Official 2012 NHL Offseason Thread

Quote:Originally posted by Alex@Jul 4 2012, 11:42 AM

panthers made the playoffs last year.
they werent a cup contender.

Yeahthat

Quote:Originally posted by Alex@Jul 4 2012, 12:42 PM

panthers made the playoffs last year.
they werent a cup contender.

They made the playoffs, that's all it takes. Get a couple of breaks to go your way and the cup could be yours.

Quote:Originally posted by HockeyGod@Jul 4 2012, 12:42 PM

With a 3M cap space.

You speak as if that'll be the case for the entire time.

They're definitely going to win the cup with a guy like this

[Image: hvpg8l.png]
[Image: 107820631.jpg]

Quote:Originally posted by Sponges@Jul 4 2012, 11:43 AM

They made the playoffs, that's all it takes. Get a couple of breaks to go your way and the cup could be yours.

So more than half the league are cup contenders? Nah I don't see it that way

the way i define a cup contender is a team that has a very solid chance of winning the cup.
not a team that needs all the breaks to go their way.

Quote:Originally posted by HockeyGod@Jul 4 2012, 11:42 AM

Yeahthat

Koivu isn't a superstar, Setoguchi is the type of player that needs his team to be good to be good. Compare him with SJ and now with MIN

He went from scoring clutch, big goals to falling on his butt on a penalty shot.
.....Setoguchi is a comfortable 2nd line winger with 1st line upside when hes hot, but he can be streaky. Heatley is the same, but with 1st line skill and with the right linemates, can be unreal.

And Koivu is a superstar in my eyes. MIN's forward depth is solid, high scoring players in the top 6, physical gritty guys in the bottom six. Defense is bad but Suter will be playing 30 mins. Not to mention they have Backstrom and also Harding resigned, a beast goalie tandem which will back that weak D up big time. Conference finals potential IMO.

You speak as if that'll be the case for the entire time.

Not for the entire time, but I'd say they'd have to trade either Heatly/Koivu to free up some space but, I don't think Heatly is worth as much as he was two seasons ago and Koivu well I don't think he's leaving until they win a cup.

Quote:Originally posted by Phil.B@Jul 4 2012, 12:44 PM

Yep. 16 teams wind up with a chance to win the cup. You get a hot goalie and some good offense + defense work and you can win a cup. Based on your view, neither NJ or LA would've been cup contenders, yet both made the finals.

Quote:Originally posted by Alex@Jul 4 2012, 12:45 PM

the way i define a cup contender is a team that has a very solid chance of winning the cup.
not a team that needs all the breaks to go their way.

Would you have called LA a cup contender entering the playoffs?

These guys already had one the brightest futres in the NHL with Granlund,Coyle,Dumba etc coming through the system. They might not be legit contenders this season but they will be for years to come

I predict they finish 5th or 6th face the Blackhawks or Stars and lose in the first round.

Every single year I look at the teams that cracked 100+ points as the cup contenders, very seldomly does a team go on a miracle run as a bottom two seed and win the cup like the Kings did.

[Image: eyM9Y3U.png]

[Image: 2gotrRl.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Phil.B@Jul 4 2012, 11:44 AM

Potential Cup Contenders ya. Did anyone expect NJ to go all the way? Nope, LA weren't even favourites, anything can happen so everyone has the potential to be cup contenders, some have more potential than others.

Where does Semin go? And Doan, I say Doan goes to the 'Peg.