Create Account

S69 Championship Week Due: March 12th @ 11:59 PM (PST)
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2023, 08:57 PM by Nike. Edited 2 times in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Nike

Code:
3. Written, 3TPE, Chemistry Lesson

This season I found myself on the third line playing wing with Mats Soderberg and Ryuuji Minamino. It is a lot of fun to play with a former goal scoring leader and an up and coming stud like Mats. And while Ryuuji and I have both lost a step in the last few seasons, Mats keeps us moving playing with pace and their general commitment to playing the game the right way. We had a decent amount of success this year playing a strong 200 foot game. When you are on the back half of your career and you are playing a depth role, it is important to be reliable and minimize mistakes. We didn’t generate a significant amount of offense but that’s OK. We get pucks in deep and keep our opponents frustrated having to play in their own zone all night long. It’s probably one of my favorite lines I’ve been a part of in Chicago.

Code:
5. Written, 3TPE, Fire and Light

An Aurora is one of the most incredible and misunderstood occurrences in the entire universe. People all around the world can’t quite understand how the air and coloring is so frequently turned into this beautiful sight to behold. And while you might think that because of its beauty that an Aurora isn’t the most ferocious opponent, you would be wrong. In fact, what makes an Aurora so strong and powerful is that it is all encompassing and impossible to capture. And while the Forge is a strong, fiery and powerful force to be reckoned with, it is no match for the bear of colorful light and wind that blows all around it. The Aurora will simply snuff out the hottest fires of the Forge with a swift gust and the speed of air all around. The power of fire is no match for the air that is there to extinguish it. The Aurora are a valiant competitor and the stronger of the two.

Code:
7. Milestones +3 TPE

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3331903

Code:
18. Written, 2TPE, Procrastinator Special

The playoffs over the course of the last few seasons have been a pretty good mix of newer blood and stronger older, established franchises making their push to lift the Challenge Cup. And while most would have thought that both Winnipeg and Philadelphia were the top two teams in their respective conferences coming into the year, that doesn’t mean that their trip to the finals made this year’s playoffs a bummer. In fact, Philadelphia winning the cup has been a bit of fun. It’s a new logo at the top of the page for the first time since I rejoined the site. Seeing a team that I’ve never known to be a Challenge Cup contender make it all the way to the top of the league is pretty cool to me.

Code:
22. Written, 2TPE, Hope and Happiness

I recently had an opportunity to visit one of my oldest friends that I haven’t seen in more than 3 years since the pandemic began. We both moved away from home for work related endeavors in 2019. And while my buddy went southwest to Tennessee, I went to the mid-atlantic to live in Virginia. And while we both were settled in our new locations for a number of months before the pandemic shut down most travel, we didn’t make a visit to see one another a priority. Well, after both of us have subsequently moved AGAIN, we finally made it work. My buddy has settled now into a new place in Florida and I had the opportunity to take a few days off of work to travel down from Boston to play a few rounds of golf and enjoy the sunshine with him and his brother. A big win in what has been a long winter here up north!

[Image: kickz_jr.png]
Thanks to Merica for my sig
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2023, 10:44 PM by Atox. Edited 3 times in total.)

ISFL Affiliate 
SMJHL Milestones
CW (Verif Code: Stone)

Task 5: Fire and Light
Determining who would win in a fight between a god beat and a living magma monster is difficult as it is wildly dictated by the parameters of the fight.  If the fight takes place in an enclosed location, the Magma wins easily as it can easily flood the arena and burn the bear.  If it were to take place in a wide open location not only does the bear have options to evade attacks from both the hammer amd the heat of the Magma, but can also wait it out because unless this takes place inside a volcano the Magma will cool and harden, greatly limiting the Magma’s movement and possibly giving the bear the win right there.  The capabilities of the bear are also undefined.  This isn’t simply a polar bear but has powers that are beyond natural knowledge.  If the bear has the ability to do damage from range that would give an even bigger advantage in an open arena.

Task 6: Haiku
Try to repeat champs
Make the league finals again
Keeled over in five

[Image: 1wgIGr9.png]
[Image: MEAGHER.png]
Credit Maxy and Merica for sigs
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2023, 09:47 PM by Bonk. Edited 12 times in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
Belly

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

Code:
a. Both Winnipeg and Philadelphia have taken the long road of drafting and development to find themselves in the Challenge Cup Finals. Winnipeg in full scale rebuild, and Philadelphia in the expansion draft. Each began nearly 10 seasons ago. From your point of view, which build is more impressive? Full scale teardown to challenge cup, or expansion draft to challenge cup?
When it comes to building a team is hard to say what is the magic formula is, as there are so many variables. It is hard to say what is more impressive. Simply because my former players were Jets, it is clearly it was more impressive for Winnipeg as how can you possible rebuild from losing a Manis. 
Words ~58

Code:
b. Winnipeg's Mikko Rashford has been an unstoppable assist machine with 25 in 20 GP. If you're looking to shut down Winnipegs offense, who do you target? Rashford, or goal scorers surrounding them? Do you double down on guarding the scorers and letting a pass-first player take a shot, or do you go heavy on the passer and hope nothing squeeks through?
To stop Winnipeg’s offence, you must apply pressure across the board. There is no portion or the offence that can be ignored, every line must have defensive pressure put on them. Mikko Rashford is tough and versatile but you cannot stop there a too many tools for Winnipeg to choose from. You must stop more than one player.  Words ~58

Code:
c. Philadelphia's BASE PACK has made over 500 saves in 17 GP. If you're a Winnipeg team looking for a weakness to exploit, do you think this is one? Does this signify an exhausted goalie that you can pepper with shots and eventually break the dam? Or is BASE PACK just an on-fire goalie that you need to find another way around?
Facing a tried goalie in the SHL Challenge cup finals is never a bad thing. Whether that is the weak point to be exploited or not is hard to say. Some goalies live to thrive in the playoff and preform amazingly under pressure. That is not the always the case so Winnipeg should really test the waters on how tired the goalies are and lighting them up early.  Words~68

Code:
d. As always I ask... who you got? Usually when I analyze teams for this segment I see a contrast in results or deployment or something I can latch on to, but these look like remarkably similar teams at this point in the playoffs. So who wins? Why?
I am leaning Winnipeg for no real reason what so ever. I just was a soft spot for them what can I say. Although I should not, considering they lost their way with franchise renaming. The victory would have tasted sweeter had it been a Jets victory but it is not.  Words ~51

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Chemistry Lesson (150 words min.)
Tell me about who your linemates were this year, and how the season went playing together. Why do you work well together? Why don't you work well together? If there was anyone on your team you don't play with but you'd like to, who is it? Why? If you're a goalie, tell me about your bond with your goaltending partner!
Hugh Manius’s Primary line partner on the Colorado Raptures was Robin Nyckel. Generally speaking, Manius loves playing with Robin Nyckel As they seem to have several unspoken rules and duties when playing with one and other. Like Robin Nyckel always knows to drop back defensively if he see the huge guy going as he know the Manius love to take the puck and run give the opportunity. The same thing can be said for manus as well, As Manius knows how Robin is going to deal the puck behind the net and this allows for Manius to establish his position to best aid Colorado. The Manius Nyckel connection seems to be working well and Hugh hopes that the chemistry will bleed over into season 70.  Also, during Hugh’s time in scarecrow’s this season Manius played with a few different players although nothing seemed to be jelling at all during Manius time with St. Louis this season. Words ~156

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Playoffs Shmayoffs (150 words min.)
Write about a time you didn't make the playoffs, and what you did to take your mind off it! Did you expect to miss the playoffs when it happened? Was it a shock? How did you take it? If you've never been on a team that missed the playoffs, tell me about an early exit you made instead.
So, you want me to write about this season and how this season the Colorado Raptures did not make the playoffs, even though the team with the worst record in the SMJHL made it into the playoff. The Colorado Raptures did not because that is how things work over the SMJHL. Seems a little messed up huh, but that is how it goes. There is no need to cry over some spilled milk. The free time Manius received for not making the was not a welcome surprise as he would have preferred to keep playing. Although Manius took the opportunity to visit Winnipeg to watch a few playoff games and visited some of the old Winnipeg hang out that the other Manius used to visit back in the day. Winnipeg had not seen a Manius in quite some time and the city was dying for some Manius parting and that is just what the city got. Words~156

Code:
7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE

Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 7 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.
+3 TPE - Milestones

[Image: bonk.gif]
Sigs by @FlappyGiraffe,  @Steelhead77,  @ToeDragon84, @slothfacekilla, @Wasty and other dude I need to find your name

Lil' Manius

Big Manius

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2023, 10:35 PM by Gwdjohnson. Edited 3 times in total.)

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

a. Both Winnipeg and Philadelphia have taken the long road of drafting and development to find themselves in the Challenge Cup Finals. Winnipeg in full scale rebuild, and Philadelphia in the expansion draft. Each began nearly 10 seasons ago. From your point of view, which build is more impressive? Full scale teardown to challenge cup, or expansion draft to challenge cup?

- Obviously I'm biased as a member of the Forge, but I think building a powerhouse from an expansion draft is generally harder, because you start with so little to work with. When a team tears it down for a rebuild, there's all kinds of value to flip for future gain, but with expansion you tend to get a lot of the scraps of other teams, so you have less of a starting platform. (73 words)

b. Winnipeg's Mikko Rashford has been an unstoppable assist machine with 25 in 20 GP. If you're looking to shut down Winnipegs offense, who do you target? Rashford, or goal scorers surrounding them? Do you double down on guarding the scorers and letting a pass-first player take a shot, or do you go heavy on the passer and hope nothing squeeks through?

- You definitely want to try and make sure Rashford does not get space to operate and find his man. It's no coincidence for a player to have so many assists, and him being on form like he is makes you have to go extra hard on closing down the lanes so that his main targets aren't found, because if they are teams have been paying for it. (67 words)

c. Philadelphia's BASE PACK has made over 500 saves in 17 GP. If you're a Winnipeg team looking for a weakness to exploit, do you think this is one? Does this signify an exhausted goalie that you can pepper with shots and eventually break the dam? Or is BASE PACK just an on-fire goalie that you need to find another way around?

- Good goalie performances only create snowballs in confidence. PACK's found the top level of his mental and technical game these playoffs, and exhaustion is not a thing for goalies that are just in that zone. With how well he played in the playoffs, for the opposition it becomes a game of just praying you can keep pucks out and squeeze a couple in past PACK. (65 words)

d. As always I ask... who you got? Usually when I analyze teams for this segment I see a contrast in results or deployment or something I can latch on to, but these look like remarkably similar teams at this point in the playoffs. So who wins? Why?

- Obviously I'm doing this late and Philly won, but going in I'd probably have favored Winnipeg. They have one of the most powerful rosters ever seen in the SHL and even though they couldn't get it over the line, going into the series you'd be crazy to call Philly the favourites. Granted, Philly were an unstoppable powerhouse at home and that was something that carried into the finals. (68 words)

Code:
Tell me about who your linemates were this year, and how the season went playing together. Why do you work well together? Why don't you work well together? If there was anyone on your team you don't play with but you'd like to, who is it? Why? If you're a goalie, tell me about your bond with your goaltending partner!

Ricky Koivu was on a line this season with longtime vet and all time Forge point leader Igor Victory, as well as the scoring sensation center Red Kirkby. Koivu is very much a player who doesn't try to have an eye for goal if he can help it, and this definitely meshed well with Kirkby, who is always looking for an opening to test the opposition goalie. Koivu only scored 10 goals on the season, which was quite disappointing, but he was 4th on the team in assists with 43, with most of said assists being on goals by his linemates. Kirkby had an incredible season, scoring a whopping 36 goals, while Victory continued his consistent goal scoring acumen by potting 21. It's a line that works very well as a unit, with the more defensively minded Koivu being a more two way and cautious presence while Kirkby and Victory terrorize the opposition defense. This was taken to another level in the playoffs, where the line was absolutely dominant in the team's run that ended with a cup win. (179 words)

Code:
TRIVIA (3 TPE)

verification word: TPENOW

Code:
Affiliate Task (3 TPE)

ISFL Affiliate

Code:
Milestones (3 TPE)

3 TPE for Milestones

TOTAL TPE: 16

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

GM pass

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2023, 10:06 PM by dogwoodmaple. Edited 5 times in total.)

1. CW TRIVIA 3 TPE

dogwood 

5. Written, 3 TPE, Fire and Light (150 words min)

As much as I want to go with the enormous god bear made of colorful rays of light, I have to go with the Forge here.  Not only is the magma monster huge, but it wields two weapons. Not just the hammer, but also its incredible amount of heat and all the magma that constantly gets thrown and shaken off as it moves around the arena.  The god bear comes off as non-malevolent to stand up in this fight, almost like Dr. Manhattan in Watchmen.  As if the bear itself is so powerful that its power almost transcends space and time and couldn't be bothered to actually engage in fisticuffs with this hammer-wielding magma monster.  I envision the Forge starting off with a swift blow from its hammer across the bear's face, followed its signature move of producing a huge bucket full of molten material and dumping it directly on the bear's head.  When you combine those two moves, there's really no hope for anyone or any thing.  Down goes the bear, with the Forge reigning supreme in this battle of juggernauts.

6. Written, 2 TPE, Haiku Highlights  (5 words min.)

Calgary won games
but not in the postseason
heartbreak, sadness, grief.

7. Milestones

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3331932 (+3 TPE)

18. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)

I was not surprised at all to see Winnipeg advance to the finals, given their incredibly consistent play all season.  I did not predict Philadelphia to even advance multiple rounds in the playoffs, let alone take home the championship. It was truly a testament to their incredible coaching and great camaraderie they had in their locker room to beat the odds and bring home the ultimate hardware. Having five forwards all average more than a point per game was proof of Philadelphia's depth, team-building, and ability to win games in numerous ways.  Often times in the postseason, when a team's best player gets shut down it's the end of the road. But the Forge have the top-end talent and the incredible depth to stay alive even when a player has an off night.  What a run! (2 TPE)

PBE affiliate

https://probaseballexperience.jcink.net/...ntry559113 (+3 TPE)

[Image: pkHEmu9.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2023, 09:17 PM by Festinator. Edited 1 time in total.)

Wheeler

a. Both Winnipeg and Philadelphia have taken the long road of drafting and development to find themselves in the Challenge Cup Finals. Winnipeg in full scale rebuild, and Philadelphia in the expansion draft. Each began nearly 10 seasons ago. From your point of view, which build is more impressive? Full scale teardown to challenge cup, or expansion draft to challenge cup?

While i think both roads to the playoffs impressive and to be commended, I believe that the road Winnipeg took in doing a full scale rebuild is the more impressive road as it means stripping down everything and building from the ground up, which is always risky. With an expansion, you can build a playoff calibre team right off the bat if you wanted, although it wouldn't be successful longterm most likely, so Philadelphia probably went about it the right way.

I think if you are philadelphia you need to take away the options for Rashford to make him less effective. He's racking up those assists because he is able to find the open man with that elite vision so Philly needs to make sure they're not leaving anyone open for him to feed to for easy goals.

If I were winnipeg, I would keep the shots coming, as he has faced a lot of rubber and this could break the goalie down, especially with the quality winnipeg has. They will be able to find the high danger opportunities and then they have players that can finish off those high danger opportunities, regardless of who the goalie is.

4. Written, 3 TPE, Playoffs Shmayoffs (150 words min.)

Write about a time you didn't make the playoffs, and what you did to take your mind off it! Did you expect to miss the playoffs when it happened? Was it a shock? How did you take it? If you've never been on a team that missed the playoffs, tell me about an early exit you made instead.

Luckily Joans has never been in a position where he has not made the playoffs with the team he's been on. In newfoundland when he was in jrs he was in the playoffs all 3 seasons, although got bounced pretty quickly in that 3rd season. With the Panthers, they've always been in the playoffs and even won the Challenge cup one year. Also a couple of 1 and done's there though. With Seattle all Joans has known is the finals. I think some of the early playoff exits with LAP would have hurt the most as those were the ones where we would have expected to go farther and ended up falling short, which was disappointing looking at the teams we had. Each of the first 4 seasons in LAP we exited the playoffs in the 1st round, which was always frustrating trying to figure out what we had to do to take the next step. But we kept at it and finally got through until we won that cup in s65.

6. Written, 2 TPE, Haiku Highlights  (5 words min.)

Rather than giving you a task where you do something boring like "write about your season" using things like "sentences and punctuation" I figured I could instead ask you to write a haiku about how your season went! A haiku is a three line poem where the first line is five syllables, the second is seven, and the third line is five again.

Went for a Three-peat

Got Knocked out in the third round

Just disappointing

Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 7 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
Milestones

Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Is it exciting to have two completely new teams meet in the finals? What did you like or not like about this season?

It was definitely another good season for Joans and Seattle, making back to the conference finals but just not being able to get back Winnipeg, getting beaten in 7 games. I think what really surprised me in the playoffs was Philadelphia getting to the finals and then winning it all. I did not have them getting past the 2nd round so definitely props to them for proving everyone (or at least me) wrong and going all the way to win it, and not only win it but they made quick work of a very very strong Winnipeg team. Hoping to get back into the finals next season though!

[Image: kahnwald.png]
Sig by @Ragnar
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2023, 10:41 PM by Good_Ole_Kimmy. Edited 6 times in total.)

Code:
Walnut
3/16

Code:
This season Jolmi Koivu played for the Simulation Hockey League team Hamilton Steelhawks. Along with right winger Jolmi Koivu on the third line was center Yngve Simonsson and on the left wing was Manny Calavera. Together these three managed to have solid point totals, and play a little less solid on defense for the middling Hamilton Steelhawks team. Koivu had 45 points, good for third on the team, Simonsson had 37 points, sixth on the team, and Calavera had 27 points, eleventh on the team. Look for this line to take a step forward next season as the chemistry improves, these players will definitely take the offseason to get to know each other and practice in order to shore up the defense deficiencies. Jolmi, Simonsson, and Calvert had a plus/minus ratio of -46, -34, and -57. Look forward to next season as this line will prove to be a force for the growing Steelhawks team. (156 words)
6/16

Code:
Thread
9/16

Code:
6. Written, 2 TPE, Haiku Highlights  (5 words min.)
Rather than giving you a task where you do something boring like "write about your season" using things like "sentences and punctuation" I figured I could instead ask you to write a haiku about how your season went! A haiku is a three line poem where the first line is five syllables, the second is seven, and the third line is five again.
Jolmi Koivu, strong,
Stick in hand, eyes on the goal,
Hockey's heart and soul.
11/16

Code:
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Is it exciting to have two completely new teams meet in the finals? What did you like or not like about this season?
As always this was an exciting season for the Simulation Hockey League, topped off with and even more exhilarating playoffs. I think my favorite thing going on right now with the SHL world involves the parity in the league. As someone who has been around for a long time seeing some of the teams that are always on top finally having to rebuild is cool, makes it seem more like a real league which has been lacking heavily in the SHL. Philly winning the league this year doesn't really surprise me, they are a team that is always competing and can win it every year if certain things fall in their favor. (112 words)
13/16

Code:
b.Shutting down Mikko Rashford is no small task, 25 assists in 20 games in remarkable and it will take stellar defense from every player on the ice to stop him because he's elevating the entire Aurora offense. The only way you can stop him is by clogging passing lanes and blocking the easy plays, force him to make the tough passes. (61 words)
c.If I were a coach for the Winnipeg Aurora I would not take the approach of peppering the net in hopes that Base Pack is tired and will let one through. When you are able to perform at an elite level like he is banking on his failure is flawed, you need to bank on your talent and taking good quality shots. (62 words)
d.Obviously I'm writing this after Philly won the cup, but its still such a good matchup. If this goes to another series I think you can make a strong case that Winnipeg could win the next one. Both teams deserve to be here and I don't think anyone can deny that. (51 words)

16/16

[Image: cooldudeam1234.gif]
(Sig Credit: toedragon84)

1 . Trivia word
Tater
3/16
4. Written, 3 TPE, Playoffs Shmayoffs (150 words min.)

Markrus has little playoff experience in the SHL. Coming off of a 4 star cup win in the j’s to missing playoffs in the shl was a tough transition. Makrus knew we weren’t looking good to make playoffs. Edmonton had called up 5 prospects so we were a young team. We knew we had out work cut out for us. Not making playoffs was still a bummer. But it was a bummer we accepted with plans for our future. The team and locker room focus was on how good we will be once the younglings grow up. Unfortunately that never developed and we went on to miss playoffs a few more times over the seasons. Makrus had never seen past the first round of a playoff game until this season. All that time waiting and working to make a good playoff run finally turned into something after 7 seasons of waiting. Hopefully never again.
6/16

6. Written, 2 TPE, Haiku Highlights (5 words min.)
Scoring fewer goals
Whole team working together
Next season we cup

8/16

Stones BB
11/16

20. Written / Graphic, 3 TPE, Seige Engine (150 words min.)
If you are going to siege a castle you will need some pack rams. A pack ram is a large ram pole, like a log or stone pillar, suspended by ropes so that it can be swung at a gate door or potentially even a wall. The housing around the pack ram would have wolves shapes and provide cover for the people pushing the ram and eventually ramming with it. hand spouts would stick out of the pole giving each person ramming more leverage to maximize damage. Like a pack this weapon only works if everyone works together and plays their part. The pack ram protects the pack while the pack coordinates their attack to bring down the gate. Like the leader of a pack the pack ram is in front and the rest of the army is dependent on them. If they can’t succeed the siege is doomed to fail. Did I mention the head of the pole is carved into a wolf head. Ya that sounds pretty cool

14/16

22. Written, 2 TPE, Hope and Hapiness (100 words min.)
I got to take a recent trip to Florida and visit my grandfather. It was the first summer he has been there without grandma and the whole family decided to go visit him. Honestly it was such a good time. We are all adults now and live in various places. While most of my family is pretty close together, I am not. So, I got to spend several days surrounded by family I don’t get to see too often. Felt like when we were kids and would go visit grandma and grandpa. Sleeping on couches and air mattresses or just the floor. The only downside is my body doesn’t take to sleeping in a rocking chair like it used to.
16/16

[Image: qm0v49d.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2023, 10:33 PM by jlutz14. Edited 2 times in total.)

16 TPE Total

+1.5 TPE - Trivia Participation
+3 TPE - Milestones
+3 TPE - PBE Affiliate
+3 TPE - Task 4

This was a really fun story to think of because it was from one of the first times I can remember taking losing seriously.  In minor hockey, our team failed to qualify for the playoffs when I was 7 years old.  I was playing up a league against better competition, but my team was lackluster at best.  I had a solid season, but it was not enough because no one else on the team was competing, and were largely mismatched physically and mentally.  To cope with this loss and the failure to make the playoffs, I spend a bunch of time crying, but quickly my emotions shifted as I went to get ice cream with my family.  The negative emotions lasted for a few days, but with school and everything else going on in my life, it was easy to move on and get back to training.  Plus, other sports allowed me to focus on those for a time and remain balanced.

+3 TPE - Task 3

This season in Kelowna, my linemates switched up a bit, but we were able to develop strong chemistry for most of the season, particularly the second half of the year.  After a rough few weeks to start the season, things really started to click for me on the 2nd line.  A natural winger, I played most of the season as the 2nd line center between Adam Liebold and Petr Vrana.  We clicked, largely outscoring opponents at 5 on 5 and producing both offensively and defensively.  I was able to put up good stats in the Corsi and Fenwick departments with my line partners, who capitalized by putting up a ton of points.  I also played a bit with Mito Chondria, Jacques Hammer, and Wonada Jagrs, who also had solid seasons.  I was very happy to play with these teammates; however with Liebold and Hammer getting the call up to the SHL, things may look a bit different next season.

+2 TPE - Task 6

Ekaterina (5)
Really is quite a monster (7)
But we lost sadly (5)

1 TPE - Task 2 - d.

I know the games finished up already, but I had predicted that Winnipeg would win this season.  Winnipeg has been a top team for the last few seasons, and I felt that this would finally be the year where things would finally click for them in the playoffs.  It seems like things did to some extent here, but ultimately it was not enough.

[Image: lutz-first-sig-shl.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2023, 09:25 PM by LampLighter. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. Verification Word: Max
+3 TPE

3. My linemates this year for Newfoundland were Antoine Beauregard at right wing and John Hopoate at center. This season for our line went pretty well. We were line one for Newfoundland this season and were ranked one, three, and six in points this season. Our line works really well together and were able to create a lot of offensive opportunities to be able to put the puck in the net to be able to lead Newfoundland to a playoff run. Our line works really well together because we are able to play off of each other in the offensive zone really well and understand what each person wants to do when they have the puck on their stick. The thing that we did not work as well at this season that we hoped to was play in the defensive zone thus giving up a lot of goals. Our line had the worst plus minus on the team so we scored a lot of goals and we also gave up a lot of goals. Hopefully we are able to turn that around for next season moving forward. +3 TPE

4. During my first year with Newfoundland we did not make the playoffs. What I did to take my mind off of not being in the playoffs, was working on myself to make myself a better player for the future seasons that I would be playing in. During my first year, it was not a shock to us that we were not going to make the playoffs because we were a very young team and ended up coming in dead last place during the regular season. What was a shock was That we did not feel that we were going to come in dead last and we thought we would’ve had a better finish during the regular season. With it being only my first year on the team, I did not take missing the playoffs too hard, because I knew I had future seasons with Newfoundland to be able to make the playoffs and try to win a championship. +3 TPE

6. +2 TPE
Matiss in playoffs
A solid run through playoffs
No championship

7. Milestones: https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3331967 +3 TPE

18. For the first time being in the playoffs with Newfoundland, I thought that we had a pretty good run through the playoffs, but ultimately did not reach our goal of winning a championship. As far as what we were expecting to do in the playoffs I thought that we had a good enough team to be able to make the finals but unfortunately were unable to get past the conference championship round. I really like that this year as a team we really came to play and were able to make a good and long run with everybody on the team producing for the team's success. +2 TPE

1. CW Trivia (3)
Gatorade

7. Milestones (3)
+3 Woop

2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag (3)
a. Both Winnipeg and Philadelphia have taken the long road of drafting and development to find themselves in the Challenge Cup Finals. Winnipeg in full scale rebuild, and Philadelphia in the expansion draft. Each began nearly 10 seasons ago. From your point of view, which build is more impressive? Full scale teardown to challenge cup, or expansion draft to challenge cup?

I think expansion drafts are inherently more difficult than a full scale rebuild. With a full rebuild, you've got the ability to sell previously valuable assets and pick your return, or thoroughly negotiate your return. In an expansion draft, you're literally taking the scraps off the plates of other teams. That's much harder to build upon, especially since the majority of those players likely don't carry much value to other teams when attempting to maybe move those players for other more desirable assets. Just a much tougher spot to be in.

I think when playing against an elite playmaker, you have to focus on your own defense and coverage in your own zone. It's not about overly committing to the shooters or on Rashford, but rather about making sure every man is covered and everyone is playing solid defense. There's no excuse for allowing anyone open, or slacking off in your own end.

Is that really their goalie's name? Base Pack? But 29 saves a game isn't really that much to me, not sure if that's high here in the SHL. I think a cup finals goalie would be able to shoulder that sort of workload, especially without back to backs. Regardless, the solution for Winnipeg is to continue their offensive dominance that got them to this point. If you can just consistently pump out shots, then you're really wearing down their goalie, not with this 29 shots per game thing.

6. Written, 2 TPE, Haiku Highlights  (5 words min.) (2)

Leon and Sophie
Leon just watches Sophie
Sophie scores the goals

22. Written, 2 TPE, Hope and Hapiness (100 words min.) (2)

I've asked this before, but since it may be my final time writing CW, I wanted to ask it again. It was one of my favourite questions to read responses to. Tell me something that happened recently that you enjoyed, something that brings you happiness, or something you have hope for in the future. It could be a huge thing like buying a house or a small thing like having fun with your lockerroom this season. I just want to give you a chance to write down something positive.

Well right now it's a little tough to have all the hope and happiness due to work stuff primarily. But I've been planning some concerts to go to with friends this summer and it's looking pretty awesome. Right now it's looking like I'll at least be seeing Fall Out Boy, Bring me the Horizon, Falling in Reverse, Ice Nine Kills and Slaughter to Prevail, all of whom I really enjoy and have been trying to see live for many years. It's nice to have friends now who enjoy the same kind of music as me and are also excited to go and see these bands live. In the SHL, I'm feeling like it's the end of my career with Leon as regression and my casual (and sometimes inactive) earning is really biting my ass. I have truly enjoyed all the teams and locker rooms I've been a part of, so I am leaning towards recreating at this point, maybe after this next season. I will just give a quick general shoutout to all the awesome folks who I shared a locker room with, and especially to the ones who helped me out and gave me a home to play. 

5. Written, 3 TPE, Fire and Light (150 words min) (3)

Last season I loved the anthropormorphic boats vs. bulls question because people came up with some really fun answers to read, so I'm going to ask it again with the Forge and the Aurora, even though these teams' have less concrete branding. Tell me who wins in a fight: an enormous god bear made of colourful rays of light, or a massive magma monster with a giant hammer. The arena and the rules of the fight can be whatever you desire. Get creative!

I don't know if whoever is reading this has watched One Piece, but this does give me some parallels on how the dynamic would go. On one hand, being made of light is nearly impossible to inflict damage upon, maybe even totally impossible. However, if the light can be weaponized into some concentrated beam, I think that the offensive capabilities are enormous. However there's also the flip side that the bear made of light can't actually land any physical attacks since it's....made of light. By that logic, I don't think anyone would be able to win that fight since one of the entrants simply can't land any attacks or take any damage. UNLESS the magma bear can use the magma to form some sort of cocoon around the light bear and essentially trap the bear and the light inside and fill the whole space with lava. Then the light would just get extinguished by the solidified lava and would cease to exist. So maybe this is actually harder to determine than I initially thought. So essentially my take is that if the bear can make concentrated beams of light to form damage, the bear wins. Otherwise the magma monster wins due to being able to extinguish the light bear's light.

Bungus

Wack
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3331985

[Image: Screenshot_87.png]

Code:

DAD

Code:

a. A full scale rebuild is more impressive in my opinion, as Winnipeg needed to build with lower amount TPE players. As an expansion team, it is possible to draft players that are already solid in the SHL, even if they were not protected by their old team. Building with rookies needs more patience in my opinion, as you really need to draft well and hope your players will be active long enough. (72 words = 1 TPE)

b. I think it is a better idea to shutdown an elite playmaker like Rashford before shutting down goal scorers. Rashford is the main piece of Winnipeg's offense, so if you manage to shutdown them, you will be fine. Playmaker's vision is so good that they can make an almost impossible pass or they can squeeze through the defence. They also can hypnotized the opposing team's defence by handling the puck long enough so their teammates will be able to get open and claim the pass to score a goal. (89 words = 1 TPE)

c. An exhausted goalie, even if they are on fire, will start to weaken one day or another. If I'm Winnipeg, I just non-stop shoot on BASE PACK. A goalie that is that hot can be difficult to beat, but 500 saves in 17 GP is pretty high and BASE PACK will surely start getting exhausted. Sometimes a goalie is so hot that he has no weakness. He manages to expect where the pucks are being shoot every single time. But BASE PACK is human, exhaustion can cause him to lose a game and boom, momentum has change. (97 words. = 1TPE)

d. Well... it's too late to predict as the finals are already done, but I was hoping that Winnipeg would won the finals. JUST, Elias, Farquaads and Rashford are among my favorite players in the SHL. Lespoils is also one of my best friend IRL so I sure have a preference. He won one cup with Chicago, but quit Seattle just before they won their first Challenge Cup ever. He and Jess deserve the best in this league and I hope they will win another cup together if lespoils' new player manage to play with Elias. (95 words = 1 TPE)

