Create Account

SHL Draft rights

09-21-2020, 12:38 PMhhh81 Wrote: I have been told that an HO member may have told GMs that unsigned players couldn't be offer sheeted by other teams, even if they don't get a contract. if this is true, it runs counter to the spirit of our rules. I hoped in the rewritten rulebook HO would fix this loophole and provide some clarity. It hasn't happened yet, but I"m hopeful HO's been working on it behind the scenes and they have some updated language soon.

My thought? I rather see players get drafted than go undrafted season after season, even if a team can't offer a contract. I think one year of contract-free ness is okay (not ideal), but 3 years of being immune from getting a contract from any team but the team that drafted you isn't the right way to go. They should be treated as RFAs, and if a team wants to risk an offer sheet, they should be able to to get that player.

There are absolutely roster spots available right now for a 450-600 TPE defenseman in the SHL. If a player doesn't have a contract from their current team because that team doesn't have space, they should be able to sign with another team that can give them both contract and playing time.

Yeah I would agree. If/when the rulebook is reworked, this is a topic where I think we have the opportunity to spice things up and make them more interesting while also helping us with retention for lesser activity players a bit. It is a delicate balance, because we don't want the top-teams who are already at the cap to be able to stockpile too many prospects, but at the same time it sucks to lose members because there is no room for them before they have even hit the SHL, and because GMs have no incentive to work on keeping them active because they know they won't be able to fit them in anyway.

What's most important though and should be the guiding principle when talking about contracts and especially ELCs is that no side should have too much leverage over the other. It shouldn't really be possible for players to force their way off a team that drafted them and that they aren't thrilled about with no repercussions for themselves or their new team, but it also shouldn't be possible for GMs to handcuff their players to the point where we risk losing them as members altogether. Not saying that either of these things are happening right now, but they are crucial to keep an eye on during any reword.

Messages In This Thread
SHL Draft rights - by Duff101 - 09-21-2020, 11:34 AM
RE: SHL Draft rights - by PremierBromanov - 09-21-2020, 11:42 AM
RE: SHL Draft rights - by JNH - 09-21-2020, 11:46 AM
RE: SHL Draft rights - by Count Chocula - 09-21-2020, 06:33 PM
RE: SHL Draft rights - by hhh81 - 09-21-2020, 12:38 PM
RE: SHL Draft rights - by PremierBromanov - 09-21-2020, 12:45 PM
RE: SHL Draft rights - by RomanesEuntDomus - 09-21-2020, 01:23 PM
RE: SHL Draft rights - by boom - 09-21-2020, 02:20 PM
RE: SHL Draft rights - by Sean - 09-21-2020, 04:45 PM
RE: SHL Draft rights - by wumaduce - 09-21-2020, 05:51 PM
RE: SHL Draft rights - by JNH - 09-21-2020, 06:06 PM