Create Account

S73 SMJHL PT #3 - Rivalry Week

My league knowledge is relatively little as I’ve only been in the league for these last few weeks. As a result I’m going to go with an in-division rival with the Quebec City Citadelles. These Owls currently lead a very tough 510 Division, not to mention the whole league at 26-5-2. They have a 13 point lead in the division and a 7 point lead for first in the league. This has to be the squad we have to have a target on. So far we’ve had three contests against them and have gone 1-2. Obviously we’d love to be 3-0 but considering how much they’re dominating I think this is exciting to see. We still have 1 or 2 more matches to go and if we want to win a ring this season we’ll have to face them eventually in the playoffs. So for short term rivalry, the Citadelles is 100% who I’d give that title to.

158+ Words

As the Grizzlies are still a relatively new team (they did not exist when I joined the site) it is a bit more difficult to say there exists these real intense rivalries. The obvious rival we have are of course Regina since they were added as an expansion team at the same time, this however is a bit of a lame reason for a rivality to have formed. The lack of real history between teams is sadly lacking yet, we do have something that could start to form as a rivalry. In S63, the Grizzlies went up against Newfoundland berserkers in the finals. Such a thing, is definitely still fresh in the memory of our franchise and given enough time and fights between our two teams in playoffs, has the chance to develop a real rivalry. If I could choose to start a large rivalry with any team, it'd be with another franchise named after an animal. I think it would be more fun if our rivalry with Regina developed as it would not only be two expansion teams against each other but also the battle between Grizzlies and Elks!

[Image: kO5aAZV.png]
[Image: 8NuVFvj.png]

PBE PT
[url=https://probaseballexperience.jcink.net/index.php?showtopic=33831&view=findpost&p=663611][/url]
Dorkdipplet -> DirkDigglet

Well, I will not be blackmailed by some ineffectual, privileged, effete, soft-penised, debutante. You want to start a street fight with me bring it on but you're gonna be surprised by how ugly it gets, you don't even know my real name- 

[Image: Muon-Collider-Sig.gif?ex=6581fbe3&is=656...5534def5e&]

Regina was one of the two most recent teams to join the league in season 61. Great Falls was the other one. Like most expansion teams, the Elk had a pretty rough start early on. It's been a good 10 seasons now they are mostly a mid table team, with the exception of s67 where Regina finished 2nd. But there is one sad fact about them, they never made it past through the second round. Meanwhile Great Falls made it to the finals once, they are our expansion rivals. On a more personal note, Henri Losanov would tell you the whole league is his rivals. He almost went undrafted after been penciled to go in the 1st round. Marco Barengrub would tell you Quebec was his nightmare while playing for Detroit and Carolina back in the early 60s. He just couldn't beat them and eliminated early on. Ti-Guy Emond would tell you the 4 Star Cup was the biggest rival, it's been 50 seasons since Colorado won it.

[Image: opt6vpu.jpg]

PBE Affiliate PT

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: Tqabyfh.png]

The biggest rivals of the Vancouver Whalers are the Maine Timber. After sweeping Vancouver 4-0 in the playoffs last season before moving on to the finals to win the championship leaving a bitter taste in Vancouver fans mouths after their historic run to the top of the league in the regular season. Maine opened Vancouver's season by demolishing them 11-3 since then the season series has been split 2-2 with the closest gaming being a 5-4 shootout loss by Vancouver and most recently a 4-0 Shutout victory for Vancouver. the goal differential between the two teams is a 26-20 lead for the Maine Timber.

The teams are slated to meet once more this season on 2041-2-12 where Vancouver will have the chance to bring the season series to 3-3. With Both Vancouver and Maine looking to be playoff bound again this season there is a possibility of another playoff match up between the two teams

Right now rivalry wise I have to go with the team who drafted the man that was bound to be my rival in this league. The Detroit Falcons and Teemu Salami. Salami and Wizard had gotten to know each other really well during the draft and the banter has only continued since draft night and continues when they meet on the ice. Fun fact is even when they are not playing in SMJHL, the two are still competing but on NHL23. Wizard also engaged in some trash talk in the preseason with another fellow in Detroit which has fueled the fire even more but the young rookie can not let it get to his head as Nevada has had a very rough start to the season but the rookie is still giving his all. This rivalry will become one to remember for the ages and is only relevant to me and Teemu Salami most likely lol.

[Image: IsJIh5s.png?format=webp&width=872&height=1066]

Historically I would say that Detroit's biggest rival was Montreal, which now exists as the Carolina Kraken. Things have felt different since the rebranding and relocation. I guess by default that would leave St. Louis as the biggest rival for Detroit. Still, while things with STL may be taken a little more seriously than with other teams, I can't recall a rivalry that really matched the Detroit-Montreal one during my time in the SMJHL. The teams had existed in the same conference since the SMJHL only had 6 teams, so naturally there were many tough matchups played in the postseason over the years. I can fondly recall a time where Detroit, down 0-3 in the series against Montreal, made a change at goalie and continued to reverse sweep Montreal. It led to some pretty funny meltdowns. With St. Louis at the bottom of the standings and Detroit near the top, you could say we are sitting pretty in our current rivalry standing.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]
[Image: KPt6Yuu.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2023, 10:33 PM by KalixIzalumi. Edited 2 times in total.)

