Create Account

State of the Russian Federation: Goaltenders
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2023, 05:21 PM by leafsftw1967. Edited 1 time in total.)

04-11-2023, 05:05 PMDuff101 Wrote: Google Guantanamo Bay if you want a tropical island spring break vacation spot next year! I loved my time there!

Also like I know Afghanistan ended like a yearish ago but like… shit was not pretty over there, neither was Iraq and that was all during most of our lifetimes. The point is not whataboutism, the point is that bringing real life governments into this makes things complicated and really hard to separate and if you really wanna never have this problem again I think the only logical solution is replacing IIHF or limiting it to fake countries because we never know when this will happen again.

Like Hockey Canada did some pretty vile things recently, not genocide but things that are very clearly beyond the pale of what is right, and yet their emblems continue to be used here. By your logic isn’t that insensitive or potentially insensitive to survivors of sexual assault?

My point was that Russian symbolism/association tied to acts of genocide occurring in Ukraine honestly makes me feel really uncomfortable. I tried to explain how it has had a direct negative impact on my experience of the site due to my person life to demonstrate why I have been making efforts to reconsider the SHL's association with Russian symbolism. I tried to relate it to other forms of discrimination that have been addressed on this site previously including racism, homophobia, and sexism so that people can try to understand unless you have directly experienced a specific type of discrimination it's really hard to fully understand what someone is truly feeling (ex: to tell someone their feelings are ridiculous or silly just further reinforces the need to consider other's lived experiences when making judgments).

Getting into a political debate about historical atrocities around the world is really just sidetracking the main point of the discussion about a request to consider how Russia's current actions and the site's association with Russian symbolism used to commit war crimes are impacting members on the site (tying it back the SHL's push for inclusivity of all identities and the promotion of it being a safe space).

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars

Messages In This Thread
RE: State of the Russian Federation: Goaltenders - by leafsftw1967 - 04-11-2023, 05:20 PM