Create Account

State of the Russian Federation: Goaltenders

The International Ice Hockey Federation puts on a tournament every season, with many of your favourite nations putting together teams of Simulation Hockey League players and battling it out to be the very best in the world. All of these nations have a leader, both on the ice and in the board room, and I am lucky enough to be the new board room leader of the Russian Federation. It is a nation with a long history in this league, and have won 7 medals, including 2 Golds, in 47 tournaments. A winning percentage of 0.464 is certainly not bad for a country that has long had a hard time recruiting new members compared to smaller (in land mass) countries, but there is room for improvement.

And that's why I am here.

Today we are going to look at our goaltenders, and at the same time, promote Russia in a legally binding way.

[Image: cut-2.jpg?resize=640%2C376&ssl=1]

GOALTENDERS

S60 - Zhen Roza Steelhawks
Russian Career - 17GP - 6W - 6L - 2OTL - 2.84GAA - 0.906SV%

The starting goaltender for a long time, Evgeni Petrov, has retired, which means a new goaltender is going to have to step up for the S70 tournament coming. Zhen Roza is an inactive goaltender who backs up in Hamilton and has a career 17 games played on the world stage since debuting in S64. Roza is not the long term solution in net for Team Russia, but could be the only option. The numbers that he's put up in limited minutes is promising, but the fact that he is not going to get any better is very concerning for the future.

S62 - Dominik Tretyak
Russian Career - N/A

The current backup, and frankly, the only other goaltender in the Russian Federation, is an undrafted goalie from S62. Tretyak had a tremendous SMJHL career with Anchorage, playing 87 games over 2 seasons and winning 62 of them. Unfortunately, he hasn't had any success since, and have bounced around a few organizations as a backup goaltender in the SHL. He could see some time on Russia's national team if something doesn't change.

----------------------------------------------------

Now, both the goaltenders in our Federation are inactive, which means that it is a tremendous time for a younger, active goaltender to get games in and start a long (and hopefully successful) International career. Since making the switch to FHM from SimonT, the Russian Federation has had 2 starting goaltenders. So, from Season 53 to Season 69 (17 tournaments), there have been two goaltenders with the majority of the starts. Samat Beibitzhanov and Evgeni Petrov have been instrumental in maintaining calm and stability behind Russia's defense, and it took Petrov 7 seasons from when he was drafted to be the starting goaltender.

Russia is looking for goaltenders. Where are they? There may not be another Federation with a more dire positional situation.

The Russian Federation has had a long line of top notch goaltenders over the last 47 tournaments. Who will be the next one?

(511 Words)

I was wondering if you would consider changing your country from Russia or if there have been any talks within the IHF/SHL HO about removing Russian logos or names from IHF? @artermis @sköldpaddor @WannabeFinn

As a member of the SHL honestly seeing Russian logos and association with the site directly reminds me of extended family who have lost their homes to Russia's bombings, Russians who are trying to eradicate my identity/culture as a Ukrainian and millions of others, personally knowing students who did university exchanges/pen pal programs with my university in Ottawa who are fighting in the war or who have lost their lives at the hands of Russians who have invaded their homes looking to kill them.

In my opinion, if we are a community that promotes itself as a safe space for everyone and inclusion for all no matter their sexual orientation, race or ethnicity I would like to ask why the site continues to allow the association with a country's and a large portion of its people who support the genocide of Ukrainians and mass war crimes (including widespread rape and torture) that everyday Russian's are carrying out? I have appreciated the league has worked towards making this community a safer more inclusive space for everyone but I think there is still work to be done and one really easy improvement is to rename the Russian Federation and remove any sort of logos/association with it.

@hockeyfan I also realize your article had nothing to do with my comments and I have nothing against you or anyone who is playing on your IHF team but this is honestly the first thing that went through my head when reading the article and can understand that probably most people on the site do not see Russian logos as threatening. However given my identity and lived experiences, the IHF supporting/associating Russian symbolism with the league given its country's majority views/inhumane atrocities being carried out by Russians in Ukraine every day can be just as negatively impactful as any symbol that is associated with racism/homophobia/transphobia in my view.

