Create Account

S75 PT#4: Spooky Fat Guy Due: Monday, March 11th @ 11:59 PM PST

Oh man. Here we go again with the dreams and craziness. Now I am able to see a kid that will one day pick up my torch, but how do we know that my torch is worth picking up? What happens if I pull a Kuzy and flame out and end up in the minors? Do we really want that kid to do that?

But to the topic - what would I say to the kid? Would I have some time to think about it? I’m assuming I didn’t go back in time or anything like that so can’t tell him to buy bitcoin. So I guess I’d say something along the lines of keep working hard and you will do great. But everyone says that. So how do I stand out beyond that? Maybe just something good for any kid? Stay in school, stay off drugs, and wear a condom! Classic I know, but good advice.

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

My player does in fact cross train in relation to the normal hockey training that he typically does. First of all, whenever Slurpe can, he goes to his local gym to workout and hit the weights. He prides himself on being strong on and off the ice, which has rapidly effected his on ice performance positivity. With this extra strength, Slurpe needs to make sure that he also has his stamina and cardio is extremely good shape for all the skating he does during the season and also in the off season. Because of this, Slurpe is an avid runner when he can find the time in the off season, he has committed to running three to four long marathons each off season for various different charitable causes throughout the United States and Canada. This running has enabled Slurpe to be able to hit extra gears towards the end of the long seasons and make himself that much more important to his team late in games and in season.

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread

Studies confirm the importance of varying forms of physical activity before the age of 12, and of encouraging specialization in sports only during adolescence. In Ekaterina's native Russia, the approach was quite the opposite, and cross-training was not part of Valieva's childhood athletic plans. Quickly climbing the ranks of the sporting elite in heavyweight lifting at a very very young age, she rapidly developed her muscular structure but had neglected her coordination, agility, ability to read a strategy and team play. After starting to play competitive hockey, she quickly realized that to excel, she had to do more than just hit the opposing goalie until there were no substitutes left. She has often wrestled with bears, but now, for the first time in her life, tries to join sports teams during the summer season. Since the Platoon's elimination, she's been playing for the women's softball B league in a small village in Maryland. Thus far, she has yet to hit an opponent with her aluminum bat.

WC: 172

---
Ekaterina Valieva - Baltimore Platoon
Co-GM - Maine Timber

[Image: ekaterina-valieva-spotlight.png]
Thanks @xjoverax for the sig!

Puddles O’Duck is doing a bit of cross training in the offseason. He recently signed up to play football in the simulation football league and honestly, it’s even easier than hockey. I picked up both sports without ever having played them. I should be considered one of the best defenseman of all time in the SHL and I’m in the running for MVP after my first year in DSFL. I’m not sure why you humans struggle with these sports. They’re rather quite simple. So to directly answer the question, yes, I cross train using football now. If I’m being honest, it hasn’t really helped at all. Hockey is on ice. Football is on grass. Hockey uses sticks. Football uses hands. It’s also not a good cardio or contact training either. I’m a quarterback so I stand back and don’t move or make any tackles. It’s shit cross training, but it’s not not cross training.

[Image: puddlesoduck2.gif]

Wizard does a lot of cross training but he does not do it in a sport actually for he does wayt is called hand coordination training through two methods the first being his magic training as he hopes to he a magician after he retires from his glorious hockey career. He cross trains through cardistry and uses a variety of diffwrent tricks in his arsenal to prep himself for every game in order to best trick the enemies. The other way he does practice can be argued to be a sport and it is esports. He plays a lot of games that consist of magic and a lot of quick reactions in a quick fire game. He plays things like WoW, Overwatch and even CS:GO except there is no magic. He plays on challengers team which is essentially a farm team for the big league teams and he plays as a support player so he can properly learn communication among teammates and use it in hockey games

[Image: IsJIh5s.png?format=webp&width=872&height=1066]

