Create Account

2 suggestions

Quote:Originally posted by Kevin "Juice" Bieksa@Aug 12 2017, 04:41 PM

Yeahthat
Yeahthat

Quote:Originally posted by Kevin "Juice" Bieksa@Aug 12 2017, 05:12 PM

nothing useful but I like u again because of your avi
o:-) just doing my best

Suggestion 2. Decent idea, I see where its coming from, but members should have to be in the league at least a few seasons or maybe 6 months-1yr before being eligible for a HO position. Need to establish themselves, learn about all areas of the league, from all viewpoints, player, gm, etc before being able to make decisions that directly effect these areas and the league as a whole. Walk before they run so to speak.

New members can always make suggestions in public and give input but I think HO positions should always belong to established well respected members who have a deep understanding of the league and have proven themselves over time to be capable and sensible contributors to the SHL experience.

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite

Hell no to the longer off-seasons, off-seasons are already much longer than the alloted 2-3 weeks for everyone that doesn't go deep in the playoffs, which statistically speaking is like 3/4's of the league.

The second idea is decent, I'm not sure if a strict quota is the best path of action but I'm definitely in favor of finding a way to ensure that all the different "generations" of the SHL are heard. But then again, was this really a problem in the recent past? At least to me it feels like pretty much all generations of the SHL are represented in the HO in one way or the other, we just saw two post-S30 members get the most votes in the recent elections for example. And really new members rarely apply for these positions anyway as they, understandably, don't feel ready. I'd agree with Esa here, we should make sure that newer members have their voices heard but most people will both want and need at least six months to a year before they are up to the challenge.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

I understand the worry of someone recommending more off season time, ive heard the horror stories of past off seasons. If thats not palitable.. than we should try and find solutions to be better prepared too bring in and excite the next draft class as well as allocate the time we have better.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

The updating issue could be fixed by updating regularly instead of taking a break during playoffs. Longer off-seasons suck and while it sucks to not have so many mock drafts it does allow rookies to get into games right away and write media about that.

The second idea actually makes a lot of sense to me.

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Pope [Leo
,Aug 12 2017, 06:05 PM]
Yeahthat

Yeahthat

1. Will just be a bitchfest.
2. Actually sounds like a solid idea Cheers

[Image: QhAQn2i.png]  [Image: yIvjn4j.png]

So what were the odds on how long it'd take to have people suggest a longer offseason again?

Super short offseasons are actually bad for fantasy- the longest running groups require a full 2 weeks to pick, so we have to start them before a lot of people actually get around to their regression. But fantasy is more of a luxury extracurricular activity than anything integral to the league, so it's just something we'd have to live with. Keep offseason as short as possible, it's the games that are interesting, not the wait.

No comment on the other matter, because I'm obviously biased af.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by Avakael@Aug 12 2017, 10:01 PM
So what were the odds on how long it'd take to have people suggest a longer offseason again?

Super short offseasons are actually bad for fantasy- the longest running groups require a full 2 weeks to pick, so we have to start them before a lot of people actually get around to their regression. But fantasy is more of a luxury extracurricular activity than anything integral to the league, so it's just something we'd have to live with. Keep offseason as short as possible, it's the games that are interesting, not the wait.

As the IIHF superstar, I'd honestly have expected a tiny bit of a different response. The medal games finished and a day later pre-season was supposed to start.

That's a little intense, isn't it? Either way, that time-table is a little too fast-paced, in my opinion.

I'm not advocating for a 3 month off-season, but maybe adding an extra week to celebrate IIHF winners and incoming SMJHL players isn't a bad idea.

[Image: dnlll.gif]

» Update Page | Player Page | My Twitter «
[Image: 2qcdsat.png] [Image: sAx3Llh.jpg] [Image: 16gwwf9.png]

Quote:Originally posted by spooked@Aug 12 2017, 05:37 PM
The first suggestion could be rectified by creating more TPE opportunities related to the new classes for SHL players also.

Not totally, but it might help?

