Create Account

S65 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2022, 06:21 PM by JamesT. Edited 2 times in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Jammin

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. An LAP team that was disappointed in a S63 finals loss is back again to face a TBB team that has been hungry for their chance in the entire FHM era. Who are you taking as a winner and why?
b. Tampa Bay’s top forwards have been absolute power houses on this run, totalling 102 points across their top 6. If you’re LA, how do you line-match against two lines that are on an absolute tear?
c. L.A.’s D pair of Kierkegaard and Kahnwald are maintaining a shocking 2 more GF/60 than GA/60, despite playing more than 21 minutes a game including PK time. If you’re Tampa Bay how do you get around these two? Hope to outlast them in endurance, or look to more depth scoring?
d. TBB’s roster has racked up many more shot blocks (294) than LAP has (188). Do you see this as a good thing? Is this an iron willed team that’s willing to lay down their bodies to get the job done, or do you think it paints a picture of a team that can’t maintain possession and has to find another way to keep the puck out. Maybe a bit of both?

a. My brain is suggesting that LAP should win this series as they have been dominant the entire season and have the most TPE roster wise in the entire SHL. However, TBB winning would be an underdog story finally getting their moment because have had good regular seasons but could just never get over the hump in the playoffs until this season. I would have to say LAP will win the cup this season. 

(73 words)

b. If I was the strategizing as LAP trying to figure out how to line match against TBB's top line, I would look to have my defensive/checking line be on the ice whenever that line is on the ice. I would make sure that my top D pairing are out there as well to shut them down. 

(57 words)

c. If I was TBB and wanted to avoid LAP's D pair of Kierkegaard and Kahnwald, I would split up my top players and spread out the offence on all 3 lines. I doubt LAP would want to split up their top D pair as they have been consistently amazing all season long and have established chemistry together. 

(57 words)

d. I would say that having more shot blocks is a double-edged sword in terms of your teams performance. In this case, it shows that TBB is willing to get in front of the puck and sacrifice the body to help block shots, but that also means they aren't playing on the offense more and are playing more in their own defensive zone. 

(62 words)

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Do You Touch It? (150 words min.)
In the NHL there’s a well known superstition that any team that touches their conference championship trophy won’t win the Stanley Cup. Are there any superstitions like that in the SHL playoffs? If so, what are they? Where do they come from? Does your team or your player believe in them? Why or why not?

It has been a tradition that the conference champions do not touch the conference trophy when participating in the ceremony upon winning the 3rd round in the playoffs. However, we have seen that the NHL Tampa Bay Lightning don't follow that superstition and have touched that trophy twice and have won back to back cups! They even held the trophy and skated off with it as well.

For me personally, I would follow the lead of my captain and follow what they would do upon taking the team photo.  

A superstition that happens in the SHL playoffs would be for various members to wish me a happy birthday (even though they do this almost everyday). However, not that in Chicago we just acquired Pasta the Turtle I can see this superstition continue even more in our locker room during the playoffs. 

We also always say "WEH" when we win a game and I have no idea where that originated from but it's just funny to see everyone spam that when we win a game, so that has become a thing we do in our locker room now. 

(187 words)

Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, Mysterious Person 150 words min
Make up an important character from SHL history. Tell me their name, what their job was, and why they’re important. Maybe they were an eccentric team owner? An agent that represented half the league? Heck, make it a real person from SHL history if you want! I’m always down to hear cool old SHL stories!

An important character from the SHL for me would have to be Hannah, aka @mer, aka "Aksel Fiske". Although she only joined in S62 as part of the reddit draft class, she has been one of my best friends in the SHL and has made my 2nd player re-create even more enjoyable than my 1st player. Hannah is a person who you can always chat with about anything and her positive energy can help alleviate any stress you may have. 

There was a reason she was drafted 1st OA by the Manhattan  Rage in S62 and I am still surprised she is in other sim leagues and has time to have league jobs in them. 

I have joined Hannah in QCC game nights and she is even more fun to interact with in voice calls and is extremely friendly as well. I hope that Hannah continues to be active in the SHL and other people have the chance to interact with her if they can! 

(165 words)

Code:
6. Written, 3 TPE, New Stat (150 words min.)
I work for the FHM dev team and I’m giving you, sweet user, the ability to add any stat you want to our player build system. Footwork? Sure! Stink level? Why not! Stomach capacity? Ok… I guess so! Tell me what stat you want to add, and how you imagine it’ll affect the sim.

Thank you FHM dev team for giving me the power to add any stat in the hockey world to add into the mystical sim world that is FHM8.it would have to be the attribute of "Focus". At the end of the day we're all human and have emotions or other things factoring into our hockey play. Some games or days we might not be 100% focused or completely honed into the game that day. This would have a high factor into performance as a "Mental Attribute" because in most sports we have learned that mental is just as or not even more important than the physical aspect when playing a sport.

I would assume this would be a based and locked stat in FHM, because currently we can only adjust two mental ratings for skaters which are "Aggression" and "Bravery" which doesn't really get any TPE allocated towards it because from what I have seen it's not that big of a factor for the sim engine.

It will be interesting to see how the SHL adjusts once we swap from FHM6 to FHM8 and if this "Focus" attribute would be a "meta" stat or just a stat most people would tend to ignore.  I would predict this would be locked and everyone would have a 15 focus rating. 

(218 words)

Code:
7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

Milestone Claim link

Total: 16/16 TPE (Did milestones in case got trivia wrong)

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: aRCIyeu.png]
[Image: kILVP74.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Gm cw pass

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2022, 11:57 PM by Valpix. Edited 1 time in total.)

Quote:1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
Spaghetti.

Quote:2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. An LAP team that was disappointed in a S63 finals loss is back again to face a TBB team that has been hungry for their chance in the entire FHM era. Who are you taking as a winner and why?
b. Tampa Bay’s top forwards have been absolute power houses on this run, totalling 102 points across their top 6. If you’re LA, how do you line-match against two lines that are on an absolute tear?
c. L.A.’s D pair of Kierkegaard and Kahnwald are maintaining a shocking 2 more GF/60 than GA/60, despite playing more than 21 minutes a game including PK time. If you’re Tampa Bay how do you get around these two? Hope to outlast them in endurance, or look to more depth scoring? 
d. TBB’s roster has racked up many more shot blocks (294) than LAP has (188). Do you see this as a good thing? Is this an iron willed team that’s willing to lay down their bodies to get the job done, or do you think it paints a picture of a team that can’t maintain possession and has to find another way to keep the puck out. Maybe a bit of both?
a. I'm going with the Panthers. That S63 loss is still stuck in their minds, they were the best team in the regular season this year, and they just knocked out a very strong reigning champ in the Syndicate. They're deep, talented, and battle-tested, and throw in having a hot goalie for good measure. (53 words)

b. A big part of that offense for Tampa Bay thus far has been Michael Fitted's 19.6% shooting percentage, nearly twice what he shot in the regular season, and their numbers did also benefit from playing the worst team in the playoffs back in round 1. If he regresses to the mean, Tampa Bay's offense, while still potent, will be slowed down a bit just through that. (66 words)
c. When you're in the playoffs, you find a second wind, so I don't think outlasting them on endurance is the answer. It's looking to depth and line-matching. Teams will always focus on shutting down your main threats in the playoffs, it's about who steps up and can compensate for that. (50 words)
d. It's always a bit of both, but Tampa Bay's players have tended to turn profits on the Corsi meter this postseason. However, they're nowhere near as strong in possession as the Panthers are; LA has nobody with a playoff CF% below 55% - a rate only five Barracuda boys break. Raw numbers without context do make it tricky to determine a true right answer, though. (64 words)

Quote:3. Written, 3 TPE, Four Star (150 words min.)

Tell me what each of the four stars on the Four Star Cup stands for! Some will say it’s for each of the four divisions in the SMJHL, but you and I know better! What four things are embodied in the SMJHL’s greatest trophy?

Now that the fifth season has been eliminated, you could argue that each star on the Four Star Cup stands for the four chances you have to win the trophy, which is one of the toughest to win in the SHL because of the time limit - especially after a dynasty hoovered up the last few. That being said, I like the idea of them standing for more than that. One for community, because the SMJHL is the first thing new members partake in when joining the league; one for development, the goal of the junior league above all others; one for history, with it being an annual championship with a rich tradition; and one for the present, because right here, right now, you proved that you were the best team in the J. Those last two could use some workshopping, and frankly I like the "four chances" thought more, but it works for me. (154 words)

Quote:6. Written, 3 TPE, New Stat (150 words min.)

I work for the FHM dev team and I’m giving you, sweet user, the ability to add any stat you want to our player build system. Footwork? Sure! Stink level? Why not! Stomach capacity? Ok… I guess so! Tell me what stat you want to add, and how you imagine it’ll affect the sim.

I assume this actually means attributes used in player builds and not statistics that result in milestones. Assuming I'm right, the one I'd add is to spice goaltending up. I'm not sure if FHM/the SHL actually accounts for the trapezoid being a thing, but in my headcanon it isn't (because the trapezoid is Stupid And Bad), so I'd add a new goalie attribute for eccentricity. How willing a goalie is to get out of his net and play the puck or something. I grew up in the mid-2000s, and one of my favorite goalies of that era was Marty Turco of the Dallas Stars, and he'd have a pretty damn high eccentricity rating because the man loved to journey out of his crease to play the puck. How it affects the sim depends on build: when combined with good puckhandling it can turn a goalie into a genuine threat to spring a teammate on a breakaway, with poor skating or puckhandling it leaves the net totally ajar giving the opposition a scoring chance. I am an agent of chaos, and as a proud member of the anti-trapezoid gang it would be really fun to see genuine puck-handling goalies in the SHL. (202 words)

Quote:7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

+3 TPE - Milestones

16/16

[Image: valpix.gif][Image: 20XRTsR.png]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @Symmetrik, @Merica, @enigmatic, and @sulovilen for the sigs! 
Avi courtesy of @MN_Moosey
[Image: kcP9WEd.png]
Citadelles Switzerland
Citadelles Switzerland Stars Blizzard
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2022, 03:08 AM by Shylo_Moxii. Edited 1 time in total.)

Shylo2022
2.)

a.) I'm taking Tampa. Strom Chamberlain with a brilliant season, and has had a great playoffs as well. Kozlov Topalo both being smart individual players could be the way to success. Los Angeles provides a good obstacle course, but I think Tampa has already climbed to the other side of that hill. Los Angeles beat Chicago who is falling a bit, but I see Buffalo and Atlanta being teams Tampa beat and I think they are much tougher opponents overall. 

b.) I think Los Angeles has to put their best foot forward. Defense for them has been solid overall. I'm sure it will be a tough task to ask Kahnwald and Kierkegaard to step up, but you'll also have to ask Wagner to step up and show he's the leader and show he can do this in this position he's been in before. 

c.) You have to play deep hockey. Team has a phenomenal top 6 they have to use that to their advantage need to work your way into the deep portion of the defensive core. Not try to work through that pair, but work around them. It's a very hard concept to try and execute, but it can be done. I think Tampa will do it.

d.) I think it's more showing the willingness to stop everything so they can win. It's a defensive measure. Defense wins championships, and it's no different in the final either. I believe it comes down to Tampa eliminating shots completely with blocked shots and doing all that you ultimately can to try and score, and you do tha by rolling out all of your lines and doing as much as you can to score.

3.)
4 Stars stands for Dedication, Teamwork, Effort, Selflessness. You must be dedicated to the cause no matter if you have the biggest role, or the smallest role on the team you must be dedicated to your craft, and to the team's craft. Teamwork nothing is done in hockey without teamwork you must be apart of the team and know your teammates. You must know your job, and only do your job no more, no less. Effort always give 110% if you do not give that much you will never win the hardest sport in the world. You give your all at all times whether it's getting back on defense, blocking a shot, or even going and scoring after you fly past a defender you must give your all. Selflessness you must not become selfish for stat chasing, to win you must win as a team as you lose as a team. All mistakes start when you become selfish. 

6.) 
If I'm adding a stat, I'm adding WAR (Wins Above Replacement) it adds in a competitive edge of all the things needed in percentages over the average replacement level in the league. So it will essentially tell that for every part of the game of hockey all rolled into 1, and it's not just a GR or OGR or DGR. It's just a way to define how good, or how bad a player is, and consolidate it and even simplify it for people to grasp and use as common knowledge in the league. This puts for advanced metrics such as Fenwick, and Corsi, but it also adds in defensive and special teams elements to it along with adding in QoC (Quality of Competition) and QoT (Quality of Teammates) to know if players are being carried or are being carried essentially. This would be an element that would also be used in every case for any awards, and anything that really creates an argument between 2 very comparable players in every little aspect.

7.)

+3 TPE - SMJHL Milestones S65

[Image: FR-B3jfXsAAvEaW?format=png&name=small]

CW Pass

[Image: 8NuVFvj.png]

Kenneth Lind (S78-)

Tomas Lind (S57-S78)

[Image: kennethlind.gif]
@Stadacona

[Image: canadice.gif]
@sköldpaddor @High Stick King @Ragnar

[Image: hKhKXUL.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2022, 09:28 PM by Kyamprac. Edited 5 times in total.)

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Do You Touch It? (150 words min.)
In the NHL there’s a well known superstition that any team that touches their conference championship trophy won’t win the Stanley Cup. Are there any superstitions like that in the SHL playoffs? If so, what are they? Where do they come from? Does your team or your player believe in them? Why or why not?

In the Los Angeles locker room I think one of the most common superstitions lately has to do with whether or not everyone should watch the sims. There are some folks in there who swear that anytime they don't watch the stream we do amazing, but as soon as they turn it on we don't. For example, Accka said whenever he turns the games on we lose, and attributes Karsikko's success in the crease at least partially to not watching at all. So.. just to be safe some folks are avoiding the sims entirely and relying on the rest of the locker room to provide them with updates on what's happening. The rational side of me figures there's no way something like that could impact the sims, but you know. I don't think this is an uncommon practice for a few folks around sim leagues and why risk it when your team is on its way into the finals, right?

(160 words)

Code:

Milestones +3 TPE

Code:
9. Graphic, 3 TPE, Unorthodox
Coach is super late for practice when someone you’ve never seen before shows up and says they’re the coach now. They don’t seem to know what hockey is, or even how to skate, and are just shouting instructions from the bench! Are they really the new coach? Weird! Show me your team doing a strange practice drill that someone who has never seen hockey before might come up with. The weirder the better!

[Image: CW9.png]

Code:
17. Written, 3 TPE, A Few Of Your Favourite Things (150 words min.)
Last season I asked why you chose your IIHF country, and this is somewhat similar but I’m specifically asking for non-hockey reasons now. What are some of your favourite things about the country your player is from? Are there special sights? Cities? Maybe it’s food? All of the above? Do a little research on the country and tell me what you like!

My player is from Canada (and also me personally). Hockey love stereotypes aside, there are so many other things to love about it. Geographically we have a bit of everything.. prairies, oceans, badlands, desert, wetlands, permafrost.. but the rocky mountains out west in particular are probably one of the world's most beautiful sights. Like we're talking postcard worthy. Having the opportunity to go and see it regularly and still be impressed every time really is something special. Also the food. It's not always the most fancy, but boy is it delicious. I have yet to introduce a person to poutine who didn't love it, and it can be pretty hard to beat real Canadian maple syrup. Also donairs - apparently they're not super popular everywhere else? but they're delicious too. There's plenty of other more practical things to love too. Sure it's not perfect, but being able to go visit a doctor without having to pay more than regular taxes is pretty sweet. Anyways there's lots more I could list but hooray I've made my word count.

(162 words)

Code:
21. Written / Graphic, 3 TPE, Boss Fight (150 words min.)
Develop a video game boss fight based off of your team’s branding. Tell me what it looks like, what its strengths are, and most importantly– how you defeat it. ALTERNATIVELY for a graphic task, show me your player fighting the boss you’ve imagined.

[Image: CW21_copy.png]

[Image: kyamprac1.gif]
thank you amid, swoosh and eni for sigs! <3
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2022, 03:29 AM by Evil_AllBran. Edited 8 times in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

verification word: trivia

Code:

Milestones 3TPE

Code:
8. Graphic, 3 TPE, There Are Many Sticks Like it, But this One is Mine
Finally a major gear company has reached out to you about manufacturing your signature stick! For some reason that’s all they’re willing to do though, so it’s up to you to take it from here! Create a mock-up of your player’s stick! Include their name, and a bullet point list of some of its key selling points.

Link

Code:
11. Graphic, 3 TPE, Album Cover
Your favourite artist has suddenly gone wild for simulated hockey, and has approached you to join them on the cover of their latest hockey themed release! Show me your player posing on their dream album cover, with their dream artist.

Link

Code:
13. Graphic, 1 TPE, DALL-E? More like WINN-ING!
Since the ring task was unbelievably easy, I thought I’d try out another insanely easy graphics task. Try using OpenAI’s DALL E Mini to generate a Challenge Cup related image. It could be a championship ring, your player lifting the cup, a locker room celebration. Go nuts as long as you’re attempting to make it SHL related! The results will be weird, but it’s fun!  
LINK: https://huggingface.co/spaces/dalle-mini/dalle-mini

First of all, thank you for introducing this nightmare generator into my life.

