Create Account

Last movie you watched thread

Prequels only worth it for this one scene:

<object width="460" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/05dT34hGRdg"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/05dT34hGRdg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="460" height="315"></embed></object>

Quote:Originally posted by SethTrollins@Dec 2 2015, 02:14 PM
Prequels only worth it for this one scene:
and for Jar Jar Binks.

RIP Mac & 701

anybody check out Krampus?

[Image: 220px-Following_film_poster.jpg]

8/10 - Though just 70 minutes in length and his debut, Christopher Nolan's Following is a great work that really highlights why he has taken off the way he has. Featuring strong lead performances from Jeremy Theobald and Alex Haw (how did neither of them get much work after this in acting?). The film is intense and has a really paranoid feel to it that really elevates it. Even more so, it has multiple layers to it that can make the film a fun one to take another look at to try and figure out all the different twists and turns the film takes back. A true hard boiled mystery film, Following was somehow made for $6,000 and that was money well spent as this is a great film that is honestly better than some of Nolan's big budget films. It is amazing what one can create when they have to sacrifice excess.

[Image: 220px-AGWHAN_poster.jpg]

7/10 - Brilliantly shot, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night is a good film and a great debut by director Ana Lily Aminpour, who immediately becomes a woman to keep an eye on. The acting is very good as well, but the real star here is the camera. With the film being light on plot, the camera work steals the show and really pulls out all of the possible beauty in the film. In addition, the atmosphere cultivated by Aminpour and the composer is great as it really keeps you on edge, though I certainly wish there was more a pay-off when it comes to vampires and the sucking of blood. Nowhere near as scary or horrorish as it should have been, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night falls short of being great for that reason and unlike other films that fall short here (Let the Right One In, another vampire flick, for example) it does not offer enough to overcome that. Regardless, it is a very good work that deserves praise.

[Image: 220px-The_Guest_Film_Poster.jpg]

8/10 - A dark, brooding mystery thriller, The Guest keeps you on edge throughout with a creepy atmosphere created by director Adam Wingard and the score from Steve Moore. Combined, they manage to borderline scare you, while also thrilling you with some killer action sequences and numerous twists and turns that both reveal and confuse things further. Dan Stevens is fantastic in the lead role, while Maika Monroe turns in a supporting performance that provides further proof of her brilliance. This film really manages to heighten suspense throughout and has a chilling coolness that both pulls you in and scares you that really underscores how cold and calculated everything done in the film is. In addition, the film is also really shot and has some great production design and the final act as a whole is brilliant and wraps the film up brilliantly. Overall, The Guest is a very good film that deserves far more attention than it has received.

[Image: 220px-Europa_Report_Official_Poster.jpg]

7/10 - Riveting from beginning to end, Europa Report manages to extract a ton of thrills out of the mystery surrounding the happenings and what they will find on Europa. The film has a certain chilliness to it that really keeps you on edge and waiting to see what comes next. Though, it can drag a bit in the middle until things really kick in. The constant jumping in time period also does not help matters in that regard. However, the pay-off is more than worth it and once they reach Europa, it really becomes a very good science fiction film. Somehow, it managed to be this good of a science fiction film with beautiful production design and effects with an under $10 million production budget, which is worthy of acclaim. An interesting twist on the found footage genre, Europa Report never truly feels like a found footage film, which helps. Entertaining, thrilling, and well made, Europa Report may not be great, but it is certainly more than worth your time.

[Image: 220px-The_Canal_2014_Irish_horror_movie_poster.jpg]

6/10 - The Canal is a super twisted horror film, but is honestly just not that scary. It has a good premise and it executes it well. It manages to be both deeply unsettling and partially scary at times, but really never follows through and elevates itself from being just a pretty good film and decent horror. It is incredibly well made and has all of the elements to be truly horrifying, but for some reason, it just did not terrify me as it should, though it certainly is creepy. In saying this, the ending and pay-off is fantastic and deeply twisted to the point that it leaves you in shock. However, the proceeding hour and a half do not create the necessary tension consistently enough for the film as a whole to be more than alright as a whole. In saying this, it is certainly worth a watch and is very much entertaining, but it certainly pulls no punches and the ending is mostly predictable.

[Image: 220px-Maps_to_the_Stars_poster.jpg]

5/10 - Maps to the Stars is a deeply flawed film that is all over the place. Each scene feels loosely connected at best and though it is a captivating look at stars and fame, it just falls apart slowly throughout the film. The acting is very good, but that does not save this one from feeling like a beautiful mess at times. David Cronenberg is a great director, but just did not have control over this one, but for the great portrayal of Hollywood, this one is anything but a disaster. Though messy, it is very captivating and very well shot and would be interesting to place under a microscope to figure out what it all means. However, on the whole, Maps to the Stars just falls flat and does not live up to the performances of its stars.

[Image: 220px-Woman_in_black_ver4.jpg]

8/10 - The Woman in Black is a deeply unsettling and scary horror film that really does some interesting things within the horror genre. A twist on the haunted house story with an explanation and backstory, The Woman in Black features a very good performance from Daniel Radcliffe, as well as a good one from Ciaran Hinds. The production design is great and greatly contributes to the great atmosphere created by the film that really unsettles you. In regards to the twist, there is a great scene where we get a POV shot from the ghosts perspective as we finally see her take on things and why everything is happening, which is really interesting. The ending is a little odd and I cannot tell if it is touching or terrifying. Regardless, The Woman In Black is really well done and very much a terrifying film that sets out to achieve certain goals and excels at all of them.