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars

04-10-2023, 04:25 PMleafsftw1967 Wrote: I was wondering if you would consider changing your country from Russia or if there have been any talks within the IHF/SHL HO about removing Russian logos or names from IHF? @artermis @sköldpaddor @WannabeFinn

As a member of the SHL honestly seeing Russian logos and association with the site directly reminds me of extended family who have lost their homes to Russia's bombings, Russians who are trying to eradicate my identity/culture as a Ukrainian and millions of others, personally knowing students who did university exchanges/pen pal programs with my university in Ottawa who are fighting in the war or who have lost their lives at the hands of Russians who have invaded their homes looking to kill them.

In my opinion, if we are a community that promotes itself as a safe space for everyone and inclusion for all no matter their sexual orientation, race or ethnicity I would like to ask why the site continues to allow the association with a country's and a large portion of its people who support the genocide of Ukrainians and mass war crimes (including widespread rape and torture) that everyday Russian's are carrying out? I have appreciated the league has worked towards making this community a safer more inclusive space for everyone but I think there is still work to be done and one really easy improvement is to rename the Russian Federation and remove any sort of logos/association with it.

@hockeyfan I also realize your article had nothing to do with my comments and I have nothing against you or anyone who is playing on your IHF team but this is honestly the first thing that went through my head when reading the article and can understand that probably most people on the site do not see Russian logos as threatening. However given my identity and lived experiences, the IHF supporting/associating Russian symbolism with the league given its country's majority views/inhumane atrocities being carried out by Russians in Ukraine every day can be just as negatively impactful as any symbol that is associated with racism/homophobia/transphobia in my view.

This is certainly a welcome comment and it is something I brought up when I was hired. It sounds like it has been talked about and debated at length amongst the powers that be and it is still a discussion that is happening.

slava ukraini

[Image: vd5hdkM.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]
Sig credits to @sköldpaddor @ihatereyson

Agree with @leafsftw1967. This was my first thought when I read the title as well. I've been pretty vocal about this in the past too and had a short conversation with the previous head of Russia about a possible name change but I don't think it ever got anywhere. I think its way due that the Russian Federation and all logos connected to it be changed to something else, whether that be something akin to the 2018 Winter olympics or something completely different.

And thanks for the transparency @hockeyfan, it is very much appreciated.

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

I just wanna know why @Rangerjase didn’t get a ping too :’)

In all seriousness though, it’s something we’ve discussed in the past, I think Artermis wanted to leave it up to discussion with others including current Russia fed heads at the time, but I can’t speak to what IIHF HO might have discussed behind the scenes in the time since then. 

SHL HO generally tries not to go around asserting authority over the other HOs when it is at all possible, but from my own personal standpoint it’s a discussion I’m certainly willing to have again with IIHF HO and the involved parties.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: nbb.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

I appreciate the support from community members and the response from HO and sorry for leaving you out in the first ping @Rangerjase so I am going to make up for it now haha. Anyways I just started spilling my thoughts when I came across this article today because I think it is a bigger issue that has needed to be addressed to help improve the inclusiveness of this community for a while. I have a ton of respect for @hockeyfan for taking my general concern regarding Russian affiliation/symbolism as it was and understanding its nothing personal against him or the players on that team. I know some may think its just a sim league but sporting events, businesses and social movements worldwide have taken steps to remove the Russia affiliation from things over the last year because of what Russia's actions/views currently represent (Ukrainian genocide and oppression of the Ukrainian identity) and think its important the league consider what associating with Russia means. I had this same view when the war first broke out and with a fresh federation head taking over I think it is a good time to further this discussion. I would be open to hear counter arguments as well if anyone is strongly opposed to this proposition.

