Create Account

S54 WFT #4 - Playoff Race

I think that the Manhattan Rage is going to beat the Wolfpack into the playoffs. Rage belongs on the ice, because there's a bunch of mean angry hockey Bois on the ice every game. If there was a Wolfpack on the ice at a hockey game animal control would come in and shoot them. Therefore Manhattan belongs in the playoffs and New England belongs in the woods.

[Image: x7WZYBT.gif]
[Image: hTAHbeC.png][Image: OaCJVMI.png] | [Image: pMYriGC.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2020, 10:52 AM by SAwful.)

Race to get a single point:
Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - 0 points, 14 games remaining Barracuda

Nah, I don't think they'll get there. It's bad and they should feel bad. I'll be honest, I don't think anyone expected them to be quite this bad, but here we are, wondering if they'll even eek out an overtime loss or something....

[Image: 6cs4t2B.gif]

[Image: SAwful.gif]

[Image: 4NkSjIm.png]  ||  [Image: 7bttGDC.png]

Armada  ||  Uk  ||  Wolfpack

1.I think the race for first place in the east has been locked up by Buffalo. It's sucks because in my eyes Chicago, Buffalo, and us are the best three teams. Was really hoping to see Buffalo and Chicago duke it out.

06-17-2020, 08:40 PMhotdog Wrote:
Race for the last playoff spot, Eastern Conference: 
Rage Manhattan Rage - 50 points, 11 games remaining Rage
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - 45 points, 12 games remaining Wolfpack

The playoff race in the East sure is an interesting one this season and I would argue that it is a lot closer than the 5-point difference right now makes it look. New England has a game in hand and they have proven how dominant they can be last season if only they find their groove. Manhattan on the other hand has basically taken the opposite route, underperforming last year but now doing a lof better in the second season on FHM. And all this is overshadowed by the Johannes Leitner saga and his vendetta against his former team so just for the sake of the extra spiciness that might come out of this, I would hope for New England to lose out against the Rage because I definitely wanna see the Leitner article about that...

Race for the last playoff spot in the SHL Western Conference:

If I had to pick the team that is going to win that last playoff spot I would have to go with my very own Calgary Dragons. While many may think this is a biased pick they have one of the highest tpe teams in the league and have a veteran well experienced core. The Dragons have a super star goalie with Kata Vilde and have all of their defenseman over one thousand tpe. In addition they have pretty much all their forwards at nine hundred tpe or more and a couple who are also over the one thousand five hundred tpe mark. On paper this team should definitely be a playoff team however so far in the season the Dragons are currently sitting in fifth place looking in from the outside of the playoff spot one point back of Texas with one more game played. While many would think Calgary is in a tough spot and may not make the playoffs, I think they still got a great chance as they have been on fire with their scoring having one hundred and thirty two goals so far which ranks second best in the western conference.

However where they have been lacking is in the defensive end letting in way to many goals with one hundred and twenty seven which ranks third worst in the western conference. The Dragons are going to need to tighten up defensively and pay more attention to their play in their own end if they are going to make the playoffs. Never the less, I believe that they can do this and that their veteran experienced group will find a way to make it into the playoffs. I also see the Texas Renegade’s inexperienced young core not being able to pull through in these critical games against more experienced opponents and do not think that the San Francisco Pride have enough depth or fire power to make it into the playoffs in comparison to the Calgary Dragons. All of these points makes me believe that the Dragons should be the favorites to take that last playoff spot but then again I could be wrong.

Finally here are my predictions for the end of season western conference standings based on the final total points:
1: Los Angeles
2: New Orleans
3: Edmonton
4: Calgary

Word Count: 405

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars

The Barracuda are 0-40. That's phenomenal. I don't think I could assemble a team that bad if I actively tried. That being said, I think they get their first point in the form of an OT loss - against Toronto. Honestly, I think they're incapable of beating any other team. They're so bad.

To have Texas fighting in a tight playoff race isn't something many of us are used to in recent seasons in the first place, but I think they surprise everyone even more and break into the playoffs this season as the 4th seed in the west. The team is full of heart and determination, and Kvalheim is leading the team with an MVP caliber performance.

[Image: DrbPYHV.png] [Image: UDyqktK.png]

I'm going out on a controversial limb here, but I think Tampa is going to get that point Damn it. Not only is it a statistical improbability that they don't score a point all season, but having been born and raised in Florida, I feel obliged to pull for them.

[Image: Spicy_Funko.jpg]
Player Page             Update Thread

The Tampa Bay Barracuda is bound to get one point. It would be silly if fhm didn’t. Statistically speaking, it doesn’t have to happen (gamblers fallacy) but it should.

[Image: badwolf221B42.gif]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2020, 01:51 PM by kenvald.)

Race for the #1 seed, Eastern Conference:
Stampede Buffalo Stampede - 62 points, 12 games remaining Stampede
Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks - 56 points, 13 games remaining Steelhawks

I have had Buffalo winning the President's Trophy since before the season even started. Their team stands out about as much as the New England Wolfpack did in the previous season. Buffalo has an amazing all-around team. Their offense is among the best, if not the best, in the league. While they have not scored the most goals(they are in 3rd) their offense feels the most complete to me. 90% of their players have over 20 points. No other team comes close in that regard. Especially not Hamilton. Nothing against Hamilton though, I believe they have the best coaching crew in the league. But they will not be able to pass Buffalo this time.

Race for the last playoff spot, Eastern Conference
Rage Manhattan Rage - 50 points, 11 games remaining Rage
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - 45 points, 12 games remaining Wolfpack

Now this one is a little tougher to predict. A single sim day could easily turn this around and have NEW above MAN in the standings again. Between the two teams, New England has absolutely conquered Manhattan this season. The Wolfpack went 6-0-0 against the Rage, so from this we can see that NEW is really the better team when only comparing the two against each other. However, New England has had a little more problems with their goals against so far. And that is what is really holding them back from last season's greatness. Their offense is top-notch but they have lost many games by 1 or 2 goals where they outshot their opponent by at least a dozen.

In the end I believe New England will take the final playoff spot. They have an easier schedule to close out the season and their defense and goalie have kept improving as time has passed. They are the better team and deserve the playoff spot.

Race for the #1 seed AND the last playoff spot, Western Conference
Specters New Orleans Specters - 51 points, 13 games remaining Specters
Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - 50 points, 10 games remaining Blizzard
Panthers Los Angeles Panthers - 50 points, 13 games remaining Panthers
Renegades Texas Renegades - 46 points, 12 games remaining Renegades
Dragons Calgary Dragons - 45 points, 13 games remaining Dragons
pride San Francisco Pride - 44 points, 13 games remaining pride

Now this is a fun one. The West is crazy close and almost anyone can still take the #1 seed. First I'm gonna say that I do not believe Edmonton will take the #1 seed. They are at the top, but with 3 fewer games remaining than the other teams in the list they are too far behind on potential points.

I'm going to focus mostly on the remaining strength of schedule for these teams. They are all very good so if we put them up against each other we might as well just roll a dice to guess who will make it. Here are my estimate of the final standings in the West:

1. Los Angeles Panthers Panthers
The Panthers have the easiest remaining schedule among the teams in this list. But what stands out the most is the fact that they also had one of the toughest schedules in the league up until this point. Even with this in mind, the Panthers are only 1 point away from the #1 and with 13 games left to play I think they will end this season strong enough to grab 1st place.

2. New Orleans Specters Specters
The Specters are a great team so I definitely believe they will stay at the top of the West, but I do not think they will get to keep their 1st place spot til the end. This does not have anything to do with the Specters themselves, but instead more about the fact that I think the Panthers are the better team that will finish strong. NOLA have a tough last few games, but nothing they can't handle.

3. Texas Renegades Renegades
Relatively to the other teams, Texas does not have a really tough or easy schedule for their last 12 games. But it is gonna be easier than what they have played up until now. Texas has really good defense and goalie numbers, but their offense really needs to pick up to get them above the 3rd place I'm expecting them to end up at. Their 1st line is doing great, but the 2nd and 3rd lines need to step up. Still, I believe they can crawl ahead of Edmonton for 3rd.

4. Edmonton Blizzard Blizzard
Like I said earlier, Edmonton is not getting the #1 seed this time around. But they will still make the playoffs. They have the least amount of games left to play, and they have one of the toughest schedules. It will be real close between Texas and Edmonton in the fight for 3rd.

5. San Francisco Pride pride
SFP will just miss the playoffs this season. They have an easier schedule coming up to close it all out, but Edmonton has enough of a point lead as of now to stay above the line. The Pride have a better defense than Calgary, which is why I think they will overtake the Dragons.

6. Calgary Dragons Dragons
Calgary will stay below the playoff line until the season ends. While they have a strong offense, their lacking defense and bad "goals against" numbers does not match well with their final schedule which is not easier than many other teams in the West.

Race to get a single point:
Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - 0 points, 14 games remaining Barracuda
The Tampa Bay will indeed get 1 point before this season is over. They have three upcoming games against Toronto and the only reason they do not have the easiest remaining schedule in the league is because they can't play themselves. Tampa has shown that they can score 1,2,3 goals in multiple games, and all they need is to take one game to overtime. Improbable? Yes. Impossible? No!

[Image: sBUQCq8.png]

Past Players

I, biasedly, think New Orleans will grab 1st place in the west. Based on their recent record of winning most of their games as well having games in hand on a lot of teams or at least even with them at worst they have every opportunity to pull off first place. As long as Cain can get get hot again at the right time they should be strong down the stretch.

[Image: thedangazone.gif]

I don't think the Barracuda are gonna come away with a point. They do tend to sneak in an OTL in most of the test sims I've done, but I'm going to counter that and say even the other worst teams in the league are head and shoulders above TBB and they'll go winless in this reality.

They do have 3 remaining games vs. Toronto so if there's ever a time, those are it!

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2020, 02:48 PM by fishy.)

OKAY DEEP DIVE ANALYSIS TIME FOR WEEKEND FUN TIME TO DETERMINE THE PLAYOFF SPOTS FOR THE EASTERN AND FOR THE WESTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFF RACES. LETS GO. (26 words)

For this, and because work is hella boring, I wrote out each team's remaining schedule, and assigned them wins/losses (no OTLs were given out) depending on their opponent, their previous record, and other games to be played.

1. Buffalo
(31-6-2, 11 games left)

Win vs Min
Win vs Ham
Win vs Min
Win vs Cgy
Loss vs Edm
Win vs Tor
Win vs Bap
Win vs Tex
Win vs Man
Loss vs Chi
Win vs TBB
9-2 to end season
Projected final record: 40-8-2, 82 points, 1st seed

2. Hamilton
(28-8-2, 12 games left)

Win vs sfp
Win vs min
loss vs buff
win vs tor
win vs edm
win vs bap
win vs nola
win vs lap
win vs tbb
loss vs new
loss vs chi
win vs new
9-3 to end season
Projected final record: 37-11-2, 76 points, 2nd seed

I didn't project OTLs or anything since those are so random to begin with. The HAM-BUF game is a complete toss-up, with either team having a chance to win. A win there would go a long way to Buffalo locking up the 1 seed and the President's Trophy, while a win for Hamilton would bring them within two points of Buffalo with 8-9 games left to be played. At that point, anything can happen. I have BUF losing one more game to EDM to stay aligned with their 80% winning percentage, while I have HAM losing an additional 2 games to finish 9-3 in their last 12, which is in line with their .763 winning percentage. Obviously this could change drastically, but I would expect both Buffalo and Hamilton to finish with at least 9 wins in their remaining 11/12 games.

for the western conference I have;

NOLA going 7-5, 67 points
LAP going 7-5, 66 points
EDM going 5-4, 64 points
TEX going 6-5, 58 points
CGY going 6-4, 57 points
SFP going 6-5, 56 points

so NOLA is the 1 seed, LAP 2, EDM 3, TEX 4, CGY 5, SFP 6.

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

I don't see any reason why Buffalo should lose their lead on 1st in the league, 6 points is a pretty sizable gap and I think they'll continue their dominance.

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page

Buffalo has 1st in the East essentially locked. Mathematically it may not be until the ~3 games remaining, but I expect both Buffalo and Ham to lose 1, maybe 2 more games at the most and it feels highly unlikely that Buffalo loses 2 and Ham loses 0, and that would just be for them to tie, so Ham would also need tiebreakers in their favor.

[Image: On57CfR.gif]
  Knights Usa Stampede Patriotes Inferno Argonauts Aurora Renegades Stampede