[Image: 220px-Godzilla_%282014%29_poster.jpg]

7/10 - Godzilla is a very, very entertaining film. I expected to be underwhelmed by this one, but I truly enjoyed it a good bit. The suspense created in anticipation of seeing Godzilla and the monsters was brilliantly executed and set up everything well. Truly, the mystery and then resulting sense of awe are what makes this one very good. The creature design is fantastic as well and the visual effects are phenomenal. In addition, the sound mixing on this one is out of this world good. Now, what holds back Godzilla? It is a Godzilla movie, so it would have nice to see more attention paid to him than the other monsters. I love his amount of screen time, but he does not dominate that screen time in any way. Additionally, it is a popcorn flick. Inherently, it feels formulaic and too predictable. At no moment are you truly surprised by the path taken by the film and this prevents it from being even better. As it stands though, Godzilla is a very good film that entertains readily.

[Image: 220px-Theory_of_Everything.jpg]

8/10 - I do not really care for Stephen Hawking, but this film is undeniably very good. Featuring brilliant imagery and a great score to couple good direction from James Marsh and a terrific performance from Eddie Redmayne, the film has quite the good report card. A good biopic on Hawking, the film also manages to be a phenomenal romance film with some elements of period pieces involved in it as well. Additionally, the costume and production design are very good, as is the sequence of Hawking's decline. Each stage is appropriately handled and given its due weight. Though I do not care for the man, he is undeniably brilliant and this shines through in the film and you feel a sort of sense of awe watching his mind work. Overall, The Theory of Everything is not a great film, but it is very close and was very much deserving of its recognition as such.

[Image: 220px-Ida_%282013_film%29.jpg]

8/10 - Technically brilliant, Ida is truly a picture in motion and that image is absolutely gorgeous. Throughout, it is wonderfully beautiful and moving with great performances, brilliant writing, inspired direction, and fantastic cinematography. I cannot say I have ever seen a Polish film, but this is certainly one of the better foreign films I have seen and I am elated it got the level of praise it did. Truly, this film feels important and brilliant. However, what does hold this one back is it feels distant. While interesting and compelling, it is never quite as engaging as one would typically ask of a film. Truly a marvelous art piece of a film, Ida is in many ways a great post-war film, a great religious film, and a brilliant tragedy. However, what it truly is a great rendition of: it is a great journey for self. Ida is about a girl who is out to discover who she is and her family's history and this film does a great job telling this tale. A brilliant work from Poland, Ida may not be as engaging as some would like, but it is undeniably fantastic filmmaking.

[Image: 220px-Naked_Gun_3_poster.jpg]

6/10 - Much like the second installment, it is not as good as the original, but is still a very funny follow-up that has all the trademark humor the series is known for. In saying that, it is a bit more hit-and-miss, but when it hits, it is a home run. Though not fantastic, the third Naked Gun is a fantastic time that will certainly make you laugh hysterically at some point.

[Image: 220px-John_Wick_TeaserPoster.jpg]

8/10 - A sleek and stylish action thriller, John Wick is very much an action movie, but its action is so well done, it never becomes numbing and boring. From brilliantly choreographed fight scene to brilliantly choreographed fight scene, this one is a labor of love from directors Chad Stahelski and David Leitch and it shows. Their direction is assured, especially for a debut. A beautifully shot and crafted action thriller, this film shows it is not just a dog. It is what the dog represents, especially for Mr. Wick. The backstory is great, as is the world created by the film. I cannot wait for the sequel now, just to see more of this world of crime and its various characters. Keanu Reeves is great, as is Michael Nyqvist. John Leguizamo and Ian McShane have small roles here, but I enjoyed their performances all the same. Additionally, Willem Defoe is very good. Overall, John Wick is a menacing little action thriller that hits all the right notes and is thoroughly captivating.

[Image: 220px-Brooklyn_FilmPoster.jpg]

8/10 - Romantic, emotional, moving, and entirely lush, Brooklyn is a gorgeous film about love and also about the struggles of immigrants. Saoirse Ronan is phenomenal in the film, as is Emory Cohen. Together, they form one of the better on-screen couples in recent memory. The writing is fantastic. The entire film goes from emotion, romance, comedy, and tragedy, in a very natural manner that makes this one really hit you hard. As a period piece, it was inevitable I would like this one. Beautiful costume and production design, as well as some fantastic music really set the mood for this one. The direction is very good as well, though certainly not the strongest element of the film. The runtime really flies by and you get swept up in the world of magic and wonder. Ronan deserves recognition for this, which will more than likely come.

[Image: 220px-Frances_Ha_poster.png]

7/10 - Frances Ha is a charming little comedy-drama from director Noah Baumbach that certainly is easy to identify with given the struggles of the main character. Though she is certainly flawed, she has a feeling of being entirely real and authentic. Great Gerwig is fantastic, as is the rest of the cast, but Gerwig soaks up the screen and kills it the entire time. Truly plotless, Franches Ha could certainly be seen as being a touch pretentious by some, but I enjoyed it very much. It never drags and always engages you and makes you feel invested in the life of this girl who is in a bit of a rough patch of her life. However, as I said, it could certainly be called pretentious and you would have a leg to stand on. Making her attend Vassar College does not help this cause. However, on the whole, Frances Ha is a cute little film that really sweeps you in and charms you the entire time. This is the first film I have seen from Baumbach and it certainly underscores that I need to watch more.

[Image: 220px-The_Hunt_%282012_film%29.jpg]

8/10 - I cannot explain how much this movie pissed me off. From the baseless accusation to the brainwashed belief of clearly unfounded lies to the way he is treated in the aftermath is just so aggravating. In this way, the film is brilliant. I had to pause many a time to just try and collect myself a bit and not punch my computer screen. Mads Mikkelsen is absolutely stunning in this film and turns in a terrifically believable and authentic performance as the accused teacher. The film does a great job portraying the hysteria that surrounds an accusation of this magnitude and the resulting anger and confusion. The cinematography is absolutely breathtaking at times and the direction from Thomas Vinterberg is fantastic. Overall, The Hunt is a great film that may move slow at times, but really sucks you in and makes you feel something for the protagonist as you watch this injustice take place.