I looked at the child in absolute disbelief. There was something about the ephemerality of his presence that calmed my mind. I could not quite articulate the feeling at the time, but perhaps I can liken it to a near death experience. The child once was me, and the child will become me when my presence has shifted. Have you ever asked yourself; what exactly happens when you die? I think I now know. My consciousness will no longer exist, like water vaporizing in hot air. This child however has his own unique consciousness, and although I cannot be the interpreter of his existence, there is something that draws us together. I know he cannot see me, but like two ships in the night, I am certain that he feels my presence. Perhaps he is thinking about impermanence, uncertainty and the passage of time - but these things are not just concepts but shared experiences. Our lives are parallel. I have but three words to say to this boy. “Micool won cup”…

Written Task: 

From the last PT, it was shown the Lord Raiden really relies on pickleball for alot of different types of training. Stamina, endurance, hand/eye coordination. But Raiden also loves to golf a lot in the offseason. Golf is such a love-hate sport. It requires an incredible amount of discipline to be continuously at the top of your game. But you can also just go out there and mess around and have a blast. More often than not, Raiden plays it to be the best that he can be. So the discipline is a huge factor. It uses golf as a way to look at each shot as a new chance. He does not think about the last shot that had a horrible slice and went far right. It is a way to train your thoughts to not dwell on the negatives and focus on the positives. It also just helps him with his cardio because he walks the entire course.

-161 words

[Image: jumbobone19.gif]

[Image: cEbgUph.png] [Image: 1DL5JDX.png] [Image: vjZu62e.png] [Image: EnHtzQl.png] [Image: NwdnVLP.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM @sköldpaddor @Merica for the Sigs

Sim Wen loves to cross train to get himself in the perfect shape and get better at hockey. Sim Wen is a firm believer that you need to be a multi sport athlete to be sick at puck so he played plenty of sports growing up. He played some baseball to improve his hand eye coordination and ran track to get in shape. Sim Wen's favourite though was training mixed martial arts aka MMA so he'd be able to fight better and beat the hell out of some opponents. He was a brick house of a kid who loved to fight and it's helped him in his young career. People are afraid to fight him and he's in the best shape of his life so he absolutely flies out there on the ice. Cross training for hockey is a key part of developing into a great player which Sim Wen knew well so he keeps it up to this day during the long summers.

164 words

[Image: Jepox.gif]

Quote:Written Task: Does your player cross-train? Do you play other positions, other sports, or any non-hockey-related activity specifically to get better at hockey? If so, what and why? If you don't like talking about your player for these tasks, talk about cross-training for hockey in general.

Jae-ik plays a lot of soccer before games and especially in the offseason when training in Korea.
Playing soccer doesn't directly help with shooting or skating but it's still a sport that involves coordination and tactics.
It is also a sport that helps train endurance which is a skill that Jae-ik prioritizes as someone that wants to play as many minutes as possible.

Other sports that could conceivably help are basketball, football (american) and maybe even sports like baseball and golf.
But nothing beats just practicing shooting, skating, and passing. Even if other sports get close, there's no reason not to just practice the skills that are directly involved in playing hockey. Cross training can help break up the monotony though, that is true.

I don't necessarily think that playing other positions in hockey would be useful enough to do for training. It kind of has the worst of both worlds, where it's not exactly the skills used as a center but isn't enough of a departure to be markedly different than the usual training.

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

Dusty Rhodes is quite big into cross training. In fact his method is quite effective for hockey. That would be doing professional wrestling in the off-season. It allows Dusty to remain in somewhat decent shape but mostly allows him to work on his physicality, that which is hid bread and butter in the shl. Rhodes is already a load to try and remove from the front of the net and his grappling skills serve him quite well in this regard. His strength is legendary and his cardiovascular training is extremely underrated as he can go for quite long shifts on the ice. It also helps him protect his teammates as in wrestling you constantly have to be aware of what's around you and react very quickly to cut off a potential threat to him see or a teammate. So while not the most orthodox method of cross training, it works very well for Dusty. The bonus is the New Orleans fans love it as well and Dusty has raised slot of money for charity this way as well.

