Create Account

New Features potentially?

Quote:Originally posted by ThatDamnMcJesus@Dec 18 2017, 01:53 PM

O. Then what was your point?

Let say Team X is at the 70mil cap cause they gave their GM an extra 1.5mil. So we can do an extra ITC or wtv.

And they are trying to make a trade team y who has 68mil in cap. Who has a player making 4mil. Team x offers a player making 1mil+picks for player on team y.Which is the best/only offer team Y has got. Team y can eat 3mil to make the trade work.
you missed the point of the entire conversation.

your argument was GMs should pay themselves more (restructure) to not waste their cap space. My argument is it's not always a bad idea to have leftover cap in the event that you want to make a trade and not have to give up extra assets for cap space. If the only way we have of paying ourselves is with contract restructures and our team is already tight on cash, you are putting yourself in a position where you may need to give up extra assets for cap space to complete a trade, or just dont pay yourself at all.

You aren't wrong that you can try and micromanage a trade to make it work financially and throw in pieces or whatever, but the fact that you might HAVE to do that if you even want to pay yourself is what I find absurd.

Quote:Originally posted by JR95@Dec 18 2017, 01:03 PM

you missed the point of the entire conversation.

your argument was GMs should pay themselves more (restructure) to not waste their cap space. My argument is it's not always a bad idea to have leftover cap in the event that you want to make a trade and not have to give up [b]extra assets for cap space
. If the only way we have of paying ourselves is with contract restructures and our team is already tight  on cash, you are putting yourself in a position where you may need to give up extra assets for cap space to complete a trade, or just dont pay yourself at all.

You aren't wrong that you can try and micromanage a trade to make it work financially and throw in pieces or whatever, but the fact that you might HAVE to do that if you even want to pay yourself is what I find absurd.[/b]

How much does cap space cost? A 3rd or a 4th in a non reddit draft year for 2.5mil?

3rd or a 4th rarely translate into an active player. I would pay a 3rd or a 4th so either someone on my team can do itc or gooney can do itc every week everytime.

I also never seen a GM be like nah fack that or gimme more cause i want them to eat the cap when they have excess cap space. Maybe c did but how he valued things was weird.

[Image: hallsy.png]

Quote:Originally posted by ThatDamnMcJesus@Dec 18 2017, 02:15 PM

How much does cap space cost? A 3rd or a 4th in a non reddit draft year for 2.5mil?

3rd or a 4th rarely translate into an active player. I would pay a 3rd or a 4th so either someone on my team can do itc or gooney can do itc every week everytime.

I also never seen a GM be like nah fack that or gimme more  cause i want them to eat the cap when they have excess cap space. Maybe c did but how he valued things was weird.
the point isnt how much it costs Hallsy, its that we might have to do it at all. again, you're missing the complete point of the argument.

Quote:Originally posted by JR95@Dec 18 2017, 01:34 PM
doesnt matter if its taking from the rest of your cap to use on other players. I know not everyone uses their cap but it makes 0 sense to handicap your team to pay yourself as a GM, hence why most don't do it.
I agree with you there.

I will never take anything above the home town discount for my GM player. If you're managing your cap right, you're making out with basically 0 (or a small buffer amount) year over year, because you're paying your guys as much as you can within the rules.

Paying a GM's own player, rather than giving that to your team seems crazy, but to each their own, I suppose.

[Image: tZTGSGj.png]
[Image: 2AFxw6o.png]

I know I'm a GM so my opinion is already void, but I wanted to throw my two cents why GM's should be paid.

The coaching part should not be paid. That's essentially playing the game. Chances are you're coach because you want to be, not because it's just a need that has to be done. (sorry rabid :( )

However, the management part should be paid. The offseason is the most dreadful part of being a GM. We have a deadline to get budgets, rosters, lines, etc. We have to keep track of our own budgets to make sure that the official one is correct (which it often isn't, with no offense to our awesome budget guy). We have to plan a date to draft players, and then move those players into our roster. We have to sign contracts and reach out to every person. We have to deal with drama every now and then. We have to at least try to go after free agents, because if we don't our team can be behind the curve.

Some of things sound simple, but anything that involves person-person interaction can be a variable amount of difficulty. Don't plan on signing FA's? Easy. No drama, and people have quick negotiations? Noice. And during the season, things are a little easier because you mostly just focus on lines.

However, even at minimum, there are still hours of time necessary to prepare a team for a season. It's literally money management and HR work. In my experience as one for almost 2-3 years it's a little more stressful than you think. I probably won't be a GM too much longer, but I want to help out future GM's.

And for comparison, it's much easier to do my banking job than it is to do my GM job.

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Quote:Originally posted by ThatDamnMcJesus@Dec 18 2017, 02:46 PM
SMJHL is defintely more work than SHL due to more roster turnover imo.
(once again, I am not against GM pay)

Even then I didn't think my work warranted much, if any pay.

I was having a blast though.

Hell, IIHF eligible player list updating was about twice as much work and gets paid 5 mil so 2 or 2.5 looks like the magic number

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by Beaujeaux@Dec 18 2017, 02:52 PM
I know I'm a GM so my opinion is already void, but I wanted to throw my two cents why GM's should be paid.

The coaching part should not be paid. That's essentially playing the game. Chances are you're coach because you want to be, not because it's just a need that has to be done. (sorry rabid :( )

However, the management part should be paid. The offseason is the most dreadful part of being a GM. We have a deadline to get budgets, rosters, lines, etc. We have to keep track of our own budgets to make sure that the official one is correct (which it often isn't, with no offense to our awesome budget guy). We have to plan a date to draft players, and then move those players into our roster. We have to sign contracts and reach out to every person. We have to deal with drama every now and then. We have to at least try to go after free agents, because if we don't our team can be behind the curve.

Some of things sound simple, but anything that involves person-person interaction can be a variable amount of difficulty. Don't plan on signing FA's? Easy. No drama, and people have quick negotiations? Noice. And during the season, things are a little easier because you mostly just focus on lines.

However, even at minimum, there are still hours of time necessary to prepare a team for a season. It's literally money management and HR work. In my experience as one for almost 2-3 years it's a little more stressful than you think. I probably won't be a GM too much longer, but I want to help out future GM's.

And for comparison, it's much easier to do my banking job than it is to do my GM job.
Bingo. ou nailed it.

[Image: tZTGSGj.png]
[Image: 2AFxw6o.png]

Honestly idek why we have a suggestion box tbh must of the stuff gets ignored.

[Image: hallsy.png]