Create Account

S52 SMJHL PT 6 - MVPs

I have to acknowledge the work that my top defense pairing did for me here in Carolina.
Kraken Defense Pair #1 Kraken
Ricky Bobby – Zbigniew Pokrywka
These two combine high octane transition offense with a willingness to protect the house. That’s always something a goaltender appreciates. They are quick to clear the crease to enable me to see the shooting lane, they’re vocal and quick to read off of my plays when I leave the crease to play the puck, and they try to keep the defense to a minimum by using strong gaps to force turnovers in an attempt to keep the puck on the opponent’s side of the ice rather than our own.
They both aren’t completely defensive defenseman, boasting 80 Defense attributes, but have well balanced builds all around their core defense attributes. They really help settle the play down and allow me to play my position and do my job much more effectively?

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

I had the pleasure of spending most of the season on the Raptors second defensive pairing. I played primarily with Heat Siecker and Denver Wolfe as they rotated time on the first pairing with Daniel Kuster. Both players are old time raptors veterans who had been around for years and really had a strong feel for the SMJHL game that I was lacking to start the year. They both played a similar type of two way game that I aspire to be, so playing alongside them was an excellent way to learn how I needed to adjust my game to not only keep up with them, but our opponents as well. Wolfe in particular was spectacular, and I was happy to feed him the puck and watch him put up the numbers, with 9 goals and 33 assists on the year while also having +10 plus/minus. While the raptors had plenty of big names on the forward line, guys like Wolfe provided the blue line depth that made the Raptors one of the stingiest defenses in the SMJHL, surrendering only 147 goals, good for 2nd fewest in the league.

Both Siecker and Wolfe are moving on, but I hope to be able to internalize their lessons and leadership and provide that to the Raptors next year and help mentor new rookies like they did for me.

[Image: vDWeWJB.png]
Sig By Carpy48
Selected #14 Overall to the Colorado Raptors
Selected #9 Overall to the Calgary Dragons
Finland Dragons Raptors
[Image: zdXC6eb.png][Image: 8b7dmkE.png]

They always say, you will always remember the line you score your first goal with. Playing on the 3rd line with Bale and Ethan Price, all I needed to do was keep my stick on the ice and I knew I would get Grade A scoring chances. Both Bale and Ethan Price have such amazing shots at 80 SC that any shot they release will handcuff the opposing goaltender. Stick on Ice, Tap in. First goal of my career. All I needed to do was give them the puck and they handled the rest. It made playing with them such a fun time on ice. We were a shooting gallery and made any goaltender fear us. Sadly, I did not get to play with them the whole season, as I was shuffled into a more defensive role in the team, but I will never forget the time playing with Balesy and Pricey.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2020, 11:08 PM by mastersheep.)

I would have to say my toughest competition had to be the Outlaws top defense pairing of Ursin Zimmerman and Nicholas Owens. While we did win the season series, it had little to do with these two. They played a lot of minutes against our club and even had a few timely goals against us. Zimmerman is more of a slick skater while Owens is the heavy hitter of the two and I think that it’s this combination that makes them quite scary to opposing forwards like me. I personally did not score any goals while they were on the ice and I had two goals against Anaheim on the season. Now they have helped lead their team to a cup final and it’s really not a surprise to me that they have gotten this far. They both have played very strong defense, blocking many shots, and playing a lot of time on the penalty kill for their team. They have also improved a great deal with their discipline. In the regular season they had 84 PIM between the two in 50 games, but now have only 12 in the 10 games they have played in the postseason. I think this has contributed immensely in their great success.

[Image: CAu3g3c.png]

[Image: zS2lCMp.png]  [Image: oMh09WY.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wu5MVvy.png]  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

I think one of the best lines in league are Scarecrows first line, not because I'm playing with them together in team but because they are very productive.

Danny Marston                             Ruslan Zaporozhets                        James Ronlain 
         (GP:50 G:12 A:15 P:27 +/-: 11)     (GP: 50 G:16 A:30 P:46 +/-:11)    (GP:50 G:26 A:24 P:50 +/-:13)
         Flash Gordon                                   Axel Meszaros ®
          (GP:50 G:7 A:38 P:45 +/-: 8)             (GP: 50 G:4 A:12 P:16 +/-:-4)
Look at the numbers. They are team leaders. And Axel Meszaros is just a rookie and yes, he's stats not the best in the team but if he isn't good why is he in the first line? That's not because we haven't defence players but because he is very talanted player. Forward line is absolutely one of the bests in league. 50 points for Ronlain , oh boy, yes he isn't first year player but proves that there can be a team leader. One of the factors for their leadership is great rookies behind them. There's competition on the team and it is not easy to get more time on the ice. 

The best line I had the pleasure of playing with this season was line of Danny Marston, Ruslan Zaporozhets, and James Ronlain, as that was the top line of the Scarecrows this season. This past season they combined for a total of 54 goals which accounted for 33% of the team's goals this season. They all had +/-'s of at least +11 which was the best of any line on the team and definitely helped a rookie defenseman like myself. The thing that makes them so lethal is how complimentary they are with each other as Marston is the playmaker down the middle that dishes the puck to the two shooters on the wing in Zapo and Ronlain, both of which have the ability to defend in their own end as well, which takes a lot of pressure off the defensive pairing behind them, which as a rookie in the league was more than welcome at times as I got more used to the speed of the game.

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

In my opinion the line that I had the very misfortune of playing against belong to the St. Louis Scarecrows. This line consisted of James Ronlain, Ruslan Zaporozhets, and Trey Nets. James Ronlain had 26 goals and 24 assists for 50 points this season. Zaporozhets had 16 goals and 30 assists for 46 points. Trey Nets was not as productive with only 11 points and 15 points for 26 points. Both Ronlain and Zaporohets had an extremely high +/-'s and were really just unstoppable together. This was especially true on the power play they just continued to feed each other and their really was not much any team could do about. If a team focuses primarily on stopping one of them, the other would be right there wide open waiting to bang one home. Trey Nets knew what he had to do on that line and executed it flawlessly. All I have to say is I am glad I never had to face them in the playoffs.

[Image: blurrybad.jpg] [Image: zomboy3.png]
Thank you Brandon, Fish, GeckoeyGecko, Karey, Kit, takethehorizon, and Ragnar for the sigs!
[Image: Pw202QP.jpeg]

Player Page || Update page

I had an alright season, bouncing a little bit between the second and third lines, but never even getting a sniff at the top unit. And why was that? Because they were one of the most deadly top lines in the SMJHL. Ryan Shepard, Andrey Barbashev II, and Gylfi Eriksson were the headliners on the Knights depth chart this past season, and I feel that they deserve some recognition. Eriksson led the pack with 50 points on the season, 23 of them being goals. Him and Barbashev II were the main goal scoring threats on the team, with Shepard taking a backseat and focusing more on the playmaking side of the game. Shepard put up 48 points, with 31 of them coming as assists, while Barbashev put up an even 21 goals and assists for 42 points. This top line all had shooting percentages greater than 10% as well, with Eriksson leading the line with a 16.43% shooting percentage. These players will likely leave the Knights next season, but they had an MVP year in their last SMJHL hurrah!

Player Page || Update Thread
[Image: ffBCCRQ.png]

Raptors Colorado Raptors Raptors

Daniel Kuster (48 pts, +-: +15) - Denver Wolfe (42 pts, +-: +10)

This defence pair is out of this world. With 90 combined points in 50 games in the regular season they dominated the ice when they had the puck. With great puck moving they made sure we didn't get hold down in our own end of the ice and in the offence zone they were always lethal. The +- rating also shows that these two were not irresponsible on their own end and made sure that the puck stayed out of our goal while they were scoring. The couple games I got between the pipes I learned that when when these guys were on the ice I could relax. Both of them showed a great composure when things didn't go as planned and took the on ice leadership role making plays on offence and shutdown the enemy's top lines night after night. When you have almost point per game as a D-man you know that you are a important part of the team going towards the Laurifer trophy.

[Image: HuuveriCUDA.png]
 Raptors Raptors Sweden Thanks to @JSS for the sig! Sweden Barracuda Barracuda 

The Big Skree
Cal Labovitch (LW) - Luke McMaster © - Kaarlo Kekkonen

The Detroit Falcons had a stellar season finishing first overall in the League. With a large contingent of rookies with next to no TPE, the Big Skree had to step up throughout the season. This line combined for a total of 164 points in 50 games. Kekkonen with a stellar 29 goals and 33 assists finished the season with a 1.24 point per game average. Labovitch was not far behind with 19 goals and 35 assists. His PPG was not far behind at 1.08. McMaster finished with 15 goals and 33 assists, coming just 2 points short of a 50 point season. His PPG average was .98. This line also averaged just about 20 minutes a game, really calling on their endurance during the regular season.

Even off the ice the Big Skree took the rookies under their wings and helped motivate and drive the new Falcons. Their efforts paid off with three rookies (Williams Topalo and Kane-Reilley II) finishing in the top 10 scoring for Rookies this season.

[Image: topalo2.png] [Image: sig-nash.png]
[Image: Rangerjasegmailcom.gif]

I haven't had the opportunity to really stick on a pairing for long due to me being a rookie as well as splitting some time between multiple teams. However with that being said, I think my favorite pairing has to be the one I had in the playoffs with Magnus Liljestrom. All season long I struggled to maintain success attacking the net despite that being my strength, however after being paired with Magnus all my luck had changed for the better. We both hit our strides  up until the last couple of games against the St Louis Scarecrows. Although the season may not have ended the way we wanted it to, the both of us playing at a high level in the SMJHL playoffs had really showed Detroit that they may have found their pairing of the future.

Magnus who was the more responsible one of us had led all rookies (at the time) in playoff points with a fantastic 10 points (2 Goals, 8 Assists) in 9 games. Whereas I enjoyed playing a more offensive-focused game with 8 points (4 goals, 4 assists) in 9 games. After the playoffs I believe that Detroit's in good hands defensively with both of us having great rookie seasons and there is hope for the Falcons to take another step forward next season.

[Image: jackkanoff.gif]

[Image: jeffiesigs.gif]
Nour is pretty hot ngl

Almost every minute of regular season I was playing alongside my compatriot Abel Skinner. Being the top D pair for the now Maine Timber, previously known as the Halifax Raiders, we had a fair amount of pressure to preform on all 200ft. of the ice. It was certainly tough but having Abel, or as we call him Principal Skinner, watching over us telling us to get back faster, shouting commands from the backline while Cap Al Kayhall worked the commands up-ice was a great combo. I could always trust the Skin-man to cover any mistakes and he was pretty good at slinging the puck as well. He is much more of a shooter, while I prefer to pass, together I think we really complimented each other defensively and could trust the other player. I think he was certainly more disciplined than me and that is something I plan on improving greatly in this offseason, he taught me a ton, and that's what I needed most, someone to point out my area's of improvement. Skinner has been a star and I hope to be on the same line with him next season. 

S52 Stats
Abel Skinner | G: 13 | A: 35 | +/-: -16 | AMG: 22.77
Valentin Kalashnikov | G: 4 | A: 11 | +/-: -7 | AMG: 21.86

[Image: 81ImQYu.png][Image: suavemente.gif][Image: QD85cmZ.png]
     Platoon    Timber

PBE PT

[Image: woelkers.gif]

Armada  Chris de Siren - Anchorage Armada  Armada

I think my best line that I worked with ended up being the line I was on all year.  In the playoffs I moved up to the first line, where statistically I was on the best line, but through the regular season I felt most at home with my buddies on the third.  It wasn’t so much lethality that made the line the best line, it was our chemistry, our shared struggle defensively, and our own misfortunes and luck combined.  We had a great deal of fun even though that final stretch of games was considerably rough, but it didn’t let us down and only made us want to work harder.
Santtu Rasanen and I both worked hard on our defensive capabilities, increasing our attributes in the defensive stat over 30 points per Next Gen Stats reports. Combined though our line did very poorly on defense since we had Braden Lowrie on the lower end with a defensive stat sitting at 62 per Next Gen Stats reports. It hurt a bit but we trudged through even though we all ended with the league worst +/- where I earned an impressively disappointing -29. (192 Words)

Chris de Siren - S52 Anchorage Armada | S53 Calgary Dragons 19th Ovr Draft Pick 

[Image: qc4SnW8.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2020, 09:41 PM by Paq.)

The best line that I had the pleasure of playing with this season was my own. Myself and Luc-Pierre Lespineau-Lebrunette were a beautiful duo, like thunder and lightning. He was the thunder, me the lightning. His physical style (an absurd 153 PIM and 193 hits) complimented my finesse (10 goals, 15 assists, just 1 hit) perfectly. He cleared the way for me to dip, duck, and dodge my way through our opponents and either score or set my teammates up to do so. He packed a little bit of his own punch on the offensive side, providing 14 assists. Our competing styles clearly worked well together as we combined for +10 and helped the Scarecrows into the SMJHL finals against Detroit. Although we ultimately came up short, it was a blast playing with him this season. With Flash Gordon and Axel Meszaros likely to stay down next season, I look forward to another productive campaign playing on line two with LPLL.

NSFL/PBE: speculadora

[Image: xOtrQ61.gif]