Create Account

S78 Championship Week Due: Sunday, September 29th @ 11:59 PM PST

Trivia - Brave

Prompt 2
As it turned out, Los Angeles did have a minor edge when it came to scoring in the finals series. However, a lot of that advantage can be put down to their incredible nine goal outburst in Game 2. Los Angeles’ advantage laid in their depth across the team, giving them the opportunity to outlast Tampa and prey on their lower lines. Come this time of year, every single team has elite contributors and, as shown last year with NEW as well, what matters most is your depth so you can hang around when the teams with very good defensive showings come out to play and slow down (but never stop) the best players on the other side of the ice. While it is true that LA ended up outscoring Tamps when it comes to raw numbers, I would argue that in actual terms, offense was relatively even and the difference was due to games played.
(156 words, +3 TPE)

Prompt 8
In my opinion, and as shown by the results of the season, it is more important to be resilient in the face of adversity than it is to steamroll your opponents. Granted, I have limited experience in the SHL, but I would imagine that it is rare for a team to coast its way to a championship. It is the place of the championship team to fight for your flowers, and that is what fosters a championship atmosphere in your club. Not to mention, it is the more satisfying way to win in my opinion. You prove you’re the best by battling through the best the league has to offer, and you can arise from that knowing without a shadow of a doubt that you’re the best, and that mentality is evident when you look at the on-ice results.
(139 words, +2 TPE)

Total Including Trivia – 8 TPE

[Image: UufQtZ0.png]
sig credits to @Nokazoa
[Image: wkhxpJS.png]

Code:
15. Graphic, 3 TPE, Saw It Coming
Create an image that appears like it could be posted on teams social media, that highlights an unexpected series result from these playoffs,
must include at least team logos and series score.

[Image: New-Project-3.png]

Code:
17. Graphic, 3 TPE, Participation Banner
The team’s owner is complaining that the rafters in your arena are looking empty. You’ve been tasked with creating a banner for one of your
team’s achievements this season. Did you get eliminated in round one? Sounds like a banner to me! Did you lose a record number of road games?
Banner! Win the cup? I guess that’s a banner too.

[Image: New-Project-1-1.png]

Code:
18. Graphic, 3 TPE - The Procrastinator Special!
Congratulations, graphics-master procrastinator! Much like the written-word-loving procrastinator, you too have a special task! Create a
post-series splash screen detailing the outcome of the series, or highlighting the player that you think should be playoff MVP. Include at least
3 stats!

[Image: New-Project-2.png]

When it comes to playoffs, there is a saying that defense wins championships. This definitely sounds to be the truth in the case of this year's finals. Los Angeles Panthers are probably the most stacked team in the league at this point in playoffs. But speaking about defense is not enough. When you have elite tier defense with elite tier offense, there is almost certainty that you are going to finish high in the playoffs and so did LAP as they won this year's challenge cup. Derek Martin was without a doubt the most valuable player as he amassed the most points, +/- and best defensive game rating on the team. The dude is the true definition of a two-way forward as he plays so well on both spectrums of the ice. What is crazy is that he also collected 18 block shots as a forward. The other three notable players on the team are Castillon, Piastri and Prpich whom all collected 24 points or higher. In tampa bay, only two players did well and they were Max Carnage who led the regular season in points and Johnny Wagner Svenson. They only amassed 27 and 22 points in 21 games putting them at ppg. I don't believe the three extra games would have done anything in terms of points since LAP had that momentum going for them

230 words-->4 tpe

6. This season for my player was quite abysmal to say the least. I am definitely not happy about Yuri Boyka III's performance this season. One would normally think that your player will perform much better with the increased stats but unfortunately for Boyka, this couldn't bne further from the truth. Boyka III managed to perform worse on every category with more playing time and more tpe. It is incomprehensible how one manages to do that. NBB also should have played a lot better this season since they were one of the stronger teams on paper but they humiliatingly got knocked out in the first round of the playoffs. We are hoping for a revenge next season as this season should be left somewhere bottled up. Boyka III also played on the first line for majority of the current season and did worse offensively. Part of the issue can be that he played a shutdown position this season. Although his general manager told him he is doing well, he fails to see this as he performed worse even in the defensive aspects. We are hoping Boyka III will be able to play a more offensive role next season and help put points for the team. He was one of the more producing forwards last season and we know he has the talent. We believe he should stick to a role he plays well in without experimenting other ones.
240 words --> 4tpe

Total--> 8 tpe

[Image: pnI7R5r.png]

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2024, 10:34 AM by CaptainCamel. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Camel

+3 TPE

Code:
10. Written, 50 to 200+ words. Took Me By Surprise
Pick a one SHL or SMJHL team, that isn’t your own, that did not play as you would have expected at the beginning of the season. Did they do better or worse than you expected? Why you think your expectations were off, can you find an explanation for their performance? Does this change how you view them going into next season?

While this isn't necessarily about Atlanta (my team), but is more about Atlanta's opponents, the Philadelphia Forge. As much as I hate to say it, I didn't expect there to be any way that Atlanta would make it past round one when going up against Philadelphia Forge. I don't want to undermine my own team's efforts, we played incredibly, but to see Philadelphia choke like that was not only insane to see, but completely ruined my bracket for the playoffs, me choosing Philadelphia to make it all the way to the finals. And the thing is, while I am far from one to be an expert on the topic, I don't see Philadelphia Forge getting any better next season. They will for sure make the playoffs, and even be a strong competitor, but I think they might be on the decline as players get older. But who knows, I'm sure next season they'll find another way to screw up my bracket and predictions one way or another.

WC: 167

+3 TPE

Code:
11. Written, 50 to 200+ words. Give Me More
When things stay the same for too long there is risk of them becoming stale, so to ensure that doesn’t happen we need to add something or to something and as you were just elected as dictator of SHL you get to make the pick. Are we going to have more games? Maybe add few teams or 4th lines to current ones? Could even add more stats to spend our TPE by not standardazing the mental stats? What or to what would you add and why?

While I do really like how the league has been going the past few seasons, there is always room for improvement, right? More games I do think would make things fun. While the vibe and pace of things right now certainly is not bad, there are times where it really feels like the season is over the second it started. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the 66 game season hop up to 82 like the NHL. I think 4 lines could be fun, and I certainly would not turn away adding more teams as long as we have the player base to warrant it.

WC: 105

+2 TPE

[Image: lPQWyve.png?ex=662bf46d&is=66197f6d&hm=a...dd3527ca4&]

1. CW Trivia; verification word: vagabond [up to +3]

13. I kind of understand why people were upset about Quebec getting its own team, but the sheer number of users coming from Canada and the number of users from there also makes it easier to understand. I’m surprised Slovakia, Denmark, Norway, or Austria don’t have teams but suspect a lot of those users would go to Czecha/Latvia or Sweden, respectively. I also think it’d be hilarious to include Kazakhstan personally, and they’re ranked number 15 in the IIHF standings in real life – so why not? I think it’d start to gain some meme steam. [94 words, +1, total 4]

14. Los Angeles won the S78 Challenge Cup because they matched up quite well with the Barracuda. Realistically, the Barracuda should have let the Atlanta Inferno win their series (totally unbiased, trust me) – but in reality, it seemed far, far more likely that whoever came out of the West was going to win the Challenge Cup regardless, and this bore itself out in the standings – there was just better team cohesiveness and talent at the top of the West. Top three in the standings were all West teams while the next six were all Eastern teams – and while we could theoretically attribute that to a lighter schedule or a weaker western conference, the obvious difference in goal differential among those three teams made it clear that the West’s top teams were just a smidgeon better as a whole.
I’d probably say that the top couple of players for Tampa Bay were on par with, if not better than those on the Panthers (I mean, Carnage and Wagner-Svenson led the league in goals and assists, respectively). But they don’t spend all of the time on the ice, and Derek Martin for some reason is still the sim darling insofar as Franchise Hockey Manager is concerned. That certainly bore itself out in the leaderboards (I mean, just look at the goal-scoring leaders). [220 words, +4, total 8]

[Image: qgldMOE.png]
Thanks @Amidships!
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2024, 06:22 AM by bobdigi9. Edited 3 times in total.)

1. CW TRIVIA    3 TPE

Verification word:    clemfandango

12. Is It Always The Same?     4 TPE

Call it the luck of the Irish or perhaps it's just the sheer fickleness of the sim. But I don't think it's any fluke that we happen to see Ireland's name near the top of the standings and on the podium come the end of the IIHF tournaments. The same could be said about  Team Sweden and Team Germany, who each have won gold thricely (with Sweden also taking home two silvers and a bronze) across the past ten seasons. Where Sweden and Germany are traditionally stronger nations when it comes to hockey, Ireland isn't a name you'd typically associate when it comes to international dominance. However, with two gold and two bronze across that same span, as well as finishing atop the regular season standings twice, it wouldn't be much of a surprise to see them have another great tourney.

As for things that will be different, Czechians will hope that both their IIHF and WJC teams can put forth a better effort than what we saw in S77. In WJC action, they've missed the cut for playoff play over the past two years, last seeing action in S75 where they were dismissed by a plucky Team World. While they're relatively new to world junior play, expectations will be rightfully higher this time around.
In IIHF, the Czechs will again be in tough with the usual suspects expected to be powerhouses yet again. S77 marked the sixth time in a row where they fell short of the playoff round, last making it in S71 and losing against Ireland (who would eventually go on to win gold that year). But with just 18 wins across the past five tournaments (60 games, .300 P%) it would be refreshing to see Czechia be more than just a punching bag for the teams at the top of the standings.

Code:
word count: 315

13. Out With The Old, In With The New     4 TPE

I mean, isn't Quebec part of Canada? I know they like to argue differently, but this is about hockey and not politics so I digress.
It could (and has) definitely be argued that Canada has the talent to send two competitive teams to international hockey events, so adding Quebec isn't the worst thing that could've happened.

With only so many players to go around in the SHL, adding extra teams to the fold could prove to be detrimental. As well, replacing any of the existing teams seems unfair to them (though given the current world events it is perhaps understandable why the SHL IIHF decided to distance themselves from Russia).

With all that being said, it would be fun to see Australia added to the mix. Not that they would be better or worse than any of the nations that are currently represented, but "'Straya" is always striving to be recognized as one of the world's top sporting nations and destinations. Cutting their teeth at such a prominent tournament would go a long way to showing just how capable they are. Plus, if they were to named the host nation, who wouldn't love a chance to go down under and visit one of the best countries in the world!

Code:
word count: 214 words

Total:   8 TPE

[Image: bobdigi9.gif]

Code:

three

Code:
7. This time for J: Who you got? Who wins the Four Star Cup? Why?

There have been very few seasons as dominant as the one that Maine had in the J this season. Their goal differential was more than double that of the second best team and they only lost 2 home games all season. In a playoff bracket where they have home game advantage in every series it's tough to see them going anywhere but straight to a 4 star cup championship.

50+ words 1 TPE

Code:
9. Written, 50 to 200+ words. It Has Been A While
Tampa Bay has potential to end the longest standing cup drought in the league, even longer than what San Francisco ended by winning their first cup in S76, and even if they fall short here they should be in position to be competing for cup for seasons to come. But even as we have seen some droughts end there are still multiple teams that have had to wait for more than 25 seasons by now. Toronto hasn’t won since S35, Minnesota since S39, Baltimore since S47, Calgary since S50 and Manhattan since S52, which of these teams do you think is in best position to end their drought and why?

Each of these six teams has their own unique journey to potentially end a cup drought. I'll rank them from least likely to win next to most likely. 6. Minnesota Monarchs: They've had a rough time for a long time and realistically I think they still have more mediocre seasons to get through before having a chance. 5. Baltimore Platoon: I think they might've just missed their best window of opportunity to win. Their strong core is aging and regressing faster than they can outpace their strong division. 4. Manhattan Rage: They're a strong young team that's only getting stronger as the seasons go on. With a core of early S70s players they might have a window to win in the next 4-7 seasons or so. 3. Calgary Dragons: They're similar to Manhattan with a strong young core, but I think in the same timeframe of 4-7 seasons they'll have a slightly stronger roster consisting of a smaller age range of players. They'll have a stronger, shorter window. 2. Toronto North Stars: The third consecutive team on this list with a core of S70s players, Toronto seems to have the best current roster that has a chance to compete sooner rather than later. 1. Tampa Bay Barracuda: Getting to the cup finals this season is the closest you can come to breaking the drought without actually breaking it. Their core should remain strong for a few more seasons and still compete.

200+ words 4 TPE

Code:
12. Written, 50 to 200+ words. Is It Always The Same?
IIHF is short tournaments with only 12 round robin games for each team, which leads to huge swings from season to season when it comes to standings. Same is true for the WJC as well. With that in mind what do you think will be different from last season? Do you expect things to change for your team or player? And what you expect to stay the same?

Everything will change from season to season in the international tournaments. Even though the rosters for each team stay almost the same, the chaotic short tournament and BO1 format of the playoffs, you can never predict which team might go on a hot streak. For team Czechia, we're slowly getting stronger each season which increases our odds to make a splash next season.

50+ words 1 TPE

[Image: Keven.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic, @Matteo, @sulovilen, @zeagle1, and @TheOPSquid for all the sigs!
Czechia Malamutes Rage Czechia
Canada Citadelles pride syndicate

CW Pass

[Image: RichSHL.gif]
Thanks to sulovilen for the sigs!
Adam Prpich Portal Link

Check out past episodes of Rich and Luke!

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Sad

3 TPE

Code:
Code:
Written, 50 to 200+ words each. Short Prompts

2. Derek Martin is player with most points that plays in finals. Los Angeles has 3 other players that are also above or tied in points with Tampa’s Max Carnage. Does Los Angeles have advantage on scoring or does it just seem like it as they have also played 3 more games?

Looking at the Statistics, Derek Martin has 21 goals in the playoffs which is 6 more than the closest player, and has two more points than the closest player. I would say Derek Martin's scoring prowess in the playoffs could play a major factor and give the Los Angeles Panthers an edge in scoring. Scoring goals can be tough in the playoffs, and he is currently not having many issues scoring almost a goal per game. If Tampa Bay can shut him down, then they may have a better chance, but the supporting cast from the Panthers has been good as well. Tampa Bay has a challenge ahead of them stopping Derek Martin from scoring [105 words] +2 TPE (only claiming 1)

6. How was the season for you player? What you expect from next one?

This season was a bit of up and down for Chicago Syndicate player Sad Ketchup who plays left wing for the Simulation Hockey League team. Sad Ketchup's previous seasons were 86 and 72 points. This season Sad Ketchup managed to put up 65 points in 66 games, which is fairly decent, almost a point per game, but for his standards it was a down season for him. In the beginning of the season, Sad Ketchup struggled, and started off very cold. He was not scoring and not making plays. Around the mid-way point of the season, Sad Ketchup's play picked up and he began to get on the scoresheet. Sad Ketchup scored a career low 26 goals and was a career worst -41. The Chicago Syndicate as a whole had a bit of a down season to what they expected although one would argue that they maybe overperformed in the seasons prior. Overall Sad Ketchup's season was very disappointing and Sad Ketchup knows he needs to be better going forward. Although one could argue having a bad season may help the young player going forward in his career, it may have given the star a reality check that the Simulation Hockey League is not a cake walk. Sad Ketchup should be better next season with a strong core around him that is growing. [215 words] +4 TPE

Total TPE Earned: 8

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup
S26 Tom Corcoran Trophy - SMJHL Top Goalie

Sami Owens - S36-S52
S38 IIHF Bronze - Canada
S39 IIHF Gold - Canada
S42 IIHF Silver - Canada
S51 Challenge Cup Champion - HAM
Liam Slate - S54-Present
S53 WJC Bronze - British Isles
S54 WJC Silver - British Isles
S55 Four Star Cup Champion - Newfoundland Berserkers
S57 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S58 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S60 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S61 IIIHF Gold - Great Britain
S67 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
S68 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
Triple Gold Club

Sad Ketchup -Present
S76 Ryan Jesster Trophy Winner

CW Trivia: dub

The team’s owner is complaining that the rafters in your arena are looking empty. You’ve been tasked with creating a banner for one of your team’s achievements this season. Did you get eliminated in round one? Sounds like a banner to me! Did you lose a record number of road games? Banner! Win the cup? I guess that’s a banner too.

[Image: 1adM2ap.png]

18. Graphic, 3 TPE - The Procrastinator Special!
Congratulations, graphics-master procrastinator! Much like the written-word-loving procrastinator, you too have a special task! Create a post-series splash screen detailing the outcome of the series, or highlighting the player that you think should be playoff MVP. Include at least 3 stats!

[Image: 46Y7kOR.png]

92 - Leighton Oligny- C
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2024, 10:22 PM by Muford. Edited 2 times in total.)

PBE Affiliation

I will say, I am not the most knowledgeable about hockey, so maybe take this with a grain of salt, but if I had a choice and a chance to change it up, I would ensure that the staleness would be gone with adding 4th lines to each team. Adding 4th lines adds 5 total new players to your team, and increases the amount of ice time shared for guys that are just stuck in the SMJHL with being able to go up. I say it adds 5 players, as you get 2 wingers, a center, and 2 new defensemen that get to go up and participate in the SHL and continue to live out their dreams of playing in the big leagues and competing for being the best there ever was or ever will be. Adding another line, or well I guess 2 lines, one for the forwards and one for the defense, will add more abilities for the coaching staff as well to mix and match and make it challenging for other teams to see what they are doing.

(181 words)

This is a rough one, because I still haven’t picked a team with which I am going to go to in the IIHF, so it does not really affect me right now. I do think, though, that with the IIHF being such a short tournament, that it really only takes one team to get hot at the right time and just run through the round robin stages and take that fire into the medal rounds. It’s so hard to predict, because nothing really carries over from your time in the SHL to the IIHF, and it is hard to really decide who is going to make it out on top or not. But honestly, you can never really count out the two biggest nations, in the USA and Canada, as you people love to create for these teams and love to represent where they are from, so I think they could both surprise this upcoming IIHF because any given night, right?

(161 words)

[Image: petrov2.png]
[Image: muford_hof_sig.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2024, 05:28 AM by Sizz. Edited 1 time in total.)

1: Bacon
3TPE

6: My player, Max Carnage, had the best season of his career and one of, if not the, top forward performances this season. It has felt like it has been a long time coming but at the same time, Tampa Bay has always had forwards that were better than him previously. So when regression hit this season and he was put on the top 5 on 5 line and top Power Play unit, he was really able to show the league how good he really is. It doesn't hurt that he was playing with some other great players obviously on that line, namely Johnny Wagner-Svenson and FITTED *PRIMETIME99* CUDDLES (@AgentSmith630 @Fitted2106).

The season didn't end how we in Tampa had hoped having lost to the Panthers in the cup finals, I think we're primed for another few great seasons ahead and I'm hoping Max can be a major part in their success. Is it likely he'll have just as good a season as he did in Season 78? That's probably unlikely but as long as he's contributing to success on the ice for Tampa, I'll be content.

I'm also hoping he can continue his stellar play in the upcoming IIHL tournament and bring home some hardware for the Red, White and Blue.

209 words, 4 TPE

12: Last season in the IIHL tournament, USA looked to be a dominant team and gold medal contenders throughout the round robin only to get smoked by the eventual Gold Medalists Ireland 6-2 in the first round. I'm hoping this season plays out differently and they're finally able to show the rest of the teams how good they truly are.

59 words, 1 TPE

8TPE Total

[Image: lq0SFPP.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2024, 07:39 AM by Cuffy. Edited 2 times in total.)

1. Trivia 3 tpe Verification Cuffy

14 procrastinator 2tpe over 100 words

I am happy to see that the LA Panthers are still a winning organization they have been an amazing organization since they came into the league. They were more dominant offensively and just took over the finals. I feel like Tampa bay put in a good effort to try and take down the panthers but it just wasn’t their time. I hope to see Tampa back into the finals again next season as it was an entertaining feud between the two and I think they have the potiential the be back in the exact same position next season. Although I’d like to see Minny on top next season with Turtle Bob getting the call up!

ISFL PT +3

[Image: cuffana.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2024, 07:34 AM by Cuffy. Edited 1 time in total.)

Oops

[Image: cuffana.png]

Code:

verification: wordsss

Code:
The team’s owner is complaining that the rafters in your arena are looking empty. You’ve been tasked with creating a banner for one of your team’s achievements this season. Did you get eliminated in round one? Sounds like a banner to me! Did you lose a record number of road games? Banner! Win the cup? I guess that’s a banner too.
[Image: VaNqUdB.jpeg]

Code:
13. Written, 50 to 200+ words. Out With The Old, In With The New
Team Russia got replaced by Quebec, which for sure got people talking about the IIHF. What other nations/regions would you like to see get their own team? Would you think they should replace current teams and if so which ones would you seek to replace? And most importantly, why you think that teams you picked would be more interesting or improve the IIHF in general?
Finland is such a powerhouse, maybe not in the actual amount of IIHF hardware but at least in my heart, that we should divide Finland into four regional teams. There are several regions that have a very distinct culture and accent, so it would be actually rather natural. We could have a Team Southern Finland, consisting of the whole Helsinki capital region as well as the coastline all the way up to the old capital city Turku. Tampere as the hockey capital of Finland deserves its own team. Team Tampere  would include the whole Greater Tampere area. The third team would be Team Central Finland, consisting of the lake region of Finland and cities like Jyväskylä and Kuopio. The fourth team would naturally be Team Lapland, which would include everything that’s on the map above Kuopio, although not everything in there is technically part of Lapland. I don’t know if this would make IIHF any more interesting to anyone else but the Finns, but at least Finnish geography and culture would become way better known around the hockey world.
(179 words)

[Image: sulov.gif]