Create Account

S50 PT #4 - Skills Competition

When Daniel Bischoff found out he'd been selected for the SHL Skills Competition, he was very confused as he is not exactly the most talented player on his team. Even so, he was still happy to be chosen and he hoped it would be a fun event. However, when he found out which event he was taking part in he was even more surprised. He was doing the Best Shootout Goalie. Daniel Bischoff is not a goalie, however the SHL does not like to admit its mistakes and so they insisted that Bischoff take part. Thankfully, Bischoff knows the SHL's best goalie Peter Larson as well as two very talented junior goalies, Ian Venables and Markus Tegernako, who together taught Bischoff how to be a great shootout goalie if only so he didn't embaress himself. Some of Larson's tips and tricks did seem a bit dodgy but this may have been because he was also taking part in the event. He eventually won the competition while Bischoff just about managed to come last.

Code:
Written Option #3: Imagine that your player has been selected to participate in one of the above competitions. Tell us how you'd prepare and train for the challenge and/or tell us about how the competition went for you. (150+ words)

Somehow Ricky Bobby's goal-scoring abilities in the SMJHL took the noticed of the All-Star Committee up in the big leagues by being selected for the Most Accurate Shot competition, and he does not plan on letting this opportunity slip away. After accepting the invitation to participate without hesitation, Bobby's daily routine changes very little, as he already spends an hour shooting pucks from different spots of the offensive zone inside the Carolina Kraken's practice facility each day. Bobby still had to focus on the final stretch of the SMJHL season so he chose not to sacrifice any team practice sessions as the team always comes first. In the end, while Ricky Bobby completed the shooting competition in just over 11 seconds, he couldn't match the incredible shots that the SHL veterans possessed and finished the competition behind every other competitor. With many more incredible seasons ahead of him in the SHL, Ricky Bobby's first career all-star game skills competition performance is just the beginning.

[Image: bobby1.jpg]

[Image: DaNnVpo.png]   [Image: CfsNrQZ.png]   [Image: ZZLBWWZ.png]
Kraken | Switzerland | Jets

I entered the most accurate shot competition and it didn't go very well. I averaged a little less than 10%. My season was similar. In all honesty my preparation was minimal. I just went out back and shot picks through a tire. I probably could have done more but this season, I've just been going through the motions. I did learn a lot from other players who were there and my shot will definitely be better in the future. Not sure who they had in goal but he was a stud. I'm not a big fan of skill competitions as it doesn't always transfer over to the real game. Just because you can skate pretty doesn't mean you'll be a good player. Otherwise figure skaters would dominate the game. Same with shooting. Gotta be able to shoot from all angles. That's what makes a good player.

[Image: v1uynGf.png]

Highlanders

Renegades  raiders  Finland
[Image: WuTGq5J.png]

Written Option #1: For one of the above competitions, craft your ideal field of 4 contestants to compete in the challenge. Make your case as to why you're choosing these 4 to represent the elitest of the elite in this skill right now. (150+ words)

There are quite a few outstanding shooters in the SHL and many can be chosen for the final four at the all star game. But usually all star rosters are made up of players who are having great seasons. First up is the New Orleans Spectre Piotr Czerkawski, who had a fantastic season with 27 goals and almost a 14 shooting percentage. Tied in goals with Czerkawski is Noah Konn who played for the Jets this season and shot almost 12 %. Konn registered 231 shots in the season more than the other shooters. The third participant is the Toronto rookie; Mika Kandinsky who had a ridiculous season of 62 points and 26 goals all while shooting at the highest percentage among the participants with an almost 14.5%. Last among the players playing in the best shoot is Gabriel Wong from the West Kendall Platoon. Wong like the other three had a great season with 23 goals while converting on 14% of his shots.

[Image: shepard.png][Image: giphy.gif][Image: TFOzBaZ.gif]

Thanks to @FlappyGiraffe and @ToeDragon84 for the making these sick sigs!

Quote:                            First Goal (3rd Game): Commander Shepard 1 (Nick Brain 1, Noah Gallagher 2) at 8:48

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2019, 07:58 PM by ztevans.)

