Create Account

Official 2012 NHL Offseason Thread

Matt Carle to Tampa Bay, 6-yrs/33mil

Quote:Originally posted by Sponges@Jul 4 2012, 08:25 PM
Matt Carle to Tampa Bay, 6-yrs/33mil
Contracts right here and the Suter/Parise and everyone on Why Burke is such a smart GM.

Quote:Originally posted by Dion.SoDmG@Jul 4 2012, 09:26 PM

Contracts right here and the Suter/Parise and everyone on Why Burke is such a smart GM.

Why?

Hes handed out plenty of awful contracts lol.

Quote:Originally posted by Dooley@Jul 4 2012, 08:28 PM

Why?

Hes handed out plenty of awful contracts lol.
But they arent long. Connolly i could live with. but Komi i still dont understand to this day why he overpaid. You gotta listen to all of Burke's interviews to understand what im trying to say.

Quote:Originally posted by Dion.SoDmG@Jul 4 2012, 09:30 PM

But they arent long. Connolly i could live with. but Komi i still dont understand to this day why he overpaid. You gotta listen to all of Burke's interviews to understand what im trying to say.

yea i agree, he also repeatably mentions that lots of team overpay for guy and that he will upgrade the leafs C and G position Trade. Although burke has made some errors he still has made the leafs alot better then what they were 4 years ago.

Quote:Originally posted by diglet@Jul 4 2012, 08:36 PM

yea i agree, he also repeatably mentions that lots of team overpay for guy and that he will upgrade the leafs C and G position Trade. Although burke has made some errors he still has made the leafs alot better then what they were 4 years ago.
exactly. Fill those positions through trade which he is absolutely good at. Fuck overpaying for Free Agents... You must have listened to Prime Time Sports yesterday Tongue

Quote:Originally posted by diglet@Jul 4 2012, 10:36 PM

Unfortunetley he really hasn't. We are eactly where we were 4 years ago when he took over. You could probably say our future is brighter now but we most definetly are not better then we were 4 years ago

tons of GMs dont overpay for FAs.
just sayin

Quote:Originally posted by Dion.SoDmG@Jul 4 2012, 09:30 PM

Komi, plus dont forget the cap hell he left us in with the Bertuzzi and Schneider deals in Anaheim.

Quote:Originally posted by Secord@Jul 4 2012, 08:39 PM

Unfortunetley he really hasn't. We are eactly where we were 4 years ago when he took over. You could probably say our future is brighter now but we most definetly are not better then we were 4 years ago
future is brighter for sure. But you have to admit he has brought in some good prospect and built a good pool. Look at our prospects from 4 years ago who was even relevant? lol.

Quote:Originally posted by Dion.SoDmG@Jul 4 2012, 10:43 PM

future is brighter for sure. But you have to admit he has brought in some good prospect and built a good pool. Look at our prospects from 4 years ago who was even relevant? lol.
He has improved our prospect pool but the on ice product basically is the same as it was when he took over, I still think Burke can get the job done but his tiem here so far has been a failure, lets hope for everybodys sake that the Leafs take huge leaps forward the next 2 years but right now I don't see the Leafs as anything other then a buble team.(Barring some miracle trade for a 1C that isn't happening)
It's sad but true

Quote:Originally posted by Secord@Jul 4 2012, 09:39 PM

:lol: What? I definitely think we are, explain why you think that.

Quote:Originally posted by Witz@Jul 4 2012, 09:49 PM

:lol: What?  I definitely think we are, explain why you think that.
top 5/10 picks year after year

Quote:Originally posted by Witz@Jul 4 2012, 10:49 PM

:lol: What?  I definitely think we are, explain why you think that.
4 years ago we were a fringe playoff team, what exactly are we now?

Quote:Originally posted by Alex@Jul 4 2012, 09:50 PM

top 5/10 picks year after year
Ok well when you look at standings then ya i see your point, but on paper we have improved a ton while getting a lot younger. In 4 years, Burke has brought in a #1 Dman (Phaneuf), an elite top line scoring winger (Kessel), put together a top 10 prospect pool, and acquired more quality depth up front (bottom six wise). We just need that #1 C, you could say we need a goalie but its more a want, Reimer will shock next year IMO.

All of this, + we are the youngest team in the NHL (or right behind the Oilers).

People tend to look at the negatives, he still has a good amount of work to do ahead of him but he has the pieces to make it work, i think Burke has done a really solid job and i would resign him no doubt, even if we miss the playoffs this year.