(I have been told that QCC is one of the malamute's rivals as well as Maine.) As both Elly and I are newcomers, we are just getting introduced to our rivals. The "beef" between the afore mentioned teams revolves around those battling for highest scoring players, best in draft class, overall top competing players, and now that I'm here.... overall cuteness.  XD <3. For example we have the player Langston in competition with both teams over top scoring player. We have players trying to earn the most tpe possible and are competing in that way and various other stats. IIRC Mr. president is one of the top tpe earners in the league as well as other players from QCC and Maine. (sincerely apologize if i got the wrong name/player, but mr. president is a great guy regardless). Plus now I get to pout and make goofy faces over at Naomi and Ramen for passing up on me during the draft, and this is the competition I love to be apart of. I'll show them everything they miss out on because Yukon is the greatest team and best locker room. <3

I would ask you "please don't look behind the scenes". Any cuddling and/or headpats between Frøya and Elly (or Naomi and myself) are completely unrelated and strictly a part of the rivalry process.

Look, I'll be 100% honest. I have not the faintest clue who Newfoundland's biggest rival could be or would be for that matter. Not because I'm not invested but because I've been gone so long. If I had to take a guess, I suppose Quebec would be first. Newfoundland and Quebec are really the guardians of the northeast flank of Canada. Maybe even Montreal, I mean it is really pretty interchangeable. Right up there with Maine, so close and yet so far away but geographically not too far away for there not to be fans of both teams, especially during the last playoffs. I mean all four of these teams live and breathe hockey; and relatively speaking ARE the bread and butter sport for this region. So those would be my choices. As far as why, I think I covered that one in the big run on sentence that I started with.

[Image: YQkXo45.png]

The Regina Elk find themselves in the same division as two other SMJHL teams: Kelowna and Detroit. Now, I would love to tell you that Detroit is our biggest rival and we have legendary contests with that organization that will stand the test of time. Unfortunately, we will not be telling our grandchildren about how this season's Regina Elk and Detroit Falcons duked it out. Quite frankly, as a member of this Regina Elk team, I don't even think Detroit knows who we are. We could yell at the top of our lungs and they wouldn't hear a thing. At the time of writing, they've more than doubled our point total on the season. That's how far apart we are. We may hate them, but they don't hate us.

In this division, it's far more appropriate to focus on the race to the bottom between Regina and Kelowna. Two teams with absolutely horrible rosters and records simply getting their clocks cleaned every other day. A war of attrition currently exists between these sides. With a lead of two whole points(!!!), Kelowna currently tops Regina in the standings. However, Regina currently holds four games in hand, has scored nearly 20 more goals, and has twice as good of a goal differential as Kelowna. What I'm saying is, we might be bad, but we aren't as bad as those guys over in Kelowna.

Elk  Rage
[Image: cLeHjn1.png]
Sig by sulovilen!
[Image: 6eVg1pG.png]
[Image: 8E70VfU.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2023, 10:53 PM by RealDealer. Edited 1 time in total.)

Yukon. There are other examples of hard hitting, tight checking, close games, but Yukon is on top of the list. I mean, have you been to there barn, it's not a welcoming place and my toes tend to get cold early on, so it would be nice for the home team to come out and shoot early and often, as I like to be warm in there. I do value the little time we have outside of the rink and take in different experiences everywhere we go. Infact just a few days ago during our trip up north, we got some dogs together, tied them up to one another, then tied them up to a sled. We took a ride and seen the stars like never before. As for the rivalry, we understand hockey is a result based business, and it is our duty, not only as an organization, but as a man, a teammate, as the last line of defense, to put my best foot forward, and get the Job done. I do hope I get the Starts.

- Just Perfection

Maine timber and Saint Louis scarecrows are Yukon malamutes biggest rivals. Since I’ve been apart of Yukon since season seventy one and then came back season seventy five recreate malamutes have been battling to beat Maine timber and Saint louis since we do not like any of them. We lost multiple times to Maine in the playoffs each year barely. But this year is gonna be different since we lead the division of Maine by three games thus far in this season along with anchorage behind Maine and malamutes by seven games and last but not least Carolina kraken is last place in the division. Malamutes will seek their first cup in malamute history under Fluw and badwolf as head coach and co head coach. Wellerman and the malamutes will fight hard for the playoffs and to play in the cups final to beat the reigning champions Maine timber of season seventy four. We got lots of games to play and hope to see the malamutes continue to pound Maine and Saint Louis and the rest of the division.

[Image: b3ayEGX.png]

The third line for the Maine Timber have a particularly special rivalry with the Quebec Citadelles, due to the fact that all three players were born in and played junior hockey in Quebec. The three players spent most of their lives learning from coaches in the Quebec hockey system, and played with many of the players from the province. Maine has had a few games against Quebec so far, and they have not gone particularly well making it a rough start for the rivalry, at least for the Timber. Mia and Edouard Lavoie and JJ Franky JJ fully are working hard to prove that they can win in and against their former home team, the team they likely cheered for growing up! The trio fully intend to prove themselves and, ultimately, prove to their home province that they are the best players to have ever come from the province. It will take time as they adjust to the major juniors, but they are constantly putting in the work.

[Image: MittschiffsSHL.gif]