Here is my render lifting the cup...please excuse my two-headedness.

Code:
22. Written / Graphic, 3 TPE, Gone Viral (150 words min.)
Your player unexpectedly has a video go viral on social media. Why? Does it make your player look good? Does it make them look bad? What happened and why was someone filming you to begin with? ALTERNATIVELY for a graphic task, show me your player being filmed in their viral moment.

Link

16/16 TPE

[Image: sigrotator123.gif]
 [Image: UEX4RCQ.png]  [Image: PHI-pepe2.png]  [Image: r2pSvNf.png]
Special thanks to Carpy48, Ragnar, Merica, High Stick King, Sulovilen, sothfacekilla, enigmatic and LeSizz for the signatures!

gm cw pass

[Image: 57771_s.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png][Image: CXrxOKM.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png][Image: zyyvIFD.png]

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

HO Pass
J GM Pass

[Image: Cracker_Pizza_sig.png?ex=6516546d&is=651...bb4003576&]
[Image: pride23gif.gif]

CW pass

Finland Update Page  Interview  Player Page  Wolfpack

[Image: Snussu.gif]

Thanks to everyone made sigs to me!!!! (Gif made by myself)

gm pass

[Image: izzy.PNG]

06-22-2022, 01:53 AMdmuda11 Wrote: gm pass

gm pass

[Image: hallsy.png]

PT pass

[Image: outlaws2.png]  [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]  Mathias Seger #15 | Player page | Update page [Image: outlaws2.png] [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]
[Image: Segi.gif] 
Sigs by Donini, RainDelay, Fever and OrbitingDeath

06-22-2022, 01:53 AMdmuda11 Wrote: gm pass

gm pass

[Image: SHOWNOMERCY-KETIL-VIGN.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2022, 08:46 AM by OrbitingDeath. Edited 5 times in total.)

1 - 3 TPE: codeword:  trivia

3 - 3 TPE:
The first star of the four star cup is for Ivo Willems, the 1 season Vancouver Whaler legend did not provide them with any hardware, but he did end up getting a hall of fame nod that made the franchise proud. The second star of the four star cup is for Xander Green, I don’t even remember where I played for, but I thought he played for the Prince George Firebirds at the time. He moved on to a lifelong career with the New England Wolfpack right after their success story ended, this star is out of sympathy for a fucked up career.  The third star is for Vorian Atreides of the Colorado Raptors, he played most of his career for the Panthers and ended his career with the Barracuda and guess which two teams are now in the finals after he left. Another star out of sympathy. The last star is a star for the future and hopefully my player luck will once again be on the rise, Rebecca Montagne is hoping for a great career with the Winnipeg Aurora.

4 - 3 TPE:
The urban legend going around the simulation hockey league is that once a team touches the trophy prematurely, Hamilton will end up win them. Even if they don’t have a competitive roster, they will just win it by endless sim rigging. Where does this come from? Well, Hamilton winning way too many times in a row by sim exploits might have caused it and the teams just didn’t learn to adjust, so this urban legend was born. Rebecca Montagne herself does not believe in this and in the season that Winnipeg Aurora has won the cup, she will announce she has touched it before hand to lift the curse Hamilton has over the SHL, resulting in them never winning a single trophy again. This is the only way to regain parity in the shl and Montagne will be rewarded royally for her efforts in tearing down the dynasty that was built up. The people can finally rejoice!

5 - 3 TPE:
This person is actually not made up, it’s a player that turned into agent after his retirement. Jareth Sto Helit was drafted as the second ever pick of the Buffalo Thunder, but turned out to never play a game for them as the team relocated. The player moved teams mostly together with Ivo Willems, who he later would represent as his agent. After Ivo’s contract was up he went to free agency and he hired Sto Helit to do the negotiations with teams and let him make the final decision. In the end it turned out Ivo would be signing with the West Kendall Platoon, but the contract negotiated was not a normal one by any chance. Sto Helit, an avid lover of ponies, had negotiated that each season that Ivo would be active for the West Kendall Platoon, that their GM’s had to write a team related pony article. This clause actually was being held, also by their next gm in line. So while Ivo his performances with the West Kendall Platoon aren’t remembered, the way he ended up there is. And the stories of course, try to find them if you like!

7 -3 TPE:
Milestones - https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3232285

21 - 3 TPE:
[Image: J5nIJS5.png]

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)