[Image: 220px-We_Are_the_Best%21.jpg]

2/10 - The film has a very anti-Christian and anti-authority message that regardless of what you believe, is intensely creepy and over the top. These girls scream of trying to be edgy and unorthodox, but are plainly typical and incredibly annoying. Truly, I have never hated characters as much as I hated these girls. They just drove me up the wall. I hate the two lead girls and the nonsense they talk about and the way they act. The whole thing is so unsettling, cringy, and weird. I am shocked to find out this one had the level of acclaim it did.

[Image: 220px-Creed_poster.jpg]

8/10 - Though an imperfect film, Creed is the perfect boxing film. If I were to envision the best possible product of the majesty, mystique, and intensity, brought to the table by boxing, Creed captured it all. From the brilliant walk-out music (the great soundtrack in general), the training, and absolutely stunning fight choreography and cinematography, Creed has it all. The non-boxing parts can feel a bit disjointed at times and then of course it has classic Rocky cheese, but it does enough to honor the original, while going out on its own. Ultimately, the fight for respect faced by Adonis "Donnie" Creed is a similar one faced by the film as a whole. Fortunately, it is entirely successful in forging its own legacy thanks to the fantastic direction from Ryan Coogler (I would be hard pressed to name a better new director right now) and phenomenal performances from Michael B. Jordan and Sylvester Stallone. Overall, Creed is a great film on its own, but an absolutely phenomenal boxing film.

[Image: 220px-U-571_movie.jpg]

7/10 - U-571 has a lot going for it. Now, it may not be the most historically accurate film ever made, but is certainly damn good entertainment. Incredibly tense and thrilling, there is rarely a moment you are not clinging to the edge of your seat for dear life. The tension built by director Jonathan Mostow certainly pays off too, with a great third cast. Additionally, the sound in this film is fantastic. It nearly surrounds you and would be a fantastic film for IMAX nowadays. The cinematography is also very good, as is the cast led by Matthew McConaughey, Harvey Keitel, and Bill Paxton. Now, U-571 certainly is not a groundbreaking film in any way, but that does not mean it is bad. Quite the opposite actually, as it manages to entertain throughout even if the path it takes it quite familiar.

[Image: 220px-Star_Wars_The_Force_Awakens_Theatrical_Poster.jpg]

8/10 - The Force Awakens is a great film. Not only does it brilliantly set up Episodes VIII and IX with some great story material, it has some great characters. Finn, Rey, BB-8, Poe Dameron, General Hux, and especially Kylo Ren, are some seriously great characters. Even more, John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Oscar Isaac, Domhnall Gleeson, and Adam Driver, are fantastic actors and do a great job here. I cannot wait to see where the series goes from here. JJ Abrams does a great job blending new and old here by giving diehards the nostalgia they crave and giving the new generation the new adventures they crave. The writing was strong and the special effects were out of this world. The score was great, but should not win the Oscar for Best ORIGINAL Score due to just being a copy-paste of previous Star Wars scores with some new tracks alongside the ones of old. My main problem with Episode IV and then the prequels were the whiny characters and thankfully that is not the case here. At no point are they whiny and this really elevates the film. I think much of the criticism in regards to characterization and story are kind of stupid admittedly because this is the first of a trilogy. Of course nothing feels explained or fleshed out...there is nearly five more hours of story to be told.

[Image: 215px-Movie_poster_the_terminal.jpg]

7/10 - The Terminal is not exactly the most original film in terms of structure, nor is it the most daring Spielberg-directed film in existence, but it is still really good. Incredibly funny and cute, The Terminal features a great performance by Tom Hanks that really exceeds the overall quality of the film. It is incredibly safe and adverse to taking too many risks, but still manages to be an interesting look at this man's life in an airport after a crisis in his home nation leaves him stateless. Regardless, it is very entertaining and can be quite charming and moving at times in ways that only Spielberg films can. Somehow, that movie magic is still present in this film set solely in an airport terminal.

[Image: 220px-Hotel_Rwanda_movie.jpg]

9/10 - Incredibly impactful and powerful, Hotel Rwanda is a brilliantly crafted film that really hits the viewer quite hard thanks to great writing, storytelling, and a phenomenal performance from Don Cheadle. Without Cheadle's performance, the film would still be very good, but his performance elevates it into the stratosphere of "great" films. The film, at every turn, leaves you on the brink of tears with its power as it pulls the back the cover on the Rwandan genocide. At no point did Rwanda receive the level of help they needed from the Western world, which is truly tragic and is touched on repeatedly throughout the film. An absolute indictment of the West and those who let this atrocity happen, Hotel Rwanda is just the Rwandan Schindler's List. It is far more than that and, honestly, may be just as good or better than that film. Cheadle is phenomenal and he truly commands the screen in Terry George's breathtaking and important film.

[Image: 220px-Far_from_the_Madding_Crowd_%282015_film%29.jpg]

7/10 - I love a good period piece and Far from the Madding Crowd certainly checks off all the boxes as to why I do. Great acting? Yep. Romantic? You bet. Gorgeous cinematography? Oh my yes. The only thing holding this one back from being better is that it feels a touch drawn out at two hours. Though not necessarily slow, the pay-off and ultimate conclusion do seem obvious, but gets pushed back further and further. It could be shorter and get to the point quicker. However, as it stands, Far from the Madding Crowd is a ravishingly gorgeous film with fantastic cinematography, production design, and costume design. Additionally, Carey Mulligan is phenomenal in the lead role and her male counterparts certainly match her performance, especially Matthias Schoenarts. Far from the Madding Crowd is everything I want from a British period piece, even if it is not the best one ever made thanks to the great direction from Thomas Vinterberg. An ultimately satisfying film.

