Create Account

S68 PT #4: Historian Due: December 18th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

Yay SHL history, one of my favorite topics! It's actually great to see what has been done for SHL history over the last few years with the various stat ressources that we've built up, because there was a period in the S40s or so where it feld like a lot of the historical knowledge had been lost, with the old indexes being unbelievable and almost all the people who were there at the time being gone. When looking at the leagues history, people tend to have certain biases and care the most about stuff they were involved in themselves, which is completely understandable. You tend to need that connection either through your own lived experience or your team or a friend or mentor to really connect to a by-gone era. So for me, that era would be the seasons after I joined the league when it felt like member numbers really popped off for a while before the league went into a big of a lull. I joined in S6 and especially the period between S7 and S12 or so saw some of the best people in league history, some of which are still here to this day or occupy top spots in the league leaderboards, join the SHL for the first time. This was also an era when a lot of things changed in the league structurally so those players were able to reach milestones that were pretty much unattainable to those that came before them, so it pretty much marks the start of a new era.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

HOCKEY PROMPT

I think we have to talk about Alexander Ovechkin and his goals here. It is absolutely amazing considering everything that has to go right to be in the position to swing at one of the NHL's total x records. He is as of writing one goal away from tying second place all time. This is without an 18 year old season. This is including the lockout shortened 2012 - 2013 season. This also includes the Covid 2020 season which was ended prematurely. Finally the 2021 Season was reduced to 56 games and compressed. The total amount of games lost already should be enough to make this record unattainable, but it is still realistic he is able to achieve this amazing feat.
Longevity is amazingly important to do something like this. injuries play a huge role because even if you are able to play injured, you aren't at 100% and scoring goals isn't easy.
He is the best goal scorer in the history of the NHL and we are amazingly fortunate to be able to watch his career live.

Code:
180 Words

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2022, 03:09 PM by ajwllmsn. Edited 1 time in total.)

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2022, 03:29 PM by CrazyMojito. Edited 2 times in total.)

HOCKEY PROMPT

One interesting thing I feel like most of the hockey world doesn't know is that the New Jersey Devil's don't play trap hockey anymore. Despite them being one of the highest scoring teams in the early 2000s and transitioning away from the clutch and grab game, I still to this day, hear people talk about how the Devils play the trap and are a boring team to watch.

But lets go back and look at their glory days where they won the cup three times in 9 years and had 4 final appearances. From the 1995-1997 season through the 2000-2001 season the Devils scored 1250 goals. In that same time period, the Detroit Red Wings scored 1279. I know these are cherry picked years and the seasons outside this scope don't fit my narrative but my point remains that the Devils were one of the highest scoring teams during this era with one of the greatest goalies of all time and a stacked defense. How anyone could argue they werent fun to watch I'll never know. They even led the league in 2000-2001 with 295 goals and were runner ups the season before.

[Image: CrazyMojitoSHL.gif]
Canada Blizzard Stars Citadelles Citadelles Stars Blizzard Canada 
[Image: d9J5DHT.png][Image: 16PgOBm.png]

Player Prompt
"So, you're telling me they let a cow play Professional Hockey?"
[Image: qF33A7T.jpg]

[Image: ScottyFresh3.gif]
[Image: QFNCFWS.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: 6QlU4ci.png]

[Image: Untitled_Artwork.png]

[Image: 66168_s.gif]

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

I've always been interested in the history of women's hockey. Everyone is familiar with men's hockey and a lot of the history that comes with the early days of the NHL, but a lot of people don't realize women's hockey has been around almost as long despite its lack of popularity/support. It's not something women have only just started to pursue in the last decade - ladies were out on the ice playing with the guys as far back as the 1880s.

[Image: 1916-A2972-Team-photograph-of-womens-hoc...erta-1.jpg]

Just some random interesting things... one of the first photographs of women getting involved in hockey was of Isobel Stanley playing at Rideau Hall. The first women's ice hockey league was organized in Quebec in 1900. In the 1920's a goalie from the Queen's University women's team wore a fencing mask to protect her face, making her the first hockey player to wear a mask in the game. It wasn't until 1959 that the men followed suit, with Montreal's Jacques Plante being the first NHL goalie to regularly wear a protective mask. Unfortunately women's hockey wasn't included as an olympic medal sport until 1998 - USA won gold, Canada silver, and Finland bronze.

[Image: kyamprac1.gif]
thank you amid, swoosh and eni for sigs! <3

[Image: Puddles_OMiracle.jpg]

[Image: puddlesoduck2.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2022, 08:18 PM by bbjygm.)