Written Option #1: For one of the above competitions, craft your ideal field of 4 contestants to compete in the challenge. Make your case as to why you're choosing these 4 to represent the elitest of the elite in this skill right now. (150+ words)

As we all know, there’s no speed rating in Simon T, one of its many great assets, but we an assume a fast skater would have a 99 skating rating. I’m also taking the liberty to assume a fast skater would have 99 defense, which acts as more of a positioning rating, and what better way to get in position than by being fast? Puck handling helps, but in the fastest skater competition there isn’t a puck on your stick so I’m using that as a tiebreaker, but more importantly I’m going to also look at size because fuck this, I’ve already put too much thought into it. I’d love to say being young help but in our bizarre fake hockey world you’re not gonna just get born with 99 skating and then regress with age, you start out as a fucking drunk deer on skates and learn how to play hockey before forgetting. Good shit.

Anyways, my four contestants would be Anders Christiansen, Viktor Marius, Tor Tuck and Jon Toner. Scientifically I should probably give it to either Tuck or Christiansen but I like @karey more so he wins. Fin.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

For the most accurate shot drill, I'm gonna go with some players that might not be leading the way in goals scored this season but have proven to be deadly snipers over the years. As a defensive d-man, I had my share to play against these guys on the PK and I feel my picks makes sense. Si first off, of the New Orleans Specters, DeMaricus Smyth. This guy is from my same draft class and I know damn well at how he is to score goals. His shot gets rarely blocks and the first player to come un my mind for this event. #2 pick : Flacko Lagerfield. The franchise forward for the Tampa Bay Barracuda is in his prime and can score from all angles. #3 pick : Mikhail Lokitonov : he's right now the most offensive giften player in the SHL right now. The Guy can do it all and shooting a puck is one of it. And my last pick : Dick Clapper. Clap bombs fuck moms the total package

[Image: opt6vpu.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2019, 08:06 PM by Briedaqueduc.)

Option #2
If I had to pick one goalie to win the "Best Shootout Goalie" award, it would be an usual pick, Knox Booth. Booth had an outstanding rookie year. This season, he has shown that he is more than good enough to play in the SHL, performing better than many other keepers. He probably could have won the Jester, if Kandinsky wasn't so good. Back to Booth, he faced a total of 8 penalty shots this season, and saved 7 of them. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that he could keep the same save on penalty shots ratio over more shots. It's also not a surprise to me that LAP played him so much. He was tied for second in shutouts, tenth in save percentage and wins, ninth in goals against average, and eight in both time played and shots faced. The stats show that Booth is a reliable goalie, and he could probably win it.
160 words

[Image: BriePK.gif]
|Canada |Steelhawks| Armada|

|Canada| Inferno| Knights|

[Image: unknown.png]

I'd be really interested in seeing the most accurate shot competition. There's a lot of great shooters in this league, and if I had to pick, these are the 4 that I would choose to compete:

Philipp Winter - Philipp has seen his career explode over the last few seasons and proven himself to be a great goal scorer, he has an accurate and hard shot.

Piotr Czerkawski - How can you not include this seasons goal leader? Tied for the league lead with 27 goals (along with Noah Konn - who is retiring and decided not to participate), Czerkawski has had the big rebound season we knew he was capable of.

Terrance Nova - This grizzled vet may be at the tail end of his career, but he still has a wicked shot that has allowed him to score 395 goals over the course of his career.

Alex Light - While never necessarily a top player in the league, Light has been the model of consistency, scoring 20 goals 8 seasons in a row between S40-47, while also reaching the 20 goal mark in S38. His participation in the competition would be a great farewell to an excellent player.

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page

Quote:Written Option #3: Imagine that your player has been selected to participate in one of the above competitions. Tell us how you'd prepare and train for the challenge and/or tell us about how the competition went for you. (150+ words)

If Ronlain were to be selected for any of the available competitions, it would certainly be the most accurate shot competition. Ronlain already has a killer shot given the right circumstances, getting 2 hat tricks in the last 6 games of the SMJHL season after being bumped up to the first line for that time period and improving his shooting percentage from 8% to 13%. In preparation for the competition he would likely just continue to practice shooting much of the same way he does normally. Usually he goes from multiple positions, setting up cones to act as shot blockers and putting targets in different areas of the net. So for example he'll sit above one of the faceoff circles and have 2-3 cones in front of him and try to weave the puck in between to pick the corner or the five hole. Doing this helps him to be able to shoot more accurately and would definitely be good preparation for this competition.

[Image: rankle.gif]
[Image: 9rbVE0N.png]

Barracuda Chomp Chomp Water Dog Barracuda
Scarecrows Scarecrow Noises Scarecrows
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

PBE PT

[Image: xvPjYUR.png]
syndicate Outlaws Switzerland

If my player was selected for the faster skater challenge in the SHL skills competition I would first thank my friends, family, and teammates because without them I would have never been nominated. To prepare for this challenge I would first drink a lot of water leading up to the day of the skills competition and then the day of the event I wouldn’t drink as much water. Hopefully this would help me lose a few extra pounds that I normally have from drinking water and eating food. Second, I would arrive early to the event to be able to stretch and get a feel of the ice by doing a morning skate where I not only do laps around the rink but I would also take some shots to see if after some time the ice gets a little softer or harder. Looking back at the competition now, I finished in 2nd place behind @Nictox . I am glad a fellow teammate won but you bet that I would be back next season ready to win.

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread

Due to a critical information error in the league office, Ricky Spanish was selected to demonstrate his skills as a shutout Goalie. One never to turn away from a performance, Ricky exuded to take the challenge with gusto and try his hand at the goalkeeper position. Now, Ricky has never played Goalie, so the first thing that needed to be done was to get some Goalie gear. Ricky Spanish went down to the Leagues best gear designer and got some bitchin pads and a sweet ass Goalie mask. You know, one with like a pirate or a bear or some shit on it. And it had a big Español written across the bottom. Super cool right?

Next Ricky had to get some reps in. Playing with his teammate Joseph Kubinec, Ricky learned the basics of the butterfly, how to time his glove, and when to go for the poke check.

As the day got closer, Ricky thought he had a real chance to win the challenge. But he didn't. The end.

Quote:Written Option #1: For one of the above competitions, craft your ideal field of 4 contestants to compete in the challenge. Make your case as to why you're choosing these 4 to represent the elitest of the elite in this skill right now. (150+ words)

Beaujeaux Biscuit (WKP), Benjamin Blue (TBB), Walter Hobbs (WPG), Geezus Kryyst (HAM) would be the the four representatives on my ballot for "Best Shootout Goalie." Of the league's starting netminders, these four rank 7th, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in overall save percentage. In terms of penalty shot save percentage (minimum 10 shots against), they rank 1st, 3rd, 7th, and 2nd. While there are two outliers in each stat (Beaujeax being 7th in overall save percentage and Hobbs being 7th in penalty shot save percentage), combining both statistics makes each one of these goalies among the elite in the league. Others might point out that two of these goalies are in the bottom 5 in terms of total wins, but counting wins doesn't always tell the truth about how good a goalie is. Three of these goalies have helped their team make the playoffs, with Hobbs being the lone goalie in this list to miss out. It wasn't for lack of effort though, as he posted a sub-3.00 and had the 3rd highest save percentage of all starting goalies. These are the best of the best, and should be the representatives in this skills competition.

[Image: lap-teamsig.png]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

In the season 50 of the shl, I think Mika Kandinsky could win the most accurate shot competition. It's crazy to pick a rookie to win a competition but Kandinsky is already one of the best scorer in this league. He scored 26 goals, finishing 2nd in goal scored this season. The reason why I believe he can win this competition is because he has the best wrist shot in the league. Looking at his stats, he has the best shooting percentage. He doesn't miss a lot of his shots if you can compare him to the others top scorers in the league. His shot release is very fast so I believe he has the best chance of hitting all of the targets at the lowest time. This is the first season for Mika Kandinsky so he is going to be a lot more better in his prime. I believe he is going to be the greatest shooter of all time. That is why he is going to win this competition at the all star game.

[Image: capybar22_600.png]

Alex Winters, somewhat surprisingly, was selected to go to the S50 SHL All-Star Game after what was a great S49, and less than stellar S50 first half. The event that he got to participate in while representing the Manhattan Rage was the fastest skater competition. Alex is not the faster skater, never has, but he was definitely excited to be given the opportunity. With a choppy, tall stride, Alex did make a decent run when it came to the time he took for his fastest skater lap, posting a decent time at 14.35 seconds after a skating start to the race. He didn’t win his race, losing to linemate Luke Thomason who posted a 13.75. It worked out for Alex however, as he got to sit back, relax and talk to some old friends of his from around the SHL that he played with in juniors or got along with well at the combine. All in all, he had a great experience and Alex loved it.

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52