4 TPE IN TOTAL

Code:

I played with AJ Williams and Chris McZherl Jr this year and I could not hope for better linemates. In Texas, we were called the Young Guns line as we are the youngest forwards on the team. The chemistry was awesome tbh, even if as a team it was difficult, we gave our 100% every game. Our roles are complementary and these guys were the best for me, as I think they are (with Boots and Dionne) are best players on the team. Texas' future is bright and I hope I will play with at least on rookie every season after this one. If Williams, McZherl and myself manage to work hard like we did last season, I'm sure we will make way more noise in the next couple seasons. We were very underrated I think because none of us managed to have more than a PPG, but we are also still young comparing to the best lines in the league. The Young Guns will come back stronger than ever and I also hope I will play with these guys for the rest of my career. (186 words)

3 TPE

Code:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

S69 Milestones

Code:
15. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Tell me about your team! What are your expectations for your player? What teams are you watching out for this time around? Did last season's results surprise you?

My prediction is that Finland will win this year. I don't know what happened last season, but we were so close to win another final. Sweden is a pretty solid team, but I think we have that it takes to win it all again. With Svoboda, McHits, Kekkonen, Rashford and the others we are pretty stacked to be honest. I hope we will manage to at least go to the final again. Oh and it is also my first ever year as a IIHF player! I have an ordinary WJC career, but I hope I will be able to help Finland IIHF team! I know that my role will be a little one, but I will do everything I can to earn more and more TPE so I will be a solid player for our nation. I don't expect a lot from myself, but at least I hope I'll score some goals! LET'S GO WINLAND! (155 Words)

3 TPE

ALL 16 TPE ARE DONE!

[Image: dad.png]

David-Arturri Donskoi
Regina Elk
Hey I'm DAD can I adopt you?
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2023, 10:16 PM by Drokeep. Edited 6 times in total.)

1-Trivia Bagel (3tpe)

4- (3TPE)
Philly has made the playoffs every season I've been there so It really has not been an issue, but we've hard some tough early exits. In fact, before this cup win, we had never made it past the first round. But of all of those devastating loses, none hurt more than our loss to Buffalo. We were going into the matchup with not too many hopes. Buffalo was a dominating force and we stood no hope in that matchup. But then the miracles started coming. We tied 1-1... and then we won back to back games to take us to a 3-1 lead. Unbelievable. But then catastrophe struck. We lost the next 3 games in a row, including one in philly, to get knocked out yet again in the first round. That loss made me almost completely lose hope for further runs, but it all paid off in S69 with our first cup!

5- (3tpe)
This will be of course very non biased answer, but THERES NO WAY IN HELL OUR MAGMA MONSTER DOESNT BEAT THAT PUNY "GOD" BEAR OF LIGHT. First off, we actually beat them in hockey, so no shot they beat us in this made up scenario. As for the actual fight itself, I would like to see that puny bear bite SCALDING HOT MAGMA OF DEATH, without getting burnt like a crispy chicken nugget next to a nuclear explosion. Then comes the issue that this supposed god of light emanates some puny colorful light, while our solid strong magma emanates a gorgeous strong radiant light of fire magma and destruction. Basically to sum it all up, the aurora bear has no possible hope to win this matchup. In none of the 14 million universes do they win this match... unless on the playoffs prior to the resim but who knows, but that is a tale for another universe

6- (2tpe)
Fighting for the cup
A team bonded through turmoil
Victory at last

7- milestones (3tpe) https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3331988

18 (2tpe)
Bias aside, it was great to havy 2 new teams in the finals, and not only that, but 2 new winners possible. Thats being said, IM SO HAPPY IT WAS PHILLY!!!! We really wanted that cup badly and felt we could go the way after fighting a close series with ATL. That being said the whole playoff run was completely unexpected even for me. I knew we were good but I was pleasantly surprised to go all the way like that! Perhaps the lack of pressure made it more enjoyable and made everything such a great historic trip. Id love for us to repeat next year but if not, have a new pair of teams in the final!

Raptors Raptors  Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors

Forge Forge Forge Forge Forge Forge 

Germany Germany Germany Germany Germany Germany 

[Image: drokeep.gif]