, how did your predictions for the draft go? And in general is it fun to try and figure out who goes where and when?

3. How many seasons you think you need in the juniors before you are ready to play in SHL? Or do you feel you could play in SHL already if needed?

When did you know New was taking you at the top?

With this being your first player, what did you think of the whole pre draft and draft experience?

How does it feel from going in the 50’s to a top 5 pick?

What are your thoughts on Krazko who you were drafted with?

Did where/ when any of your Nevada teammates go in the draft surprise you?

Lastly, thoughts on New before the draft as well as now?

[Image: andyj18.gif]

[Image: andybj18.gif]

[Image: pawter_meowski.png]

What is your plan to make NEW more "funk"y ?

[Image: Qfss7w7.png]      [Image: 8yB62LM.png]
[Image: W19eaver.gif]

how excited are you to be in the new england system?

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2020, 12:06 PM by Ace.)

Thoughts on your chances of developing into a Stevens Trophy contender? (SHL Top Defensive Defenseman)

Is there anyone you've really clicked with or look up to as a mentor so far in the New England system?

Favorite NHL Team?

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

How did your anticipated placement evolve over the course of both your entry drafts?

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats
[Image: YZjkK9Q.png] PORTAL [Image: rwqM7d3.png]
Berserkers Elk Falcons Renegades Germany

Stats Pre-S53 || Stats S53+
[Image: yXVPZSm.png] [Image: updates2.png]
Outlaws Switzerland Wolfpack
S53 All-Star and Richan Trophy Nominee
S60 Jeff Dar Trophy Winner
Never forget