[Image: 220px-The_Big_Short_teaser_poster.jpg]

8/10 - The Big Short starts off a little odd, but by the time it ends, the beginning makes more sense stylistically and you are left feeling almost empty. Watching the financial collapse happen almost all over again is a gut wrenching experience that The Big Short turned into the best time I had in the theater all year. Honestly, The Big Short may be the most entertaining and informative films I have watched in a film. Unique in its storytelling, entirely subversive, and odd/quirky, The Big Short is a great time and does a great job explaining its, at times, complex story. At no point do you feel lost or confused by its complex terminology, because it always bring it to the point where you can understand exactly what is happening. Even more, it is hysterically funny at times. Truly, it skewers its villains and twirls the knife with glee, though it does certainly leave its protagonists seeming more than a little morally and ethically ambiguous. Ryan Gosling and Steve Carell are absolutely phenomenal here. Christian Bale and Brad Pitt are also very, very good in their roles. Director Adam McKay manages to exceed all expectations with his directorial ability here and, honestly, I am not sure who else could have pulled it off with such a complex and unique way of telling this tale. The Big Short is not the best film of the year, but is certainly a contender for funnest film of the year.

[Image: 220px-Once_%282006_film%29poster.jpg]

7/10 - One of the most magical and romantic films to be released in a while, Once is a phenomenally enjoyable journey that sweeps you up in its mystique and wraps you up in a great hug. I don't know what that means, but it just does. Trust me. The acting is great and authentic. John Carney's direction is very natural and really contributes to the authentic feeling of the film. The music is absolutely gorgeous and entirely infectious. Watching the music come together is fantastic. I also like the narrative structure, which is not there at all. Yet, I like that. Though it can feel a little directionless and feels incomplete, it is essentially designed as a slice of life film. Of course it does not feel complete. Though not quite a great film, Once is still wonderfully crafted and a truly enjoyable experience for a viewer. You will struggle to not have these songs stuck in your head for a long time after viewing.

[Image: 220px-Slow_west_poster.jpg]

8/10 - A slow-building, expertly directed western, Slow West is one of the most underseen films of 2015 and features fantastic writing and direction from John Maclean, as well as fantastic performances from Michael Fassbender and Kodi Smit-McPhee. Largely derivative of many past westerns, Slow West does enough to separate itself from better westerns by taking some twists and turns along the way that really do surprise you. Even more, the great acting really makes this one stand out from the pack and, even if its story is familiar, makes it worth watching. The cinematography, production design, costume design, and music, are also all fantastic and really do a great job capturing the beauty of the setting and setting the tone for the film. On the whole, Slow West is a fantastic put together little film that will entertain if you enjoy slow-building westerns.

[Image: 220px-To_Have_and_Have_Not_%281944_film%29_poster.jpg]

8/10 - An absolute classic, Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall are both fantastic and have fantastic chemistry in Howard Hawks' To Have and Have Not. Great writing, great characterization, and all-around impressive direction, combine to ensure that To Have and Have Not stands the test of time. A classic in every sense of the word, the film is just as good as it was when it came out.

[Image: 220px-Thetreeoflifeposter.jpg]

10/10 - The Tree of Life is truly brilliant. Both visually stunning, thematically powerful, and emotionally moving, it really has everything. The storytelling can feel a bit distant and the plot both aimless and directionless, but it truly makes sense for a film about the meaning of life. As with all Terrence Malick directed films, the acting is not prominent, but Brad Pitt and Jessica Chastain are both fantastic, as is Hunter McCracken. The film is one of the most beautiful ones I have ever seen in many ways, both visually and thematically. A rubix cube type of film that can be broken down in many ways, it ultimately means different things to different people. For me, it ultimately symbolized our lack of control in life and how we must make amends with this in order to truly experience the best life has to offer us. Regardless, The Tree of Life is a phenomenal film that is brilliant in every facet. I cannot recommend it enough.

[Image: 220px-TheKillingPosterKubrick.jpg]

8/10 - A brilliantly crafted and wonderfully entertaining film, The Killing stands amongst director Stanley Kubrick's best films. Though lacking the glitz and glamour of his later work, it shows his trademark ability to, well, make great films. A more down-to-earth film, it is brilliantly directed and written and also very well acted. The plan is lays out is very interesting to follow and watch take place and really wraps you up, especially when you see how it all turns out. Overall, The Killing is a fantastic time that may be 60 years old, but goes to show that great films never truly age.

[Image: 220px-WALL-Eposter.jpg]

9/10 - WALL-E is a brilliantly animated film from Pixar that underscores all that make their films great and touches you in a special way. While the subtext is not exactly subtle in any sense of the word, it is still a great message. However, where this film really blows you away is in the characterization of its robot protagonists and the way it makes you feel their emotions. A truly romantic and epic journey of two robots who fall in love, WALL-E is incredibly adorable and powerful, all while the world surrounding the robots is entirely lethargic and barren. While the message of the film is good, this relationship and the way they make them come to life without either robot speaking a single word absolutely stunned me. Additionally, it did a great job blending what appeals to the kids and what appeals to the adults very well and made a very family friendly film that will leave everyone feeling satisfied. Overall, WALL-E is a fantastically made and incredibly powerful film that will leave you wanting to get up off the couch and sit down and watch a movie with lots of dancing and singing.

[Image: 220px-The_Hateful_Eight.jpg]

7/10 - Quentin Tarantino's blood-soaked eight film, The Hateful Eight, is truly everything one can expect from a Tarantino film. Gratuitously violent and intensely over the top at times, The Hateful Eight is incredibly Tarantino-esque throughout, so much so, it even includes references to his own films. Incredibly masturbatory at times, The Hateful Eight is still a very good film that is beautifully shot, features a great score Ennio Morricone, and great performances from Walton Goggins, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Demian Bichir, and Tim Roth. As a whole, the entire cast is great, but those were just the performances that stuck out to me. The film is just as violent as one would expect from a Tarantino film, but as always, it is incredibly stylish and so over the top, it does not feel as bloody as it is, though this film will definitely leave you sitting in awe a few times from the suddenness of the violence. Overall, not my favorite Tarantino film, but I do like it more than the Kill Bill's and Django Unchained.

