Create Account

Last movie you watched thread

Spangs u should include a short synopsis of what the movie is about in your reviews pls & ty.

ONLY AN 8 FOR DPS.

BRB CRIEING

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

Spangs should I watch Solaris or Side Effects right now?

Alive I watched it with gorlab.

10/10 a spirit lifting comedy with high quality special effects.

Quote:Originally posted by gorlab@Nov 27 2014, 03:24 AM
Spangs should I watch Solaris or Side Effects right now?

Side Effects. I prefer Solaris, but if I'm recommending a movie between those two, it'd have to be Side Effects.

Quote:Originally posted by Ochocinco@Oct 12 2014, 10:03 PM
Just watched Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow. Original idea, I really like Tom Cruise and the movie is just cool as fuck.

Have you never seen Groundhog Day or Mystery Spot (Supernatural Episode) similar ideas.

It was a good movie but not exactly original.

Quote:Originally posted by Frank@Nov 27 2014, 03:30 AM

Have you never seen Groundhog Day or Mystery Spot (Supernatural Episode) similar ideas.

It was a good movie but not exactly original.
Mystery spot is easily a top 5 Supernatural episode. Any episode with you know who in it is amazing

Thank you to My boys @Merica and @Ragnar for the lovely sigs!
[Image: wrexks.png]
[Image: WREXKS.png]

Draft Day, and it probably was my favourite movie of this year. Loved every minute of it.

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

Maleficent

Quote:Originally posted by gorlab@Nov 27 2014, 03:19 AM
Spangs u should include a short synopsis of what the movie is about in your reviews pls & ty.

Can do.

[Image: 215px-Synecdoche%2C_New_York_poster.jpg]

A theatre director struggles with his work, and the women in his life, as he creates a life-size replica of New York City inside a warehouse as part of his new play.

10/10 - Synecdoche, New York is undeniably one of the best films I have ever seen and, arguably, one of the best ever made. When I finished this one, I was absolutely floored and was on the brink of tears with my jaw hanging on the floor; I was that moved and that shocked by what I had just watched. Incredibly weird and at times almost unsettling, Synecdoche, New York is a tough nut to crack. However, before moving into my interpretation, let me discuss what I love so much. The direction, for one, is brilliant. Charlie Kaufman truly made his vision for this film into his own and in just one film, he has become one of my favorite directors. The acting is beyond brilliant. Delicate in nature and so artistic, it is just a treat to watch. The set design and writing are both of the highest order just are both impactful in their own unique ways. Truly a beautiful film in every sense of the word.

**SPOILERISH FROM NOW ON**
Now, this one can mean many things to many different people. I do not doubt that there are many interpretations of this one with all of them being right in their own way. For me, this was a film about life in every form: love, happiness, hope, betrayal, sadness, loneliness, and death, basically every element that make up every single person's life. Not only are our individual struggles not unique, but they are widespread. Everyone will go through all of those things in their life and while it may feel incredibly important to us in the moment, in the grand scheme of things, it means very little if anything at all. However, this sense of importance is what makes life almost like a play. After thinking about what I thought the film meant, I saw a quote by Shakespeare that essentially said that we are all the lead in our play, which is also something mentioned in the film itself. As depicted in the film with the continuous casting of new actors in the protagonist's play and the growing scope of the set, we all come together and play a role in the play that is life. We all mean something different to every person we come across and play many different roles in our life and embody many different personas.
**SPOILERS END**

But, what do I know? I am probably wrong on some fronts, but hopefully I am correct on others. Overall, this is simply a brilliant film with many different ways of solving it. Just watch it, please.

[Image: 215px-The_Deer_Hunter_poster.jpg]

An in-depth examination of the ways in which the U.S. Vietnam war impacts and disrupts the lives of people in a small industrial town in Pennsylvania.