Getting help with history
[Image: y5F9Oma.png]

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats
[Image: YZjkK9Q.png] PORTAL [Image: rwqM7d3.png]
Berserkers Elk Falcons Renegades Germany

Stats Pre-S53 || Stats S53+
[Image: yXVPZSm.png] [Image: updates2.png]
Outlaws Switzerland Wolfpack
S53 All-Star and Richan Trophy Nominee
S60 Jeff Dar Trophy Winner
Never forget

So it has finally come to this... I finally have to try and show off how much hockey knowledge I have since I have joined the SHL. I don't know puck, but I like fun facts! So lets start. Did you know that canadians make up around 41% of the player base in the NHL? That's actually kind of surprising, I always imagined it would be a lot more! My boys (Switzerland) also acocunt for 1.3% of the playerbase! so that's 9 players. Another fun fact for you. Nico Hischier is the the highest drafted swiss player in the NHL, when he was drafted in 2017. I think a very interesting thing about Nico Hischier is that he also had only 1 season of playing in North America before being selected first overall by the New Jersey Devils. Nico Hischier was drafted 6th overall to the Halifax Mooseheads in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League improt draft and won the Michael Bossy trophy, which was for the best rookie in the league. So talk about a quick change of pace. Going from not knowing english, to moving to North America to play for Halifax and to learn english all the way to being 1st overall in the NHL draft in a very short time.

Player prompt

Before I start I just want to say I feel attacked that this PT went up before I stopped procrastinating updated the records section of the SHL History subforums. Having thoroughly seen every leaderboard now though, I have to say that as a Chicago homer I love how many of my teammates and I are at the top of the leaderboards. We've got Ryuuji Minamino and Mats Marner as top two in goals for the FHM 6 66 game era, with Minamino also being top of the same era's points leaderboard, and of course my favourite, me as top two of that era's save percentage leaderboard. One thing that I also noticed that is maybe cool or less cool depending on who you ask, is all the more recent players pushing all the older players down the all-time leaderboards. Pretty much every important stat has been higher with FHM than they were with Simon T, so many of the older superstars are listed alongside more average players from now.

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]
Portal
Portal

Hockey Prompt

Two things in the history that I find interesting.

When the Canadiens managed to comeback from a 0-5 lead in the third period and finally won the game in OT against the Rangers. It's already hard to score in the NHL and doing it 5 times in a row is almost a miracle when you're down like that. They were doing it in their own building so the ambiance was incredible. I was watching it on TV and it was incredible, I wish I was there seing it live.

One of the other things that I find interesting, is what could Mario Lemieux could have accomplished if he didn't have that many injuries and with no cancer. His point per game is second in the history with almost no teammates to support him. He was so complete that I think with more help and a good health he would have been wayyyyy higher than 13th overall.

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
 [Image: 5tu6.png] [Image: bdzv.jpeg]

Although this is probably a record that many users are aware of, and isn't really just one record, I think it's cool to recognize the three players who hit 100 points in the FHM6 era. During the 9 seasons where this was possible (S57-S65), the three players to reach the mark were Theo Morgan (102 in S59), Aaron Wilson (104 in S61), and Ryuuji Minamino (106 in S62). Considering many player seasons played during this era and the fact that the top players were always close to the 100 point threshold, it's amazing that only three players were able to accomplish the feat, each putting up 2 points more than the one who beat the mark before them. It's interesting to think about what the FHM8 equivalent of a FHM6 100 point season would look like. Since players are more commonly hitting 100 points now, these three will stand alone as the only ones to reach the mark back when there were fewer points to go around.

[Image: Keven.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic, @Matteo, @sulovilen, @zeagle1, and @TheOPSquid for all the sigs!
Czechia Malamutes Rage Czechia
Canada Citadelles pride syndicate
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2022, 08:25 AM by Cuffy. Edited 1 time in total.)

dbl

[Image: cuffana.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2022, 08:25 AM by Cuffy. Edited 1 time in total.)

The best defensive pairing SHL has ever seen. Jim Lahey and Chris Partlow better known as Parthey. The Texas Renegades brought Jim Lahey to their squad knowing he would be the best player to pair up with Partlow. The dynamic duo helped texas win back to back in S20/21 this was the most fun team ive ever been a part of and also am happy to still be in a groupme with the boys. The defensive pairing werent the only ones who were playimg great hockey we had Jordan Fourfour in Net who was stellar And an offensive group like no other. The Renes were a dominant team those few seasons and a lot of it was because of the defensive duo.  Jim Lahey ended up getting absolutely totaled on the liquor and his career ended up down the shitter and eventually retired from the game of hockey and went back to sunnyvale to run the trailer park.

[Image: cuffana.png]