Just watched Room

Holy shit my feels

10/10

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

Straight Outta Compton: I really enjoyed the story and thought the performances were all great (except maybe minus the person who played Dre, he was just alright). Only complaint is the ending is a bit abrupt from my perspective and you need to understand the history of NWA/rap at that time a bit to understand all the characters.

8.5/10

[Image: giphy.gif]
[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
ShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUk
Player Page || Update Page

[Image: 220px-Bone_Tomahawk_Poster.jpg]

7/10 - Bone Tomahawk is a dark, menacing horror western that really knows how to build tension and have it pay-off fantastically. Patrick Wilson, Kurt Russell, Richard Jenkins, and Matthew Fox, are all great in this one and really have chemistry as a group. The mysterious savages who are causing havoc on their town and on the frontier as a whole are a truly terrifying group and really have no problems making you entirely terrified of them. The film is also really well shot and has a good score that fits both the western and horror genres. My main problem here is the graphic and, really, unnecessary violence. The film is very good, but gets hampered by its apparent willingness to make its audience violently ill. There is truly no call for that and I should not have to see what this film put me through. As an overall picture, however, Bone Tomahawk is a very well executed film that really blends horrors and westerns quite well, while also managing to be endlessly captivating.

[Image: 220px-Lovely_bones_ver2.jpg]

4/10 - The Lovely Bones has a lot going for it, but the more I thought about it, the more I truly came to dislike the film. The cast, led by Saoirse Ronan, is great. In particular, Stanley Tucci is phenomenal and really captures the perfect vibe and mannerisms for his character. Mark Wahlberg and Rachel Weisz are also good here. Additionally, the film is really well shot and the premise is very good. The special effects are also well done, but are really where this one starts to die. The special effects are wasted continuously on scenes that are simply not needed and add nothing to the film. In fact, they only serve to make the film dumber with their nonsense. The film's very base logic argues against itself, leading for a very troubling message to arise that it is okay to kill somebody for revenge and it is the only way to get into heaven. Numerous characters are so poorly written it hurts. Hell, most of them do not even need to be here. They themselves are fluff. Filled to the brim with fluff, the film continues to hurt itself by having scenes where character's motivations make no sense and an absolutely absurd romance. Overall, The Lovely Bones is far too pretty to completely disregard, plus Ronan and Tucci make this one well worth your time. However, as a piece of cinema, it is serious lacking.

[Image: 220px-Ladyinthewater_pos_gal.jpg]

5/10 - Eh, Lady in the Water feels better than this, but this rating also feels a tad generous. I do not really know. On the surface, the story is incredibly dumb, many things occur that are incredibly far-fetched, and the film even (ironically, but stupidly) explains itself and story structure. The characterization is odd and people are far to willing to accept that this sea nymph stuff is legit. However, if you look at as a fable, it does come together better and makes you suspend some of that belief. Even better, it really makes you feel something and has a great message in it. However, some of the character actions are incredibly dumb. I think critics took this one purposely due to the characterization the critic, so I feel as though their reactions were a little too harsh, but Lady in the Water certainly stops short of being good, even though I wish it was better.

[Image: 220px-2015_Focus_film_poster.png]

6/10 - Focus is slightly above average. What it lacks in plot cohesiveness, it more than makes up with its stylish direction, charismatic actors, and compelling twists and turns. Though the twists and turns can be kind of annoying after a point, however, so that is not a major plus, but they do work for the most part. Truly, this one is incredibly sleek and sexy as a thriller, but also manages to have enough humor and quality one-liners to make it passable as a comedy. When watching Focus, however, it is hard to take your eyes off of Margot Robbie, who really knocks this role out of the park, as does Will Smith. Without their coolness and charisma in the lead roles, Focus would be a far lesser film and they really exude the right type of personality to convince you of damn near anything, as conmen should. Overall, Focus is not a great film, but is quite well made and is just stylish enough to overcome its many shortcomings.

[Image: 220px-Its_A_Wonderful_Life_Movie_Poster.jpg]

3/10 - I did not expect to hate this one as much as I did, but here we are. It is still better than the ever racist Gone with the Wind, but It's a Wonderful Life sucks in a very special way. Overly sentimental, overly long, poorly acted, poorly written, a horrifically dumb premise, poor execution of that dumb premise, and a facade of small town America that rings entirely false, the film tastes like a bad piece of meat that winds up giving you food poisoning. While meat is great and the piece still looks good, you are shocked to find out along the way that it is actually awful and reeking havoc on your inner organs. It's a Wonderful Life greatly reminds me of this. It is a painfully dumb and painfully slow film that made me feel violently ill with how awfully structured and put together it is. However, it does redeem itself briefly with the final message, but even that scene with everyone caroling comes off as incredibly fake and highly improbable. No suspension of disbelief was created for me in this film because I already thought the premise was absolutely braindead. How this became a Christmas classic I will never know, especially because it is not even a Christmas movie. Just because it occurs during Christmas, it does not make it a Christmas movie. This one is as Christmasy as Die Hard and that film is also not a Christmas movie. Regardless though, It's a Wonderful Life is the type of film that needs to be taken out back and shot.

