Create Account

Emerson Switch Presser
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2021, 04:04 AM by Thelastheraclid.)

(Ready for grading. 1176 words)

Big news in Baltimore tonight: long time Platoon defender Nat Emerson has revealed that he is going to be transitioning to right wing next season. This will likely come as a shock to many fans and talking heads around the SHL. Emerson has cemented himself as one of the top defensive defenders in the league; it is a little strange that he would make the jump to forward so late in his career.

Emerson enters the room and takes a seat in front of the Baltimore Platoon banner hanging in the front of the room. The room is lit with the flashes of cameras snapping as many pictures as they can.

Alright, guys, let’s get this started. Fire away.

Nat why the sudden change in position?
Well, it is something that management and I have been discussing for a little bit. It isn’t some out of the blue decision. The Platoon have had excellent drafting the last few seasons and our prospect pool is teeming with young defenders. It is time for them to take the next step forward and that means more ice time. My D partner, Valentin Kalashnikov took huge leaps forward in his game this year and he is ready to take over the role as the #1 D man for the Platoon. I still have some tread on my tires and the offensive prospects in the system still have some developing to do before making the jump to the big league. We believe I can fill in the gap until they are ready.

How do you feel about this affecting your chances at the SHL shots blocked record?
It stings a little to be honest but I have always been a team first guy. Depending on the role I’ll play up front I’ll still have a shot at breaking the record anyway. If it is meant to happen it will. Last I checked I was around 250 away from the record. If I don’t hit it, I’ll at least get 2nd. More important to me is holding the Platoon record for blocks and climbing up the record books in Baltimore.

Why not ask for a trade to continue playing as a defender?
Like I said, I’m a team guy. The Platoon took a chance on me all those years ago when I was drafted and have taken care of me since. I was here on the last championship team and have stuck with them through the admittedly tough seasons we had. We are close to having another cup window open. It has been a serious point of pride to bridge these two eras of the Platoon. I have been open with management that I will do anything to stick around as long as I am useful and that I would wave my no movement clause if a trade presented itself that would benefit the team. Well with the exception of one team, which management accepted with no qualms.

Quote:Are you going to regret missing out on defensemen awards?

Oh baby I've been regretting it my whole career. Seriously though with my career winding down the chances of me snagging a defensive award are getting smaller every season. My peak is past me now so I doubt it would be a possibility if I didn't switch. On the Platoon alone our young defenders have grown so much that I wasn't being relied on as much as in past seasons. Last season, Kalashnikov showed that he was ready for that shutdown role. Maybe I can make a push for a Dar now though?

Quote:Not only being "just a defender", but being an extremely defensive defender, What are your expectations moving to forward?
What's the first thing you're going to do once you get the blocks record?

I'd imagine that in moving to the wing I would play sort of a mid fielder type role in the line up. I've shown in the last few seasons that I do have some hidden offensive upside to game, so I can chip in points (hopefully break my career high of 40) and provide a ton of defensive support in the other end. I'm guessing that I specialize on the PK and leave the PP to more offensively talented guys up front but as always I'll play wherever and whenever coach says.

If I can grab the blocks record the first thing I am going to do is sit in the ice bath for good long while. After that I'd have a celebratory dinner with the team. Nothing extravagant just quality time with my Platoon family. Maybe show off all my scars and bruises that I have accumulated along the way. I'll save that for after dinner though. I don't want anyone losing their appetite. Whoever gets sick from the show after dinner has to pay for a few rounds when we hit the town after.

Quote:What are your goals for this upcoming season? Any milestones or records you are looking at?

Thoughts on IIHF this season? Team outlooks?

Godzilla or King Kong?

My personal goal for the upcoming season is to surpass my 40 point season record. Ideally I would like to hit the the point per game mark which I think is doable given the talent that will be around me. While putting that effort in on the offensive side I hope to still be one of the premier defensive players in the league. If I can put up points in the 50 to 60 range and lead forwards in blocks and takeaways I will be ecstatic. I may not be a defenseman anymore but you can't take my tendency to focus on blocks away.

I'm no expert on the IIHF but I think it will be another tough tournament for my Latvia squad. Like the Platoon, Latvia has a lot of young talent in development and success is on the horizon. The usual powerhouses of the United States, Canada, and Great Britain will be the ones to beat most likely. Hopefully, Latvia will be able to string a few more wins together and get out of the basement.

Kong may be able to create some tools as proven by that cool ax he is swinging around in the promo but that isn't going to do anything against freaking atomic breath. Godzilla is comfortable enough with itself that it doesn't need to name himself king. Everyone else understands that he is the king of the monsters.

Quote:Who you got tonight, Kong or Godzilla?

Godzilla all the way.

Quote:Do you think young Tanjirooooo will be able to fill Emersons shoes as the young defenseman now need to pick up where he left off?

Tanjiro is going to have no problem filling in for Emerson on the back end. Tanjiro put up 25 points in his rookie season. It took Emerson a good while before he was piecing that kind of production together. All of those numbers are just going to get better with more ice time coming Tanjiro's way.

Quote:First of all, thank you; Cassius Darrow may yet be able to hold onto the all time record for most blocks with this transition to F for Emerson.

What are you most looking forward to from this position switch?

What do you think has been the best season of your career as a player? Personally your best performance, not about the team or favorite memory.

The thing I am looking forward to the most from the position switch is helping Baltimore garner a little more success next season. The success of Baltimore has always been my main goal in my career but personally I do hope that I can break that PPG mark.

For my best personal season I'd have to go with season 57. I had my best offensive year of my career with 40 points. To go with that I ended the season 5th in shot blocks. That was the season that I think I finally found my game. Unfortunately, I pieced my game together right at the tail end of my career.

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Are you going to regret missing out on defensemen awards?

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Not only being "just a defender", but being an extremely defensive defender, What are your expectations moving to forward?
What's the first thing you're going to do once you get the blocks record?

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2021, 03:47 PM by Jumbobone19.)

What are your goals for this upcoming season? Any milestones or records you are looking at?

Thoughts on IIHF this season? Team outlooks?

Godzilla or King Kong?

[Image: jumbobone19.gif]
[Image: 9tINabI.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: xc2IPJy.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wW0VNnL.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM @sköldpaddor @Merica for the Sigs

Who you got tonight, Kong or Godzilla?

Do you think young Tanjirooooo will be able to fill Emersons shoes as the young defenseman now need to pick up where he left off?

[Image: andyj18.gif]

[Image: andybj18.gif]

[Image: pawter_meowski.png]

First of all, thank you; Cassius Darrow may yet be able to hold onto the all time record for most blocks with this transition to F for Emerson.

What are you most looking forward to from this position switch?

What do you think has been the best season of your career as a player? Personally your best performance, not about the team or favorite memory.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]