04-10-2023, 05:40 PMboom Wrote: slava ukraini

Heroiam Slava!

04-11-2023, 12:02 AMleafsftw1967 Wrote: I appreciate the support from community members and the response from HO and sorry for leaving you out in the first ping @Rangerjase so I am going to make up for it now haha. Anyways I just started spilling my thoughts when I came across this article today because I think it is a bigger issue that has needed to be addressed to help improve the inclusiveness of this community for a while. I have a ton of respect for @hockeyfan for taking my general concern regarding Russian affiliation/symbolism as it was and understanding its nothing personal against him or the players on that team. I know some may think its just a sim league but sporting events, businesses and social movements worldwide have taken steps to remove the Russia affiliation from things over the last year because of what Russia's actions/views currently represent (Ukrainian genocide and oppression of the Ukrainian identity) and think its important the league consider what associating with Russia means. I had this same view when the war first broke out and with a fresh federation head taking over I think it is a good time to further this discussion. I would be open to hear counter arguments as well if anyone is strongly opposed to this proposition.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

[Image: zcOwSzN.png] [Image: b1AwZLU.png]
First ever Yukon Malamute draft pick (1st overall S65)

[Image: ezgif-3-597e9990a5.png]

04-11-2023, 08:05 AMChevy Wrote: Heroiam Slava!

gorlami

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

I know I'm no longer involved in the fed in any official leadership capacity but I'd like to pipe in here at the very least as a member of the fed who was at one point the head I'd like to chime in.

We're in kind of a tough spot here, because both situations have a negative outcome. What Russia is doing right now is unequivocally wrong and evil, and it does feel wrong to continue to fly those colors. But at the same time, a change of this magnitude is pretty much unprecedented here. I don't want to use this as an excuse because people's lives and livelihoods are far more important than the fate of a fake hockey team, but all I'm asking is to hear me out.

The only time I can remember (and granted I am much less active now than I used to be) a fed changing countries was the Austria -> France change. This was accompanied by a clause that allowed existing players who created for Austria to remain unlocked for a period of time. Now if Russia were to change, you can either implement this or not. If you do, players could transfer out which wouldn't help the fed and feels a little unfair to our new head, and if you don't it feels unfair to players who have little/no input or control over what fed they now play for. I think it's important to remember that despite our team name and colors, we are not an extension of Putin, Russia, the Russian MoD, Wagner Group or any number of groups and people from Russia and elsewhere committing atrocities in Ukraine. We are a bunch of people who either made our fake hockey players from there (in some cases predating the invasion). I can't speak for everyone, but I imagine you would be hard pressed to find an unironic supporter of Putin or Russia's actions in our fed.

That being said I am not necessarily opposed to a name change, but I am opposed to one that risks further damaging the fed that I do feel somewhat of a personal connection to. The invasion has already not been good for our image and player count, and I fear that this would only make things worse either way. Frankly, I'm kinda asking HO for some sort of out here that lets everyone be satisfied.

[Image: Duff101.gif]
Credit to Geck, Ragnar and Juni for sigs

I think it's kinda silly to blend real world and fantasy like this. The Russia in the SHL is not the Russia that's bombing Ukraine. Russia has been a hockey powerhouse for as long as hockey has been a professional sport, and that's about the extent of the relevance to a fantasy hockey league. I have no issues with someone not making a Russian player based on their personal beliefs, but making some sort of blanket policy on Russia as a fantasy concept is just a really weird hill to die on.

[Image: steveoiscool.gif]

04-11-2023, 02:10 PMDuff101 Wrote: I know I'm no longer involved in the fed in any official leadership capacity but I'd like to pipe in here at the very least as a member of the fed who was at one point the head I'd like to chime in.

We're in kind of a tough spot here, because both situations have a negative outcome. What Russia is doing right now is unequivocally wrong and evil, and it does feel wrong to continue to fly those colors. But at the same time, a change of this magnitude is pretty much unprecedented here. I don't want to use this as an excuse because people's lives and livelihoods are far more important than the fate of a fake hockey team, but all I'm asking is to hear me out.

The only time I can remember (and granted I am much less active now than I used to be) a fed changing countries was the Austria -> France change. This was accompanied by a clause that allowed existing players who created for Austria to remain unlocked for a period of time. Now if Russia were to change, you can either implement this or not. If you do, players could transfer out which wouldn't help the fed and feels a little unfair to our new head, and if you don't it feels unfair to players who have little/no input or control over what fed they now play for. I think it's important to remember that despite our team name and colors, we are not an extension of Putin, Russia, the Russian MoD, Wagner Group or any number of groups and people from Russia and elsewhere committing atrocities in Ukraine. We are a bunch of people who either made our fake hockey players from there (in some cases predating the invasion). I can't speak for everyone, but I imagine you would be hard pressed to find an unironic supporter of Putin or Russia's actions in our fed.

That being said I am not necessarily opposed to a name change, but I am opposed to one that risks further damaging the fed that I do feel somewhat of a personal connection to. The invasion has already not been good for our image and player count, and I fear that this would only make things worse either way. Frankly, I'm kinda asking HO for some sort of out here that lets everyone be satisfied.

I appreciate your input and agree that it would be important not to further damage the Fed Head's/players' ability to succeed in the IHF while finding a way to remove Russia's symbolism that represents a lot of messed up things.

04-11-2023, 02:12 PMsteveoiscool Wrote: I think it's kinda silly to blend real world and fantasy like this. The Russia in the SHL is not the Russia that's bombing Ukraine. Russia has been a hockey powerhouse for as long as hockey has been a professional sport, and that's about the extent of the relevance to a fantasy hockey league. I have no issues with someone not making a Russian player based on their personal beliefs, but making some sort of blanket policy on Russia as a fantasy concept is just a really weird hill to die on.

We have policies in place to prevent any sort of racism, sexism and other forms of discriminatory symbolism from being associated with the "fantasy" league of the SHL. Would you consider that silly? SHL player names have been removed (a prime example is Name Redacted), we have had SHL members in the past suspended for using discriminatory symbolism (ex: the use of the swastika) and have added policies like having personal pronouns displayed for each member in a "fantasy" league to make it a more inclusive environment. These are all prime examples of how the SHL has blended the real world with "fantasy" and would like to ask if you think that is silly?

Why should the league take a different approach to inclusivity and making the league a safe place for all when Russian symbolism is threatening to people of Ukrainian identity? Would you think it is a weird hill to die on if people with the Russian flag and symbolism are trying to kill your extended family, committing war crimes against people of your culture, trying to eradicate your personal identity and bombing a place you see as your ancestral home? Honestly I don't expect people to fully understand unless you are in a position where you feel threatened or discriminated against, just as I cannot fully understand how a woman experiences the negative influences of sexism or people of colour experience racist symbolism or LGBTQ people experience discrimination. In addition, the real world has taken action against the "Russian hockey powerhouse" while considering its historical dominance in the sport as the International Ice Hockey Federation have indefinitely banned Russia from any sort of international hockey competitions. Whether you like to admit it or not real world discriminatory/threatening symbolism can have an extremely negative impact on members of a "fantasy" league.

There were efforts made to try and address this issue when Russia's war in Ukraine first broke out and it didn't really amount to much which is why I think it is important to have this discussion more publicly now.

04-11-2023, 02:10 PMDuff101 Wrote: I know I'm no longer involved in the fed in any official leadership capacity but I'd like to pipe in here at the very least as a member of the fed who was at one point the head I'd like to chime in.

So change it to the OAR like what was done in the 2018 Olympics. I really don't see how this is a lose lose situation. The fed and sim gets to distance themselves from real world issues that has touched hundreds of millions of people, including users on this sub, and users that still want to create russian players can still do so.

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]