[Image: 220px-RatatouillePoster.jpg]

8/10 - Featuring Pixar's trademark heartwarming story, Ratatouille is a brilliantly voiced, brilliantly designed/animated, and incredibly well-written film that really warms your heart and keeps you entertained throughout. With just light reliance on the occasional comedic element, Ratatouille is a wonderfully imaginative tale about a rat who dreams of becoming a chef. A story of both following your dreams to the fullest and that your surroundings and who you are do not define, but rather what you do with them, Ratatouille is entirely moving. It also manages to avoid being heavy handed throughout, which is definitely a plus. As a whole, Ratatouille is so brilliantly animated, it really wows you with the stuff they were able to pull off. An absolute Pixar classic, this one is both extremely entertaining and touching.

[Image: 220px-One_Hour_Photo_movie.jpg]

7/10 - A creepy and slow-building chiller, One Hour Photo is unnerving and hard to watch at times due to how creepy its main character is. Brilliantly, portrayed by Robin Williams, this film perfectly captures the creepy outsider who starts to try and meddle his way into a family he has observed for a long time, thanks to the them having him develop all of their pictures. As he gets closer and closer, the tension builds and builds and this one truly takes some weird and creepy turns that I did not expect, but all the same, it winds up being a very compelling psychological thriller that really gets you going and serves as a great character study thanks to the subtle, yet brilliant performance from Williams. Well directed, well shot, and well written, One Hour Photo is not a great film, but it is certainly one that will hook you in and creep you out, which is all you can really ask for.

[Image: 220px-Toy_Story_3_poster.jpg]

9/10 - Marvelously animated, Toy Story 3 brilliantly channels what made the originals so great, while adding in enough new experiences, both toy-wise and life-wise, to make the film just as fresh and relevant as ever. Fantastically crafting excitement, new characters, and emotion, Toy Story 3 is a joyous experience that matches the quality of the originals and brilliantly grew up with its audience. Not only is the animation wonderful, but so is the writing, direction, and voice acting, all of which perfectly characterize its characters and entertain the audience at the same time. Overall, Toy Story 3 is fantastic film that exemplifies all that makes Pixar great.

[Image: 220px-Attack_The_Block_2.jpg]

5/10 - Attack the Block fell short of my expectations as a whole, but did have many positive traits. What it lacked in good characterization and in storytelling ability, it made up with its ability to make you laugh and be thrilled, but especially the later thanks to its brilliant creature design. Though not a horror film, it certainly feels like one in the way it builds tension and really delivers a great pay-off for that tension. Now, the writing for those scenes is very strong, but scenes in which the characters merely interact fall flat and just annoy the viewer. It is also awkward in the sense that it crafts characters we do not like, then tries to make us feel bad for them by the end. Additionally, its plot seems a bit too fortunate and unlikely in the way it ultimately turns out. All the same, the science fiction element of this is expertly crafted and shows serious skill, even if the non-science fiction elements fall flat.

[Image: 220px-The_Iron_Giant_poster.JPG]

7/10 - A wonderfully touching film, The Iron Giant serves as a showcase for director Brad Bird's talent with animated films and also has a very moving message at its iron core. Magnificently animated and voiced, The Iron Giant really progresses nicely, even if its story is a little frenetically paced at times. Additionally, I wish more of the character motivations and backstories had a bit more depth, because as is, it felt very cartoonish with vague motivations and just needlessly evil characters (who are bloodthirsty too?). So, this odd and poor characterization does detract from the film a bit, but the rest is so touching and wonderfully crafted, it is impossible to ignore. It stops short of being great, but The Iron Giant is a good animated film that really keeps you entertained and invested in the events of the film.

[Image: 220px-The_Revenant_2015_film_poster.jpg]

8/10 - Unrelenting, incredibly brutal, and incredibly intense, The Revenant is a fantastic film that will deserve its accolades richly. Sucking every inch of beauty out of the Alberta setting, cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki has done something incredible in this film; every shot is beautiful. Rarely has there been a film so luciously gorgeous, but Lubezki has done it. This may honestly be one of the prettiest films I have ever seen. The direction from Alejandro Inarritu is fantastic and epic vision for the film certainly came to fruition. A brilliant modern day epic, the film's makeup is also incredible and the acting from Leonardo DiCaprio under this makeup is phenomenal. He does not say too too much, but he does not have to in order to deliver one of the year's best performances. Tom Hardy and Domhnall Gleeson are also phenomenal and almost threaten to steal the show at times. Overall, a brutal epic, The Revenant is a tad long and can be slow in parts, but with brilliant thematic elements and the best cinematography in a film in a long time, the film is a wonderous cinematic achievement.

[Image: 220px-DopeTeaserPoster.jpg]

7/10 - Dope is a hip-hop infused coming of age film that manages to both be funny, stirring, and poignant, all while getting into some sketchy situations in the gang-infested Inglewood, California. Starring Shameik Moore is a fantastic lead performance, the film has some great acting performances from not just Moore, but also Tony Revolori, Kiersey Clemons, Zoe Kravitz, Blake Anderson, ASAP Rocky, and Keith Stanfield. Very well-written, the plot can be a bit outlandish and is ultimately the main detraction I have for the film. It is simply too neat and tidy to be seen as ringing true. However, the situations our protagonist finds himself in and the overall message and themes presented by the film are incredibly important and certainly resonate quite strongly as you watch this one unfold. The characterization and writing of the characters is why I commend the script and the way it unfolds. The plot is secondary and the real stars are our protagonists, who are wonderfully crafted and certainly ring true. An interesting coming of age film that blends together many different genres (kind of like hip-hop) into one compelling piece of entertainment, Dope is a good film that really demonstrates the talents of its cast and its writer/director Rick Famuyiwa.

[Image: 220px-71_poster.jpg]

8/10 - The conflict between the Irish and the British, as well as the Catholics and Protestants on the British Isles has been presented before, so this film covers well-traversed territory, but it does not prevent it from still being a great film. Jack O'Connell is marvelous in this heart pounding tale of a British soldier caught behind enemy lines and the efforts of many to get their hands on him. Brilliantly directed by Yann Demange, the tension is palpable throughout and the suspense is fantastic. Though taking place outside, the film is almost claustrophobic in a way, given the way O'Connell's character feels trapped on all sides and does not know where to turn. The Troubles have always been able to be turned into great films and '71 is no exception, as this one is not so much a war film as it is a thriller and a darn good thriller it is.

[Image: 220px-Dial_M_For_Murder.jpg]

8/10 - A certified classic, Dial M for Murder is quintessential Alfred Hitchcock and shows his skill for suspense and mystery. Though we know the real story of what is going on, it really makes you think throughout and it is captivating to see how the characters piece it all together and figure it out for themselves. Though Grace Kelly's acting left a bit to be desired, the film as a whole showcases why Hitchcock is a master of suspense in this largely shot in one room film. The whole film is really well done and the plot is incredibly compelling and it really works as a whole. Overall, Dial M for Murder is a truly great film that may have aged a touch, but is still phenomenal.

[Image: 220px-The_Voices_film_poster.png]

6/10 - The Voices serves as a great platform to Ryan Reynolds to show off his skill and he really takes that opportunity and runs with it. He is phenomenal in a truly unhinged and chilling performance. He plays the mentally ill psycho very well and almost convinces you it's not an act. The film is kind of funny, but operates better when it focuses on the psychological aspect and really offers some interesting viewpoints on mental illness and the thoughts of the everybody in the world as well. It is actually an interesting film in that regard, but the final scene is where it truly goes off-the-rails. That final sequence that stretches into the credits is one of the worst things I have ever seen and really took the air out of the rest of the film. It was so bad, in fact, it made the film as a whole suffer. Fortunately, it is a really fun and horrifying time made all the much better by the fact that Reynolds is truly engrossing as the lead.

[Image: 220px-Rango2011Poster.jpg]

8/10 - A fantastically fun and wild animated film, Rango is definitely not your typical PG-rated animated film. A bit more vulgar and adult than other animated films, much of the film is incredibly derivative of old westerns (especially Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns, as well as an homage to Depp's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas) and as such, it may not really be the thing most kids want to see. Regardless, it does manage to be uproariously funny at times and had me in stitches at a few times. The voice cast, including Johnny Depp, Isla Fisher, Ned Beatty, Abigail Breslin, Alfred Molina, Bill Nighy, and Timothy Olyphant, is splendid and really knocks the ball out of the park. The film is also wonderfully animated, directed, and written. Above all, Rango is a great time that really is a treat for the eyes and for lovers of the western genre.

[Image: 220px-Queen_of_Earth_Poster.jpg]

8/10 - It is hard to say why I like Queen of Earth as much as I do. The film is sort of like that person you are romantically involved with who you love, but they refuse to let you in and there is this distance between the two of you and an air of mysteriousness. This film, if you were try and touch it, would squirm away disgustingly, but then come and hug you instead. Queen of Earth feels influenced by The Shining to me, just in the general feeling it gave, not necessarily in plot because story-wise they have no similarities. However, the general feeling it gave me was similar and also the fact they both portray a descent into madness against the backdrop of a vacation spot. I feel as though this film drove me crazy, as I found myself dying of laughter as it ended, but confused as to what I found so funny. A brilliantly crafted and wonderfully odd and disturbing psychological thriller, Queen of Earth features great performances from Elisabeth Moss and Katherine Waterston, as well as great direction from Alex Ross Perry. Though I love it and immediately wanted to watch it again after it ended, this is truly a film I would never recommend to anybody.

[Image: 220px-True_Story_poster.jpg]

5/10 - True Story is entirely underwhelming. It is honestly the type of film that ends and make you wonder if that was really it. The story, as is, is quite captivating and really gets you hooked in, but it is so poorly told and then just kind of...ends that the movie never rises above being just something you spent an hour and a half watching. It truly is a film that redefines mediocre and average. Jonah Hill and James Franco are fantastic, but get stranded in the sea of mediocrity and, though they try their best, the film is just so mediocre in the way it communicates with you that their performances go to waste. As an overall picture, True Story just gets in its way too much and its muddled method of telling you the story will leave you largely confused and scratching your head as to where the compelling premise and story went.

[Image: 220px-45_Years_%28poster%29.jpg]

8/10 - I have not cried because of a film in a long time, but man did 45 Years ever get to me. Holy moly this film is powerful. A stirringly emotional look at marriage and the nature of love as you age, 45 Years features phenomenal lead performances from Charlotte Rampling and Tom Courtenay. Though it is slow and deliberate, the film never drags and really always grips you as you watch it all unfold. The film is interesting in the sense that thought it focuses on Rampling's character, it really provides an astute look at how both men and women look at relationships, in particular at how they progress as the years go on. Wonderfully written and directed by Andrew Haigh, 45 Years is a phenomenal film that deservedly netted Rampling an Oscar nomination, but I do wish it had received more.

[Image: 220px-Timbuktu_poster.jpg]

8/10 - A stirring and incredibly timely film, Timbuktu may be a bit too slow for many moviegoers, but if you can dig it, you will find one of the best films of 2014. Brilliantly written and incredibly emotional, Timbuktu is incredibly well-directed and its heartbreaking story will resonate with everybody, no matter your stance on the Middle East and the issues surrounding it. By all measures, Timbuktu is an astonishing achievement from director Abderrahmane Sissako that does a great job of putting a face to the people of these oft-forgotten nations. As it often brought up in the film, you must realize these are people with children, just like people here. These kids are the center of their worlds and though their surroundings can be crazy at times, the people there are truly victims of the situation and deserve to be seen as such. Overall, Timbuktu is an impeccable well-made film that also really stirs you up emotionally and the end result is a fantastic piece of cinema.

[Image: 220px-Up_%282009_film%29.jpg]

4/10 - Did I watch a different movie from everyone else? The one I saw was a boring, unimaginative 90-minute film that left me completely numbed from boredom. The only thing preventing from hating this one is the incredible voice performance from Ed Asner and the fantastic animation, as always, from Pixar. However, the rest really left much to be desired. I hated the beginning and did not find it sad in the least. It was cute sure, but I hate montages. This one is no different. It is a major storytelling cop-out and, as a result, it never resonated with me when the end result was revealed. Even more, that wound up being the best part of the story, which is truly astonishing. After creating this real, believable world, it delves into the absurd, stupid, and incredibly dumb (talking dogs?). The film felt so manufactured and manicured, it seemed to me that Pixar had found a formula they thought worked and could plug any story into. Tragically, it did not work with Up as it felt entirely fake and, as such, that prevented me from feeling any sort of emotion. I thought it would be this sad, funny, and entirely charming, experience, but instead I was left feeling incredibly annoyed as I waited for yet another lame attempt at a joke and some juvenile talk on the emotional impact of losing your spouse. Just let the damn house float away you moron. Plus, I have to ask; wouldn't Russell's mother wonder where the heck her son went? How can this old man, who is shown to be unable to do much of anything, be so agile towards the end? Just the magic of being around an annoying child? Anyways, Up is massively overrated. Though technically brilliant and Asner is a complete delight, so it is not all for naught, but I wonder if I watched a different film. The one I had had the worst storytelling of any Pixar film I have seen, felt completely contrived, and lack any sort of emotion. Instead, it was a dumb adventure romp that felt fake. Yes, I know Toy Story is about talking toys, but it feels real. Here, it felt like a bad parody of other Pixar films.

[Image: 220px-Trainwreck_poster.jpg]

6/10 - Trainwreck is a mixed bag, but I definitely liked it more than I did not. When Amy Schumer is doing her whole "lol I have sex and have a vagina" act, it is not funny at all. In fact, it is almost painful. However, I love the commentary on what that means about her that is had throughout the film and the larger problems it likely reveals. In that regard, the entire relationship with Bill Hader's character is fantastic and feels real and authentic. Their problems and approaches are really relatable for most people and the film handles it very well. While I love the emotional aspect of the film, the comedic aspect really peaks with John Cena and LeBron James. Every scene those two are involved in is hysterical and a real riot. I do not like Amy Schumer's comedy and I was ready to hate this one, but this film has a real charm that sweeps you in and it avoids turning into just another raunchy sex comedy. Instead, it is a smart sex comedy that has some interesting commentary on relationships and sex. Amy Schumer is pretty good here, though I loved Tilda Swinton and Brie Larson the most here. Both were phenomenal and really stole the show.

[Image: 220px-Mongol_poster.jpg]

7/10 - Mongol is quite a good film, but does feel a bit incomplete, largely because the rest of the planned trilogy has yet to come to fruition. As a stand alone film, it is technically brilliant and wonderfully acted. However, I did feel as though the direction could have been a bit more inspired. As is, Mongol was glacially slow at times and was a little too eager to have CGI blood effects. That being said, of course, Sergei Bodrov's direction of the battle sequences was fantastic, but the film really does a great job painting a picture of who Genghis Khan was before he became Khan. If something deserved to see its trilogy come to fruition, it is most certainly this film as it would honestly help bolster this one up a bit if it was able to be analyzed as merely one piece of a series. However, as of right now, Mongol is still a really good film that was a bit too slow, but brilliant characterization and acting really elevate this one to a different level.

[Image: 220px-Joyfilmposter.jpg]

6/10 - Joy has a lot going for it that ultimately makes me like it more than not, but it is undeniable that this is a deeply flawed film. For starters, Jennifer Lawrence and the entire cast is phenomenal. Many claim Lawrence did not deserve her Academy Award nomination, but my God did she ever. She was stupendous. Not my favorite performance of the year, but certainly up there. Bradley Cooper and Robert De Niro were also quite good. Additionally, the pacing was fine, the film was always captivating, and the story had some very good comedic moments that had the whole theater in stitches. However, that is about where it ends. Yes, Lawrence's acting is good enough to outweigh everything else, namely the story. The story and the way it was written is deeply flawed. Based on a real woman, I have to assume the real story could not have been that bad that they had to Hollywoodize everything. Not only does Joy's story follow the traditional character arc and story structure a little too well, it just feels so fake. Even more, much of it designed to remind you of how strong a woman Joy is. I get that she is strong and independent, but I do not need a reminder every five seconds. I have no issue with strong women, but a film about one does not need to keep reminding you of such. Instead, it should demonstrate it. However, this is a sin the film commits quite often, as it often tells rather than shows, namely in the form of its narration. Entirely useless, the narration here is a major cop-out and is used solely to have forced exposition and connect scenes together. The script finds ways to get worse, however, as all of the characters are one-dimensional. Real humans do not act this way, let alone ones allegedly based on real ones. In particular, Joy's half-sister seemed to cruel and mean, yet there has to be more to her tale than the film let on. Ultimately, Joy is compelling, funny, and incredibly well-acted by Jennifer Lawrence, but its story handicaps it throughout.

DAZZLING

I'm a huge movie buff and I must say, I do agree with most of your opinions and ratings but not all. Overall, I would not have the writing ability nor the time to do what you've done here and for that, you are amazing. Keep up the work and I can't wait to see your thoughts to come.

[Image: vk6rzYl.jpg]

Spangles not liking Up, proofs that he is a soulless ginger.

[Image: hallsy.png]

@Rowe89 Thanks, glad you like them!

@McJesus I'm not a ginger though. I love Pixar, but Up really, really disappointed me. I can feel emotion, but Up did nothing for me.

maybe i havent been checking in on this thread that much, but i love reading spangs reviews. keep it up and post more often. also Mathias Chouinard for VHL HoF Wink Tongue