Create Account

Allow Goalies to Swap to Skaters at any time

OKAY couple of things here since I promised an actual response

First, I do have concerns about the implications of "swap at any time" from the standpoint of draft integrity. It's no secret that in general, goalies tend to get drafted a little later because it is very rare for numerous teams to need a goalie in any given draft, and I worry that if that position swap can happen at any point, people will immediately use this as a strategy to tank their way to a specific team without that team having to use an appropriately valued asset to acquire them. All other factors being equal, a recreate skater with a track record of max earning is still going to be a more sought-after asset in a draft than a recreate goalie with a track record of max earning.

As always, this is not to say that I don't want people to be able to end up on the team they want to play for, but just as I've always said in regards to free agency/waivers/etc in the J, I don't care if you want to play for only one team, I just want that team to have to pony up an appropriately valued asset to make it happen. Being able to switch at any point opens up a huge potential for abuse; getting to draft a max-earning player in the late second round because you were the only one who knew they were going to be switching from goalie to skater as soon as you call them up, that's a pretty big OOF to me from a valuation of assets standpoint. And I know you say it's unlikely but we already have people utilizing other means of "tanking" in drafts (telling teams they'll retire if they get drafted somewhere, telling teams they're going to be J lifers, delaying claiming stuff to make their value appear lower, etc) so I don't really have any reason to think this would be any different.

THAT SAID, I've seen a couple people already mentioning a couple of the other options we've been talking about in HO for the "goalie problem" - cap/tier adjustment type stuff is something we've been kicking around. Nothing actually decided yet, but stay tuned on that front, because it's definitely something on our radar as a possibility.

We don't want bot goalies, I will put that to rest right now (or at least I will promise that I will fight that kicking and screaming to the very end if it ever becomes a serious consideration, which it definitely has not yet). People want to play goalies. We know that. Even now, with the goalie player experience being not great, people still want to play goalies. Goalies are important in hockey, not just from a stats perspective, but as a fundamental part of the culture of the game, and I absolutely loathe the idea of taking away that option. We just want to fix it and make it so it's more fun.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

Messages In This Thread
RE: Allow Goalies to Swap to Skaters at any time - by sköldpaddor - 12-21-2022, 02:56 PM