Create Account

My First Season in the SHL [x2 Media]
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2021, 02:40 AM by CptGoosar.)

My first season in the SHL:
This is my first piece of written media for the SHL, and I thought it a good idea to give an overview of how I felt my first season in the SHL has been.

Background:
I joined the SHL from the ISFL. I had only had one season in the ISFL so by I’m still very green when it comes to the whole sim league community and everything that I thrown in with it all. However, I loved my first season with in the ISFL so I took the leap and so I decided to join the SHL and expanded out of the ISFL. I joined the SHL on the 13th of August not really knowing how much time or effort I’d put into the SHL. Why I chose the SHL over any of the other sim leagues I don’t know, I’ve never really been a hockey fan, I’m from the UK so has a decent number of exposes at times, not as much as American Football but still some. I’d seen a game when on holiday to Toronto in 2006 and watch the Toronto Maple Leaf’s play the Tampa Bay Lightnings at the Air Canada Center so I choose Ice Hockey over baseball.  My knowledge is next to zero about Ice Hockey so when I created my player, I really didn’t know what to do or what I wanted my player to achieve. I eventually decide on an assist king style of player not so focused on goal scoring but more in setting them up.

Scouting & Draft:
Here, I would like to thank all of those member who were responsible for the creation of the rookie guide, it really did help me create my player and grab a basic understanding of how each attribute work within the sim. You all deserve a massive amount of credit for the work you put in there to create it all. So after I created my player it was one of the best aspects of the sim league and that is the scouting. I really do love this aspect, creating new connection and trying to find a suitable fit for both myself and my player.
Then draft night arrived, now living in the UK I time wasn’t the best for me with the draft starting at 1am.  However, I decided to make the commitment to stay up and watch the draft live and find out where I would spend my first few season in the SHL. I had no idea what round I would get drafted, didn’t expect to get taken in the first two round, and so it turned out to be. With the 41st pick in the 3rd round I was selected by the Anaheim Outlaws, I was elated. Anaheim was a team that I had a great scouting conversation with and was very excited to a be a part of. The fit was perfect as well, with Anaheim basically being a team of rookies with the odd veteran LR presence.  Hopefully in a few season both the team and I will have peaked around the same time.
My second thank you should now go to each and every member of the Anaheim LR they’ve been mega in helping not only myself but all the rookies in learning the ropes in the SHL. Special mention should go to Tallas the GM, he’s put a lot of time and effect into making the franchise a scary prospect for the future. Each member deserves a load of credit, as for me having a great group of players in the LR is one of the key aspects any GM should try to aim for. In my limited experience having a strong LR encourages increased participation in the league and thus more TPE and hence more player progress. I really can’t stress enough how wonderful they’ve all been.

SMJHL S61:
So I’d been told not to expect any great results in the first season, due to build of our team with most member being rookies, and each week the team should be getting stronger and stronger, with a emphasis on the future rather than the current season.  The season started poorly with a lot of heavy losses, and few good results. Tallas again was great in keeping both the moral & engagement high in the LR. AS the season progressed the results started to improve claiming more wins as the season went on. By know means would anyone look back at the season and go that was a great season, however all things considered it really was. We finished the season 19-42-5 finishing 13th overall. However being part of a 3 team division we qualified for the playoff, not totally justified but you take what your given in life.

My Player: 
So as you all know, I started my season with 155 TPE, and finishing with 290 by the end of the season. The gain in TPE came from many sauces, weekly training results in 18 TPE, 14 TPE from training camp, 12 TPE from Activity Checks, 21 from point task, 12 from catch up TPE to name but a few. So earning 135 TPE in a season is not too bad, It’s not max which im annoyed with but its close. Hopefully I’ll be able to keep earning at this rate over the next series of season and become a force to be reckoned with.
Now stat wise, I didn’t really light up any stat across the season but finished with 7 goals 16 assists (23 points) from 75 shots over 66 games, my points differential ended up being -26 for the season. Not great and something that I hope I’ll be able to work on as the seasons progresses.  Not the best ever rookie season but certainly a good start with a lot of room to improve upon.
Now for money, over the course of the season I earnt $15,925,000, $9,000,000 of that was earned through the rookie task, I would highly recommend all rookies finishing them all off, it’s a nice solid amount of money that can be used to buy the coaching for your first couple of season. $4,000,000 came from the rookie contract, the rest was from twitter payouts, again another little easy money spinner that can easily give you a lot of money in the long run, well worth it.  

Conlcusion:
In short my first season in the SHL has been mega, I’ve loved every single moment of the season and cant wait to see what is in store for both myself and my player over the coming years and seasons. Hopefully it the start of a great relationship that’ll last for a considerable amount of time.
Thanks you to each and every single member of the SHL has been a part of that, without you all, this wouldn't be possible without you all.

(RFG – 1150)

[Image: gill.png]

Howdy from a fellow newbie! Huge agree with the rookie guide (hugely helpful) and the scouting conversations (my absolute favorite part so far, can't wait for SHL scouting), excited to see where you go and how Stephan Gill's career unfolds! Also, since this is your first media, highly recommend putting "[x2 first]" in the title so you can get some extra $$ for your work!

[Image: 1091735715194343496][Image: merh.gif][Image: 1091735379956211812]
[Image: jZtKPwK.png]    [Image: Thz4BYW.png]    [Image: ivBf7yq.png]    [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

[Image: merha.gif]
[Image: kvwHYOm.gif]
gay heghog

Love reading about people's experiences when they're new to the league. Reminds me of how fun and exciting it was when I was learning everything!

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=665ea534&is=665d53b4&hm=80...8cd6be61d&]

10-04-2021, 12:30 AMleviadan Wrote: Love reading about people's experiences when they're new to the league. Reminds me of how fun and exciting it was when I was learning everything!

Absolutely agreed, articles about someone's first impressions of the League are always fantastic. This one's no exception!

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

10-03-2021, 10:36 PMmer Wrote: Howdy from a fellow newbie! Huge agree with the rookie guide (hugely helpful) and the scouting conversations (my absolute favorite part so far, can't wait for SHL scouting), excited to see where you go and how Stephan Gill's career unfolds! Also, since this is your first media, highly recommend putting "[x2 first]" in the title so you can get some extra $$ for your work!

Thanks for the reminder on the x2 - got to be worth it haha
The same to you - looking forward to writing a season 2 version.
Can't wait to see how the draft goes Smile

10-04-2021, 12:30 AMleviadan Wrote: Love reading about people's experiences when they're new to the league. Reminds me of how fun and exciting it was when I was learning everything!

Im pleased you enjoyed reading it. Hopefully there are loads more Poole like me who’ve enjoyed their first season in the league. As I said without the whole community being amazing this would never be possible.

10-04-2021, 12:34 AMACapitalChicago Wrote:

Absolutely agreed, articles about someone's first impressions of the League are always fantastic. This one's no exception!

The whole community really does deserve all the credit it’s due, everyone from HO to new user really does make this something special.

Nice read, Cpt! Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother