Create Account

Dion

Quote:Originally posted by Kesler17@May 10 2013, 10:44 PM
Its Jim reims fault tbh did you see how week that shot was lmao.
lolwut

it was just as much O'Byrne's fault too he played it terribly

Quote:Originally posted by Secord@May 10 2013, 06:46 PM

lolwut
The shot = Weak

[Image: kesler.gif]
[Image: vgIymom.png]

Quote:Originally posted by ProdigyMcdavid@May 10 2013, 09:16 PM

Ya and see this is how i know the thing is a joke its based on plus minus and PPG so basically because he plays guys like PIT/BOS/NYR who are generally a consistently good defensive team and feed on the very weak east competition(The West vs the East winning percentage is over .600 in favor of the west) than Phanuef because he plays high plus minus players means there the best competition?. The stat is flawed in so many ways each year 3 or 4 east teams are eliminated before about 2 west teams are. The QOC is the same for every number 1 defender sorry Toews has a lower plus minus than Marchand but that makes Marchand the better competion in that stats eyes? im sorry but that just weak lol
I'm sorry, but you obviously haven't done much research into advanced statistics. First of all, it's obvious that all stats are flawed, no matter what metric you use. The main reason for this is the difference in how statistics are recorded in different venues. Madison Square Garden is the worst with this, recording players to be in completely different places on the ice when they scored their goals. Also, points are obviously able to be changed by another player on the ice, do you think Pascal Dupuis is a top line wing on any team other than the Pens with Crosby? No.

It's very difficult to build a statistic, but they don't base it off normal +/- also, they use the well-known adjusted +/- which changes things based on the skills of that player, the competition they face, and the teammates they play with. I find this is to be incredible stuff, and use these statistics frequently though still with caution. It's impossible to make a pure metric that can determine everything until we have exact values on more than we have. The likeliest way to do this: we need teams to give in and install the STATs SportVU cameras. When we finally start getting values these will be much closer to true value.

I just find it disrespectful of you to completely disvalue them because statistics can be flawed. This is the absolute best we have to value players, so unless you can pony up something better you should just accept it. At least someone cares enough about hockey to develop something to try and value players with a numerical value, which is extremely difficult. As people attempt to build better statistics, this is better than anything else we have to show other than the eye test of watching every last second that he's on the ice, and I guarantee no one does that.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

lol'd at someone thinking analytical stats are stupid.

If Dion had more points this season, he would have been my vote for the Norris.

Also Dupuis is a first line with or without sid Wink

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Taylor@May 10 2013, 09:40 PM

Every player is mouthy... It's part of the game.

Some a lot more than others...you'll rarely see Krecji or Dats be mouthy, they tend to talk with their performance. Sure there are times they all talk trash or bag on officials, but it isn't nearly to the same extent as Dion, Marchand, Subban, etc.

[Image: kickz_jr.png]
Thanks to Merica for my sig

Quote:Originally posted by NiiKe-KiiCkZ@May 10 2013, 07:05 PM

Some a lot more than others...you'll rarely see Krecji or Dats be mouthy, they tend to talk with their performance. Sure there are times they all talk trash or bag on officials, but it isn't nearly to the same extent as Dion, Marchand, Subban, etc.

Being vocal is some players game. Crosby does it all the time.

This article guy should just marry phaneuf

Quote:Originally posted by JayTee@May 10 2013, 10:02 PM
lol'd at someone thinking analytical stats are stupid.

If Dion had more points this season, he would have been my vote for the Norris.

Also Dupuis is a first line with or without sid Wink
I think you're delusional. Dupuis is 34 years old (backend of his career) and without Sid never did better than 20 goals (in 03) or 50 points. First line on a bad team, maybe. He's a fringe top-six player who gets enhanced by Crosbys genius ability with the puck. That you think he's first line without Sid makes me laugh at your obvious bias toward Pens players being great when many simply are not special players.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.

Quote:Originally posted by jkrever@May 10 2013, 07:43 PM

[b]Most teams don't play the matchup game like Carlyle does.
Phaneuf plays the top guys, and in his own end, every shift. Most other defencemen face a more even distribution of the opposing teams' lines but Carlyle is a matchup madman and Dion is the Leafs' top d-man so he makes sure he's on the ice to match up against the best.[/b]

What makes you say that? I am pretty sure most teams play the matchup game. If they don't, they have a terrible coach.

Quote:Originally posted by JayWhy75@May 10 2013, 09:23 PM

I think you're delusional. Dupuis is 34 years old (backend of his career) and without Sid never did better than 20 goals (in 03) or 50 points. First line on a bad team, maybe. He's a fringe top-six player who gets enhanced by Crosbys genius ability with the puck. That you think he's first line without Sid makes me laugh at your obvious bias toward Pens players being great when many simply are not special players.

Yup because his 8 in 12 without Crosby, is something we should scoff at. Or his 2 goals in these playoffs without him.

Also for future reference, the Wink smiley indicates sarcasm.

Quote:Originally posted by Boon@May 11 2013, 12:28 AM

What makes you say that?  I am pretty sure most teams play the matchup game.  If they don't,  they have a terrible coach.
I think what he means is that Carlyle plays it more aggressively. While most coaches will be fine if they don't match perfect for a shift here and there, Carlyle is much more aggressive about it. (I don't know this to be fact, haven't seen Toronto much I'm just guessing at what was meant there) Though, every team definitely plays the matchup game, there's just differences to how they do it.

Yeah, Kovalenko has been shit...

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

Quote:Originally posted by NiiKe-KiiCkZ@May 10 2013, 09:24 PM

I agree. Those things and he's generally mouthy. I just wish guys would shut up and play hockey. Marchand is the same way for us here in Boston. Be a pain in the ass, but keep your friggin mouth closed and play puck.

Komarov is like marchand but I don't think he speaks much English so he's quiet :lol:

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Quote:Originally posted by JumpierPegasus@May 10 2013, 11:57 PM
Yeah, Kovalenko has been shit...
I have to sit 39 games for stupidity Tongue

On a Sidenote, I thought this thread was gonna be about me Wink