9/10 - The Deer Hunter truly lives up to the hype and more for me. Absolutely brilliant film. Entirely sombering and one of the most emotionally distressing films I have ever seen. I honestly feel as though I may have PTSD after watching this one, it was just that emotionally powerful and resonant. Many claim that this one is a little slow and overlong, but I never saw that honestly. One of the main points of criticism is the wedding sequence, but if you cannot tell that the joy and happiness in that sequence is meant to directly juxtapose the sadness and emotional turmoil of the rest of the film, I am honestly sad for you, because that is one of the most brilliant pieces of this one. An entirely beautiful sequence, I could honestly watch the wedding for the entire three hours, because at least I would not leave this one feeling emotionally defeated. The Russian Roulette elements, and the characters' transformations from the first one to the final one, are immaculately filmed and just so impactful throughout. The direction from Michael Cimino is truly remarkable, as is the acting from the two true stars here; Christopher Walken and Meryl Streep. Walken steals the show throughout, but Streep's emotionally vulnerable performance (especially considering what was happening in her personal life with John Cazale at the time) is heartbreakingly beautiful and stands tall as one of the best performances in a film littered with them. Finally, the final half hour is pitch perfect filmmaking and, while entirely distressing, just so mesmerizingly perfect you cannot look away. However, in spite of all this, it is a touch long and in terms of war films, I do think Downfall and Saving Private Ryan are superior, though I would rank this one over other Vietnam films such as Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket. As a whole, The Deer Hunter is not for everyone, but I can entirely see why it is a classic and, to me, it deserves to be 100%.

[Image: 220px-Interstellar_film_poster.jpg]

A team of explorers travel through a wormhole in an attempt to find a potentially habitable planet that will sustain humanity.

8/10 - There are many things here in Interstellar that work very well and some that...fall short. However, as a whole, Interstellar is a major success. First off, the visual effects are...breathtaking. It owes a lot to films like 2001: A Space Odyssey, especially some of the visual splendor that was on screen, but there was certainly some influence from lesser known films such as The Fountain. Some of the sequences in that film are almost perfectly emulated here, with some obvious changes, but the influence is obvious in that sense. Many of the sci-fi elements are also indebted to films such as 2001 and other far-reaching and technically brilliant sci-fi films. Sci-fi film wise, this one travels very little new ground. The score here by Hans Zimmer is perfect and truly served as a great sonic backdrop for the visual ecstasy that was taking place on screen. Interstellar is also a very emotional film, brought to life by strong writing and, in particular, strong acting. Matthew McConaughey is brilliant, as are Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Michael Caine, Casey Affleck, and Matt Damon. They all play great emotional roles here and it is hard to fight back tears at times. There are a ton of brilliant elements here contained here and the space visuals are king of that, but I do feel the story faltered at times. Namely, the ending seemed...cop outish. They kind of a held your hand a little bit at the end and pointed directly at what you needed to understand. It also ended very sentimentally and it could have gone in a far different direction and, to me, the ending seemed fake. Finally, there are some things that just do not make sense in terms of plot (plotholes, somewhat) that are not overly important because I barely remember them already, but all the same. In terms of science, it also seemed to try and go too far and get technical with science stuff, which was unnecessary and, largely, out of mental grasp, which was a bummer.

Overall, Interstellar is an astounding achievement technically and visually, though it is far from perfect and rather than blasting it for its imperfections, I think perfections need to be celebrated thanks to the profound impact have on the viewer and kind of leave in a trance as the final credits start rolling.

[Image: 215px-The_damned_united_poster.jpg]

A look at Brian Clough's 44-day reign as the coach of Leeds United.

8/10 - Overall, The Damned United is a good film. Great performances from Michael Sheen and Timothy Spall, as well as assured direction from Tom Hooper ensure that The Damned United always stays entirely riveting and fulfilling. It feels a bit short at just a little over 90 minutes, but all the same, I would not change much here. It may not be the most historically accurate film ever, but watching Clough's career unfold was incredibly dramatic and, as a soccer fan, informative as well as entertaining. The shots of soccer were done brilliantly as well, as were the interactions between the managers and players. As a whole, there is not a ton to say about this one, other than: you will enjoy this even if you are not soccer fan, but if you are a soccer fan, boy do I have the movie for you.

[Image: 215px-Almost_famous_poster1.jpg]

A high-school boy is given the chance to write a story for Rolling Stone Magazine about an up-and-coming rock band as he accompanies it on their concert tour.

8/10 - Almost Famous is absolutely a very good film that I really enjoyed thoroughly. First off, the acting is great. Patrick Fugit, Billy Crudup, Kate Hudson, Jason Lee, and Philip Seymour Hoffman, are all stupendous. All of their characters are endearing in their own way and really steal the spotlight individually at times. The directing from Cameron Crowe is great and the story is told wonderfully. It really does not glamorize rock and roll of the time, but it certainly makes you fall in love with these flawed human beings as we interact with them through the eyes of a young 15 year old writer. We truly fall in love with these people as he does and struggle through the same struggles he does as a writer on this trip that changes his life forever. Ultimately, Almost Famous is a resounding success and a film that provides laughs, drama, and just enough of romance, to keep you interested. A truly great film.

I love weeks where I really enjoy all 5 movies I watch. Dat hot streak.

NICKYY OOOHHUG NICKY NOO NICKY.

I AM A GOLDEN GOD

Quote:Originally posted by pbb@Dec 5 2014, 03:46 AM
NICKYY OOOHHUG NICKY NOO NICKY.

I AM A GOLDEN GOD

DON'T MAKE ME CRY AGAIN, BOONY

AND "I'M ON DRUGS!!"

maze runner

[Image: pnI7R5r.png]

[Image: 220px-A_Beautiful_Mind_Poster.jpg]

After a brilliant but asocial mathematician accepts secret work in cryptography, his life takes a turn for the nightmarish.

8/10 - As a whole, A Beautiful Mind is a good film that is overshadowed by the performance of its lead actor. Yes, Jennifer Connelly, Ed Harris, and Paul Bettany, are all great here and in general, but holy cow does Russell Crowe stand tall. Truly a masterful performance from Crowe, his performance makes the film, though the film itself is certainly interesting. Ron Howard's direction is typically strong here and he does a good job telling the story of famed mathematician John Nash. However, where this film is most strong in terms of story is in its telling of Nash's struggle with schizophrenia. In a way, it really opens your eyes as to how it is to live with schizophrenia and suffering through the delusions associated with it. In a sense, this is one of the better films on mental disease ever made as it paints a very real, distressing, and disturbing portrait, all of which make you appreciate the genius of Nash all the more.

[Image: 220px-Shakespeare_in_Love_1998_Poster.jpg]

A young Shakespeare, out of ideas and short of cash, meets his ideal woman and is inspired to write one of his most famous plays.

8/10 - Shakespeare in Love is a victim of circumstance. Due to its Best Picture victory over Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line, many have written it off as horrible because it is not as good as either of those. Luckily, this is not true at all, as Shakespeare in Love is absolutely a good film. Bolstered by great direction from John Madden and wondrously elegant performances from Joseph Fiennes, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Judi Dench, Shakespeare in Love is a winner. Gregory Rush, Colin Firth, Ben Affleck, and Tom Wilkinson, also all stood out as very good. The production design was also really cool as it truly felt like a medieval times and all of it truly just looked very good. The costume design was also great. As a whole, Shakespeare in Love perfectly blends romance, comedy, and drama, all into one and really never fails to capture your attention due to the great production elements and great acting. All in all, not hard to see why this one was nominated, though winning may be a bit much.

[Image: 220px-Titanic_poster.jpg]

A seventeen-year-old aristocrat, expecting to be married to a rich claimant by her mother, falls in love with a kind but poor artist aboard the luxurious, ill-fated R.M.S. Titanic.

7/10 - As a whole, Titanic is certainly a pretty good film. The strongest element of this is the production elements. While outdated by the time I watched it, for 1997 it is very good. In addition, the disaster sequences were brilliantly executed and put together to perfection. It reminded me positively of 1970's classics The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno. Both are seen as the pinnacle of disaster films and this one certainly echoes those and improves on them thanks to advancements in technology. In addition, the film certainly has its beautiful moments. While the romance may be poured on a little thick at times, it certainly really shines at times and makes you feel chills all over. Leonardo DiCaprio is also good as Jack Dawson, though he does falter at times, in large part due to poor writing. I did not like the writing for much of this one and the lines were laughable at times. In addition, Kate Winslet's performance left much to be desired. She had her moments where she was great, but when paired with a much stronger actor in DiCaprio, he left her in the dust far too often. The supporting cast was strong for the most part, however, which was good. As a whole, Titanic succeeds most in capturing the atmosphere and events surrounding the Titanic. Both the sinking and aftermath of it are brilliantly moving and engrossing, which stand as the best part of the film to me. It certainly has its negatives, but Titanic gets more negative reviews than it deserves due to the at times sappy and unbelievable romance element, which is too bad.

[Image: 220px-Fresh_movie_90s.jpg]

Michael (or Fresh as he's well known) is a 12-year-old drug pusher who lives in a crowded housing project with his cousins and aunt. His father has become a street bum, but still meets with Fresh on occasion to play chess. Fresh is rather quiet in a crazy world. Fresh's sister is a junkie who sleeps with the dealers who Fresh sells for. As the story progresses Fresh realizes that he doesn't want to sell drugs anymore, he wants out.

7/10 - As a whole, I really liked this film. It is directed very well by Boaz Yakin and at multiple different times, it really leaves you awe struck, in large part due to how intense and raw this film can be. Truly powerful, this one is also blessed with great performances from Shawn Nelson and Giancarlo Esposito, as well as a strong performance in a small role from Samuel L. Jackson. This is one of those type of films that really sucks you into its world and you really feel like you are there with the characters. I also really liked how this one jumped between drama and thriller at times and it did so very effectively. Overall, a strong film, Fresh is certainly not a great film, but it is impossible to say it is not a good one.

[Image: 220px-VirginSuicidesPoster.jpg]

A group of male friends become obsessed with five mysterious sisters who are sheltered by their strict, religious parents.

7/10 - A very interesting teenage/pseudo coming of age drama, The Virgin Suicides has its strengths and weaknesses. First off, the acting is great from all the kids and adults, though I do not know if I am buying Kirsten Dunst as a 14 year old here. Just saying. Great acting and fit the beauty required for the role, but having been 14, I can confirm no 14 year old looked like that when I was 14. Anyways, the film is gently directed by Sofia Coppola and she handles the sensitive subject matter very well. The story is very interesting and very well told. I like the handling of the narration, as well. Narration can sometimes feel unnatural, but it felt like that was the only way to tell this story and it never really messed with the flow of the film. In fact, it really helped the flow of it. Ultimately, the film has a very distant and melancholy feel to it, which really helps drive home the story and really makes it hit you. However, that same distance can prevent you from getting into the film. You feel as if you are arm's length away from the film and prevented from getting any closer. In the context of the film, this can be effective, but in terms of pure enjoyment, this film would benefit from a feeling of intimacy that would really pull the viewer in. Regardless, The Virgin Suicides is a good film that tells this depressing story and makes it feel almost dreamlike and beautiful in a really twisted way.

[Image: 220px-William_shakespeares_romeo_and_jul...poster.jpg]

Shakespeare's famous play is updated to the hip modern suburb of Verona still retaining its original dialogue.

5/10 - Ultimately, Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet is a mixed bag. On the positive, the second half is great and just as effecting as it should and needs to be. While I obviously know what happens, this story never fails to touch my heart in some ways and move me in others and Baz Luhrmann's interpretation keeps this alive and does well communicating it. For this, I cannot hate this film. However, there are some negatives. Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes are not awesome. They are not bad, to be sure, but there are some moments that made me cringe. On top of that, the first half is comically bad. I could not help but laugh throughout as the modern interpretation of this one was beyond terrible in this portion. It improves in the second half, but damn is the first half embarassingly stupid and over the top. As a whole, Romeo + Juliet is not a bad film, but it is certainly not a good film. It is an interesting update to the classic tale, but has too many negatives to become anything more than that.