Create Account

Dion

So the last two days, I've been particularly annoyed by STUPID Leafs fans getting on Dion's case and saying he's a terrible defenceman and it's his fault they're going to lose, etc.

Yes, he made a bad decision on the overtime goal (although there were two other major mistakes on the play, between Kessel and especially O'Byrne), but ultimately, Phaneuf is arguably the second biggest reason the Leafs are in the playoffs right now.

1. James Reimer
2. Dion Phaneuf
3. Phil Kessel
4. Jay McClement
5. Nazem Kadri

In my opinion, if you take any one of those five guys away in this regular season, the Leafs miss the playoffs. In that particular order.

Phaneuf, as much as people say he's overrated, I honestly think he's one of the most underrated players in the National Hockey League. First of all, you can't be overrated if everything thinks you stink. And he takes so much shit from fans and critics around the league it's not even funny.

Basically Dion plays against the highest quality of competition of any defenceman in the NHL, and it's not even close. At all. He plays the toughest opponents by a mile. He plays heavy minutes. He plays on his weak side. And he plays alongside terrible defence pairings (Gunnarsson is the exception but he still has a wonky hip and isn't himself, and Kostka and Holzer are not even NHL-calibre defencemen let alone belong on the top line).

there's an article I have for you to read about this by Jeff Veillette, who's smarter than just about any idiot that covers the Leafs' sports beat in mainstream media, to back it up.

I urge any of Dion's critics to read it. It may change your mind. Basically the guy is played only in defensive situations against the opposing team's top lines, and yet he gets ripped to shreds despite a successful season in those situations.

http://theleafsnation.com/2013/5/9/breaking-down-a-scapegoat

Ya I mean I wasn't happy with that one play and felt that was one of his weaker games he has played as a Leaf in general but one game doesn't change the fact that he was arguably our best player all year.....I read that article last week it is interesting.....Kinda makes Dion, well under-rated lol.

Im not bashing Dion loved him as a flame but i gotta bash this comment faces the best competition and its not even close? Im sorry but every top pairing defender in the NHL plays the same compition and id argue the west has it tougher theres alot more talent over there obviously Stammer Giroux Crosby/Malkin and Ovi are in the east.

But the most of the west top lines are better. Please provide one proof of how he plays harder competition than anyone when every top defender for every team in the NHL does the same thing. Theres no concrete way of proving who plays harder competition cuz no body does all number 1 defenders have hard match ups every single night no matter what team they play.

West Kendall

I say kessel goes above, but other then that, he has done good

7th overall for Phanuef imo

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

THANK YOU! Fuck, everyone trashing Dion for that game.

Quote:Originally posted by ProdigyMcdavid@May 10 2013, 09:54 PM
Im not bashing Dion loved him as a flame but i gotta bash this comment faces the best competition and its not even close? Im sorry but every top pairing defender in the NHL plays the same compition and id argue the west has it tougher theres alot more talent over there obviously Stammer Giroux Crosby/Malkin and Ovi are in the east.

But the most of the west top lines are better. Please provide one proof of how he plays harder competition than anyone when every top defender for every team in the NHL does the same thing. Theres no concrete way of proving who plays harder competition cuz no body does all number 1 defenders have hard match ups every single night no matter what team they play.
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics....12+13+14+15+16#

Quote:Originally posted by Secord@May 10 2013, 09:01 PM

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics....12+13+14+15+16#

okay and how do they determine QOC on the ice. Like its just doesnt make sense how you come up with that number. There are guys who log more minutes on D than Phanuef which means they generally play the top guys more often. Im just lost at how that number is created cuz im pretty sure every NHL defender thats a number 1 and logs 25+ mins plays basically the same competition night in night out. Its just weird is all cuz if i actually go an list every teams top line which a number 1 defender would be in charge of shutting down its the same for everyone.

West Kendall

Quote:Originally posted by ProdigyMcdavid@May 10 2013, 10:05 PM

okay and how do the determine QOC on the ice. Like its just doesnt make sense how you come up with that number. There are guys who log more minutes on D than Phanuef which means they generally play the top guys more often. Im just lost at how that number is created cuz im pretty sure every NHL defender thats a number 1 and logs 25+ mins plays basically the same competition night in night out.
http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2009/10/8/1...sked-question-2
Read this article, it explains how the stat works in pretty good detail.

Quote:Originally posted by Secord@May 10 2013, 09:08 PM

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2009/10/8/1...sked-question-2
Read this article, it explains how the stat works in pretty good detail.

Ya and see this is how i know the thing is a joke its based on plus minus and PPG so basically because he plays guys like PIT/BOS/NYR who are generally a consistently good defensive team and feed on the very weak east competition(The West vs the East winning percentage is over .600 in favor of the west) than Phanuef because he plays high plus minus players means there the best competition?. The stat is flawed in so many ways each year 3 or 4 east teams are eliminated before about 2 west teams are. The QOC is the same for every number 1 defender sorry Toews has a lower plus minus than Marchand but that makes Marchand the better competion in that stats eyes? im sorry but that just weak lol

West Kendall

He had a couple fuck ups today but it happens when you're logging major minutes.

That said, not a huge Dion fan... He's slow, half the time has little desire to get the puck and tends to take shifts off.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Quote:Originally posted by JVR21@May 10 2013, 09:17 PM
He had a couple fuck ups today but it happens when you're logging major minutes.

That said, not a huge Dion fan...  He's slow, half the time has little desire to get the puck and tends to take shifts off.

I agree. Those things and he's generally mouthy. I just wish guys would shut up and play hockey. Marchand is the same way for us here in Boston. Be a pain in the ass, but keep your friggin mouth closed and play puck.

[Image: kickz_jr.png]
Thanks to Merica for my sig

Quote:Originally posted by NiiKe-KiiCkZ@May 10 2013, 09:24 PM

I agree. Those things and he's generally mouthy. I just wish guys would shut up and play hockey. Marchand is the same way for us here in Boston. Be a pain in the ass, but keep your friggin mouth closed and play puck.
Every player is mouthy... It's part of the game.

Quote:Originally posted by ProdigyMcdavid@May 10 2013, 09:05 PM

okay and how do they determine QOC on the ice. Like its just doesnt make sense how you come up with that number. There are guys who log more minutes on D than Phanuef which means they generally play the top guys more often. Im just lost at how that number is created cuz im pretty sure every NHL defender thats a number 1 and logs 25+ mins plays basically the same competition night in night out. Its just weird is all cuz if i actually go an list every teams top line which a number 1 defender would be in charge of shutting down its the same for everyone.
Most teams don't play the matchup game like Carlyle does. Phaneuf plays the top guys, and in his own end, every shift. Most other defencemen face a more even distribution of the opposing teams' lines but Carlyle is a matchup madman and Dion is the Leafs' top d-man so he makes sure he's on the ice to match up against the best.

Its Jim reims fault tbh did you see how week that shot was lmao.

[Image: kesler.gif]
[Image: vgIymom.png]