Also, is there bonus money for draft related media every year? I cannot remember seeing a post about that happening this season, but I remember one a few season ago prompting me to write a mock first round.

I think the first suggestion identifies an issue that could be better handled on the site, but a longer offseason wouldn't fix much as you would potentially lose some early registers (which is already a big issue).
I think this is a really good idea to achieve some of the goals of the longer offseason suggestion without actually extending it. As an example, something like this but in reverse - veterans interviewing new members - could be one of the opportunities.

If there's a concern about TPE creep it could also just be for a media payout with some sort of bonus instead as there seems to be precedent for that if that will make it work out better for balance.

Jack Tanner (D) - [Player Page] [Player Updates]

[Image: mH3z832.png]

[Image: Beaver.gif]
One sig is tweed's and the other was a karlssens/Copenhagen collab

AC | Bank | Claims

I think this season is showing the bare minimal time we can reduce the offseason. The reality is, there are some things that have to happen before the next thing can happen (e.g. draft and FA before rosters can be done) These things do take some time to do, but I can't really see trying to shorten it even more.

New members missed out on such things as prospect tourney and media bonus week due to the demand for new sims. Which I get and share the enthusiasm for seeing how the team goes. At least the effort to shorten the offseason is being made and has been tightened up a lot over previous seasons,But we can't let the pendulum swing too far into over-rushed, either.

One thing that used to happen was the SMJHL being a week delayed from SHL, which did give that extra time for newbs especially to acclimatize themselves somewhat before being thrown to the wolves. Maybe that's something that could be brought back?

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

Quote:Originally posted by Steelhead77@Aug 12 2017, 03:52 PM
Suggestion 2. Decent idea, I see where its coming from, but members should have to be in the league at least a few seasons or maybe 6 months-1yr before being eligible for a HO position. Need to establish themselves, learn about all areas of the league, from all viewpoints, player, gm, etc before being able to make decisions that directly effect these areas and the league as a whole. Walk before they run so to speak.

New members can always make suggestions in public and give input but I think HO positions should always belong to established well respected members who have a deep understanding of the league and have proven themselves over time to be capable and sensible contributors to the SHL experience.
Fuck yeah, people worked to long and hard to get us to this point. Seeing a green member in HO and effecting major decision which they probably won't full comprehend is a bad idea.

But the rest of the thought is solid. Like Jala said though, who from the old guard really has the time or ambition to step into a revolving door position. A few yes but I don't think you will be seeing to many fresh face from older classes being represented.

No longer off season because again Jala was right! It's not long if you are in the playoffs, if not it's boring as shit and we loss people.

All great ideas unfortunately I don't see the current perposal of there implications being an advantage to us. But this is how we take an idea and build off it and possible implement later when it's polished and discussed further.

I won't tell you the actual time frame cause your not going to like it :lol:

[Image: c3936a1e67537ed2c9716b30ba8432ee.png]

BUBBA -- Roster===Updates

Bojo Machine
League of Accomplished Players
Player builder

extend the offseason?????

RIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIP

[Image: Dwy-Sig_copy.gif]
[Image: DzzMoaP.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Avakael@Aug 12 2017, 11:01 PM

I've been telling people all along. Shorter offseasons are actually worse for the league. We had no time to get things done, and this one ArGar was unable to do file work and we had to rush to find someone and they had to go absolutely mental to get things done, which again major props to Baelor for that. If we had just another week to the off-season, normally we get things done and I have the sim for another 3 days or so before preseason where we can play around a bit. Instead this is all rushed, we had our big blowout at the end with the Portland fiasco, and we haven't been able to test legitimately anything. Basically, the shorter the offseason, the less change we're ever going to have. FAs will have to be rushed, draft rushed, less media, less opportunity to do fantasy or an offseason PT or something, and no opportunity to test out some things we've been wanting to work on to adjust the sim and find ways of making this league even better.

We need longer. We need to take our time, make the right decisions on things, and be patient on it. It's difficult when you're going 100 mph all the damn time. I get it, people don't like waiting for games, but you'd also like if we could find ways to make the games better.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE