Create Account

Remove or Adjust the Juniors Cap

04-05-2022, 12:04 PMRashfordU Wrote: What if 5th Season J Players had to revert back to their 350 build if they wanted to stay in the SMJHL?
I like this. Maybe the reversion only takes place if they’re active though? since it’s a choice in that regard

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

04-05-2022, 12:51 PMboom Wrote:
04-05-2022, 12:04 PMRashfordU Wrote: What if 5th Season J Players had to revert back to their 350 build if they wanted to stay in the SMJHL?
I like this. Maybe the reversion only takes place if they’re active though? since it’s a choice in that regard

Just leave the forum for 4 months? Sold lmao

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

I think @spooked mentioned it, but to me I always envied the STHS era stories of people being called up to the SHL in their 3rd season at 500 TPE and actually contributing. Clearly under that scale and simulation a 500-800 TPE player wasn't so far off from the 1600-2k TPE players. Also, as I understand it players were effectively maxed at 1600 TPE and getting to 2k TPE was purely to fight regression (correct me if this is wrong).

IMO the easy fix to a lot of the SHL's problems is to massively change the scale to reflect something closer to the above. Players can be "effectively" maxed at 1600 TPE (maybe getting to an attribute to 20 costs like 100 TPE or something), high earning young players can participate in the league, and mid earner types can have a real place in the league.

[Image: BirdmanSHL.gif]

Jean-François Bokassa
Armada

Proud Father of Johnny Wagner-Svenson

[Image: unknown.png]
Sven Svenson Career Stats

Sweden Raptors pride

04-05-2022, 01:10 PMLordBirdman Wrote: I think @spooked mentioned it, but to me I always envied the STHS era stories of people being called up to the SHL in their 3rd season at 500 TPE and actually contributing.  Clearly under that scale and simulation a 500-800 TPE player wasn't so far off from the 1600-2k TPE players.  Also, as I understand it players were effectively maxed at 1600 TPE and getting to 2k TPE was purely to fight regression (correct me if this is wrong). 

IMO the easy fix to a lot of the SHL's problems is to massively change the scale to reflect something closer to the above.  Players can be "effectively" maxed at 1600 TPE (maybe getting to an attribute to 20 costs like 100 TPE or something), high earning young players can participate in the league, and mid earner types can have a real place in the league.

Well there was also only like 5 stats that w tually really mattered in STHS(Scoring, Passing, Defense, Puckhandling, Skating), so it was a lot easier to contribute. I think the scale change that happened already helped with it. Also ontop of it with TPE inflation people are getting to 600/700 tpe easily enough and contributing. Could it be better? Sure. But rookies in STHS had a lot easier time getting points because of the engine itself.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

04-05-2022, 01:10 PMLordBirdman Wrote: I think @spooked mentioned it, but to me I always envied the STHS era stories of people being called up to the SHL in their 3rd season at 500 TPE and actually contributing.  Clearly under that scale and simulation a 500-800 TPE player wasn't so far off from the 1600-2k TPE players.  Also, as I understand it players were effectively maxed at 1600 TPE and getting to 2k TPE was purely to fight regression (correct me if this is wrong). 

IMO the easy fix to a lot of the SHL's problems is to massively change the scale to reflect something closer to the above.  Players can be "effectively" maxed at 1600 TPE (maybe getting to an attribute to 20 costs like 100 TPE or something), high earning young players can participate in the league, and mid earner types can have a real place in the league.

The scale is already bad enough for people on the higher end of the scale. Ratcher have j players start on a higher TPE than fucking up the scale even more.

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

I wouldn’t call a massive scale change an easy fix, but..

The roadblock for TPE tweeners has more to do with roster space + available player pool. There’s almost always going to be some sort of plug player you can get in IFA bidding that has a substantial TPE advantage over almost any SMJHL eligible player.

Teams aren’t quite finding themselves in cap space scenarios where they find value in cheap, tweener talent. So where’s the incentive for playing a young prospect when you can afford a significantly better alternative in free agency (or acquire for cheap in trade)? The development curve is completely unaffected by playing in the J. And from the player’s perspective, why force a rush? You likely get paid more to be a send down since your team can negate most of your cap hit with the J send down allowance of $2m per player. Forcing your way up before your non-waiver status expires might potentially make your team worse and draw the ire of your teammates. Forcing your way up likely means playing in a lesser role, like playing 3rd line minutes and no special teams instead of the top 6 role and PP/PK time you’d get in the J? After all, this is a video game we are playing and we want to see gaudy numbers and player success.

We can solve this problem. But there’s no single, simple fix for it.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]
[Image: KPt6Yuu.png]

04-05-2022, 12:51 PMboom Wrote:
I’d rather see it for both active and inactive.  I don’t think inactive players should carry more value than an active player

[img=0x0]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/889201044154904606/1150524829653536909/mikko.png?ex=65bff03f&is=65ad7b3f&hm=7f3229285f883239ca6017785e905ed3ff0a8b42b94f57638f43c11a5e635414&[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/4028.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5431.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5570.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7241.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5906.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/6149.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7950.png[/img]
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2022, 01:55 PM by WannabeFinn. Edited 1 time in total.)

I promise it’s not as much of a TPE cap problem as it seems in the present moment.

Across the 20 SHL teams, we have 16 available spots for users (minus the backup goalie spot). That’s 320 roster spots up for grabs. According to the player tracker tool, we have 318 players in the SHL ~700 TPE or above. We literally have nowhere else to put these prospects and they’re flooding some teams with 425 capped builds.

55 players in the J have 500+ TPE. There be no room.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]
[Image: KPt6Yuu.png]

Been out of the J management game for a hot minute now so I'm not super up on the exact details on salary cap rules etc, but I think the TPE cap reverting for 5th year players as a disincentive is probably good competitively but probably less so for user experience. There are always people who create and have good intentions and maybe even stay active in the LR but don't grow into SHL viable players, and that's ok (hell I've been there in other sim leagues). They might want that fifth year before taking a break or recreating since a recall isn't an option and I think stripping people of TPE is a bit sketchy (although I'd be fine with it for true inactives). One thing that can achieve competitive balance real quick (I've said this for a long time in the SHL too) is making cap hits and the salary cap matter. Capped AFAs/IFAs should cost more so there's an actual counterbalance to the benefit of gaining extra time with a capped player. If a team can't afford to keep all their AFAs, they can go elsewhere and help a different team. Whatever changes need to occur to salary structure and the cap itself to force teams to make tough choices, it's an important consideration. Forcing top end teams to have to mix in a few shitty IAs and getting good AFAs/IFAs on weaker teams with roster/cap space helps parity. I don't remember the salary cap mattering when I GMed Detroit, can't speak to how much cap pressure there is now, but I really think that's one way of putting a squeeze on super teams

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

Double all J TPE, move up regression even more. Live fast, die young.

[Image: steveoiscool.gif]

i volonteer quebec as a team cut, thank you for coming to my evok talk

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

04-05-2022, 02:00 PMnotorioustig Wrote: Been out of the J management game for a hot minute now so I'm not super up on the exact details on salary cap rules etc, but I think the TPE cap reverting for 5th year players as a disincentive is probably good competitively but probably less so for user experience. There are always people who create and have good intentions and maybe even stay active in the LR but don't grow into SHL viable players, and that's ok (hell I've been there in other sim leagues). They might want that fifth year before taking a break or recreating since a recall isn't an option and I think stripping people of TPE is a bit sketchy (although I'd be fine with it for true inactives). One thing that can achieve competitive balance real quick (I've said this for a long time in the SHL too) is making cap hits and the salary cap matter. Capped AFAs/IFAs should cost more so there's an actual counterbalance to the benefit of gaining extra time with a capped player. If a team can't afford to keep all their AFAs, they can go elsewhere and help a different team. Whatever changes need to occur to salary structure and the cap itself to force teams to make tough choices, it's an important consideration. Forcing top end teams to have to mix in a few shitty IAs and getting good AFAs/IFAs on weaker teams with roster/cap space helps parity. I don't remember the salary cap mattering when I GMed Detroit, can't speak to how much cap pressure there is now, but I really think that's one way of putting a squeeze on super teams

This actually sounds like it has potential. I'd love to see some kind of balance in this facet, especially now that we have an engine that rewards activity and building up on high TPE players that much more than STHS could have.

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2022, 04:01 PM by Zoone16.)

1. Get into the SHL Draft
2. When SHL GMs come knocking tell them "I want to go up after 2/3 seasons" (I've both times said 3 seasons hard max).
3. Sign a contract of that exact length when drafted.
4. If they don't want to well there's another SHL team somewhere that'll take you.

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2022, 04:26 PM by Tomen. Edited 1 time in total.)

It also depends where in the STHS era you are prior to like S35 or something most SHL teams would only have actives on the top 2 lines and the 3rd lines were mostly IAs (except for top teams). This made it way easier to get better stats when called up, hell if you would be spending max senddown time you'd be almost guaranteed to have your rookie season in the top 2 lines. The SHL just transitioned to have more fuller active teams in the period from S25 to S43. This is also seen by the lack of expansions in that timeframe.

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

5 years in SMJHL = automatic ban

Solved

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]