Create Account

Official 2012 NHL Offseason Thread

Quote:Originally posted by Secord@Jul 4 2012, 08:51 PM

4 years ago we were a fringe playoff team, what exactly are we now?
It usually takes 5 years to rebuild, Burke is entering his 5th i think he is doing a good job. If there isnt playoffs this season then i'll call him a bad GM.

Quote:Originally posted by Witz@Jul 4 2012, 09:53 PM

Ok well when you look at standings then ya i see your point, but on paper we have improved a ton while getting a lot younger.  In 4 years, Burke has brought in a #1 Dman (Phaneuf), an elite top line scoring winger (Kessel), put together a top 10 prospect pool, and acquired more quality depth up front (bottom six wise).  We just need that #1 C, you could say we need a goalie but its more a want, Reimer will shock next year IMO.

All of this, + we are the youngest team in the NHL (or right behind the Oilers). 

People tend to look at the negatives, he still has a good amount of work to do ahead of him but he has the pieces to make it work, i think Burke has done a really solid job and i would resign him no doubt, even if we miss the playoffs this year.
agreed.
but as far as on-ice performance, the leafs havent improved with burke as GM

Quote:Originally posted by Dion.SoDmG@Jul 4 2012, 10:53 PM

It usually takes 5 years to rebuild, Burke is entering his 5th i think he is doing a good job. If there isnt playoffs this season then i'll call him a bad GM.
I'm not calling Burke a bad GM or saying I think he should be fired. All I am saying is that up until this point our team really hasn't improved from where it was before he was here. Yes it is a young team and it could make the jump but we have been hoping for that for 2 years now. In 4 years I would have liked atleast some improvment from the actually on ice product. I was excited for a rebuild but a rebuild should not take 5 years just to make the playoffs.

^ agree with both.

#agree

Quote:Originally posted by Dion.SoDmG@Jul 4 2012, 10:38 PM

exactly. Fill those positions through trade which he is absolutely good at. Fuck overpaying for Free Agents... You must have listened to Prime Time Sports yesterday Tongue
I would much rather sign Parise and/or Suter to those deals then have to pay the hefty price it would take to get Nash and say...Weber. Also, its harder to trade for a top center, it'll cost you more then Nash...depending on who you think a top C is Wink

Quote:Originally posted by RedGibby@Jul 5 2012, 01:05 AM

I would much rather sign Parise and/or Suter to those deals then have to pay the hefty price it would take to get Nash and say...Weber. Also, its harder to trade for a top center, it'll cost you more then Nash...depending on who you think a top C is  Wink
Might as well run with Bozak again for another season as he is getting better each season. Getzlaf and Perry to Toronto FA 2013 anyways. We all know it will happen if Anaheim shits the bed this year again. :ph34r: Wink

Quote:Originally posted by Dion.SoDmG@Jul 5 2012, 03:26 AM

Might as well run with Bozak again for another season as he is getting better each season. Getzlaf and Perry to Toronto FA 2013 anyways. We all know it will happen if Anaheim shits the bed this year again.  :ph34r: Wink
How do you sign someone at the pride parade again? I seem to have forgotten. Tongue

If Toronto gets them, then Detroit gets Edler and Enstrom or Whitney B)

Krys Barch signs in New Jersey. Ugh...

[Image: eyM9Y3U.png]

[Image: 2gotrRl.png]

Really hope the Devils get Semin, apparently his agents are in New Jersey right now. I could see Semin wanting to play here, he gets to play with Kovalchuk and on a lesser note Volchenkov as well. I would like to see a Kovalchuk - Zajac - Semin line.

[Image: mhx9xd.jpg]

Make it happen Lou [Image: pray.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by Brandon@Jul 5 2012, 12:57 PM
Really hope the Devils get Semin, apparently his agents are in New Jersey right now. I could see Semin wanting to play here, he gets to play with Kovalchuk and on a lesser note Volchenkov as well. I would like to see a Kovalchuk - Zajac - Semin line.
What's Zajac like? It might not work great to have two mostly pure goal scorers on the same line (If I remember correctly, Kovalchuk is that).

Quote:Originally posted by LX_Theo@Jul 7 2012, 01:21 AM

What's Zajac like? It might not work great to have two mostly pure goal scorers on the same line (If I remember correctly, Kovalchuk is that).
Zajac is a good playmaking center, plays a really good two-way game as well. I could see Semin fitting really well into our forechecking style of play with those two, and if Kovy and Semin down mesh we can always put him on a line with Elias and Henrique instead.

Quote:Originally posted by Brandon@Jul 6 2012, 10:27 PM

Zajac is a good playmaking center, plays a really good two-way game as well. I could see Semin fitting really well into our forechecking style of play with those two, and if Kovy and Semin down mesh we can always put him on a line with Elias and Henrique instead.

Semin can't forecheck though

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Brandon@Jul 7 2012, 12:27 AM

How is NJ's coach with whipping the lazy players into their best game potential? Because if not you can say gooddbye to Semin's forecheck ability.