[Image: iUd7IJE.png]
[Image: rhodes.png]

With regards to cross training for other sports, Dominik has spoken before about using a lot of his training time to row, something he did when he was younger to work hard and keep himself in shape. It’s a great option to work with to be able to work out a lot of the core muscles that are important for hockey. Legs, core, and back, for example, are all things that are worked heavily in rowing and the ability to work those have significant benefits in playing hockey. Of course, it’s not the only form of cross training that Dominik participates in. The easiest and most obvious form of cross training that Dominik does is to run. It’s not a truly different sport necessarily, but he does take time to work on it and use it to work on his cardio in order to make sure that he would be able to compete and work hard all the way through the game.

WC: 162

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

My first player eko van otter was originally a forward who switched to defense. My second player right now is a defenseman who may soon in the future switch to forward. So my advice to my next recreate may be to pick a position and freaking stick with it!!! It may be harmful to the hall of fame case to keep switching positions. Actually now that I think of it, I should offer this advice to my good friend and co gm golden flutes @goldenglutes because it just so happens that he’s done the same thing!!! Guy zheng was a defenseman who eventually switched to forward and then binko koivu also started out as defense and switched to forward. We need to keep ourselves consistent on our recreates, for all this position swapping takes out some of the realism in the league!! It’s not so common for players to swap like this and here we have it happening 3 or maybe 4 times on the same team!

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

Option 2:

How does Sven get better at hockey? Well the first thing is not limiting himself to hockey during the offseason. Now being paid to play hockey, he still spends a majority of his offseason working on skating and stickhandling, as well as reviewing game tape every other week. That said, he still make sure to work in other sports during the offseason training sessions to make sure his body gets a full workout, as well as give his mind a break from hockey every now and then. To train his hand eye, he'll spend a day with a batting simulator. He'll hit a bucket of baseballs, then throw a ball around with a partner. To work on feet and agility, he'll play some soccer and work on basic drills. Plus the dribbling helps with the soccer before the hockey games. Finally, he'll spend a few training sessions during the summer just swimming, as a way to give his body a bit of rest and fully mentally disengage from hockey for a day.

Sven Holmberg

[Image: hexx55.gif]

[Image: mitochondriafigure1.jpg]
Player Page | Update Page

4 simple words. Don't. Be. A. Goalie.

Why should he not be a goalie you ask? Because it's pain and the TPE does not matter. There is no joy in being a goalie. You are never the savior, only the evil mastermind letting shit through your five hole on a routine basis.

Skaters are far superior. They skate. They hit. The can use their glove on the puck just like a goalie. They get some good excercise in. And most importantly, they get fucking points. Top puck bar down. Lay some wood. Yadda yadda.

And most importantly, if you ever want playing time in the SHL, there are FAR MORE opportunities as a skater, especially with the recent expansion and stuff. Waiting in the goalie pipeline is extremely tiring and hard on the soul.

So to the future star or recreate, please pay attention and be the change you want to see on the ice by not going to Goalie hell.

[Image: b6kz2LW.png]
[Image: CWUfbzX.jpg]

Grondlund competes in many sports, though only one professionally. He spends a lot of time running track and field. Competing in events such as the one hundred meter sprint and javelin. Being a pro athlete is more then just making sure your body is ready. Your mind is a very important part of being the best. As such Grondlund spends a lot of time training his mind. Owning the rank of Grandmaster in chess is a great way to keep the mind sharp. Besides track and field, Grondlund also spends time training in two marital arts. Training in both boxing and kickboxing, Grondlund uses them as a way to train his mind and body. Both styles of fighting aid in his reflexes and split second decision making. Both have trained his eye to react quicker then the untrained. Grondlund believes this is what leads him to getting so many blocks with his hands per seasons.

[img=0x0]https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/external/grUaWFD9ou9EjLV73AFr8OZ5Z5ZgBJHWeh35DDNtFgI/https/i.imgur.com/hQtmi8A.png[/img]
CitadellesCitadelles